PDA

View Full Version : Free Demo of CompuTrak now on Web

thoroughbred
06-10-2004, 06:21 PM
As many of you know, I am the developer of CompuTrak. The latest version is CompuTrak 2004.

I want to let you know that we now have a Web Site:

www.revelationprofits.com

A free, full-featured, evaluation copy of CompuTrak 2004 can be downloaded from there. The download file also includes the full documentation, (also available for on line viewing when at the site):

User's Manual
Handicapping with CompuTrak 2004
Engineering Analysis of Thoroughbred Racing
Addendum to Engineering Analysis of Thoroughbred Racing

Among the items at the site itself are::

Testimonials
A copy of a letter of praise from Dr. Sartin
History of CompuTrak and description of all its handicapping tools.
A "Scratch" utility where you can quickly, and accurately,
get the new odds after horses are scratched. It's there for you to use as often as you like.

Visit the site and explore.

Rube Boxer (Thoroughbred)

Tom
06-10-2004, 09:21 PM
Thaks,Rube.
Will give her a looksee this weekend.
Congrats on the new website and good luck.

Hosshead
06-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Rube, Will CompuTrak use TSN Procap files ?

thoroughbred
06-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Hosshead
Rube, Will CompuTrak use TSN Procap files ?

Hosshead: Computrak is designed to accept the Bloodstock DRF single file format.

Can you tell me if the TSN file structure, (comma delimited), is the same as Bloodstock's?

Rube

Light
06-11-2004, 11:57 PM
I believe that Phillips review is from many years ago. Never understood how they can rate a program that returns 97%R.O.I. a mere 8.5.Seems like a contradiction.

TB,I would like your opinion as to what your R.O.I. actually is using the program(since you obviously have given it a more thorough test) and what can an average user expect as far as R.O.I?I am aware that it's allmost impossible to achieve 97%R.O.I with win betting.

thoroughbred
06-12-2004, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Light
I believe that Phillips review is from many years ago. Never understood how they can rate a program that returns 97%R.O.I. a mere 8.5.Seems like a contradiction.

TB,I would like your opinion as to what your R.O.I. actually is using the program(since you obviously have given it a more thorough test) and what can an average user expect as far as R.O.I?I am aware that it's allmost impossible to achieve 97%R.O.I with win betting.

Light. You asked why the 8.5 rating vis a vis the 97% R.O.I.
I couldn't read the reviewer's mind, but that's the test result they got and the rating they gave. They did say, in their article, that it may be worth a 9. By the way, at the time of their testing an 8.5 value was considered to be very good.

As to ROI. I'm the developer, and I have learned that most people take what a developer says with an "I'm from Missouri" response. That is one of the reasons that the testimonials are on the web site. You can evaluate what users say about the program while knowing that they have no connection with my company. Dr. Sartin's comments, also on the Web Site, about the theory behind the program, may also interest you.

Of course there is an easy way for you to find out for yourself how CompuTrak performs. We have such confidence in it, that as you know from my previous message, you can download a free, full-featured, evaluation version of the program from our web site: www.revelationprofits.com.

Full-featured means exactly that, i.e, it is the complete program.

So I encourage you to try it. It won't cost you anything to try, and, as I mentioned, you can determine for yourself how it performs for you.

headhawg
06-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by thoroughbred
Hosshead: Computrak is designed to accept the Bloodstock DRF single file format.

Can you tell me if the TSN file structure, (comma delimited), is the same as Bloodstock's?

Rube

I've looked at the file structures before, and can't remember all of the details, but most of the fields are the same. TSN files are missing certain info like DRF SR and TV, and the jockey/trainer names are recorded differently. Depending on what fields are used in Computrak it's possible that the ProCaps files might work.

What's with all the registration info needed for the demo? Makes me a little nervous to have to give that info out just to try out some software. However, at least you do make the full program available unlike some other developers.

Any chance to eliminate the time limitation and make it a number of uses limit only? As a recreational player I'm not going to be able to run it through its paces enough in 10 days to see if it's worthwhile.

thoroughbred
06-17-2004, 01:35 PM
One of the persons who was evaluating CompuTrak was kind enough to email this, which emphasized the worth of the horse's "Friction" number. (Recall, the lower the number, the better.)

Clearly, although the "Friction" number is always very useful, it doesn't always generate such great monetary results. But, once in a while-------.

Rube:

I am somewhat perplexed because this is not supposed to happen in the real world of handicapping using the traditional pace and speed numbers. Colonial Colony and Southern Image had the two lowest friction numbers!!!!!!! Here's the extract from DRF:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - A week after Birdstone shocked the sports world by defeating Smarty Jones in the Belmont Stakes, another upset of monumental proportions took place Saturday in the $810,750 Stephen Foster Handicap at Churchill Downs.
Colonial Colony, by far the longest shot in a field of six older horses after losing his 12 previous starts, nosed out favored Southern Image to win at 62-1 odds in the 23rd running of the Grade 1 Foster. He returned $127.20 to win and anchored several other huge mutuel prices, including a $2 pick four that paid $120,119.60. (More)

thoroughbred
06-18-2004, 04:03 PM
As I mentioned in the General Section, in reply to an input there.
But it also seems important to this thread:

Thank you. One of you was gracious enough to email a sample copy of a TSN file. I tried it on CompuTrak, and it works just fine.
It must be that the file structure of the TSN files is identical to that of Bloodstock.

Thanks again; I've learned something valuable.

PaceAdvantage
06-18-2004, 10:23 PM
If your program utilizes the DRF variants, I don't believe the TSN file includes those. There are a couple of other differences....

analyzer
06-18-2004, 11:01 PM
Rube- Just sent email before reading you had checked the TSN Procaps data file and it had worked. Glad to hear this. I will download the demo since I already use the Procaps data files. Thanks for the info.

thoroughbred
06-19-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
If your program utilizes the DRF variants, I don't believe the TSN file includes those. There are a couple of other differences....

P.A. Thanks for the "heads up." CompuTrak does NOT use the DRF variants. What it does is use the Bloodstock Speed Ratings to back calculate the variant. That has the additional advantage of accounting for the track pars, i.e.. not having to worry about horses coming from a different track as the Speed Ratings are normalized across all the tracks.

Since the Bloodstock Speed Ratings got printed out when using TSN, it looks like all is o.k.

I really appreciate your concern in pointing out the possible difficulty. Again thanks.

Rube

BillW
06-19-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by thoroughbred

Since the Bloodstock Speed Ratings got printed out when using TSN, it looks like all is o.k.

Rube

Rube,

They are not the same. These are Equibase figs. Not sure how they are calculated.

Bill

thoroughbred
06-19-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by BillW
Rube,

They are not the same. These are Equibase figs. Not sure how they are calculated.

Bill

Bill, Thanks. When I ran the sample TSN file that was sent to me, the output certainly looked fine. And it may still be o.k. The problem, I did not have a Bloodstock file for the same day and track to make a comparison.

This is something that I will have to look into to see just what is going on.

I may have to arrange to convert the TSN data, but then again, maybe not. I'll keep everyone informed.

Thanks again

Rube

BillW
06-19-2004, 12:47 AM
Rube,

I know that those figures (that exist in the same fields as the Bris figs) are identical to the figs. that appear in the Equibase programs. I have no clue as to how they relate. I seem to remember looking at them at one time and there didn't seem to be a linear coorelation.

Bill

thoroughbred
06-19-2004, 05:58 PM
Since the question of Bloodstock vis a vis TSN has been discussed both here, and in the General Section of P.A., I believe it is useful to post here, what I did there.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I downloaded today's (Saturday's) HOL data from both Bloodstock and TSN then ran CompuTrak using both.

While much of the output is identical, some of the important outputs do differ somewhat.

The relative values do seem to be consistent between the two, e.g., the highest and lowest values of each output appear at the same places.

For now, the thing to do is to continue to use the Bloodstock files, because CompuTrak was designed for them, and the results have been thoroughly tested over many years.

Thanks to all of you for your interest.

raybo
06-20-2004, 02:46 AM
Since your program is designed to use Bris' DRF single file format CDL files, would it work as well using Bris' MultiCAPS single file CDL files? All the data is in the same places but MultiCAPS adds some data between the DRF fields like RR and CR. I have tons of MCP files so this would enable me to give the software a good check immediately.

Thanks,
Raybo

raybo
06-20-2004, 03:59 AM
Am I to assume you will send me an email with the License Key? I went to the Registration page and filled out the required information but received no license key to be able to use the software.

Myhorse1_X
06-20-2004, 09:45 AM
I did the same thing. Downloaded the program, filled in the required information but no access code.

MyHorse1

thoroughbred
06-20-2004, 11:51 AM
Raybo, My Horse1,

Here's how:

1, After unzipping the file you downloaded, read the README.TXT file for some overall information.
2. Run the program, i.e. by running CMPTRAK.BAT. The way to get the license key will appear.
3. When finished, click the "submit" button.

thoroughbred
06-20-2004, 12:19 PM
Raybo, My Horse1

To be a bit more precise:

Download the zip file to your computer
Unzip that file to a folder of choice.
Read the README.TXT file
Run program file CMPTRAK.BAT to bring up Registration window.
Click Registration button within Registration window to be taken to our web registration form
Fill-out web form, clicking Submit when finished

lefthandlow
06-21-2004, 07:15 AM
well does any have a review of this software so far?Is it something different?I for one hate to try new software especially demo's seems all they do is screw up my macnhine along with my MIND...LL

Larry Hamilton
06-21-2004, 09:03 AM
I have no idea of it's value as I was caught in the endless security front end. I gave up after a modest effort to get it registered and licensed.

SAL
06-21-2004, 09:45 AM
I got the demo. It's more of a numbers generator rather than a handicapping program.

It doesn't give you picks. It generates unique figures that you still have to interpret in order to make selections.

The documentation gives you an idea of how the numbers are generated, but not how to use them. I think including some race examples would help.

But those who are looking for a program that will generate selections or an odds line will be disappointed.

headhawg
06-21-2004, 10:12 AM
I could get the initial registration program to work with XP (CMPTRAK.BAT ) on my laptop but not with Windows ME on my desktop.

I still didn't want to give all of the required info so I didn't bother registering, and after SAL's report and other complaints here I thinking that was a good choice.

thoroughbred
06-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Larry Hamilton

Sorry you had difficulty in downlaoading the demo.

Please try again.

Since the demo is full-featured, i.e,. nothing is left out of it, as is the case with some other demos, we do, obviously, have to have registration protection. Many of you have downloaded it successfully.

Perhaps you missed seeing an earlier reply outlining the steps:

Download the zip file to your computer
Unzip that file to a folder of choice.
Read the README.TXT file
Run program file CMPTRAK.BAT to bring up Registration window.
Click Registration button within Registration window to be taken to our web registration form
Fill-out web form, clicking Submit when finished.

Again, I am sorry you had trouble with it; please try again, and if you need more info, please contact us.

thoroughbred
06-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by SAL
I got the demo. It's more of a numbers generator rather than a handicapping program.

It doesn't give you picks. It generates unique figures that you still have to interpret in order to make selections.

The documentation gives you an idea of how the numbers are generated, but not how to use them. I think including some race examples would help.

But those who are looking for a program that will generate selections or an odds line will be disappointed.

SAL,

Yes, there is no odds line. But the documentation does tell you how to use the numbers. May I refer you to one of the documents that is included in your download, "How to Handicap with Computrak 2004" Included among the handicapping suggestions is a step-by-step procedure.

Yes, you are correct, it doesn't specifically choose the winner for you, but after employing the techniques in the "How To" manual, it does show you how think through the particular race situation to home in on the probable winner.

In addition, the "How To" manual advises that if one is interested in selecting only one data point to use for choosing a horse, for example when time is limited for you, the thing to do is to choose the horse with the best predicted finish time generated by the program. That has been shown to be a good method.

Sal, I hope this answers your question about how to use the program. If you have any other questions please contact me.

May I close with an extract from an email I received from one who recently tried the demo:

"Rube:

My limited test last weekend is enough to convince me that this is your best work so far. I am ready to purchase. Are you still offering a discount for existing users?"

By the way, there is a $50 discount for purchasers who are upgrading to CompuTrak 2004 from an earlier version

SAL
06-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Sorry, I read the user's manual, and I don't recall seeing a "step by step procedure". It advises you to pick a paceline representative of today's race.

But then what? When do you use the best "friction" number? When do you use the best "speed" number? Or the best "boxer" number? Or the "magic" number? All these ratings at one point or another might point to the winner, but when to use each one is where it gets foggy.

thoroughbred
06-21-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by SAL
Sorry, I read the user's manual, and I don't recall seeing a "step by step procedure". It advises you to pick a paceline representative of today's race.

But then what? When do you use the best "friction" number? When do you use the best "speed" number? Or the best "boxer" number? Or the "magic" number? All these ratings at one point or another might point to the winner, but when to use each one is where it gets foggy.

Sal,

I see where I have failed to communicate properly.

All that you have been asking about, including the step-by-step procedure, is in the booklet "How to Handicap with CompuTrak 2004".

The User's Manual, which you refer to, serves a different purpose, it describes how to run the program and provides the complete definitions of the various outputs.

The pertinent document, i.e., the one that will answer your questions, is one of the files that you downloaded. There it is named: HANDICAPPING.PDF.

You can also see it at our web site at the "Documents" link, where its full title is given, "How to Handicap with CompuTrak 2004."

I wish I had made this more clear earlier. Sorry.

Light
06-21-2004, 12:36 PM
I had a similar experience as Sal. I lost interest pretty quick. It really makes me wonder how Phillips used the program and got that big R.O.I. as novices the program.

thoroughbred
06-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Light
I had a similar experience as Sal. I lost interest pretty quick. It really makes me wonder how Phillips used the program and got that big R.O.I. as novices the program.

Light,

When Phillips did their test they used Predcted Finish Time to make their choices.

As indicated on our web site, their test was not recent.

They tested an earlier version.

The central core, of that earlier version, is still present in the latest version, with, of course, the enhancements of the upgrade.

Myhorse1_X
06-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Throughbred:

I did everything that you asked. How long should it be before I get the password? I assume it is e-mailed to me.

MyHorse1

thoroughbred
06-21-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Myhorse1
Throughbred:

I did everything that you asked. How long should it be before I get the password? I assume it is e-mailed to me.

MyHorse1

MyHorse1,

Yes, the replies are sent by email.
I assume that you have filled in the registration box, after running CMPTRAK.BAT

In any event, for me to check that we have received your registration ID, I need to know the email address you used.

You can email that address to me at: rpbprb@yahoo.com
so I can check to see if we received your request.
Regards,
Rube

thoroughbred
06-21-2004, 07:00 PM
MyHorse 1

I've checked and could see that for some reason, it looks like our email messages have not been delivered to you.

Using a different email address of mine, I just sent you your registration number, and extended your trial period to start all over again.

If, for some reason, you still don't get the email reply, let me know, here, through P.A.

Latin Qtr
06-21-2004, 07:58 PM
LOL its just plain too cumbersome. Why not just advertise and
let those who want to buy computrak buy it. Also, why don't
you show 30 consecutive days at one track. Yeah YOU REALLY
think that your product is sooo good, but that's your head talking
not ours. I think almost every system seller thinks he is a capping
God. Ask for proof and what do you get?

Lefty
06-22-2004, 01:27 PM
I agree, the reg. process too long and cumbersome for a 10 day eval. I think he would be better off without out for the eval and save it for buyers.
I suspect his numbers might be good or even very good but they are hard to organize and put into context. I have suggested the prgm needs a summary screen and hope he adds that feature.

Diamond K
06-22-2004, 07:33 PM
I bought this program when it first came out and there was virtually only a few numbers to work with (which I forget now) and I was super impressed and made quite a bit using it. If I remember correctly (it's been years) the few numbers hovered around zero or some low figure and was easy to see. I thought it a complex theory shown in a simple and useful manner. I didn't have to read the manual but just a few paragraphs to figure out how to use it as is was simply simple. I believe this is the program Phillips used for it didn't take a horseman to understand it.

Being a software junkie I upgraded....I think Ruben offered it free......and it changed the whole thing. The original numbers were changed and other factors added. I was disappointed but tried it several times, off and on. It just wasn't the same and I always wish I had that original program. However, I failed in using several programs that others claim to have made a fortune so I am not the know-it-all by a longshot.

This friction concept is sound and it worked with the original numbers (for me and I believe Phillips). I just don't know how to work with the upgrade which added alot and changed the whole thing. I lost the upgrade when my computer crashed.

I would love to have the original back. I wouldn't need any other program.

Diamond K

Lefty
06-22-2004, 08:16 PM
Let me just say that the Phillips Newsletter never do the computer reviews themselves but always farm them out to people
knowledgeable in both computers and handicapping.

thoroughbred
06-23-2004, 11:52 AM
Diamond K

You mention that you made quite a bit with the original CompuTrak program, that fhe "friction" concept is sound, and you wish you still had the original program.

I ought to tell you, although earlier versions of CompuTrak are no longer available, that the upgrades, e.g. CompuTrak 2004, include the very outputs that you found so useful.

What do I mean? CompuTak 2004 calculates, and includes as part of its output, Predicted Finish Time, Early Speed and Friction, which were the basic ones produced by earlier versions.

There is one diference though. In the upgrades, the Track Variant is computed within the program from the Bloodstock Speed Rating. The advantage of that is you needn't concern yourself with entering the variant yourself, and they hold across all tracks so shippers from different tracks do not requre special attention by you.

So, you can, if you wish, to just concentrate on using those fundamental outputs that you liked to use in the earlier version. The additional outputs, in the upgrade, are designed to give you more information to help you fine-tune your choices. For example, the "Form Number" tells you the present Form of the horse, a value obtained from his recent races and recent workouts. The purpose of the other additional outputs is similar.

raybo
06-25-2004, 12:57 AM
Well, I finally got the registration nightmare over with. Now, I ran the program and "read" it in Word. This is rediculous, if I'm doing it right. I have never seen such a sorry layout since the early days of computer handicapping programs. If my own program was as hard to decipher I'd just quit and get a regular job. Thank God it isn't! I assume that is DOS that you use to start the program, quite antiquated don't you agree? If you want ot sell this thing you might think about the user interface a little bit. It would take 50 times as long to handicap using your program as mine and I doubt it would be 1/10th as good. In short, unless I've done something terribly wrong, you can keep your program. It's not worth the trouble. Don't mean to be harsh but you've got a long way to go with this thing.

thoroughbred
06-25-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by raybo
Well, I finally got the registration nightmare over with. Now, I ran the program and "read" it in Word. This is rediculous, if I'm doing it right. I have never seen such a sorry layout since the early days of computer handicapping programs. If my own program was as hard to decipher I'd just quit and get a regular job. Thank God it isn't! I assume that is DOS that you use to start the program, quite antiquated don't you agree? If you want ot sell this thing you might think about the user interface a little bit. It would take 50 times as long to handicap using your program as mine and I doubt it would be 1/10th as good. In short, unless I've done something terribly wrong, you can keep your program. It's not worth the trouble. Don't mean to be harsh but you've got a long way to go with this thing.

Raybo,

May I respond to your comments?

1. Yes, registration is an annoyance. But you only have to do it once. Registration is necessary because the CompuTrak Evaluation Demo is full-featured, and free. Nothing has been left out. Obviously it requires registration protection.

2. Yes, it is DOS based, and we recommend that a word processor, such as WORD be used for viewing and printing the output. (Of course, for quick viewing, the text output can be brought up easily, using WordPad, which is usually already available on most computers.)

I'm sorry that you find this troublesome. But Windows still supports DOS, and CompuTrak 2004 is not the first version. Previous versions of CompuTrak have had the same output format, yet HUNDREDS of customers have used the program successfully without any problem.

3. I assume your estimate that it takes 50 times longer to handicap is just hyperbole to try to make a point. As I have pointed out, if you wish, you can handicap successfully by just focussing on the Predicted Finish Time. (That's all Phillips used in their test, which they did using an earlier version, quite some time ago.)

But, CompuTrak is also designed to deal with the well-known fact that handicapping is not a trivial process. We all know that handicapping requires much thinking and consideration of many factors. So CompuTrak presents more information, beyond Predicted Finish Time for you to use. Some of this additional information is based on concepts that are quite new, e.g. Horse Friction. (How Dr. Sartin viewed the new approach taken by CompuTrak is in his letter which can be viewed on our Web Site www.revelationprofits.com)

We also give you, (both in a file you downloaded with the demo, and on our Web Site), the document called "Handicapping with CompuTrak 2004" which is, in effect, a handicapping treatise covering handicapping in general, and how to get the most out of CompuTrak. Have you read it?

4. I am not familiar with your program, so I cannot comment. I trust that you, like we, present, for all to see, the principles behind your program, as we do, in the documents, "Engineering Analysis of Thoroughbred Racing" and its "Addendum." (Both are aso available in the files you downloaded, and on our Web Site.)

5. I guess, in the final analysis, everyone has to make up their own minds about handicapping programs. Fortunately, since the demo is free, anyone can test the program, without any risk, and decide for themselves.

6. It is almost always possible to make improvements and we will examine the user interface to do that, most likely it could be in the form of an output summary. When we do of course, anyone who has purchased the present version, would receive
an upgrade, at no additional cost.

Hosshead
06-25-2004, 09:58 AM
Some of the concepts in CompuTrak are intriguing to investigation(friction, etc.). But I would not be bragging about Phillips Racing Newsletter, as they are well known for Bogus Reviews. In fact there's an article, I think by Barry Meadow, about their dishonest reviews. Back when I was gullible enough to buy systems from them, NONE of their claims were true !

thoroughbred
06-25-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Hosshead
Some of the concepts in CompuTrak are intriguing to investigation(friction, etc.). But I would not be bragging about Phillips Racing Newsletter, as they are well known for Bogus Reviews. In fact there's an article, I think by Barry Meadow, about their dishonest reviews. Back when I was gullible enough to buy systems from them, NONE of their claims were true !

Hosshead,

Before Russ Dietrich died, (he was the founder of Phillips, I believe), they did a pretty good job of reviewing programs.

After his death, the quality of the Newsletter degraded rapidly.

Today, they tout handicapping tools that are absolutely useless.
So, yes I agree with you about Phillips today.

Fortunately, as I have pointed out, the Phillips review of CompuTrak was some time ago, i.e., BEFORE Dietrich's death.

I guess that I should take your advice, even though the test was before Philllips degraded, and just point to the CompuTrak testimonials from users that are available at our Web Site.

Thanks.

GameTheory
06-25-2004, 02:46 PM
Had an installation problem also. I run the .bat file and it tells me I need to register, but no registration window appears. However, it does list a web address (after I "continue" twice), but the web form wants a registration id that the program hasn't given me.

Looking at the task manager, "register.exe" is running, but nothing happens. If I run register.exe directly, nothing happens. Had to shut it down with "end task". I'm using Windows XP Pro....

raybo
06-25-2004, 03:58 PM
First, let me say that my original posting concerning this product was at a time of rather serious aggravation resulting from being put through your very poor registration system, only to be presented with a "DOS" based program that required another program to view the unorganized, poorly constructed output. I appologize if I appeared too critical or hurt your pride. That said, my response to your response:

RE: 1. Yes, registration is an annoyance. But you only have to do it once. Registration is necessary because the CompuTrak Evaluation Demo is full-featured, and free. Nothing has been left out. Obviously it requires registration protection.

I agree that registration protection is required when you are trying to sell a product. No problem, but my God, at least try to make it simple and without problems for the user.

RE: 2. Yes, it is DOS based, and we recommend that a word processor, such as WORD be used for viewing and printing the output. (Of course, for quick viewing, the text output can be brought up easily, using WordPad, which is usually already available on most computers.)

Have you ever thought about using a Windows interface? Most users are familiar with that interface and fewer and fewer are familiar with DOS, and even fewer like DOS. One shouldn't have to open another application to view the handicapped results. I'm just surprised that, after all this time, you're still using DOS.

RE: 3. I assume your estimate that it takes 50 times longer to handicap is just hyperbole to try to make a point. As I have pointed out, if you wish, you can handicap successfully by just focussing on the Predicted Finish Time. (That's all Phillips used in their test, which they did using an earlier version, quite some time ago.) But, CompuTrak is also designed to deal with the well-known fact that handicapping is not a trivial process. We all know that handicapping requires much thinking and consideration of many factors. So CompuTrak presents more information, beyond Predicted Finish Time for you to use. Some of this additional information is based on concepts that are quite new, e.g. Horse Friction. (How Dr. Sartin viewed the new approach taken by CompuTrak is in his letter which can be viewed on our Web Site www.revelationprofits.com)

Yes, I was making a point. The number 50 was an exageration, but not too much of an exageration. If all I wanted was some "Predicted Finish Time", then yes, your program would be adequate. My point was that the presentation of the data in your program is not very organized. It is amateurish looking and hard to read. Comparisons between running lines and between horses are difficult and time consuming, thus my comment on the length of time it would take to properly handicap races. Concerning Dr. Sartin's views of your program, I read nothing particularly flattering about the actual results produced by the program, only references to your "engineering" prowess and your attempts to apply those principles to horseracing data. It appeared that he was being supportive and kind. It was rather obvious that he did not really understand the math. I did not see a solid recommendation of the product as a handicapping tool.

RE: 4. I am not familiar with your program, so I cannot comment. I trust that you, like we, present, for all to see, the principles behind your program, as we do, in the documents, "Engineering Analysis of Thoroughbred Racing" and its "Addendum." (Both are aso available in the files you downloaded, and on our Web Site.)

I was not touting my program, only relating the difference in time involved, and with my experience of more than 25 years of handicapping and using my own program, staying my serious doubts concerning the actual value in real profits that your product might offer. I do not formally present the principles underlying my own handicapping program for all to see, (although I don't try to hide the methods or procedures concerning my approach to handicapping and wagering, (as you will find if you do a search of my posts), because I am not trying to sell my program and, therefore, don't need any kind of documentation that theoretically proves that my product is viable. I don't care, particularly, whether people believe my statements or not. Concerning your "Engineering Analysis of Thoroughbred Racing", the math is interesting and relatively complex, but the handicapping theory is rather mundane and simplistic.

RE: 5. I guess, in the final analysis, everyone has to make up their own minds about handicapping programs. Fortunately, since the demo is free, anyone can test the program, without any risk, and decide for themselves.

Yes, we do, and although I am quite satisfied with my own program I am continually exploring new methods and tools. By the way, I would never test a program that wasn't free. That would be rather foolish, don't you think? If it works, and you want to use it, then you buy it, after the test, not before.

RE: 6. It is almost always possible to make improvements and we will examine the user interface to do that, most likely it could be in the form of an output summary. When we do of course, anyone who has purchased the present version, would receive
an upgrade, at no additional cost.

For the future of your product, in my opinion, improvements must be made concerning the interface and the presentation of the output data. I don't think you have a choice. When you have accomplished that I would be glad to give it another try. Otherwise, it's not worth my time. For now, I'll pass.

thoroughbred
06-25-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by GameTheory
Had an installation problem also. I run the .bat file and it tells me I need to register, but no registration window appears. However, it does list a web address (after I "continue" twice), but the web form wants a registration id that the program hasn't given me.

Looking at the task manager, "register.exe" is running, but nothing happens. If I run register.exe directly, nothing happens. Had to shut it down with "end task". I'm using Windows XP Pro....

Game Theory,

It's clear from your post that you understand the process, and are even knowledgeable enough to have tried register.exe directly, on your own. Since, you are evidently experienced in computer systems, and, as of this writing, 98 downloads have been successful, we need to find out what went wrong.

Things to try:

Reboot the computer if you haven't already. Then try running register.exe directly.

Reboot in Safe Mode. In Windows XP this is accomplished by holding down the F8 key while the computer boots. From Safe Mode, run register.exe.

If neither of these suggestions help, please contact us again.

Your help in aiding us to find out what went wrong is very much appreciated.

Thanks for letting us know.

Buckeye
06-25-2004, 04:46 PM
Hey, what is all this gobbleygook, I thought it was a "free demo" :rolleyes:

Latin Qtr
06-25-2004, 05:11 PM
This is my suggestion. NO system should be for sale unless a
MINIMUM test accompanies it. That MINIMUM test should be
30 consecutive days of races from 1 track (at least). NO SKIPPED
DAYS. This reduces cherry picking races totally. So forget the
testimonials etc etc . Present the minimum test. And all this
convoluted DL & resgister.exe etc etc.

GameTheory
06-25-2004, 08:34 PM
Yeah, reboot did the trick. Couldn't try that earlier because I had something else running I couldn't stop...

thoroughbred
06-25-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by GameTheory
Yeah, reboot did the trick. Couldn't try that earlier because I had something else running I couldn't stop...

Game Theory,

Thanks. Since there have been so many successful downloads, and you, obviously, are computer experienced, you had us ccncerned a bit, when you had the problem.

I'm glad that the suggestion we supplied worked, and thanks again for following through and letting us know about it.

thoroughbred
06-25-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye
Hey, what is all this gobbleygook, I thought it was a "free demo" :rolleyes:

Buckeye,

You may have missed some of the earlier posts. It IS a free demo, but we have to have the users register it. Why? Because the demo is the complete program. Obviously, if we didn't arrange to protect it, anyonc could just keep the demo without ever paying for the program.

We felt that supplying the complete program as the demo, rather than supplying a demo that was disabled in some way, or only having partial utility, would give people a better understanding of the program.

thoroughbred
06-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Raybo,

Thanks for taking the time to present your suggestions to us.

We take your comments and those of others, seriously.

As I mentioned in another post, we will look into the question of the user interface. An additional output, which is a simple summary of the key outputs might be the way to go. There are some other things we are working on which may also address your suggestions.

Of course, anyone purchasing the present program, (which I still must say, has been doing well for many handicappers), will receive any improvement without charge.

Thanks again for your suggestions.