PDA

View Full Version : Give and go's

Stillriledup
09-24-2015, 04:20 PM
I know it's part of racing, but at this track, with this level of horse, once the 3 yields to the 1 on the retake in first jug elim, the 3 isn't really driving to win. Once he yields to the 1, his chances go way down.

mrroyboy
09-24-2015, 06:34 PM
Maybe but remember he doesn't have to win to get into the final.

Stillriledup
09-24-2015, 06:44 PM
Maybe but remember he doesn't have to win to get into the final.

But you're supposed to try to win, people are still gambling money on these contests across state lines via wire.

RaceTrackDaddy
09-24-2015, 07:04 PM
But you're supposed to try to win, people are still gambling money on these contests across state lines via wire.
On the surface, one would think that to race to win was the most important thing (to us as bettors) but there are two things that really come into play.

First is the rules of post post position in the final. If it was an open draw for post and one did not need to win twice to take the title, then sitting back and just getting in using the least amount of your horse saving it for the big money.

Second is the fact that heat racing today is no longer common place. I can think of only the Hambo and this Jug being the two in the USA.

In the Jug's case, the post positions in the final are determined by the actual finish of the eliminations. Don't know if the two winners today drew for posts 1 and 2 or if they were assigned due to the finish times. Same is for the 3rd and 4th place having the 2nd place finishers in the elims draw. All the way to the 8th spot.

I wish they would not permit them to scratch out of the final without replacing them with an AE, the 5th place horses in the elims could stick around and provide the public with a full field.

It just may be that the (# 1) in the first elim was a hometown horse not having to ship in and driven by the all time leader driver over this fair in the history of the sport, I would take back and hope to draw the five hole or better in the final..

lamboguy
09-24-2015, 08:14 PM
i wonder what harness racing would be like if they closed down the passing lane and had heat racing once or twice a week?

pandy
09-24-2015, 08:18 PM
I know it's part of racing, but at this track, with this level of horse, once the 3 yields to the 1 on the retake in first jug elim, the 3 isn't really driving to win. Once he yields to the 1, his chances go way down.

I thought the biggest screw up in the first division was when the 4 horse, Dude's The Man (Adios Winner) didn't leave. The driver misjudged the early pace, which was slow. On half mile tracks, in big races, if you have a good post and a top horse, unless the horse is a monster grinder like Wiggle It Jiggleit, you have to try to leave.

Stillriledup
09-24-2015, 09:08 PM
On the surface, one would think that to race to win was the most important thing (to us as bettors) but there are two things that really come into play.

First is the rules of post post position in the final. If it was an open draw for post and one did not need to win twice to take the title, then sitting back and just getting in using the least amount of your horse saving it for the big money.

Second is the fact that heat racing today is no longer common place. I can think of only the Hambo and this Jug being the two in the USA.

In the Jug's case, the post positions in the final are determined by the actual finish of the eliminations. Don't know if the two winners today drew for posts 1 and 2 or if they were assigned due to the finish times. Same is for the 3rd and 4th place having the 2nd place finishers in the elims draw. All the way to the 8th spot.

I wish they would not permit them to scratch out of the final without replacing them with an AE, the 5th place horses in the elims could stick around and provide the public with a full field.

It just may be that the (# 1) in the first elim was a hometown horse not having to ship in and driven by the all time leader driver over this fair in the history of the sport, I would take back and hope to draw the five hole or better in the final..

I agree, they should make the purse earnings in leg 1 contingent on racing 2 heats. If you don't race (which is fine) you don't get paid for leg1.

Stillriledup
09-24-2015, 09:09 PM
I thought the biggest screw up in the first division was when the 4 horse, Dude's The Man (Adios Winner) didn't leave. The driver misjudged the early pace, which was slow. On half mile tracks, in big races, if you have a good post and a top horse, unless the horse is a monster grinder like Wiggle It Jiggleit, you have to try to leave.

Can that horse leave well w these tight turns?

RaceTrackDaddy
09-24-2015, 09:55 PM
Can that horse leave well w these tight turns?
That question could be a whole thread. There are different schools of thought on the subject.

Many people will tell you that this horse can't leave but he can close like a rocket. I ask them why can a horse put in his fast quarter of a mile on the 4th quarter when he would certainly have more energy in the first quarter?

I believe any horse can leave; though he might not have the endurance (stamina) to exert himself the whole mile but he does have a nice burst of speed. If this type of horse went to the top, he would have to slow the fractions down in order to save energy but he probably would fade up the track in the stretch.

There are other horses that have a lot of endurance but don't have a burst of speed. Those like to be on top and race the shortest distance while saving energy in the middle of the race while on the lead.

There was a harness game with a board and each horse was given a set of player cards with numbers on them from a low number to a large number. It was a half mile oval and you took turns using your numbered cards (your choice of what and when to use) and once you played your card, you moved your horse that many spaces. If one was parked out, you had to subtract a space from the card number when moving the horse forward. When I first started I used all the high cards first and would lead a long way until I had to use the low cards and the rest of the field came at me and past me. Racing in real life is very similar to that game as each horse has different talents and it is up to the driver to move at the right time in order to win the race.

I believe any horse can race early on; though they might not be there at the end of the race depending upon their limitations in speed and endurance.

jtschmidt
09-25-2015, 04:05 AM

It just may be that the (# 1) in the first elim was a hometown horse not having to ship inqu and driven by the all time leader driver over this fair in the history of the sport, I would take back and hope to draw the five hole or better in the final..

I can also think of the Jugette and the KY Futurity. I do not think the Hambo goes to three heats. Winner of second heats takes the contest.

Ray2000
09-25-2015, 05:37 AM
That question could be a whole thread. .....[yes]

I believe any horse can race early on; though they might not be there at the end of the race depending upon their limitations in speed and endurance.

Another factor is how they were schooled and/or trained down as a 2 year old. They all have enough speed to injure themselves at that age.