PDA

View Full Version : Turf clubs....Philly

Racey
10-02-2015, 12:17 AM
What location is the most desirable...atmosphere...in general ??

ManU918
10-02-2015, 03:16 AM
They all suck so just go to the one that is closest to you.

Rise Over Run
10-02-2015, 03:39 AM
They all suck so just go to the one that is closest to you.
Yeah, what he said. The only one I frequented was NorthEast, and that was only out of convenience to where I worked at the time. It's small, the bartenders and tellers can be miserable at times. While I felt safe, I get the feeling the area can be a bit shady after dark.

I was only there twice, and its been a while, but the one in Concordville seemed to be the best Turf Club, IMO.

Just go to the nearest one, or head to the Parx Track.

ebcorde
10-02-2015, 04:28 AM
What location is the most desirable...atmosphere...in general ??
not been to the turf clubs in 1 year spent way too much time in the T-clubs... lol they're all right.

the craziest is south philly. some real characters Joe Pesci types there. friday nights and sunday eagle's games the place is a zoo.
I park, play horses , drink beer, then walk to the game. a good deal.

center city is a dump, but you can take the subway there. very small

valley forge - is the best now

concordvile - is a ghost town but there's a hooters and steak house within walking distance

I prefer Penn National OTB in York,Reading

ebcorde
10-02-2015, 04:45 AM
Concordville dried up because Chester Harness opened . They have a large simulcast. and the live races

BTW: Eagles fan, worked 15 minutes from Concordville and live 15 min from Valley Forge (that's my joggin trail) . that's how I frequent these places

bks
10-02-2015, 06:33 AM
Disagree with the comment abut the NE turf club. It's pretty large, and has a downstairs area (if it's still open) that's quiet and easy to use for study.

Oaks, PA is a nicer facility, and remember there's now a South Jersey option in Glassboro.

The CC turf club is very small and congested. Beautiful when it opened, it's now a dingy, poorly lit hole. It's a proto-mental institution, basically. Quite interesting from a sociological perspective, but not from a comfort/information availability perspective.

Redboard
10-02-2015, 11:50 AM
My favorite OTB in the area is Harrah's Philadelphia racino, on the Delaware river in Chester (it originally was called Harrah’s Chester, but changed it after a couple years because no one in the country knew where Chester, PA was.)

The OTB used to include the entire first floor. After a few years they cut it in half to make way for more poker tables. I haven’t been there in a couple years, and they might have cut the OTB down even more.

ManU918
10-02-2015, 11:52 AM
My favorite OTB in the area is Harrah's Philadelphia racino, on the Delaware river in Chester (it originally was called Harrah’s Chester, but changed it after a couple years because no one in the country knew where Chester, PA was.)

The OTB used to include the entire first floor. After a few years they cut it in half to make way for more poker tables. I haven’t been there in a couple years, and they might have cut the OTB down even more.

Was there last week. The OTB portion still has the same amount of space.

ManU918
10-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Disagree with the comment abut the NE turf club. It's pretty large, and has a downstairs area (if it's still open) that's quiet and easy to use for study.

Oaks, PA is a nicer facility, and remember there's now a South Jersey option in Glassboro.

The CC turf club is very small and congested. Beautiful when it opened, it's now a dingy, poorly lit hole. It's a proto-mental institution, basically. Quite interesting from a sociological perspective, but not from a comfort/information availability perspective.

Oaks, PA is the one I go to the most and its the nicest because there aren't homeless people walking around in that area. You go to any of the ones in Philly its 35% bums, 35% illegals, 15% senior citizens and 15% degenerates. I'm usually the youngest person at the Oaks location by 30 years because the majority of the time its people in their 60's who don't know the difference from Hanson and a grey horse running in a MC5000.

NJ Stinks
10-03-2015, 12:59 AM
Racey, I like the atmosphere at the South Philly location. And I go to the one in the Northeast too but it's not exactly lively there anymore. Last time I was there it was a Tuesday night. I think 6 of us closed the place. :) I'm one of those old men Manu was talking about except I like to think I know what I'm doing. Anyway, I feel safe enough leaving those OTB's at night.

But to be completely forthright, I don't go to OTB's much anymore because I get tired of going outside to smoke. I imagine the smoking bans are killing these OTB's and yea, that's sort of ironic.

Racey
10-03-2015, 11:05 AM
appreciate the insight.

ebcorde
10-04-2015, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=ManU918]Oaks, PA is the one I go to the most and its the nicest because there aren't homeless people walking around in that area. You go to any of the ones in Philly its 35% bums, 35% illegals, 15% senior citizens and 15% degenerates. I'm usually the youngest person at the Oaks location by 30 years because the majority of the time its p.

lol, I probably know you or seen you for sure. I stopped attending because 3 guys I hung with at Del park died or moved to Florida. Think about what the T Club was in the 90's., too much sitting. how many of those guys died off?

ManU918
10-04-2015, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=ManU918]Oaks, PA is the one I go to the most and its the nicest because there aren't homeless people walking around in that area. You go to any of the ones in Philly its 35% bums, 35% illegals, 15% senior citizens and 15% degenerates. I'm usually the youngest person at the Oaks location by 30 years because the majority of the time its p.

lol, I probably know you or seen you for sure. I stopped attending because 3 guys I hung with at Del park died or moved to Florida. Think about what the T Club was in the 90's., too much sitting. how many of those guys died off?

I'm confused....do you go to Del Park or the Oaks, Pa Turf Club?

ManU918
10-04-2015, 06:53 PM
But to be completely forthright, I don't go to OTB's much anymore because I get tired of going outside to smoke. I imagine the smoking bans are killing these OTB's and yea, that's sort of ironic.

You can smoke at the one in Oaks.

ebcorde
10-04-2015, 09:02 PM
[QUOTE=ebcorde]

I'm confused....do you go to Del Park or the Oaks, Pa Turf Club?

Both. I meant I stopped going to the track and the otb's for over a year now.
TVG,HRTV,Twinspires sit at home, watch on TV or the internet, save gas, mileage , and money on food.

At Valley forge , I used to sit on the back row next to the bathrooms with 3 TV's positioned. :D . boy, Back in the 90's it was packed on both sides. I have not been there for a while.

NJ Stinks
10-04-2015, 09:29 PM
You can smoke at the one in Oaks.

Where is the Oaks located?

Rise Over Run
10-05-2015, 01:58 AM
Where is the Oaks located?
A few miles north of Valley Forge exit from PA Turnpike

ManU918
10-05-2015, 08:01 AM
[QUOTE=ManU918]

Both. I meant I stopped going to the track and the otb's for over a year now.
TVG,HRTV,Twinspires sit at home, watch on TV or the internet, save gas, mileage , and money on food.

At Valley forge , I used to sit on the back row next to the bathrooms with 3 TV's positioned. :D . boy, Back in the 90's it was packed on both sides. I have not been there for a while.

I also use ADW's but I like cash so I'll drive the 15 minutes a few times a week to go to the Oaks location. During the week its the same people... On the weekend depending on whats going on it can be a little busy but nothing too hectic. I usually just drive there put in my bets and drive home. In the rare occasion I stay I sit exactly where you did and have my "EarPods" in.

ManU918
10-05-2015, 08:04 AM

Exactly... It's in an office complex right behind the Oaks Convention Center, Target, etc. They have also recently built a Buffalo Wild Wings and a WaWa right across the street.

NJ Stinks
10-05-2015, 06:18 PM

Thanks.

ManU918
10-09-2015, 09:56 PM
Was over at Oaks a few times today.... Nice crowd...

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a532/Oxbow13/Double%201_zpsrrt1lmxx.jpg (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/Oxbow13/media/Double%201_zpsrrt1lmxx.jpg.html)

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a532/Oxbow13/Double%202_zpsli4iga2k.jpg (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/Oxbow13/media/Double%202_zpsli4iga2k.jpg.html)

JimmyQ
10-09-2015, 10:24 PM
Those are a couple nice scores! Well done..you must of got you hands on Vic's plays

Was over at Oaks a few times today.... Nice crowd...

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a532/Oxbow13/Double%201_zpsrrt1lmxx.jpg (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/Oxbow13/media/Double%201_zpsrrt1lmxx.jpg.html)

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a532/Oxbow13/Double%202_zpsli4iga2k.jpg (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/Oxbow13/media/Double%202_zpsli4iga2k.jpg.html)

ManU918
10-10-2015, 09:25 PM
Returned today... $100 to $1380...

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a532/Oxbow13/Double_3_zpsgnm5lqdq.jpg (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/Oxbow13/media/Double_3_zpsgnm5lqdq.jpg.html)

ManU918
10-16-2015, 04:14 AM
Thanks.

Do you plan on making a stop there in the near future?

upthecreek
10-16-2015, 08:55 AM

There no OTB in Glassboro There's a new one in Gloucester Twp