PDA

View Full Version : One GOP Governor: Bring on the Immigrants

elysiantraveller
09-30-2015, 09:20 AM
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/09/detroit-saved-by-syrian-immigrants-rick-snyder-immigration-gop-213206

While the base rails against immigrants here is a Republican with an actual plan that makes sense...

Let the name calling begin.

Robert Goren
09-30-2015, 10:14 AM
In some people's minds, especially by republicans, there is a difference between high skill immigrants and common labors. It looks like in the tech field, a company can save upwards of $40k a year by hiring a immigrant or temporary visa worker.

elysiantraveller
09-30-2015, 10:26 AM
In some people's minds, especially by republicans, there is a difference between high skill immigrants and common labors. It looks like in the tech field, a company can save upwards of $40k a year by hiring a immigrant or temporary visa worker.

I agree and the Detroit example is where skilled workers are needed, however, there is a labor shortage in this state... period. Refreshing to see a realistic and pragmatic approach to multiple problems.

Tom
09-30-2015, 11:19 AM
Then why do we not train people here to do those jobs?

classhandicapper
09-30-2015, 11:31 AM
I have way less of a problem with educated and skilled workers coming to the US than I do with under-educated, unskilled, illegals that are way more likely to become dependent on our already strained social services and safety net, but I don't see the point of importing people when we already have millions of people at home that are underemployed or that have dropped out of the work force.

Why don't we take care of them first instead of importing workers and putting more downward pressure on wages?

Tom
09-30-2015, 11:43 AM
To bring people in to work when we have millions here out of work is ludicrous.

elysiantraveller
09-30-2015, 01:34 PM
At least where I live those that want to work can work.

ebcorde
09-30-2015, 02:14 PM
I have way less of a problem with educated and skilled workers coming to the US than I do with under-educated, unskilled, illegals that are way more likely to become dependent on our already strained social services and safety net, but I don't see the point of importing people when we already have millions of people at home that are underemployed or that have dropped out of the work force.

Why don't we take care of them first instead of importing workers and putting more downward pressure on wages?

EXACTLY! working in DC we all said the same thing. why are we hiring people 10,000 miles way when we can train all the unemployed here.

From my experience, Most of the high skilled labor that comes over on their first job are inexperienced., the language barrier was so bad, I avoided working with them.
I worked with this one Chinese girl on a year project, she never said anything at the meetings. everybody had their little part on the project. when it came time to piece the project together, she want even close. We all had to work overtime to write her code. Then she left we got a "new" chinese girl then she left and we added another new chinese girl.

Tom
09-30-2015, 02:20 PM
At least where I live those that want to work can work.
That is hardly the case throughout the country.

PaceAdvantage
09-30-2015, 02:53 PM
Well, since most people are trying to escape Detroit, it makes sense the Governor of Mich needs to try and lure in anyone and everyone he can to try and make things viable again...

thaskalos
09-30-2015, 02:54 PM
I worked with this one Chinese girl on a year project, she never said anything at the meetings. everybody had their little part on the project. when it came time to piece the project together, she want even close. We all had to work overtime to write her code. Then she left we got a "new" chinese girl then she left and we added another new chinese girl.
Is your place of work located in China?

Tom
09-30-2015, 03:20 PM
Sounds like the Program Manager really dropped the ball on this one.
It's his job to ensure the project is done right.

ArlJim78
09-30-2015, 08:24 PM
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/09/detroit-saved-by-syrian-immigrants-rick-snyder-immigration-gop-213206

While the base rails against immigrants here is a Republican with an actual plan that makes sense...

Let the name calling begin.
The type of visa program that Snyder is talking about is not what most people are up in arms about. But of course you knew that.

iceknight
09-30-2015, 09:13 PM
So it boils down that Snyder is more focused on positioning himself as a VP candidate than actually doing the job he signed up for (Governor)! Figures - another typical politician.

Read after me: he does NOT care about Detroit or Michigan's constituents. He cares only about more and more power. Don't believe me? Just google "Approval rating Snyder"

Tom
09-30-2015, 09:18 PM

Not true.
We rail against illegals and welcome immigrants who follow the rules.