PDA

View Full Version : American Racing Manual

Tom
10-11-2015, 01:30 PM
I like buy one every 5 years, and now is the time, so DRF has an ad for a digital version. But all you can do is click on it to buy it - no info as to what kind of a digital it is...is it PDF? Drf doesn't bother to tell you. If you go to the DRF store, no mention at all of it there.

I know from past experiences not to deal with people that are 100% incompetent, but I do want to buy this.

Anyone else bought one yet, and if so what, what the hell is the big secret?

(PS, DRF...fire everyone on your sales staff and hire one person who knows what he is doing)

Longshot6977
10-12-2015, 07:49 AM
They do provide a sample of the table of contents, and that is a PDF file. Couldn't imagine it being something other than the standard PDF format. Maybe send them an e-mail to make sure.

Saratoga_Mike
10-12-2015, 08:24 AM
I like buy one every 5 years, and now is the time, so DRF has an ad for a digital version. But all you can do is click on it to buy it - no info as to what kind of a digital it is...is it PDF? Drf doesn't bother to tell you. If you go to the DRF store, no mention at all of it there.

I know from past experiences not to deal with people that are 100% incompetent, but I do want to buy this.

(PS, DRF...fire everyone on your sales staff and hire one person who knows what he is doing)

I've been saying this for years - it's almost as if they don't want to sell their products. Everything is too complicated on their website.

thaskalos
10-12-2015, 02:02 PM
I like buy one every 5 years, and now is the time...
Buy it every TEN years, Tom. This game is so resistant to change...that you'll hardly miss a thing.

dnlgfnk
10-12-2015, 02:41 PM

Tom,

I'm electronic media illiterate...any more info here?

http://www.drf.com/news/daily-racing-form-releases-2015-american-racing-manual

Capper Al
10-12-2015, 03:19 PM
Buy it every TEN years, Tom. This game is so resistant to change...that you'll hardly miss a thing.

I'm overdue. I just have some resistance to putting out the cash, but I will in the next couple of years.

Tom
10-12-2015, 03:33 PM
I'm overdue. I just have some resistance to putting out the cash, but I will in the next couple of years.

My last one is 2009.
They used to have 1/2 price sales for older ones but not in a while.
Danged if I will pay full price for a 5 year old book.

$30 for digital is not bad.

Saratoga_Mike
10-12-2015, 04:07 PM
My last one is 2009.

That sale is usually around Christmas. I'd wait five or six weeks.

whodoyoulike
10-12-2015, 04:46 PM
My last one is 2009.

Isn't that manual huge in paper format?

So wouldn't it be difficult to read and use as a reference in a digital format?

Tom
10-12-2015, 09:34 PM
That sale is usually around Christmas. I'd wait five or six weeks.

I don't think the have had in a few years.
I've been watching for it.

The $30 deal caught my eye, If they had a salesman on their staff, I would have bought it already. Now, probably will just pass. Screw DRF. They are idiots.

fromoffthepace
10-13-2015, 02:13 PM
As I tried to backfill a collection, I've had some success buying older editions off of Amazon. Got a couple of them for less than $15, as I recall.

garyscpa
10-13-2015, 08:42 PM
Isn't that manual huge in paper format?

So wouldn't it be difficult to read and use as a reference in a digital format?

Searchable .Peru's are pretty easy to use.

Tom
10-13-2015, 10:04 PM
Peru?

whodoyoulike
10-13-2015, 11:39 PM
Searchable .Peru's are pretty easy to use.

I don't know what Peru means but I've reviewed and read a number of companies financials using PDF or HTML and they are difficult to navigate. I think the Manual would be a lot larger in a digital format. Unless you've figured out a good way to navigate this format, please let me know.

Obviously, I prefer the paper format.

plainolebill
10-14-2015, 01:01 AM
I still have the first one I bought, it was Secretariat's 2yo season. It's in a box somewhere in the attic.

I think they're interesting like Jane's Fighting Ships is interesting but not much help with handicapping.

I haven't tried the digital format.