PDA

View Full Version : Can an owner declare an Objection?

Longshot6977
10-10-2015, 05:42 PM
I'm watching the Queen Elizabeth II at Keeneland and am waiting for my Trifecta payoff with a nice $40 horse on top. The 2nd place owner has declared an objection on the winner. The :4: and :3: were not even near each other. I never saw an owner do this in all my years of racing. Just curious. It did stay up, but had me worried.

Stillriledup
10-10-2015, 05:46 PM
They should let bettors object, after all, bettors have a financial interest in the races outcome also.

Fager Fan
10-10-2015, 06:13 PM
I'm watching the Queen Elizabeth II at Keeneland and am waiting for my Trifecta payoff with a nice $40 horse on top. The 2nd place owner has declared an objection on the winner. The :4: and :3: were not even near each other. I never saw an owner do this in all my years of racing. Just curious. It did stay up, but had me worried.

I'm guessing there is an error somewhere here. Unless the owner is the jockey, he can't lodge an objection. Even the trainer can't lodge an objection.

DelMarJay
10-10-2015, 06:15 PM
I guess you missed where the #3 was almost put over the rail turning for home. Guess you missed where Donna Brothers said the jockey room was one sided in favor of DISQUALIFICATION! Blind, blind people.

Fager Fan
10-10-2015, 06:16 PM
They should let bettors object, after all, bettors have a financial interest in the races outcome also.

Yes, that'd work out really well.

I had a financial interest in the coffee maker I just trashed actually working but sh** happens.

DelMarJay
10-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Wow. Just Wow. Trainer and owner can and do lodge objections. Owner only did today cuz Motion was not there AND he was 100% right there should have been a DQ!

castaway01
10-10-2015, 06:30 PM
I'm guessing there is an error somewhere here. Unless the owner is the jockey, he can't lodge an objection. Even the trainer can't lodge an objection.

Trainers can most certainly lodge objections.

Longshot6977
10-10-2015, 06:41 PM
The :4: and :3: were not even near each other.

After watching the replay, you can see the :4: does cut in on the :3: at the top of the stretch near the 1/4 pole causing him to steady/check. But the question was more about owners declaring objections, not who was right or wrong. Thanks for the reply guys. I guess you do learn something new everyday.

SuperPickle
10-10-2015, 07:38 PM
My understanding is the objection was accepted from the owner because the trainer (Graham Motion) was not present.

They got it right. Both horses were off the rail turning for home. Both went for the rail at the same time.

Awful ride by Draden Van Dyke.

Donttellmeshowme
10-10-2015, 07:48 PM

Incorrect the trainer can lodge an objection.

NorCalGreg
10-10-2015, 09:00 PM
All I want to know is.......can the Trainer lodge an objection?

ultracapper
10-10-2015, 09:17 PM

And the owner doesn't?

You allow bettors to lodge objections and it would take an hour to make every race official.

ultracapper
10-10-2015, 09:19 PM

They do it often enough. I've never seen one work that I can remember though. Barry Abrams lodged one not too long ago and he was 100% right, but it only took the stewards about 4 seconds to tell him to piss off.

Stillriledup
10-10-2015, 09:53 PM
And the owner doesn't?

You allow bettors to lodge objections and it would take an hour to make every race official.

Not every bettor can lodge an objection, they would have to have a situation where a bettor would have to get an 'objection card' and that would entail proving he or she is a very big bettor. Also, they would track your objections, if you keep frivolously objecting, you lose your privileges, not every schmoe would be allowed to object.

OTM Al
10-10-2015, 09:57 PM
Just when you think it can't get more ridiculous.

ultracapper
10-10-2015, 10:07 PM
Not every bettor can lodge an objection, they would have to have a situation where a bettor would have to get an 'objection card' and that would entail proving he or she is a very big bettor. Also, they would track your objections, if you keep frivolously objecting, you lose your privileges, not every schmoe would be allowed to object.

Replace the word "bettor" with "poster" and the word "objection", and all it's derivatives, with "posts", and forward it to PA.

SG4
10-10-2015, 10:31 PM
The question I want to know is how does the owner actually physically lodge the objection? Who does he go to, and how does the recipient know this person is actually the owner & not some loon? Imagine there's some preferential treatment here as I doubt all owners have direct access to this option (can an owner with a 5% stake lodge a claim of foul?), but ready to hear some input if it's out there.

In the live shot I thought this horse was coming down for sure, couldn't understand why the TVG commentators were talking about the 2 horses never being near each other & this being one of the worst claims of foul ever, I could swear they're not watching the same race as me sometimes. Don't think the head-on made any foul conclusive though.

Donttellmeshowme
10-10-2015, 10:40 PM

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss

v j stauffer
10-11-2015, 03:36 AM
The question I want to know is how does the owner actually physically lodge the objection? Who does he go to, and how does the recipient know this person is actually the owner & not some loon? Imagine there's some preferential treatment here as I doubt all owners have direct access to this option (can an owner with a 5% stake lodge a claim of foul?), but ready to hear some input if it's out there.

In the live shot I thought this horse was coming down for sure, couldn't understand why the TVG commentators were talking about the 2 horses never being near each other & this being one of the worst claims of foul ever, I could swear they're not watching the same race as me sometimes. Don't think the head-on made any foul conclusive though.

Owners and trainers can indeed file an objection. At Santa Anita there is a phone near the owner/trainer box seat area as well as in the winners circle. The stewards have enough experience to detect if it's a crackpot or not. Never seen that one tried.

appistappis
10-11-2015, 03:54 AM
saw an owner object last year at ft erie.....he was dead wrong but that didnt stop him.

NorCalGreg
10-11-2015, 04:01 AM

About 4 people had posted verifying that yes, a trainer can lodge an objection....so I thought it would get a chuckle if I posted:

"All I want to know is.......can the Trainer lodge an objection?"

I notice a couple folks just didn't get it. SRU.....hands down, you are the funniest person on here. That above post is Hall-of-Fame material! And to think ONE PERSON didn't get it!! Go back and look. It's IRONIC !! Thanks for the laugh....lost my a@@ today, so could use a good laugh :D :D

HuggingTheRail
10-11-2015, 04:11 AM
In a certain circumstance, a bettor could call an enquiry, or at least that was what a friend of mine was told....

About 20 years ago, there was a race at our local track (Hastings), which had an entry breaking out of posts 6 and 7.

So the field should have been loaded 2,3,4,5,6,1,1a,7,8

The field was loaded 2,3,4,5,6,7,1,1a,8 - the 7 horse was slotted in before the entry, not after

A friend had bet on the entry, and as luck would have it, the front running part of the entry was 3 wide on the first turn (usually a big negative on the bullring). The horse faded later in the race, and he lost his bet. The story got a bit of the local media attention, and the "official" word (not sure if it was from the track or the stewards) was that he could have said something to the Clerk of the Scales before the race was declared official (at the time, the jockeys weighed in post race in front of the public, near the winners circle).

They don't weigh the jockeys at HST in front of the public any more, so I am not sure what he could do now if it happens again..... :D

ultracapper
10-11-2015, 04:13 AM
About 4 people had posted verifying that yes, a trainer can lodge an objection....so I thought it would get a chuckle if I posted:

I notice a couple folks just didn't get it. SRU.....hands down, you are the funniest person on here. That above post is Hall-of-Fame material! And to think ONE PERSON didn't get it!! Go back and look. It's IRONIC !! Thanks for the laugh....lost my a@@ today, so could use a good laugh :D :D

You thought wrong

ultracapper
10-11-2015, 04:16 AM

Actually, I think only one person DID get it. Go ahead, roll around by yourself on the floor of your comedy HOF.

NorCalGreg
10-11-2015, 05:19 AM
Actually, I think only one person DID get it. Go ahead, roll around by yourself on the floor of your comedy HOF.

who wizzed in your cheerios this morning?

Stillriledup
10-11-2015, 05:20 AM
who wizzed in your cheerios this morning?

He's jealous I'm in the HOF and he's not :D

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107719&highlight=Hall+fame

rastajenk
10-11-2015, 06:42 AM
I think there should be an inquiry into that, too. :cool:

onefast99
10-11-2015, 10:30 AM
I lodged an objection in a 1st level allowance race, the inquiry sign came on and after a 10 minute review by the stewards they didn't allow the objection. My horse was interferred with leaving the gate by the :1a: , the other part of the entry the :1: won the race. . During that time my horse couldn't run in a 1st level allowance race until the ruling came down from the NJRC. I did lose the protest but the other trainer was so upset that they held his purse monies for so long he doesn't even say hello anymore, and he was one of my previous trainers for 2 years. So to answer the questions yes an owner can object to the outcome of a race in both NJ and NY. A trainer can also object to the outcome of a race and of course the jockey will always be able to flag down an outrider to claim foul against another horse(s).