PDA

View Full Version : It never ends in racing...Canani

Kash$
10-05-2015, 02:41 PM
Julio Canani mispresented condition of 6 horses so he could purchase for prices lower than they were worth.

Canani Suspended by Santa Anita Stewards (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QqQIwAGoVChMIkLCm4v2ryAIVSV4eCh3tnwWV&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bloodhorse.com%2Fhorse-racing%2Farticles%2F94909%2Fcanani-suspended-by-santa-anita-stewards&usg=AFQjCNGj-Ec2RFbioMkccCTFKEvG8gHxSQ)

Makes one wonder..

whodoyoulike
10-05-2015, 03:57 PM
I'm unfamiliar with the surrounding circumstances ..... was he the trainer for those 6 horses?

Too bad he was a very good trainer years ago, if it is true then he is unethical and has lost his moral compass.

Stillriledup
10-05-2015, 04:03 PM
That assumes he had a moral compass to begin with. Hopefully he finds it someday, I'm pretty sure California horse racing wouldn't suffer if he was kicked out. Maybe training is a right and not a privilege, who knows, I sure don't.

lamboguy
10-05-2015, 04:14 PM
i remember when this was taking place. Canani had trained a horse for Neilson that went to the Breeder's Cup for Neilson. Neilson wound up selling the horse to another trainer in California for $2 million, that guy sold it to one of the Sheiks for $8 million. it was TWO STEP SALSA.

from what i remember, Neilson had law suits against everyone. Cannani didn't have a good lawyer and they awarded Neilson a token $40,000.

congratulations to the CHRB for such a stellar job

whodoyoulike
10-05-2015, 04:24 PM
It sounded as if he rated the horses poorly then bought them himself or thru his related company.

Did I misunderstand the charges and ruling?

SRU, I do recall he was involved in some alleged shenanigans in the 90's.

rastajenk
10-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Makes one wonder..Makes one wonder what?

Stillriledup
10-05-2015, 05:32 PM
Makes one wonder what?

I would venture a guess that he's wondering what other BS went on that never got found out about.

dilanesp
10-05-2015, 05:33 PM
That assumes he had a moral compass to begin with.

I am not going to get into specifics, but SRU's intuitions are correct here-- Julio, back in the day, was certainly known as a high percentage trainer who was an "operator". I'm not surprised at all by this.

no breathalyzer
10-05-2015, 05:59 PM
I am not going to get into specifics, but SRU's intuitions are correct here-- Julio, back in the day, was certainly known as a high percentage trainer who was an "operator". I'm not surprised at all by this.

Whats that mean? Master of stiffing horses? sorry i meant astute training patterns ;)

Stillriledup
10-05-2015, 06:06 PM
Paulick has a good article from 2012 on this .

'Julio canani jury sends mixed signals' will provide article in google search.

whodoyoulike
10-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Missed this referenced Blood-Horse article in the link in the OP which is an article from 2012. It provides add'l info of the accusations.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/71050/everest-wins-case-against-canani-licht

Spalding No!
10-05-2015, 07:50 PM
i remember when this was taking place. Canani had trained a horse for Neilson that went to the Breeder's Cup for Neilson. Neilson wound up selling the horse to another trainer in California for $2 million, that guy sold it to one of the Sheiks for $8 million. it was TWO STEP SALSA.

from what i remember, Neilson had law suits against everyone. Cannani didn't have a good lawyer and they awarded Neilson a token $40,000.
The other trainer was A.C. Avila.

Ironically, the lawsuit could have gone the other way with Godolphin claiming that Avila and Canani overvalued the price of the horse. Of course, they were oblivious, with such ridiculous purchases being SOP for Godolphin.

nijinski
10-06-2015, 01:40 AM
Brings back the days of Sweet Catomine.

lamboguy
10-06-2015, 06:27 AM
i think that congratulations are in order to the CHRB for finally after trying for 25 years to get Cannani, they were able to ruin this 76 year old's life over NOTHING.

on another thread here about Bruce or Caitlyn Jenner we see how one man or woman was able to skate through the laws and beat the rap. trust me here, it was you or i on this deal we would be headed for jail. Cannani is just the reverse of this justice system, he's just a slob that just got railroaded.

Stillriledup
10-06-2015, 10:42 AM
i think that congratulations are in order to the CHRB for finally after trying for 25 years to get Cannani, they were able to ruin this 76 year old's life over NOTHING.

on another thread here about Bruce or Caitlyn Jenner we see how one man or woman was able to skate through the laws and beat the rap. trust me here, it was you or i on this deal we would be headed for jail. Cannani is just the reverse of this justice system, he's just a slob that just got railroaded.

They ruined his life? He'll be laying on manhattan beach sipping piņa coladas while training from the cellphone, he can work on his tan, he won't lose one horse, client or cent, he will come back rested and refreshed, no harm no foul, doesn't seem like getting a better tan is having your life ruined.

What am I missing?

onefast99
10-06-2015, 11:47 AM
For those that don't think this isn't happening all over the world they are in for a rude awakening. I have personally seen and witnessed several trainers who received monies directly from the sellers of the horse their client was buying. I'm not talking about the customary 5% finders fee but as much as 30% or more in commissions.
Mis representing a horses value is what Canani did and then he purchased and resold those horses for a lot more. Good for the stable that sued him and won, maybe more owners will step up and bring legal actions against those trainers who abuse the system!

Spalding No!
10-06-2015, 12:02 PM
They ruined his life? He'll be laying on manhattan beach sipping piņa coladas while training from the cellphone, he can work on his tan, he won't lose one horse, client or cent, he will come back rested and refreshed, no harm no foul, doesn't seem like getting a better tan is having your life ruined.

What am I missing?
Canani's stable size for the last several months has been around just 10 horses. Seems like retirement is in order anyways.

ultracapper
10-06-2015, 12:19 PM
The other trainer was A.C. Avila.

Ironically, the lawsuit could have gone the other way with Godolphin claiming that Avila and Canani overvalued the price of the horse. Of course, they were oblivious, with such ridiculous purchases being SOP for Godolphin.

I have absolutely no knowledge except public hearsay of A.C. Avila, but to see his name pop up on an issue like this doesn't surprise me one bit. I've always hated handicapping races, particularly cheap ones, in which he has an entry. He can be very difficult to read.

Fager Fan
10-06-2015, 02:05 PM

Railroaded? Are you kidding me? I only wish every thief in racing would have to pay the price. Instead, people in the industry don't even shun them.

Stillriledup
10-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Railroaded? Are you kidding me? I only wish every thief in racing would have to pay the price. Instead, people in the industry don't even shun them.

I couldn't agree more with this, you have slimy theives walking the back stretches and the honest trainers don't bat an eye, say a boo or do anything about it. If someone tried to rob my family and take money out of my pocket, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't just sit by idly and accept it.

Kash$
10-06-2015, 02:34 PM
I couldn't agree more with this, you have slimy theives walking the back stretches and the honest trainers don't bat an eye, say a boo or do anything about it. If someone tried to rob my family and take money out of my pocket, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't just sit by idly and accept it.

Who thinks Dutrow isnt still calling the shots?
:D

Stillriledup
10-06-2015, 02:42 PM
Who thinks Dutrow isnt still calling the shots?
:D

I don't know much about what he's allowed to do, maybe he's just banned from the physical track but not really banned from running day to day operations.

onefast99
10-06-2015, 02:48 PM
I couldn't agree more with this, you have slimy theives walking the back stretches and the honest trainers don't bat an eye, say a boo or do anything about it. If someone tried to rob my family and take money out of my pocket, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't just sit by idly and accept it. Sometimes being a whistleblower can create more problems than its worth!

Stillriledup
10-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Sometimes being a whistleblower can create more problems than its worth!

it would make no sense to blow a whistle if racing jurisdictions will just look the other way.

Ruffian1
10-06-2015, 03:10 PM
Sometimes being a whistleblower can create more problems than its worth!

That sums it up pretty well.

Ruffian1
10-06-2015, 03:21 PM

I don't know the whole story but if he sold low and misrepresented things for gain, which happens every day in all arenas that have an avenue for it, then he should be sent packing.
I watched some of this go on , like selling 4 thirds of a horse to different people. Unreal.
People like that , no matter the game, need to be shown the door IMO.

onefast99
10-06-2015, 04:01 PM
I don't know the whole story but if he sold low and misrepresented things for gain, which happens every day in all arenas that have an avenue for it, then he should be sent packing.
I watched some of this go on , like selling 4 thirds of a horse to different people. Unreal.
People like that , no matter the game, need to be shown the door IMO.He bought horses at a discounted price because he told the owners they weren't worth anything more. He then sold those same horses and profited based on obtaining those horses under false pretenses.

lamboguy
10-06-2015, 04:11 PM
of course he was railroaded, he had nothing to do with selling those horses. he just didn't have proper representation.

if you want to look at bag jobs, look at the way Laura De Sareax took down Jess Jackson along with Bruce Headley.

i know the spelling is wrong on Laura's name, i have no clue how to spell it.

at the time of this incident, Neilson was liquidating his horses. he asked Canani how much he though the horse could win for, he might have said $25,000 claiming or $10,000 claiming or allowance or whatever and Neilson sold the horses. some of them came back and won for more than the level Canani thought they would win for. he got sued for being asked and giving his opinion. one of the horses in question he wound up training for another owner.

Ruffian1
10-06-2015, 04:41 PM
of course he was railroaded, he had nothing to do with selling those horses. he just didn't have proper representation.

if you want to look at bag jobs, look at the way Laura De Sareax took down Jess Jackson along with Bruce Headley.

at the time of this incident, Neilson was liquidating his horses. he asked Canani how much he though the horse could win for, he might have said $25,000 claiming or $10,000 claiming or allowance or whatever and Neilson sold the horses. some of them came back and won for more than the level Canani thought they would win for. he got sued for being asked and giving his opinion. one of the horses in question he wound up training for another owner.

And this is exactly why I said I don't know the whole story but...

whodoyoulike
10-06-2015, 05:14 PM
See my Blood-Horse link in post #11 and understand what fiduciary duty really means. If you accept money for your opinion you had better be up front with everything.

Saratoga_Mike
10-06-2015, 06:08 PM

There was a court case. He exhausted all appeals. You think he had crappy representation throughout the entire appeals process? Sometimes I think you post stuff just to get a reaction from people....and here I am reacting, so shame on me.

magwell
10-06-2015, 06:22 PM

congratulations to the CHRB for such a stellar jobYep, you got that just about right, that was the horse that was at the top of the story, back in the day Canani was a very sharp trainer but his "say anything attitude" (like Dutrow) always rattled a lot of people's cage, I'm sure Vick would know more about the particulars.........;)

v j stauffer
10-06-2015, 06:38 PM
Yep, you got that just about right, that was the horse that was at the top of the story, back in the day Canani was a very sharp trainer but his "say anything attitude" (like Dutrow) always rattled a lot of people's cage, I'm sure Vick would know more about the particulars.........;)

Don't think so. Rothlesberger still out he's probably working on the game plan.

davew
10-06-2015, 11:52 PM
if the suit was settled in 2012, why did it take so long for the stewards to hand down a 13 month suspension? were lawyers fighting it until now?

whodoyoulike
10-07-2015, 12:34 AM
I think it is racing review process MO.

Isn't FRAUD a criminal offense with prison sentence penalties?

Is racing above the legal system process?

nijinski
10-07-2015, 02:23 AM

Find it odd that he was cleared when Sweet Catomine prior to her big race against the boys in 05 , is removed from track for treatment , posed as a pony and he knows nothing . He trained her . She then then comes in 5th place as the favorite . Gets sent to Shireffs barn and suddenly retired as a three year old . Very hard to believe as he had said she was in good shape for her last race . The former champion filly never raced again and I lost much respect for him .

Stillriledup
10-07-2015, 03:26 AM
I think it is racing review process MO.

Isn't FRAUD a criminal offense with prison sentence penalties?

Is racing above the legal system process?

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106148&page=1&pp=15&highlight=Laws

Lots of good responses in here from current and former trainers.

Fager Fan
10-07-2015, 04:56 AM

So Canani received no money in these transactions? I thought he bought the horses from his owner based on his valuation then turned around and sold them for a higher price. You can't do that, not when you acted as someone's agent.

lamboguy
10-07-2015, 08:43 AM
So Canani received no money in these transactions? I thought he bought the horses from his owner based on his valuation then turned around and sold them for a higher price. You can't do that, not when you acted as someone's agent.
Canani never got charged with the sale of TWO STEP SALSA. the owner was liquidating all his horses everywhere. he sued everyone that came into contact with any of his horses. Canani didn't buy the horses, he just advised his client on the value of his claiming horses. 1 of the horses that got sold wound up back in Canani's barn with a different owner. because of that he got a judgement against him for supposed collusion because the horse ran and won for more than he was sold for and another won went to someone else and also won for more of a tag than he was sold for.

i would think that your average jury is not that sophisticated in the race horse claiming business and could be easily convinced from either side. in my opinion, Canani had poor representation on this case. he was being sued for a lot more than the eventual judgement.

it took the CHRB 3 years after the civil trials were over. obviously to me someone had it in for Canani and the board found a way to act. i promise you that this is not the first time an owner has felt like he has been sold out by his trusted trainer.

i am not trying to defend Canani or just write about something on this board just to write about it. in fairness to fair, this railroad was not right no matter what the mans past is all about, and from what i gather there are a lot of people that don't like this man.

Saratoga_Mike
10-07-2015, 08:44 AM

While I like Lambo, his posts aren't always factual - so be careful. If you really care, I suspect the civil proceedings are available on the court's website. I haven't ck'd, though.

Tall One
10-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Don't think so. Rothlesberger still out he's probably working on the game plan.

Well played... :ThmbUp:

Ruffian1
10-07-2015, 09:55 AM
Canani never got charged with the sale of TWO STEP SALSA. the owner was liquidating all his horses everywhere. he sued everyone that came into contact with any of his horses. Canani didn't buy the horses, he just advised his client on the value of his claiming horses. 1 of the horses that got sold wound up back in Canani's barn with a different owner. because of that he got a judgement against him for supposed collusion because the horse ran and won for more than he was sold for and another won went to someone else and also won for more of a tag than he was sold for.

i would think that your average jury is not that sophisticated in the race horse claiming business and could be easily convinced from either side. in my opinion, Canani had poor representation on this case. he was being sued for a lot more than the eventual judgement.

it took the CHRB 3 years after the civil trials were over. obviously to me someone had it in for Canani and the board found a way to act. i promise you that this is not the first time an owner has felt like he has been sold out by his trusted trainer.

i am not trying to defend Canani or just write about something on this board just to write about it. in fairness to fair, this railroad was not right no matter what the mans past is all about, and from what i gather there are a lot of people that don't like this man.

If he never was charged with a two step salsa, but indeed DID do the two step salsa, he is then certainly guilty of that. I have no tolerance for it. That move is as slimy and low class as it comes. It is stealing, plain and simple.
I will defend horsemen for plenty of things, especially incorrect assumptions which there are a ton of in here. But no way I defend anybody that pulls a two step salsa. Convicted or not, if he did it, he should be toast. People like that deserve the boot in any form of business, not just racing.

lamboguy
10-07-2015, 09:59 AM
While I like Lambo, his posts aren't always factual - so be careful. If you really care, I suspect the civil proceedings are available on the court's website. I haven't ck'd, though.this was a lawsuit of $1 million that took a 6 week trial to prove and the jury saw fit to award the plaintiff $37,500 from Canani. this supposedly was a compromise settlement. i am not going to pay thousands of dollars to order a transcript but this piece from Ray Paulick says what the case was about. http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/jury-sends-mixed-signals-in-everest-stables-lawsuit-against-canani-licht/

onefast99
10-07-2015, 10:10 AM

i am not trying to defend Canani or just write about something on this board just to write about it. in fairness to fair, this railroad was not right no matter what the mans past is all about, and from what i gather there are a lot of people that don't like this man.Rule number one in the claiming game, buyer beware! Rule number two don't let someone else play with your hard earned money or make financial decisions for you if they aren't a financial advisor. Most trainers are honest but sometimes the temptation of making a lot of money in a short period of time will change that in a heartbeat.

lamboguy
10-07-2015, 10:16 AM
If he never was charged with a two step salsa, but indeed DID do the two step salsa, he is then certainly guilty of that. I have no tolerance for it. That move is as slimy and low class as it comes. It is stealing, plain and simple.
I will defend horsemen for plenty of things, especially incorrect assumptions which there are a ton of in here. But no way I defend anybody that pulls a two step salsa. Convicted or not, if he did it, he should be toast. People like that deserve the boot in any form of business, not just racing.i am not disagreeing with that. this game needs to cleaned up. if you can read into this you will understand that Nielson is not exactly a rookie at this game. the man liquidated his horses at that time for whatever personal reason's he might have. many times when someone liquidates anything they don't get anywhere near the value of their property. its one thing to have someone looking to buy your property, its another for the owner looking for buyers to buy the property.

i wouldn't be happy either if i sold my property for $1.4 million on tuesday and watch the buyer sell that very same property on wednesday for $8 million either. if Nielson didn't think he got a fair price for TWO STEP SALSA, he could have waited to find a buyer that would give him what he considered fair. he accepted the offer and took the money. at the time i didn't think that TWO STEP SALSA was worth $8 million, i didn't think he was worth $1.4 million either. but it doesn't matter what my opinion on the value was, its strictly between the buyer and the seller.

lamboguy
10-07-2015, 10:21 AM
on the bottom of the page from Paulick you can find the jury verdict form. it says the amount of damages they found per horse. the jury was out for 2 days and were deadlocked and this was a compromised verdict.

Saratoga_Mike
10-07-2015, 10:50 AM
on the bottom of the page from Paulick you can find the jury verdict form. it says the amount of damages they found per horse. the jury was out for 2 days and were deadlocked and this was a compromised verdict.

Read the plaintiff's third complaint, which contains sworn testimony.

https://docs.google.com/a/paulickreport.com/file/d/0B0h4j_asbgvnSFUwTDd3OGIyN2c/edit?pli=1

lamboguy
10-07-2015, 11:08 AM
Read the plaintiff's third complaint, which contains sworn testimony.

https://docs.google.com/a/paulickreport.com/file/d/0B0h4j_asbgvnSFUwTDd3OGIyN2c/edit?pli=1the jury did not side with the 3rd complaint, if they did they would have awarded the full $1 million that was asked for.

Stillriledup
10-07-2015, 11:18 AM
the jury did not side with the 3rd complaint, if they did they would have awarded the full $1 million that was asked for.

I don't have boatloads of sympathy for owners who don't know what their own horses are worth and then blame others for mispricing, however, as a person who is investing money in these races pari mutually, all that matters to me is that the guy had larceny in his heart. So now when I see a race with a Canani runner I have to think ' I wonder if this is an honest race' and I don't want to have to worry about that, especially since the game is charging me full price for the privilege to participate.

Ruffian1
10-07-2015, 11:21 AM
i am not disagreeing with that. this game needs to cleaned up. if you can read into this you will understand that Nielson is not exactly a rookie at this game. the man liquidated his horses at that time for whatever personal reason's he might have. many times when someone liquidates anything they don't get anywhere near the value of their property. its one thing to have someone looking to buy your property, its another for the owner looking for buyers to buy the property.

i wouldn't be happy either if i sold my property for $1.4 million on tuesday and watch the buyer sell that very same property on wednesday for $8 million either. if Nielson didn't think he got a fair price for TWO STEP SALSA, he could have waited to find a buyer that would give him what he considered fair. he accepted the offer and took the money. at the time i didn't think that TWO STEP SALSA was worth $8 million, i didn't think he was worth $1.4 million either. but it doesn't matter what my opinion on the value was, its strictly between the buyer and the seller.
I hear you. Plenty of points for discussion. You know what I mean by people that do this crap in any venue. It is terrible. That said, if you have millions invested in horses and need an advisor to make financial decisions and don't have enough sense to check the advice out, then even though the advisor is crooked, the investor selling is an idiot and someone is going to screw him somewhere.
That doesn't make it right, but it does facilitate sleazy behavior.
A fool and his money .....

Stillriledup
10-07-2015, 11:27 AM
I hear you. Plenty of points for discussion. You know what I mean by people that do this crap in any venue. It is terrible. That said, if you have millions invested in horses and need an advisor to make financial decisions and don't have enough sense to check the advice out, then even though the advisor is crooked, the investor selling is an idiot and someone is going to screw him somewhere.
That doesn't make it right, but it does facilitate sleazy behavior.
A fool and his money .....

You can always ask around, get 2nd opinions and whatnut. Not only did he assume Julio was honest, but he assumed that Julio actually knew what the horses were worth.

Saratoga_Mike
10-07-2015, 11:30 AM
the jury did not side with the 3rd complaint, if they did they would have awarded the full $1 million that was asked for.

I did not say the jury agreed with every assertion in the plaintiff's compliant. I posted it for background info and sworn testimony. I thought it might be useful, but if you prefer supposition that's fine.

Ruffian1
10-07-2015, 11:52 AM
I don't have boatloads of sympathy for owners who don't know what their own horses are worth and then blame others for mispricing, however, as a person who is investing money in these races pari mutually, all that matters to me is that the guy had larceny in his heart. So now when I see a race with a Canani runner I have to think ' I wonder if this is an honest race' and I don't want to have to worry about that, especially since the game is charging me full price for the privilege to participate.
Oh my, If that is your standard wherever you put your money then better check with your bank, 401k, insurance, church, stock market, car dealership, car mechanic, gas station, cell phone provider, cable provider ... Need I go on? :)

Ruffian1
10-07-2015, 11:53 AM
You can always ask around, get 2nd opinions and whatnut. Not only did he assume Julio was honest, but he assumed that Julio actually knew what the horses were worth.
Absolutely.

lamboguy
10-07-2015, 12:04 PM
it really doesn't matter what i think, its what the CHRB did that got me going on this. the incident took place in 2008, it got resolved in whatever manner by the California court, and now over 7 years after the incident the CHRB decided it was important to take action.

i feel there is a question as to whether they acted in fairness on this incident, or if someone had a hair across his rear end to come after Canani and they acted.

there again i don't know if that's fact or i surmised the wrong way. maybe because there was never a countersuit in this case the CHRB finally came to the conclusion that Canani needs to be punished some more.

if Canani has half a brain he will appeal this and go to court if he has to. he may be able to appeal it long enough so that it doesn't effect him at this point in case he doesn't win on the first go.

i think this is the same CHRB that punishes jockeys for trying to win races with their whips. the CHRB put some type of a limit on how many times a jockey can whip his horse during a race. i really wonder if the jockey on the horse is counting the times he went to the whip or not during the running of the race.

Spalding No!
10-07-2015, 02:30 PM
i think this is the same CHRB that punishes jockeys for trying to win races with their whips. the CHRB put some type of a limit on how many times a jockey can whip his horse during a race. i really wonder if the jockey on the horse is counting the times he went to the whip or not during the running of the race.
Isn't this done to protect the welfare of the horse? You know, the other component of the jockey's arsenal that allows he or she to win races.

Saratoga_Mike
10-07-2015, 02:49 PM
it really doesn't matter what i think, its what the CHRB did that got me going on this. the incident took place in 2008, it got resolved in whatever manner by the California court, and now over 7 years after the incident the CHRB decided it was important to take action.

You did read why the CHRB waited, correct?

lamboguy
10-07-2015, 03:17 PM
You did read why the CHRB waited, correct?here is your bottom line, the jury listened to the case, they were convinced that the plaintiff suffered damages and they awarded the damages to the plaintiff. how did they derive the damages of $37,500? it was done the very same way they based their decision. the 6 horses in question that were sold in liquidation averaged $7000 less than the price of the claiming race they ran in the next time they ran. they obviously believed the plaintiff that he suffered in this matter.

however there were no damages on the most expensive horse that sold for $1.4 million. i am guessing the reason for that was he ran for much less money the very next time he ran so they could not see any damage in that instance.

there were people on that jury that understood more of the case and did not see any damage.

you can believe whatever you want to believe. those are the facts of the case no matter how you might want to view them.
the case came down to a he said she said case and the jury went to the only facts they could find.
i am not really trying to stick up for the guy, i just don't like the way it came down. i would not like it if it happened to you either.

Saratoga_Mike
10-07-2015, 03:21 PM
here is your bottom line, the jury listened to the case, they were convinced that the plaintiff suffered damages and they awarded the damages to the plaintiff. how did they derive the damages of $37,500? it was done the very same way they based their decision. the 6 horses in question that were sold in liquidation averaged $7000 less than the price of the claiming race they ran in the next time they ran. they obviously believed the plaintiff that he suffered in this matter.

however there were no damages on the most expensive horse that sold for $1.4 million. i am guessing the reason for that was he ran for much less money the very next time he ran so they could not see any damage in that instance.

there were people on that jury that understood more of the case and did not see any damage.

you can believe whatever you want to believe. those are the facts of the case no matter how you might want to view them.
the case came down to a he said she said case and the jury went to the only facts they could find.
i am not really trying to stick up for the guy, i just don't like the way it came down. i would not like it if it happened to you either.

Right, you did read why CHRB waited so many years, correct?

whodoyoulike
10-07-2015, 04:09 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106148&page=1&pp=15&highlight=Laws

Lots of good responses in here from current and former trainers.

Thanks. I haven't read or recall reading that thread.

My point was, he was found guilty of FRAUD plus other things in a Federal District Court. I thought FRAUD resulted in prison penalties. This wasn't just a violation of Racing Commission Rules where the Commission acts like they're part of the judicial system. Guys like Madoff should've flowed his funds thru a race track. What a dummmy!!

lamboguy
10-07-2015, 04:15 PM
Right, you did read why CHRB waited so many years, correct?sorry for being late, i just won a maiden race.

according to the print it said they waited for Canani to exhaust all his appeals which i have no idea if they were used or not. i know if it was me i would not have appealed that case.

Saratoga_Mike
10-07-2015, 04:40 PM
sorry for being late, i just won a maiden race.

according to the print it said they waited for Canani to exhaust all his appeals which i have no idea if they were used or not. i know if it was me i would not have appealed that case.

Right.

More importantly, where did you win? PRX? Congrats!

lamboguy
10-07-2015, 04:44 PM
Right.

More importantly, where did you win? PRX? Congrats!i just won in New York

Saratoga_Mike
10-07-2015, 04:58 PM
i just won in New York

Confused my days - no PRX. NY even better. Nice work.

onefast99
10-07-2015, 05:08 PM
i just won in New Yorkbenny and alex nice ride!

lamboguy
10-07-2015, 05:17 PM
benny and alex nice ride!
i can't wait until your horse runs, she should be just as good

onefast99
10-07-2015, 10:02 PM
i can't wait until your horse runs, she should be just as goodShe is a bit younger than benny and alex another 4-6 weeks for her debut in NY.

lamboguy
10-08-2015, 05:33 AM
She is a bit younger than benny and alex another 4-6 weeks for her debut in NY.i just watched my replay for the first time and it looked like the horse was trying to lug in down the lane. that should be easy to correct for his next start whenever that is. even though it looked easy, the rider did a great job with him, probably why Irad Ortiz is the leading rider in that place.

when your filly worked with mine she always had her head in front, i would say as long as she has taken some forward steps she will be mighty tough.

onefast99
10-08-2015, 10:14 AM
i just watched my replay for the first time and it looked like the horse was trying to lug in down the lane. that should be easy to correct for his next start whenever that is. even though it looked easy, the rider did a great job with him, probably why Irad Ortiz is the leading rider in that place.

when your filly worked with mine she always had her head in front, i would say as long as she has taken some forward steps she will be mighty tough.Deep track at Belmont, I wouldn't worry about the lug in it wasn't significant. We worked 3f to get her focus back as she had a minor shin. She will be ok!

Stillriledup
05-17-2016, 05:30 PM
has julio canani retired?

upthecreek
05-17-2016, 05:43 PM
has julio canani retired?
I believe he's still serving his 13 month suspension for defrauding an owner

Stillriledup
05-17-2016, 07:31 PM
I believe he's still serving his 13 month suspension for defrauding an owner
Thanks

no breathalyzer
05-18-2016, 07:51 AM
More importantly who is bearding for him?

SuperPickle
05-18-2016, 09:50 AM
More importantly who is bearding for him?

No one. However AC is back. Won one on Saturday. Lost a photo on Sunday.