PDA

View Full Version : charts and chart callers

elhelmete
10-12-2015, 11:40 AM
I was thinking of this while listening to a recent Night School podcast.

OK, so I'm one of the guys who will sit on Equibase and hit 'refresh' until a chart gets posted for a recently-run race. Admitted.

But what would you rather see...

Charts get posted ASAP after the running of a race (the current system)?

Charts get posted after a race card is finished and the caller has extra time to vet out beaten lengths and trip notes (via replays)?

Tom
10-12-2015, 12:02 PM
Later.
Post just the results asap.

no breathalyzer
10-12-2015, 12:55 PM
post asap. i like when the chart caller misses things ;)

NorCalGreg
10-12-2015, 01:44 PM

I'd like to see a "quick" bare-bones chart...then, few hours after final, the deluxe full chart. Some outfit may even have that already, dunno.
It's interesting how different some chart-callers are. Some seem to be former journalism majors, while others lay out a format in as few words as possible.

Tom
10-12-2015, 09:42 PM
Speaking of Night School, last week';s is still not posted at their site or Byk's.
Byk's new site looks like it only goes back two weeks? Anyone know if all those old shows are gone forever?

Milkshaker
10-12-2015, 10:49 PM

Absolutely.

Plus, you have to figure in the reality of the job.

Most Equibase crew members I have met are not exactly pining for spending extra time after the final race has been run just to fine-tune their "craftsmanship" and give races extra scrutiny for the sole benefit of the end consumer (ie, the horseplayer).

Especially not at what Equibase is paying them for day rates.

classhandicapper
10-13-2015, 09:25 AM
If you are watching races taking notes yourself, you are probably looking for things that aren't in the charts.

If you are focusing your energies elsewhere, then the more complete the charts the better off you are because you won't miss anything.

cbp
10-13-2015, 10:27 AM
People actually use chart comments in their betting?
Hard to believe. If you have a clue, you watch replays and see things for yourself.

Tom
10-13-2015, 10:38 AM
I have a clue and I use the chart comments all the time.

cj
10-13-2015, 10:56 AM

Me too, why not let somebody else do half the work for you. Let's be honest here, most running lines don't need a replay to be understood. Sure, some do and there are some gems out there that are missed, but most are pretty straight forward and the chart callers do a pretty decent job.

classhandicapper
10-13-2015, 11:31 AM
One issue with charts is ground loss. Some chart callers are more detailed than others about what "outside" or "wide" or "inside" means and others are not. If you look at Trakus, then that's not much of an issue. I think they are getting better also.

cbp
10-13-2015, 11:38 AM
Your forte is spending money on the ideas/methods/programs of others, not race watching. Think about it: if you were to advertise that you were selling trip notes, how much interest would you get?

Thus, you rely on chart comments. Nothing wrong with that. You realize the deficiency and compensate, somewhat, for it

cbp
10-13-2015, 11:41 AM
One issue with charts is ground loss. Some chart callers are more detailed than others about what "outside" or "wide" or "inside" means and others are not. If you look at Trakus, then that's not much of an issue. I think they are getting better also.
A bigger issue is not enough calls. If we had position and lengths every 16th rather than 8th, there'd really be no need for sterile comments. Trakus SITE data has more calls. Too bad it's not open to the public

Tom
10-13-2015, 12:07 PM
Your forte is spending money on the ideas/methods/programs of others, not race watching. Think about it: if you were to advertise that you were selling trip notes, how much interest would you get?

Thus, you rely on chart comments. Nothing wrong with that. You realize the deficiency and compensate, somewhat, for it

I don't see a deficiency at all.
Not everyone handicaps like you do.
Some people are selling good trip notes.

no breathalyzer
10-13-2015, 02:10 PM
You will be surprised how many times when the chart says .. ''finished willingly'' wins next time out

cbp
10-13-2015, 02:16 PM
You will be surprised how many times when the chart says .. ''finished willingly'' wins next time out
For the race type 'cavalry charge', a race that has collapsed and many are coming late, I suppose that pretty much all will have 'finished willingly' in their comment line.
I'd very, very rarely want any of them back. You'd want all of them?

no breathalyzer
10-13-2015, 02:17 PM
I read the chart all the time. It is the first thing i do before re watching the replay of the race. i want to know what people are going to be seeing in these charts, then i compare the chart man with my own analyses. Sometimes we disagree . even simple stuff like chart man will say horse was 4 wide when he really was like 7 wide

no breathalyzer
10-13-2015, 02:20 PM
For the race type 'cavalry charge', a race that has collapsed and many are coming late, I suppose that pretty much all will have 'finished willingly' in their comment line.
I'd very, very rarely want any of them back. You'd want all of them?

I should of said when its the only horse the chart man gives this comment to.. lol its like a big sign saying please bet me next time. They seem to win more then you would think.

cbp
10-13-2015, 02:30 PM
Horses that run against biases finish willingly. But they don't gain any ground, so it's not obvious. Either the caller catches this but includes no mention of the bias; or it's missed. In either case, I really need to watch the race.

Etc.

no breathalyzer
10-13-2015, 02:45 PM
Horses that run against biases finish willingly. But they don't gain any ground, so it's not obvious. Either the caller catches this but includes no mention of the bias; or it's missed. In either case, I really need to watch the race.

Etc.
I don't disagree that's why i said shocked . my point is if you just a lazy sob and said i will just bet the finish willingly horse , they seem to do better then they should