PDA

View Full Version : Belmont weather for Saturday?

Kash$
09-29-2015, 09:12 PM
Reading some tweets messy storm on its way..Some even say they may even cancel..

andtheyreoff
09-29-2015, 09:15 PM
If they ran in the absolute bog that was JCGC day '09, they'll run Saturday.

SuperPickle
09-29-2015, 09:39 PM
It's going to be a very interesting weather weekend. They are talking about it maybe raining from Friday all the way to Sunday.

A canceled card or some of the turf stakes being canceled is a real possibility.

http://thevane.gawker.com/atmospheric-rube-goldberg-machine-could-dump-ridiculous-1733661310

Secondbest
09-29-2015, 10:18 PM
Raining now. Latest is rain from wednesday night through sunday

NorCalGreg
09-29-2015, 10:43 PM
Raining now. Latest is rain from wednesday night through sunday

And yet...as our rivers and lakes dry up, crops wither and die, not a drop of rain in sight for a parched California.

thespaah
09-29-2015, 11:20 PM
Here is the Official NWS Forecast
.THURSDAY...RAIN LIKELY. BREEZY AND COOLER WITH HIGHS IN THE UPPER
50S. NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH. CHANCE OF
RAIN 60 PERCENT.
.THURSDAY NIGHT...RAIN LIKELY. RAIN MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES. WINDY
WITH LOWS IN THE LOWER 50S. NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 25 MPH. CHANCE OF
RAIN 60 PERCENT.
.FRIDAY...RAIN LIKELY. RAIN MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES. BREEZY WITH HIGHS
AROUND 60. CHANCE OF RAIN 60 PERCENT.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...RAIN LIKELY. RAIN MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES. BREEZY WITH
LOWS IN THE UPPER 50S. CHANCE OF RAIN 60 PERCENT.
.SATURDAY...CLOUDY WITH A 50 PERCENT CHANCE OF RAIN. BREEZY WITH
HIGHS IN THE UPPER 60S.

Needless to say, Saturday's weather will probably chase off a lot of people who may have planned on going to the track.
As for turf racing, the weather will play havoc with that as well.
Of the scheduled 11 races six are on the turf including the G3 Hill Prince and the G1 Flower Bowl....
As a G1 and a Breeders' Cup "Win and you're in" event, my thinking this one stays on the grass as long as the course is safe on which to race.
My guess is the card will be dominated by which horses are NOT racing, as opposed to those which are going to post.

ReplayRandall
09-29-2015, 11:24 PM
And yet...as our rivers and lakes dry up, crops wither and die, not a drop of rain in sight for a parched California.

Looks like desalinization plants, like the one in Carlsbad, are going to be sprouting up all over the coastlines of Cal.....Might be a good investment opportunity for you to do some in depth research.

thespaah
09-29-2015, 11:31 PM
Looks like desalinization plants, like the one in Carlsbad, are going to be sprouting up all over the coastlines of Cal.....Might be a good investment opportunity for you to do some in depth research.
The idiot environmentalists don't like these either.

mikesal57
09-30-2015, 09:42 AM
It's going to be a very interesting weather weekend. They are talking about it maybe raining from Friday all the way to Sunday.

A canceled card or some of the turf stakes being canceled is a real possibility.

http://thevane.gawker.com/atmospheric-rube-goldberg-machine-could-dump-ridiculous-1733661310

I don't ever recall Belmont cancelling a whole card except for a week due to 9-11....turf to dirt , yes

FrankieFigs
09-30-2015, 09:50 AM
With Joaquin looming, cancelling is a real possibility. Weather not looking too good for the coast. Hope everyone battens down the hatches and all goes well.

GatetoWire
09-30-2015, 10:19 AM
I don't ever recall Belmont cancelling a whole card except for a week due to 9-11....turf to dirt , yes

in 2012 they cancelled the Friday card the day before the Jockey Club Gold Cup because of exactly the same type of heavy rain expected this week

mikesal57
09-30-2015, 11:36 AM
in 2012 they cancelled the Friday card the day before the Jockey Club Gold Cup because of exactly the same type of heavy rain expected this week

Dam..I musta had a hangover that day.... :sleeping:

But for a greedy NYRA to cancel a big card and on a weekend too is almost impossible...but ya never know

mike

Tom
09-30-2015, 11:41 AM
Might be cause for concern for individual horses who have dodged other races and now have only on choice for a BC prep. Could be bad track conditions.

Robert Fischer
09-30-2015, 12:42 PM
windy with a touch of rain

letswastemoney
09-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Planning to drive there since it's a 5-day weekend for me.

I hope it's not too bad. I don't mind driving long distances, but rain driving is difficult.

castaway01
09-30-2015, 04:10 PM

I hope it's not too bad. I don't mind driving long distances, but rain driving is difficult.

In all seriousness, I'm not going to say the card will be cancelled, but it looks like a very wet weekend for the East Coast (and possibly a hurricane hitting the coast). I would keep my eye on the weather before committing to that drive.

Grits
09-30-2015, 04:25 PM
It is raining so hard here in Carolina, and has been for 5 days. For us, and onward and upward along the east coast into New England...I would be surprised if this weekend is anything but a total wash out. They're calling for 5 to 6 more days of this, and our coast line has already experienced a great deal of flooding. There are several weather patterns along with Joaquin at play in all of this bleak mess. ... Feel like a duck.

Much good luck Tri state region. Unfortunately, this may not be the most favorable of times to be running horses or heading to Big Sandy. While Keeneland appears no better.

thespaah
09-30-2015, 11:18 PM

If you are coming from points south or west of NYC, you'll be in it. The rain that is.
Please be careful. Drive safely.

thespaah
09-30-2015, 11:20 PM
It is raining so hard here in Carolina, and has been for 5 days. For us, and onward and upward along the east coast into New England...I would be surprised if this weekend is anything but a total wash out. They're calling for 5 to 6 more days of this, and our coast line has already experienced a great deal of flooding. There are several weather patterns along with Joaquin at play in all of this bleak mess. ... Feel like a duck.

Much good luck Tri state region. Unfortunately, this may not be the most favorable of times to be running horses or heading to Big Sandy. While Keeneland appears no better.
Saw the sun here near Charlotte for the first time in 7 days. And now it's pouring. Supposed to rain here every day until Sunday maybe into Monday.

Storm Cadet
09-30-2015, 11:30 PM
All of the people in my group that go to Belmont this weekend of racing each year have already canceled out...rain starts around 6pm Thursday and will not break for 4-5 days.

grandstander21
10-01-2015, 08:12 PM
Really hope the rain is lenient on Saturday. I would hate to see a graded stakes card run on wet footing.

If it does rain at Belmont, you could always go to Keeneland for their card. Unfortunately, the weather report states that it will also rain in the Lexington area on Saturday.

thespaah
10-01-2015, 10:16 PM
All of the people in my group that go to Belmont this weekend of racing each year have already canceled out...rain starts around 6pm Thursday and will not break for 4-5 days.
Wow...That sucks.
We wait all year for this one weekend and the friggin weather turns it into shite....

NY BRED
10-02-2015, 10:41 PM
MEMO TO NYRA:

RESCHEDULE THE SATURDAY CARD TO SUNDAY.

IF NOT, EXPECT MULTITUDE OF SCRATCHES ON SATURDAY
AND A FRACTION OF THE ALREADY DIMISHED FANS NOW ATTENDING' LIVE RACING AT THE "CASTLE"

andtheyreoff
10-03-2015, 10:09 AM
MEMO TO NYRA:

AND A FRACTION OF THE ALREADY DIMISHED FANS NOW ATTENDING' LIVE RACING AT THE "CASTLE"

Great idea! It's not like there's already a card scheduled for Sunday! :faint: :bang: :rolleyes:

thespaah
10-03-2015, 04:47 PM
Looks like the weather held off and massive number of scratches did not take place.
Unfortunately it looks like the weather took its toll on the attendance.

BELMONT 6-6-09
10-03-2015, 04:50 PM
Spahhh, as you know Belmont can be a dreary experience on these cold, wet days in October. They made the big mistake of the opening of the structure facing north instead of south...long time ago!! ha ha

PaceAdvantage
10-05-2015, 05:03 PM
MEMO TO NYRA:

AND A FRACTION OF THE ALREADY DIMISHED FANS NOW ATTENDING' LIVE RACING AT THE "CASTLE"And that's why you don't run NYRA... :lol: