PDA

View Full Version : Derbywars/horsetourneys contest

AlanBaze
09-27-2015, 11:21 AM
Hello

Quick question regarding making goals while playing in these tournaments. How are you coming up with an ending amount that needs to be made in? Is it just a guess, or do you use calculation? Thanks

horses4courses
09-27-2015, 11:32 AM
It has to be guesswork.
If a lot of short priced favorites are winning, totals have to be low.

Over the years, though, historical results give you a fair idea of what it takes.
You nearly always need a few high-odds winners to make an impact.

Charli125
09-29-2015, 10:44 AM
I played in the horsetourneys contest, and placed 5th. I did NOT have a great weekend, but the scores were low. My target coming in, with a $120 bankroll was $240-300. I ended up with $135.20

It's important to adjust your targets as the tournament plays out. There were only 3 cap horses all weekend(winner had 2 of them), so about a quarter of the way through day 2, sitting in 11th, I adjusted my target and starting going with lower priced horses. Those that continued going after big prices fell back and I was able to pass them in the stretch.

For cash bankroll tournaments, it usually takes more than 2-2.5 to win, less to be top 10% since people play a lot more conservatively.

Si2see
10-20-2015, 08:49 PM
Alan,

A general rule of thumb is between 2-3 times bankroll will be competitive. Of course it matters what odds horses come in throughout the tournament and it takes a pretty good grasp of how many favorites are live , and how many can get beat...

I have won several trips and tournament entries this year through horsetourneys ( great site, never have anything to worry about. If you win a trip or entry you can rest assured aside from being sure you get a confirmation email you have nothing to worry about everything will already be taken care of when you get to the venue )

Generally in a 12 race contest you need to be over 2 times your bankroll 12x$4=$48x2=$96. I can't recall ever outright winning one of these contests without being in or over the $90 range, typically you need to be between $120 range or 2.5 times bankroll

At the recent fall classic tournament at the Orleans in Vegas the results were scattered and surprising but I expected it to be considering it was a Win only tourney ( no place payouts )
The winner of the tournament had 7780 points. Starting bankroll was 3600 ( 12 $100 wagers x 3 days ) so the winner went right around 2.15 times his bankroll to win an almost 48 thousand dollar pay day. Not bad if you ask me.

Let me know if you need any other help,
Jason