PDA

View Full Version : Track Name/Abbreviation Changes

highnote
10-12-2015, 02:13 PM
For racetracks that have changed their names and have new abbreviations in the past 10 years; any additions to the following list is appreciated:

Oak Tree at Santa Anita (OSA) = Santa Anita (SA)

Betfair Hollywood Park (BHP) = Hollywood Park (HOL) (defunct)

Philadelphia Park (PHA) = Parx (PRX)

Bellterra Park (BTP) = River Downs (RD)

Gulfstream Park West (GPW) = Calder Race Course (CRC)

Also -- what is the difference between Los Alamitos (LA) and Los Alamitos Race Course (LRC)?

Was Oak Tree at Hollywood Park (OTH) the same track as HOL? (defunct)

What about Oak Tree at Pleasanton (OTP) is this the same track as Pleasanton (PLN)?

Tom
10-12-2015, 02:31 PM
Also -- what is the difference between Los Alamitos (LA) and Los Alamitos Race Course (LRC)? LRC = Thoroughbreds, LA = Quarter horses

Was Oak Tree at Hollywood Park (OTH) the same track as HOL? (defunct) YES

What about Oak Tree at Pleasanton (OTP) is this the same track as Pleasanton (PLN)? YES

cj
10-12-2015, 02:41 PM
BSR was the new code for now defunct Fairplex (Fpx)

The LA and LRC aren't just the difference between day and night racing, the LRC uses the longer mile track while the night time sticks to the older turn that comes up quicker. Only 4.5f races are run on the night track.

I think you have all the ones I know can think of off the top of my head.

Stillriledup
10-12-2015, 02:58 PM

The LA and LRC aren't just the difference between day and night racing, the LRC uses the longer mile track while the night time sticks to the older turn that comes up quicker. Only 4.5f races are run on the night track.

I think you have all the ones I know can think of off the top of my head.

I think there was a 4 furlong race the other night, I don't ever remember seeing anything there other than 4.5.

Also there might have been a 7 furlong Arabian race the other night, so maybe they're branching out with different distances at night.

cj
10-12-2015, 03:03 PM
I think there was a 4 furlong race the other night, I don't ever remember seeing anything there other than 4.5.

Also there might have been a 7 furlong Arabian race the other night, so maybe they're branching out with different distances at night.

Yeah, Arabians have run longer distances for sure, that really isn't new. Was the race you saw 4f or was it 870 yards for mixed QH and TBs?

Stillriledup
10-12-2015, 03:10 PM
Yeah, Arabians have run longer distances for sure, that really isn't new. Was the race you saw 4f or was it 870 yards for mixed QH and TBs?

I could have sworn I saw it listed at 4f, but I'm not 100 pct sure.

Stillriledup
10-12-2015, 03:15 PM
Race 2 on oct 4th was 4F

highnote
10-12-2015, 03:19 PM

What did BSR stand for?

highnote
10-12-2015, 03:21 PM
Also -- what is the difference between Los Alamitos (LA) and Los Alamitos Race Course (LRC)? LRC = Thoroughbreds, LA = Quarter horses

THX ;)

Stillriledup
10-12-2015, 03:29 PM
What did BSR stand for?

Barrett's sales something or other.

cj
10-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Race 2 on oct 4th was 4F

Yep, I see it now. I don't do figures for less than 4.5F so I missed that one. Thank goodness those horses weren't taxed with that extra half furlong.

Stillriledup
10-12-2015, 04:11 PM
Yep, I see it now. I don't do figures for less than 4.5F so I missed that one. Thank goodness those horses weren't taxed with that extra half furlong.

:D

Yes, that mighta been too much!!

Longshot6977
10-12-2015, 05:16 PM
What did BSR stand for?

BSR= Barretts Race Meet at Fairplex

Track Collector
10-12-2015, 07:48 PM
For racetracks that have changed their names and have new abbreviations in the past 10 years; any additions to the following list is appreciated:

Oak Tree at Santa Anita (OSA) = Santa Anita (SA)

Betfair Hollywood Park (BHP) = Hollywood Park (HOL) (defunct)

Philadelphia Park (PHA) = Parx (PRX)

Bellterra Park (BTP) = River Downs (RD)

Gulfstream Park West (GPW) = Calder Race Course (CRC)

Also -- what is the difference between Los Alamitos (LA) and Los Alamitos Race Course (LRC)?

The bolded track pair are at a different physical location, albeit less than 1/2 mile apart. (The old RD track is obviously gone now.). The other pairs are the same physical track, except renamed, with the exception of LRC, which is a larger version of the older LA track. For the LA races they still run around the same turns as before.

Interesting to note is that the Evangeline Downs track designation (EvD) was used for two different physically-located tracks. The older track is located about 15 miles from the current track in an adjacent county, and last time I knew, was still used for training purposes. While not a problem today, years ago I thought using the same track designation was a bad idea because both tracks had different time pars. At least they did it right by naming the newer (or replacement) Beulah track Mahoning Valley (Mvr) instead of keeping it (Beu)!

highnote
10-12-2015, 09:05 PM
The bolded track pair are at a different physical location, albeit less than 1/2 mile apart. (The old RD track is obviously gone now.). The other pairs are the same physical track, except renamed, with the exception of LRC, which is a larger version of the older LA track. For the LA races they still run around the same turns as before.

Interesting to note is that the Evangeline Downs track designation (EvD) was used for two different physically-located tracks. The older track is located about 15 miles from the current track in an adjacent county, and last time I knew, was still used for training purposes. While not a problem today, years ago I thought using the same track designation was a bad idea because both tracks had different time pars. At least they did it right by naming the newer (or replacement) Beulah track Mahoning Valley (Mvr) instead of keeping it (Beu)!

So BTP and RD are entirely different surfaces in different locations?

Beulah and Mahoning Valley are probably around 200 miles apart.

Track Collector
10-12-2015, 09:35 PM
So BTP and RD are entirely different surfaces in different locations?

Yes, even if they are as close as 1/4 mile, or whatever distance it is. :)

The old River Downs track had a nice Turf Course (in addition to the main dirt track). The Belterra Park track has an even nicer Turf course.

highnote
10-13-2015, 11:49 AM
Did Indiana Grand have a different name or is this a new track?

cj
10-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Did Indiana Grand have a different name or is this a new track?

It was Indiana Downs, but the Ind code is the same.

highnote
10-13-2015, 03:22 PM
It was Indiana Downs, but the Ind code is the same.

THX!

duncan04
10-13-2015, 04:38 PM
Yes, even if they are as close as 1/4 mile, or whatever distance it is. :)

The old River Downs track had a nice Turf Course (in addition to the main dirt track). The Belterra Park track has an even nicer Turf course.

If they ever use the turf course. Lol. Trainers couldn't believe how many off turf races there were.