PDA

View Full Version : Goiodbye Moore's Law

hcap
10-06-2015, 06:13 AM
http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2015/10/coming-soon-quantum-computing-your-desktop-pc

Coming Soon: Quantum Computing on Your Desktop PC?

"A standard computer with, say, 50 bits, can be in any one of 250 states at a single time. That's about a quadrillion states. This state changes with every beat of the computer's internal clock, and eventually you get an answer to whatever problem you've programmed the computer to solve. By contrast, a quantum computer with 250 qubits can be in a quadrillion states simultaneously thanks to an aspect of quantum weirdness called superposition. Once you set up the program, you just collapse the quantum state and the answer is spit out instantly.

......it's possible that large-scale quantum computing could lead to breakthroughs in emulating human thought processes and speeding up the creation of artificial intelligence. Maybe."

/WXKJ-oUq6F8

rastajenk
10-06-2015, 07:27 AM
Dangerous stuff, seems to me.

ebcorde
10-06-2015, 07:54 AM
IBM believes he can solve the lottery using quantum math. He's been trying for 7-8 years now. He's been kinda close. He tests with the pick 4/5 I've seen his tickets lots of 3 of 5 for a $3 ticket. He believes based on patterns the same similar set of numbers come up. So if his program thinks a 24 will be on the ticket , he will pick a range of 23-24-25.

He's hits about 2 pick 4's a year.

GameTheory
10-06-2015, 01:23 PM
The biggest immediate change would be to security. A true quantum computer would render all current encryption useless overnight (and any future encryption based on extension of the same basic ideas). So maybe some sort of quantum encryption would be possible, or more likely a total sea change in the basic ideas of keeping information secure. (What that might look like I cannot imagine.)

So it would be very disruptive for everyone as it would destroy current paradigms.

On the other hand, the things you could achieve with a quantum computer are just staggering, and those are just the things we can think of now. The world will not be recognizable within a few decades of the arrival of such a computer...

Steve 'StatMan'
10-06-2015, 02:13 PM
I was just musing that perhaps the purpose of mankind was to evolve enough to create such advanced quantum computing, so that an infinite number of alternative realities could be tested in order to find the one reality that actually works the best for all the inhabitants. :D

magwell
10-06-2015, 03:26 PM
I was just musing that perhaps the purpose of mankind was to evolve enough to create such advanced quantum computing, so that an infinite number of alternative realities could be tested in order to find the one reality that actually works the best for all the inhabitants. :DDo you mind if I use this idea for my next script ?

Steve 'StatMan'
10-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Do you mind if I use this idea for my next script ?

LOL! Thanks for the compliment! Sure! Although if it means really big money, remember me a little.

magwell
10-06-2015, 03:46 PM
LOL! Thanks for the compliment! Sure! Although if it means really big money, remember me a little.No problem my man your in big time.......:cool:

Steve 'StatMan'
10-06-2015, 03:59 PM
No problem my man your in big time.......:cool:

Great! Go For It! :)

Marshall Bennett
10-06-2015, 07:20 PM
I was just musing that perhaps the purpose of mankind was to evolve enough to create such advanced quantum computing, so that an infinite number of alternative realities could be tested in order to find the one reality that actually works the best for all the inhabitants. :D
Only if bad-guys don't use it first to wipe us all out. :cool:

iceknight
10-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Only if bad-guys don't use it first to wipe us all out. :cool: There won't be any "bad guys". Skynet will become self aware.

Clocker
10-06-2015, 08:42 PM
There won't be any "bad guys". Skynet will become self aware.

Resistance is futile.

hcap
10-07-2015, 04:40 AM
Follow the money.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2015/10/06/apple_arms_race_buys_two_artificial_intelligence_c ompanies_including_perceptio.html

Is Apple in an Arms Race for Artificial Intelligence?

Bloomberg reports that Apple has bought Perceptio, a company that makes image-recognition technology for smartphones, its second AI deal in four days. Perceptio was developing "deep learning" technology for smartphones, that allowed phones to independently identify images without relying on external data libraries, Bloomberg said. Deep learning is a specialized field of artificial intelligence that's all the rage now. It allows machines to recognize patterns and learn on their own.

On Friday, Apple acquired another AI company: VocalIQ, a UK-based startup developing technology to help computers understand human speech. Google, Facebook, and Microsoft are all engaged in an AI arms race, hiring experts in

ebcorde
10-07-2015, 06:01 AM
Follow the money.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2015/10/06/apple_arms_race_buys_two_artificial_intelligence_c ompanies_including_perceptio.html

Bloomberg reports that Apple has bought Perceptio, a company that makes image-recognition technology for smartphones, its second AI deal in four days. Perceptio was developing "deep learning" technology for smartphones, that allowed phones to independently identify images without relying on external data libraries, Bloomberg said. Deep learning is a specialized field of artificial intelligence that's all the rage now. It allows machines to recognize patterns and learn on their own.

On Friday, Apple acquired another AI company: VocalIQ, a UK-based startup developing technology to help computers understand human speech. Google, Facebook, and Microsoft are all engaged in an AI arms race, hiring experts in

It's not a "learn from scratch" rather learn within limits else the application could go off the rails. all the rage?

I participated as a developer on a project that utilized similar technology. not on this huge scale, our project was on a very small scale for a specific purpose and on a different platform.

deep learning is a BS term ."deep" is a layered. I used layered NN'S all the time for work IN EARLY 2000. You have no choice, one NN is too weak, most likely to produce an incorrect answer. you take a problem break it into little chunks.

IN THIS CASE THEY'RE TALKING 10,000-MILLIONS OF small NN'S they'll need a lot of programmers and money.

hcap
10-07-2015, 02:07 PM
There have been improvements in NNs over the years. Particularly in image recognition. The article's title is what I was getting at.

There is no question the resources being used and invested by the large commercial players (and needless to say governments) are going to speed the rate of development of A.I. Advances in driver-less vehicles, as per both Google and Apple use newer deep learning NN based systems.

I was making the obvious connection between quantum computing and how that "quantum leap" in hardware will enhance A.I.

The Singularity may be sooner than we think.

Tom
10-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Resistance is futile.

Hey, now,
That's MY line!

NorCalGreg
10-07-2015, 02:52 PM
IBM believes he can solve the lottery using quantum math. He's been trying for 7-8 years now. He's been kinda close. He tests with the pick 4/5 I've seen his tickets lots of 3 of 5 for a $3 ticket. He believes based on patterns the same similar set of numbers come up. So if his program thinks a 24 will be on the ticket , he will pick a range of 23-24-25.

He's hits about 2 pick 4's a year.

It would seem predicting the lottery using quantum math and computing would be far easier than predicting the winner of a horse race......but is it? Just as there are patterns in "random numbers"...there are infinitely more patterns, biases, trends, etc., in racing. Nothing is random. The problem is, the human mind can't process all this...too many to be certain about anything. All we can do is make an educated "stab" based on experience and info we have.
I will guarantee you there are quantum math computer scientists at this moment, hard at work not trying to solve this unsolvable "problem"....but get as close as they can. And similar to your friend, Eb...already profitable.

ebcorde
10-07-2015, 05:41 PM
It would seem predicting the lottery using quantum math and computing would be far easier than predicting the winner of a horse race......but is it? Just as there are patterns in "random numbers"...there are infinitely more patterns, biases, trends, etc., in racing. Nothing is random. The problem is, the human mind can't process all this...too many to be certain about anything. All we can do is make an educated "stab" based on experience and info we have.
I will guarantee you there are quantum math computer scientists at this moment, hard at work not trying to solve this unsolvable "problem"....but get as close as they can. And similar to your friend, Eb...already profitable.

we were cube mates for 5 years, still keep in touch. it was fun, I write HR software after work, He wrote lottery software after work and we're cubemates. it's strange, his algorithm is keyed off the lowest number. He predicts when that number will come up and produces a set of numbers.
He was not winning until he cut back to the Pick 4. He was always doing Pick 5. yeah, patterns are all over racing , you right, it always comes down to an educated guess, no matter

raybo
10-07-2015, 07:18 PM
The problem I see with quantum computing is that, although a physical quantum computer already exists, the software side of the problem is a daunting one. Many years will pass before enough software is written to enable widespread use. And, since none of us will ever be able to possess one, with or without existing software that will allow us to actually use it, because of the enormous costs involved (to say nothing of the obvious regulations that will surely be placed on who may possess or use one), the perception of corrupt usage, against all the people not allowed to use or possess one, is not a just perception, it is real and inevitable. You can bet that the people who will have access to them are the same people who are currently and corruptly running this world.

Molecular computing is about the best we, as normal human beings, can expect to use, and that "we" does not include those of us who will die in the next 20-30 years.

hcap
12-10-2015, 03:33 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/12042781/Google-D-Wave-quantum-computer-is-100-million-times-faster-than-your-PC.html

Google’s new quantum computer is '100 million times faster than your PC'
Google and NASA have been working on a lightning-fast quantum computer that is 3,600 times faster than a supercomputer at solving complex problems

hcap
12-10-2015, 03:40 AM
Latest developments.
google "quantum computer" news

https://www.google.com/search?q=quantum+computer&newwindow=1&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiHsuWy8dDJAhXH1CYKHftrB44Q_AUIBygB&biw=721&bih=377

hcap
12-10-2015, 04:00 AM
http://www.sciencealert.com/watch-this-is-quantum-computing-in-a-nutshell

JhHMJCUmq28

PaceAdvantage
12-10-2015, 12:05 PM
Wish I could get one of those that runs Windows...lol

Tom
12-10-2015, 12:38 PM
That's like putting a gun rack in your Lamborghini.:D

raybo
12-10-2015, 03:02 PM
That's like putting a gun rack in your Lamborghini.:D

Yeah, or programming and running your PC with punched tape/tape reader or an audio cassette player/recorder. :lol: