PDA

View Full Version : Kent Desormeaux riding under the influence!!

Kash$
10-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Fined 2,500 for riding under the influence on July 29.

So let me get this straight...Money was wagered on Desormeaux on July 29 and homeboy is riding blitzed and jeopardizing other jockeys in the race and all he gets is a fined of 2,500...

How about banned for two years????WTF
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/94899/desormeaux-on-probation-for-alcohol-test?source=rss

Robert Fischer
10-04-2015, 06:17 PM
but his 'carbonated water' explanation seemed so strong

horses4courses
10-04-2015, 06:20 PM
He's gotten a 30 day suspension that for the time being is "stayed".

Many are of the opinion around here that alcoholism and drug addiction
are a choice for individuals. P Val, Gomez, Antley, Romero, and Desormeaux
are some examples in this sport. Few have any sympathy for them.

Apparently, they do what they do by choice. :ThmbDown:

Stillriledup
10-04-2015, 06:21 PM
2500 is peanuts to this guy.

Tom
10-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Hard to take this game seriously.
The pea-brains who run it don't.

tanner12oz
10-04-2015, 07:28 PM
What number offense is this for him?

Fager Fan
10-04-2015, 08:45 PM

It is a choice. One can never be addicted to something they never choose to imbibe. Once they've imbibed, they have a choice to get off before the ride takes off at full steam. Once it's going full steam they can choose to stop, even if it's very hard to do. Others do it, proving it can be done. But again, one can never have this addiction if they don't imbibe.

Regardless, what is your point? You think we should sympathize with drunk drivers and drunk riders who put the lives of others in jeopardy? Not going to happen. His sentence should be no less severe than had he driven a car. That's losing your license for a year for the first offense, and losing it for life for the third offense.

I don't care what they do when they're not riding, but if it's proven they ride impaired, then they should get the hammer. They could easily kill or paralyze a fellow rider (not to mention the horse).

horses4courses
10-04-2015, 08:50 PM
It is a choice. One can never be addicted to something they never choose to imbibe. Once they've imbibed, they have a choice to get off before the ride takes off at full steam. Once it's going full steam they can choose to stop, even if it's very hard to do. Others do it, proving it can be done. But again, one can never have this addiction if they don't imbibe.

Regardless, what is your point? You think we should sympathize with drunk drivers and drunk riders who put the lives of others in jeopardy? Not going to happen. His sentence should be no less severe than had he driven a car. That's losing your license for a year for the first offense, and losing it for life for the third offense.

I don't care what they do when they're not riding, but if it's proven they ride impaired, then they should get the hammer. They could easily kill or paralyze a fellow rider (not to mention the horse).

Plenty of medical professionals would disagree.
I don't condone drunk driving.
Nor should a rider risk his, or anyone else's, life while impaired.
It's just not as simple as you maintain.

tanner12oz
10-04-2015, 08:52 PM

agree completely responsibility is on the individual..saying they can't help it only enables bad behavior..jyst because something is a challenge doesn't make it impossible.

horses4courses
10-04-2015, 08:55 PM
agree completely responsibility is on the individual..saying they can't help it only enables bad behavior..jyst because something is a challenge doesn't make it impossible.

I'm not against stricter penalties.
The sport we love has enough problems.
First offense should necessitate treatment.
Another incident - lifetime ban.

v j stauffer
10-04-2015, 09:38 PM
Let me preface this by saying I have NO knowledge of this particular case so please don't start in and try to throw me under the bus.

I DO NOT KNOW SPECIFCALLY ABOUT THIS CASE.

That being said.

An explanation of this being a relatively small fine and not a lengthy suspension MIGHT and I repeat MIGHT be because the numbers on the Breathalyzer could have been extremely low.

Jockey's in California are subject to random testing.

However, jockey's who have had a history of violations must blow into the Breathalyzer each and every time they appear to ride.

I'm thinking perhaps this might be a time where the positive number was very low.

As we have all heard sometimes the machines will pick up trace amounts from mouthwash or maybe cold medicine.

burnsy
10-04-2015, 10:34 PM
Plenty of medical professionals would disagree.
I don't condone drunk driving.
Nor should a rider risk his, or anyone else's, life while impaired.
It's just not as simple as you maintain.

Life is not as simple as people maintain. But what do you expect? People to actually think? Try reading that political crap. Red or blue, black or white, that's all people can or want to see and its the way they think. They are lazy. If life were as simple as half of these people make it......the world would be Utopia. Of course it isn't, people are weak creatures and EVERYONE makes mistakes, but there are those that have all the answers and they never make mistakes. Everything is not black and white, there are more than 50 shades of grey and people that think they have all the answers, usually don't have a clue, and of course, they've never done anything wrong either :rolleyes: .

Of course this guy has a problem, its well documented at this point. He needs help or he could very well be the "next one" associated with tragedy. He's got something he can't shake on his own and just "saying no" is not a simple option or any option for this man. Like the clodhoppers try to make it out to be. At this point he needs professional, mandatory help before he's allowed back......he gets a slap on the wrist, a how do you do and probably bought a case on the way home. Tom is right, the people running the tracks choose to be blind to it and actually enable him with this joke of jurisdiction. The man is clearly ill. 2500 bucks........and days....that'll teach him........ :bang:

BombsAway Bob
10-04-2015, 11:09 PM
Let me preface this by saying I have NO knowledge of this particular case so please don't start in and try to throw me under the bus.

I DO NOT KNOW SPECIFCALLY ABOUT THIS CASE.

That being said.

An explanation of this being a relatively small fine and not a lengthy suspension MIGHT and I repeat MIGHT be because the numbers on the Breathalyzer could have been extremely low.

However, jockey's who have had a history of violations must blow into the Breathalyzer each and every time they appear to ride.

I'm thinking perhaps this might be a time where the positive number was very low.

As we have all heard sometimes the machines will pick up trace amounts from mouthwash or maybe cold medicine.
Here's story from incident.
http://www.pressreader.com/usa/daily-racing-form-national-digital-edition/20150817/281496455019958/TextView
But IMHO, a .04 could be blown if a person who doesn't weigh much
had drank perhaps a few too many THE NIGHT BEFORE.
Maybe...

Tom
10-04-2015, 11:10 PM

Jockeys like Kent, who have been caught, should be tested every single race - at his expense for the testing - for 1 year.

taxicab
10-04-2015, 11:35 PM
It appears that Kent D. can't stop drinking.
What was he thinking ?
He drew attention to himself because he reeked of alcohol,and got himself into a nasty jackpot.
Oh well....

Tall One
10-05-2015, 12:26 AM
The Bloodhorse article in the op says they removed him from his last two races. Bob's link says Kent rode the next race after the tests, and was then sat down... :confused:

v j stauffer
10-05-2015, 12:32 AM
Jockeys like Kent, who have been caught, should be tested every single race - at his expense for the testing - for 1 year.

They are as I stated in my post.

Stillriledup
10-05-2015, 12:42 AM
I know Kent brought a lot of this on himself, but if these are trace amounts, he's not really riding 'under the influence'. It's misleading, he's not out there riding drunk, we need to keep this all in perspective.

clocker7
10-05-2015, 12:44 AM
Unprofessional. Stupid for an addict to do. Not something desirable for someone riding in tight places.

But his BAC was well below that which would produce meaningful or illegal auto driving impairment. Basically, one pint of beer in the last hour or so, or a residual amount from additional drinks from a more distant past. Definitely not blotto or blitzed.

(I checked to make sure after first seeing the number, but my estimation was correct):

http://www.drunkdrivingdefense.com/resources/how-to-calculate-your-estimated-blood-alcohol-content-bac/

HuggingTheRail
10-05-2015, 01:11 AM
If they blow anything other than .00, don't let them ride.

Stillriledup
10-05-2015, 01:19 AM
If they blow anything other than .00, don't let them ride.

I'd rather see Kent get slammed for not riding out board spots and getting punished for that rather than trace amounts of a substance that is basically a technicality. They want to be strong on integrity, start coming down on these guys who don't ride thru the line.

Fager Fan
10-05-2015, 07:20 AM
I know Kent brought a lot of this on himself, but if these are trace amounts, he's not really riding 'under the influence'. It's misleading, he's not out there riding drunk, we need to keep this all in perspective.

.04 isn't a trace level. That is the level that commercial drivers get a DWI. In addition, he was tested because those around him smelled alcohol on him.

Jocks shouldn't have even a single drink and while working. Clearly Kent did. That should result in the loss of his license. He put others at risk.

Tall One
10-05-2015, 08:41 AM

Whats misleading is whether they let him ride one more race after the tests or not. Bottom line is this, if you can smell booze on a person the next day, then there is no reason they should be allowed to ride. If he got pulled over that morning, and the law smelled booze, I guarantee he's going to jail. I'm sure he didn't eat much to absorb the alcohol, so that doesn't help any either. I'm guessing he sees a further decline in his mounts well.

Stillriledup
10-05-2015, 09:53 AM
.04 isn't a trace level. That is the level that commercial drivers get a DWI. In addition, he was tested because those around him smelled alcohol on him.

Jocks shouldn't have even a single drink and while working. Clearly Kent did. That should result in the loss of his license. He put others at risk.

No doubt, if its not a trace level he needs to lose his license w permanban. (He should already be on thin ice for all the times he manipulated tri and super payouts by not riding all the way thru the line, 'racing' doesn't seem to care about that though)

tucker6
10-05-2015, 11:14 AM

It is certainly a choice to drink AND ride a horse.

no breathalyzer
11-07-2015, 05:11 PM
WOW! Desormeaux strikes agian

Stillriledup
11-08-2015, 04:11 AM
Oct 17th race 9 at SA The 1 horse Exactamente finishes 4th, I gotta question the handling in the final furlong, didnt look like much urging was going on there, unless I was just seeing things?

menifee
11-08-2015, 04:17 AM
Oct 17th race 9 at SA The 1 horse Exactamente finishes 4th, I gotta question the handling in the final furlong, didnt look like much urging was going on there, unless I was just seeing things?

No watch the 4th race at delmar on 11-7. Completely stopped riding the winner and lost the race. He should get fined and days for this.

Tom
11-08-2015, 09:11 AM
what is the over under for showing up too drunk to ride and for stiffing horses in the stretch.,
This jerk has no business on a sanctioned race track.

And absolutely no business on a microphone- even more annoying than Pat Day was.

cbp
11-08-2015, 11:27 AM
No watch the 4th race at delmar on 11-7. Completely stopped riding the winner and lost the race. He should get fined and days for this.

Watch it again. That was a fine ride. He just didn't see the horse to the inside. In fact, not many jocks make that move along an open rail.

cj
11-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Doesn't not seeing the horse that beats you eliminate "fine ride" as a possibility?

PhantomOnTour
11-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Of all jockeys with 10 or more mounts at the current Del Mar meet...can you fellas tell me who leads the standings in WIN % and ITM % ???

(Hint: it's the same guy who finished 4th in both categories at the Santa Anita fall meet)

cbp
11-08-2015, 11:50 AM
Doesn't not seeing the horse that beats you eliminate "fine ride" as a possibility?

It was for a split second and the horse came through an open rail. How many jocks riding in the U.S. presently would come through a tight open rail opening on the turf? Usually, when that happens, the jock finds himself on the other side of the rail.

Kent rode this about as well as any jock could. Many jocks easy up a bit when they think they have the race won. Especially after punishing their horse during the stretch run. Dominguez certainly rode this way. Kent barely did for less than a second and he's being taken to task for it. A bit unfair, don't you think?

Did DrugS ever discuss race watching with you? I know he credits you for teaching him pace handicapping. One would think he'd have returned the favor.

cj
11-08-2015, 11:57 AM
It was for a split second and the horse came through an open rail. How many jocks riding in the U.S. presently would come through a tight open rail opening on the turf? Usually, when that happens, the jock finds himself on the other side of the rail.

Kent rode this about as well as any jock could. Many jocks easy up a bit when they think they have the race won. Especially after punishing their horse during the stretch run. Dominguez certainly rode this way. Kent barely did for less than a second and he's being taken to task for it. A bit unfair, don't you think?

Did DrugS ever discuss race watching with you? I know he credits you for teaching him pace handicapping. One would think he'd have returned the favor.

I'm not sure what circuit you are watching, but I see horses let up the rail all the time in the stretch. I've commented often that you would never have seen riders in the 80s allow that to happen. When's the last time you saw a rider over the fence?

No, I don't think it is is unfair. A rider should ride the horse out until the wire unless finishing position is a certainty or the horse is out of the top 5 and has no chance to get into those position. It was a fine ride, until it wasn't. If I were up a set and 5-0 in a tennis match and let up and lost, I wouldn't say I played a fine match.

I do just fine with my race watching methods, thanks.

cj
11-08-2015, 11:57 AM
Of all jockeys with 10 or more mounts at the current Del Mar meet...can you fellas tell me who leads the standings in WIN % and ITM % ???

(Hint: it's the same guy who finished 4th in both categories at the Santa Anita fall meet)

What does this have to do with riding to the wire?

PhantomOnTour
11-08-2015, 12:01 PM
What does this have to do with riding to the wire?
A guy who consistently ranks high in ITM% has a pretty good case against those who say he quits riding (esp when he has no chance to win the race, which is a common gripe about Kent D)

When he rode in NY (Sar) he was ranked high in both categories, WIN and ITM %

cbp
11-08-2015, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure what circuit you are watching, but I see horses let up the rail all the time in the stretch. I've commented often that you would never have seen riders in the 80s allow that to happen. When's the last time you saw a rider over the fence?

No, I don't think it is is unfair. A rider should ride the horse out until the wire unless finishing position is a certainty or the horse is out of the top 5 and has no chance to get into those position. It was a fine ride, until it wasn't. If I were up a set and 5-0 in a tennis match and let up and lost, I wouldn't say I played a fine match.

I do just fine with my race watching methods, thanks.

Have you watched the race? This is a course, that like TAM and DEL, has a RAIL OPENING just after you enter the stretch. I've seen a bunch of cases where guys on the inside find themselves on the other side, the INSIDE, of the rail. Horses have a tendency to duck in when there's an open rail.

Moreover Kent has the inside pretty much shut off until very late. Why are we nitpicking about a ride that just about every other jock wouldn't get criticized for? He didn't flat out stop riding. He gave his horse a less than second breather after beating it up through the stretch. He recovered almost immediately.

cj
11-08-2015, 12:06 PM
A guy who consistently ranks high in ITM% has a pretty good case against those who say he quits riding (esp when he has no chance to win the race, which is a common gripe about Kent D)

You can win and finish in the money while quitting late. People aren't just saying it. He had done it before and also been fined and punished for it. It isn't like this is a figment of many people's imagination.

Nobody is saying he is a bad rider. He is obviously talented. I'm sure many trainers want his services. That still doesn't excuse not riding out to the wire.

cj
11-08-2015, 12:08 PM
Have you watched the race? This is a course, that like TAM and DEL, has a RAIL OPENING just after you enter the stretch. I've seen a bunch of cases where guys on the inside find themselves on the other side, the INSIDE, of the rail. Horses have a tendency to duck in when there's an open rail.

Moreover Kent has the inside pretty much shut off until very late. Why are we nitpicking about a ride that just about every other jock wouldn't get criticized for? He didn't flat out stop riding. He gave his horse a less than second breather after beating it up through the stretch. He recovered almost immediately.

Of course I've watched the race. I wouldn't comment if I hadn't.

I disagree, I think any rider would get criticized for costing his mount the win by not riding to the wire and I think it is deserved.

Stillriledup
11-08-2015, 12:33 PM

Because its a guy with a nasty habit of not riding hard all the way thru the lane, if this happens to him, you get called out on it more.

Kent has this uncanny knack to 'communicate' to horses to stop running and once the horse stops running its hard for him to get the horse started again. Not every horse wants to run, they'll ease up if the jock lets them, and Kent lets them.

You shouldn't be getting beat up the rail, if you don't give up the rail you force a jock who is closing up the inside to have to angle out a path or two, a lot of times, horses are there keeping up, so its much harder to close up the rail and then angle out, quite often when a guy gets beat up the fence, he would have win the race because of 2 reasons.

1) the little bit of ground the angling horse loses would be the difference

2) another horse is there preventing the jock on the flying inside horse from angling.

I thought not getting beat up the fence was '101' stuff for riders.

menifee
11-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Stewards vote 2-1 not to sanction. Unreal. Remember when he stopped riding Paddy O'Prado in the derby and cost the horse second. He just never learns.

chenoa
11-08-2015, 08:09 PM
Stewards vote 2-1 not to sanction. Unreal. Remember when he stopped riding Paddy O'Prado in the derby and cost the horse second. He just never learns.

Unreal. How can anyone have confidence betting this guy?

Does he ride different when racing for his brother??

Tom
11-08-2015, 09:45 PM

Not at all. He might have an ITM% 10-15 points higher if her weren't a quitter.
Every race every day counts. As long as there is money bet on it, every ride has an obligation.

Ever play roulette where they had just painted your number and taped it off?

cj
11-08-2015, 09:56 PM

I try my best to think stewards are there to protect bettors, but they always prove me wrong. More worried about protecting a convicted jockey.

Stillriledup
11-08-2015, 10:12 PM
He probably went into the judges with that whiny voice of his and made some excuse and blamed the horse and they bought it hook line and sinker like they usually do. Nice precedent here, ride hard when you're in the mood. Wonderful game, wonderful judges in So Cal, always looking out for the paying customer and putting the integrity of the game first and foremost.

camourous
11-09-2015, 08:57 AM

I don't think hitting the horse 5 times counts as punishing the horse, if he rides to the wire he wins.

SandyW
11-09-2015, 09:15 AM
Kent Desormeaux, (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=126340) one of the great riders, riding today.
If you don't like the way he rides, don't bet him at your own risk.

MutuelClerk
11-09-2015, 09:50 AM
Kent Desormeaux, (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=126340) one of the great riders, riding today.
If you don't like the way he rides, don't bet him at your own risk.

Really? What about the risk of the other riders danger with his history of alcohol problems? Gambling on his mounts isn't the main issue here. Safety is. Not only the other riders but his own. He's had too many chances. HOF rider indeed. But the game is bigger than he is. He would be on very thin ice with me.

SandyW
11-09-2015, 11:09 AM
Really? What about the risk of the other riders danger with his history of alcohol problems? Gambling on his mounts isn't the main issue here. Safety is. Not only the other riders but his own. He's had too many chances. HOF rider indeed. But the game is bigger than he is. He would be on very thin ice with me.
If you got rid of all the jockeys that may have had social problems, past and present, I don't think we would have had the many great jockeys that are in the HOF today. I could give you dozens of names, but I will stay silent on that.

Tom
11-09-2015, 12:08 PM
If you got rid of all the jockeys that may have had social problems, past and present, I don't think we would have had the many great jockeys that are in the HOF today. I could give you dozens of names, but I will stay silent on that.

That is not the complaint here.
There is a difference in having had a problem and currently riding drunk.

SandyW
11-09-2015, 03:43 PM
That is not the complaint here.
There is a difference in having had a problem and currently riding drunk.

With all the talk about this, do you really think that jockeys are riding drunk, I don't think so.