PDA

View Full Version : FLYING TO GO TO BELMONT

parlay
09-29-2015, 12:36 PM
Looks like JFK is the best place to fly into. How about the other options? Thanks for your insights. Also any recommendations on reasonable lodging close to the track.

Rollingpk3
09-29-2015, 01:44 PM
cheapest nearby place that is in a decent area is the floral park motor lodge which is about two miles from the track. triple crown diner right nearby is top notch. not a 5 star hotel by any means but if you are looking for a decent rate I would recommend checking out the reviews. I stay there when I play in the nyra contests.

Tor Ekman
09-29-2015, 01:47 PM
Check flights into LaGuardia as well, while JFK is about 5 miles closer to the track, getting in and out of LaGuardia is quicker than JFK.

Grits
09-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Flying into Macarthur at Islip, Long Island, is quicker in and out, less hectic, than LaG or JFK. Its a bit east, and straight in on the LIE.

Best hotel is Marriott at Uniondale, take a left out of Belmont, straight down Hempstead Turnpike at Hofstra University. Best value is, yes, the Floral Park Lodge on Jericho Tpk, left out of Belmont, left a block or two onto Plainfield Avenue, straight to Jericho, another left. You're there in less than 5 minutes.

The Triple Crown Diner, also on Jericho Tpk is great. Crabtree's, same street, is excellent for dinner.

Enjoy and have a safe trip. :)

Tor Ekman
09-29-2015, 02:15 PM
Flying into Macarthur at Islip, Long Island, is quicker in and out, less hectic, than LaG or JFK. Its a bit east, and straight in on the LIE.You'll have fewer choices with flights in and out of MacArthur and it's 40 miles east by way of either the LIE, Northern State Pkwy or Southern State Parkway, any of which, on any given day at any given time, can have you smack dab in the middle of a Long Island traffic jam.

Grits
09-29-2015, 02:20 PM
You'll have fewer choices with flights in and out of MacArthur and it's 40 miles east by way of either the LIE, Northern State Pkwy or Southern State Parkway, any of which, on any given day at any given time, can have you smack dab in the middle of a Long Island traffic jam.

I'm aware of all of this. I've never had traffic problems on the LIE as I've avoided rush hour and near rush hour flights in the past. Car pick up, the whole bit, is quick. But thank you for the reminder.

thespaah
09-29-2015, 11:39 PM
Looks like JFK is the best place to fly into. How about the other options? Thanks for your insights. Also any recommendations on reasonable lodging close to the track.
Long Island's Mac Arthur Airport.....Southwest flies into this one. As does US Airways( Now permanently known as "American Airlines")....
https://www.macarthurairport.com/airlines
yes, it's a longer ride from Islip. But you don't have to deal with the crush of people and other hassles of KJFK....

parlay
09-30-2015, 10:57 AM
Thank you all for the great info. I am scheduled to play in the BC tourney at Keeneland but its tough trip. I can play at Belmont which is much easier and cheaper to get to. Struggling with this one.

Mr Saratoga
10-03-2015, 10:55 AM
Good luck in the contest.
When I go to Belmont I fly into JFK, take the Airtrain to the LIRR @ Jamaica Station, then the train to Floral Park. Just a short walk from the FP train station to the FP motel.
Couldn't be easier.

Mr Saratoga
10-03-2015, 11:11 PM
parlay, check your pm's