PDA

View Full Version : Should Keeneland's fall meet be extended?

grandstander21
10-03-2015, 07:10 PM
Churchill Downs has two race meets in the fall: one in September and one in November. Between those meets is the Keeneland October fall meet. IMO, Keeneland is the most popular track in Kentucky, and people would mostly prefer it over Churchill. I'm sure you all like Keeneland better than Churchill, right?

I don't think Churchill's September meet is really necessary because it's mostly highlighted by a bunch of non-graded and grade 3 stakes races. I feel that the Keeneland fall meet should be extended. The September fall meet at Churchill should be eliminated because it's not as important as the November meet. Take this year for example: if Keeneland's meet is extended, I would want to start on Friday, September 11, 2015 and end on Sunday, November 1, 2015. Do you agree?

Grits
10-03-2015, 07:23 PM
This, sadly, might not be the best day to suggest Keeneland extend their Fall race meet, or either of their meets. Two horses breaking down and being euthanized in two different stakes races makes for a difficult day...at any racetrack.

Their racing calendar has always been one of quality, as is. JMO.

ronsmac
10-03-2015, 07:23 PM
Churchill Downs has two race meets in the fall: one in September and one in November. Between those meets is the Keeneland October fall meet. IMO, Keeneland is the most popular track in Kentucky, and people would mostly prefer it over Churchill. I'm sure you all like Keeneland better than Churchill, right?

I don't think Churchill's September meet is really necessary because it's mostly highlighted by a bunch of non-graded and grade 3 stakes races. I feel that the Keeneland fall meet should be extended. The September fall meet at Churchill should be eliminated because it's not as important as the November meet. Take this year for example: if Keeneland's meet is extended, I would want to start on Friday, September 11, 2015 and end on Sunday, November 1, 2015. Do you agree?That September meet is very important to Churchill. It allows their average daily handle to drop to a level that gives them a tax break from the state, and at the same time allows them to raise the takeout so they can make a killing on Derby and Oaks day. No way they're giving that up.

tanner12oz
10-03-2015, 07:59 PM

I don't think Churchill's September meet is really necessary because it's mostly highlighted by a bunch of non-graded and grade 3 stakes races. I feel that the Keeneland fall meet should be extended. The September fall meet at Churchill should be eliminated because it's not as important as the November meet. Take this year for example: if Keeneland's meet is extended, I would want to start on Friday, September 11, 2015 and end on Sunday, November 1, 2015. Do you agree?

I agree that the cd September meet is silly but it ain't going anywhere any time soon.

taxicab
10-03-2015, 08:18 PM
It's a tricky call.
Does Keenland want the extra days ?
They seem to have it figured out with their four week meets being wildly popular.
If the Keenland "brand" was strictly racing,then extra days would probably be desired.
But Keenland is so much more than racing,I think they like their setup just the way it is.
On the other hand Del Mar did well with their "additional" fall meet last year because that property can focus in on all racing,all the time.
The social aspect of DMR certainly helped the fall meet also.

tanner12oz
10-03-2015, 08:40 PM
keeneland has been april and october for the past 80 years right?

thespaah
10-03-2015, 09:11 PM
This, sadly, might not be the best day to suggest Keeneland extend their Fall race meet, or either of their meets. Two horses breaking down and being euthanized in two different stakes races makes for a difficult day...at any racetrack.

Their racing calendar has always been one of quality, as is. JMO.
I agree. The main reason for the success and special-ness of Keeneland in part is the brevity of the meetings.
Leave as is.

Tom
10-03-2015, 09:27 PM
I personally don't think the KEE meet is necessary.

thespaah
10-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Would you care to expound upon that?

Tom
10-03-2015, 10:02 PM
Dirt or Poly, I have no use for anything Keeneland.
I do not like the track, do not bet it. Do no use any races run over it for and handicapping purposes. A loss at KEE is an automatic throw out for me.

Beautiful track, been there once for simulcasting. Great venue for that.
No interest in the live racing there and no interest if a BC run there.
Nor eason, other than I find far too many ??? races there. Why bother when I have all the other tracks running to choose from.

The only Kentucky racing I bet on is at TP.

thespaah
10-04-2015, 12:41 PM
I do not like the track, do not bet it. Do no use any races run over it for and handicapping purposes. A loss at KEE is an automatic throw out for me.

Nor eason, other than I find far too many ??? races there. Why bother when I have all the other tracks running to choose from.

Ok...so you have a personal opinion on the place because you don't do well in your wagering.
This thread was about the highest and best use of the facility. That is irrespective of individual wagering performance.

no breathalyzer
10-04-2015, 01:01 PM

So no B.C for you this yr? Or do you still bet reluctantly?

Tom
10-04-2015, 01:02 PM
I still think it would be better to run TP instead.

Tom
10-04-2015, 01:04 PM
So no B.C for you this yr? Or do you still bet reluctantly?

Couple of action bets.
I'll survive.

thespaah
10-04-2015, 01:13 PM
I still think it would be better to run TP instead.
Can't do it...No turf course

tanner12oz
10-04-2015, 06:41 PM
Turfway has some rather wild results. Never thought I would hear some argue for more turfeay and less cd and keeneland

Tall One
10-04-2015, 08:16 PM
Turfway has some rather wild results. Never thought I would hear some argue for more turfeay and less cd and keeneland

Ronsmac nailed it on page 1, but when they still had dirt, there were three months out of their whole meet worth a crap: September, December, and March. Now, with the poly, and a tote board that fluctuates worse than MNR's does...it's a PASS.

ubercapper
10-05-2015, 10:38 AM

The Churchill September meeting replaced the Turfway September meeting, I believe at the request of the horsemen/horsewomen hoping for better purses and handle. I believe from that perspective it has been a success.

It's the same logic as to why there's a Los Alamitos summer and fall meeting, to replace Fairplex and Hollywood Park to some extent so that trainers and owners have a place to race that level of horse during that time of year.

thaskalos
10-05-2015, 11:00 AM

:ThmbUp:

I haven't bet on a Keeneland race since 2009.