PDA

View Full Version : national announcers vs your local guys

Stillriledup
10-06-2015, 06:09 PM
Michael Kay show talking about how people want THEIR announcers for playoff games, what do you think?

Dr Gonzo
10-06-2015, 07:04 PM
Being a Phillies Phan, this is not a problem. :)

The Phillies TV announcers are as bad as they get, but when FOX has rights to a Saturday game, they will often hire one of the stooges to do the telecast. I'd love to hear a real sportscaster call the game.

Doc

proximity
10-06-2015, 07:31 PM
Being a Phillies Phan, this is not a problem. :)

The Phillies TV announcers are as bad as they get, but when FOX has rights to a Saturday game, they will often hire one of the stooges to do the telecast. I'd love to hear a real sportscaster call the game.

Doc

:lol:

it's a problem for me doc because i'm a phillies fan and a colts fan and (if you can believe this) tom mccarthy is now doing the colts games on cbs. :faint:

frank gore fumbles on the goal line every other game, luck gets hurt, andre johnson can't get open..... the mccarthy jinx. :faint:

Dr Gonzo
10-06-2015, 07:38 PM
:lol:

it's a problem for me doc because i'm a phillies fan and a colts fan and (if you can believe this) tom mccarthy is now doing the colts games on cbs. :faint:

frank gore fumbles on the goal line every other game, luck gets hurt, andre johnson can't get open..... the mccarthy jinx. :faint:

McCarthy makes so many mistakes, I wonder if he's even sober when working.

And then there's that mush mouth Stairs...........what ever happened to having a good speaking voice as a requisite to becoming a broadcaster?

Tor Ekman
10-06-2015, 08:01 PM
McCarthy did Mets games on radio a few years back, he was awful and got booted after just one year, I believe. Mets fans are now blessed with great TV and radio teams, Gary Cohen with Ron Darling and Keith Hernandez on TV, and Howie Rose and Josh Lewin on radio. There was some talk about Darling leaving to take Red Sox TV job but thankfully he's staying put.

ManU918
10-07-2015, 03:51 AM
As a Phillies fan its simple...Mute the tv and put on Scott Franzke and L.A. ...

lamboguy
10-07-2015, 04:55 AM
in the old days i remember some very good local announcers for the RED SOX. they had Curt Gowdy and Ned Martin. Gowdy atually started out as an announcer for the Yankees with Mel Allen before moving over to Boston. he called the last 7 years of Ted Williams career and the start of Carl Yastremski.

Dr Gonzo
10-07-2015, 05:50 AM
As a Phillies fan its simple...Mute the tv and put on Scott Franzke and L.A. ...

Problem is : TV signal is delayed by a few seconds and you hear the action before you see it. This is a novelty at first but becomes quite annoying.

Phillies: Can't hit, pitch, field or run the bases.....even the announcers are horrible. Other than that, they're great :)

rastajenk
10-07-2015, 07:19 AM
Michael Kay show talking about how people want THEIR announcers for playoff games, what do you think?
They did this back in the 70's, I think. I have a vague recollection about Marty Brennaman helping NBC during the 75 and 76 World Series. I think the home team radio guy did the middle three innings, something like that. Maybe. It was a long time ago. :D But I like the idea. Why not?

Inner Dirt
10-07-2015, 12:51 PM
Not much of a baseball fan anymore, but as a Dodger fan as a kid no one could hold a candle to Vin Scully. If the Dodgers made the play-offs and were on national TV I would just listen to Vin on the radio and watch on television as the TV and radio broadcast were synchronized.

As for now I just watch the play-off broadcasts on regular TV. If Tim McCarver is still doing those games the TV will be on mute. I don't understand how anyone can stand his constant babbling about nothing.
I mean he will comment on the stupidest useless crap. I can hear him now: "Did you notice?" "Alex Rodriguez scratches his balls with his left hand in the dugout, most players use their right hand." "When I played I
scratched my balls right handed like everyone else."

ManU918
10-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Problem is : TV signal is delayed by a few seconds and you hear the action before you see it. This is a novelty at first but becomes quite annoying.

If you listen to it on the internet you can match them up.When they did make the post season the radio broadcast made sure they were matched up with the Fox broadcast so there was no delay.

PaceAdvantage
10-08-2015, 10:51 AM
I can hear him now: "Did you notice?" "Alex Rodriguez scratches his balls with his left hand in the dugout, most players use their right hand." "When I played I
scratched my balls right handed like everyone else."I laughed.

cj's dad
10-08-2015, 01:33 PM
The O's have Gary Thorne doing play by play. He is great. The downer is that Jim Palmer is the color guy. Boring. He feels he must comment on every pitch.

cj
10-08-2015, 03:29 PM
I used to like the local announcers when I was growing up, but as an adult I get tired of the constant cheerleading you get from them these days. Maybe it was like that all along but I don't remember it.

I realize these guys are employees of the team and this is what they must do, but it can be brutal even watching the teams I support.

Stillriledup
10-08-2015, 05:56 PM
I used to like the local announcers when I was growing up, but as an adult I get tired of the constant cheerleading you get from them these days. Maybe it was like that all along but I don't remember it.

I realize these guys are employees of the team and this is what they must do, but it can be brutal even watching the teams I support.

The way I view it is that I'm inviting their voices into my home, and I know I would be pretty reluctant to invite someone over who was essentially rooting against me. I don't need them to root FOR me, but don't pull a Kruk and root against me.

Valuist
10-26-2015, 11:11 PM
Gruden is brutal as an announcer. Ravens special teams just block a punt and set up their offense at the Arizona 1. Flacco throws a 1 yard TD. Gruden exclaims, "Joe Flacco has the Ravens back in the game."

No idiot, the special teams got them back in the game.

cj
10-26-2015, 11:32 PM
Gruden is brutal as an announcer. Ravens special teams just block a punt and set up their offense at the Arizona 1. Flacco throws a 1 yard TD. Gruden exclaims, "Joe Flacco has the Ravens back in the game."

He loves every player and coach.

Valuist
10-26-2015, 11:34 PM

Everybody is the "greatest".

Tonight he was talking about how the Cardinals lost the Super Bowl to Pittsburgh. Real relevant.....one guy from that team is on the current roster.

NJ Stinks
10-26-2015, 11:45 PM

I had the same reaction, Valuist.

proximity
10-27-2015, 12:22 AM

doing the colts game next week will really put this theory to the test. :bang:

cj
10-27-2015, 01:12 AM
He is infatuated with Andrew Luck no matter how bad he has played this year.

proximity
10-27-2015, 01:43 AM
after our first three plays the superlatives will really fly when he sees the handiwork of pat mcafee! :rolleyes: