PDA

View Full Version : Do athletes, coaches and managers believe in home field advantage?

Valuist
10-02-2015, 01:57 PM
From what I have seen, I say most don't. You will often see teams play with elevated focus to get to the post-season; that is their main motivation. Then we hear the media talk about they have to get home field; yet we see teams resting players in MLB or the NBA; or teams come up with flat performances in the NFL after making the playoffs, but not locking up home field.

My guess? Players have huge egos and believe their talent can overcome anything. "If I'm THE MAN here, I can be THE MAN anywhere" is the attitude. As handicappers, we know the home field/court is very real. But I don't think the majority of players believe it.

Stillriledup
10-02-2015, 02:57 PM
It depends on the home field. For example, the Seahawks or Duke have a bigger advantage than the Florida panthers.

Valuist
10-02-2015, 08:31 PM
It depends on the home field. For example, the Seahawks or Duke have a bigger advantage than the Florida panthers.

Let me clarify; do players play with extra motivation to get the home field in the playoffs? My theory is players play with more focus to get to the postseason, but after that is accomplished, the extra focus goes away.

thaskalos
10-02-2015, 08:37 PM
Let me clarify; do players play with extra motivation to get the home field in the playoffs? My theory is players play with more focus to get to the postseason, but after that is accomplished, the extra focus goes away.
It depends on the circumstances. I gotta think that the Cubs would much rather play the wildcard game at home...instead of having it in Pittsburgh.

But, of course, "motivation" isn't always enough to get the job done.

horses4courses
10-02-2015, 10:10 PM
I'm not sure they should think about it.
It depends on the sport, though.

Home field/court matters most in football and basketball, imo.
Baseball - not so much, unless it's a close game after 6 innings.
A good starting pitcher is often just as effective on the road.

NJ Stinks
10-03-2015, 01:49 AM
I think if a pro team has an awesome record at home, they feel there really is an edge in playing at home. Like the Bengals when they went 8-0 at home and then go beat at home by San Diego in the first round of the playoffs two years ago. :)

Seriously, if a team has a great record either home or away, I imagine the players and coaches would prefer playing where they had the most success.

Robert Fischer
10-03-2015, 04:36 PM
:D These guys get paid to lift weights and play a ballgame for a living.

At home they get the familiar perspective on the field or court, home cooking with the wife, the home crowd fires them up.

Away they get good takeout or restaurant cooking, time with a girlfriend, and the away crowd fires them up.

There are some specific teams that have a real advantage or disadvantage to be home or away and the stats back those angles up. In general "it's all good".

Valuist
10-03-2015, 05:38 PM
I'm not sure they should think about it.
It depends on the sport, though.

Home field/court matters most in football and basketball, imo.
Baseball - not so much, unless it's a close game after 6 innings.
A good starting pitcher is often just as effective on the road.

Agreed. I think the Pirates will have their work cut out against Arrieta. If they face him at PNC, at Wrigley, or on the moon, its not gonna be easy.

therussmeister
10-03-2015, 06:24 PM
From what I have seen, I say most don't. You will often see teams play with elevated focus to get to the post-season; that is their main motivation. Then we hear the media talk about they have to get home field; yet we see teams resting players in MLB or the NBA; or teams come up with flat performances in the NFL after making the playoffs, but not locking up home field.

My guess? Players have huge egos and believe their talent can overcome anything. "If I'm THE MAN here, I can be THE MAN anywhere" is the attitude. As handicappers, we know the home field/court is very real. But I don't think the majority of players believe it.
I think coaches and managers feel rested players are a bigger advantage than home field.

horses4courses
10-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Agreed. I think the Pirates will have their work cut out against Arrieta. If they face him at PNC, at Wrigley, or on the moon, its not gonna be easy.

I agree - as long as Arrieta responds to the big occasion.
Seen it too many times. Great regular season performances that
aren't matched in the post season. The stakes are much higher.

Hard to imagine Arrieta being anything but awesome.
But, you never know.......

Valuist
10-04-2015, 02:00 AM
I agree - as long as Arrieta responds to the big occasion.
Seen it too many times. Great regular season performances that
aren't matched in the post season. The stakes are much higher.

Hard to imagine Arrieta being anything but awesome.
But, you never know.......

That's true. Kershaw has looked very mortal in the post season.

Stillriledup
10-14-2015, 07:03 PM
Toronto fans won the game by throwing things on the field. Scared the crap out of the rangers.

horses4courses
10-14-2015, 07:10 PM
That's true. Kershaw has looked very mortal in the post season.

I think Kershaw may be a lot sharper this year in post season.
I know he already has, and there may be plenty more in the tank.
That's if he gets the chance.

I have a feeling it was decided to rest him more late in the regular season.
The past few years in the playoffs, it looked like his arm was about to fall off.
There isn't a better pitcher around when this guy is on.