PDA

View Full Version : Not A Peep out of Smarty Team?

CryingForTheHorses
06-08-2004, 09:35 PM
Hmmm seems berfore the derby, We heard about Smarty,Wins the derby..lots more hype..Wins the preakness..pandamonium sets in..Loses the belmont..Havent heard a thing on really how he came out of his race..Seems if he was ok the trainer would assure us..Havent heard a peep since the Belmont..Hope he is ok

kenwoodallpromos
06-08-2004, 10:47 PM
I get my news mostly from Equibase. it;s breaktime after 7 races so far in '04. Maybe all stakes.

PaceAdvantage
06-09-2004, 12:24 AM
They said Smarty did not eat as well Sunday morning as he usually does. That's about it. He's fine otherwise.

Then they talked about him taking 3 or 4 weeks off, then resuming training. There is talk of the Haskell, then PA Derby, then a race against older horses before the BC Classic.

So he will probably race 3 or 4 more times before the end of the year. Then he will most likely be brought back next year, but they are talking as if he won't race too many times as a 4yo. Don't see the point in bringing him back at all (as a 4yo) if he is only going to race a few times.....

takeout
06-09-2004, 01:14 AM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/horseracing/bal-sp.belmont07jun07,0,3624396.story?coll=bal-sports-horse

[snip]
Servis said for the first time, Smarty Jones was tired. He left a little food after the Belmont.

"I think we finally got to the bottom of him," Servis said. "He's still a young horse. He'll mature, and he's going to get better."
[snip]

CryingForTheHorses
06-09-2004, 07:09 AM
DIDNT EAT WELL
A trainers worst Fear!!
1..Telling his owner that something is wrong
2..Hiding it from everyone..Cant let anyone know whats wrong.
3..Being able to assess the problem and fix it.
4..Losing the owner
Im asking you guys again...Did anyone see Smarty cooling out in the fenced in area?..Please look closely at him walking,I the world of horseracing,Trainers will say anything to keep other people happy.Hmmm didnt eat well after the race...I GUESS NOT!!, Ill bet he is still off his feed!!, Ill bet if you flex his ankles he will go thu the roof!!.Its ok if he is a little sore, He earned it!!,What I dont understand...Why the hell would you work a horse in 58 with a 160lb guy on his back...Hell he was fit,If you as me this horse was wayyyyyyyy overtrained!!!,The horse runs a distance...How fit do you have to be!!.Have talked to many people on the backside at Calder,everyone is saying the same thing...overtrained.Everyone is also saying Stewie didnt use his head....(Clock in his head ) Why!! When you always ride "Cheap" horses,you just go and hope they dont stop.I am going to harp once again about the importance of Vet Work in todays world, gone are the days of blistering a horse etc.Seems a lot of trainers with "cheap" horses will put them on the hoist and fix the problems ,But seems if they have a horse that runs for a million,they wont do that,Most think it ruins a horse! This my friends is why Nick won the belmont,He is a SOLID horseman, Is very hands on, Have seen him for myself!,Knows what he is looking at,Baffled everybody with his Birdstone excuses,But deep down he knew what was wrong with his horse and fixed him.Just 1 more thing...Did you see how Smarty trained everyday before the belmont...wih that HUGE!!! guy on him!...Sorry Mr Servis..

Latin Qtr
06-09-2004, 07:24 AM
McSchell sounds like he knows something, but its all old information. Servis did a great job and SJ did great races and
he lost to Birdstone, a grade-1 winner at two. So what? Every
day at every track races are won (and lost) for many many reasons but its all part of racing. IT IS THE GAME itself. No one
knows for sure exactly HOW SJ felt on Saturday. There is no one
reality only many views, but some views are just wacky.

pjd888
06-09-2004, 07:24 AM
another expert...after the fact...:eek:

Zaf
06-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Smarty and his connections did not embarrass themselves. Despite everything the hoss almost pulled it off. Birdstone & Smarty left all others in the dust.

ZAFONIC

CryingForTheHorses
06-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by pjd888
another expert...after the fact...:eek:

You need to look at my other posts my friend...

penguinfan
06-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by zafonic
Smarty and his connections did not embarrass themselves. Despite everything the hoss almost pulled it off. Birdstone & Smarty left all others in the dust.

ZAFONIC

I gotta say it is amazing all the negative talk around the horse racing community about Smarty Jones and his connections, for crying out loud he won the Kentucky Derby, The Preakness Stakes and finished 2nd in the Belmont Stakes well ahead of the rest of the field, that is one hell of a resume. It a shame you have to win them all or your a dud. I guess horses like Lion Heart are real pieces of shit then, they didn't win any of the above mentioned races:rolleyes:

Penguinfan

bettheoverlay
06-09-2004, 05:28 PM
One of the things I have always disliked about horse racing are all the after the fact anyalsis, like there is always a clear reason and explanation for every result. And hey I figured it all out! so listen up!

I think Servis, and really any trainer, is dreaming and pointing to winning the Kentucky Derby. Of course if you win it, now you are obligated to run in the Preakness when you should probably be giving your horse a nice rest. Maybe if Servis had pointed to winning the Triple Crown, he would've gone easier in the Arkansas races, which were no walks in the park.

At any rate I think Servis did a spectacular job, went the 5 million bonus route, and hopefully comes back strong in the fall, wins the Classic, and we can forget this disappointment.

Turf2Dirt
06-09-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by McSchell_Racing
DIDNT EAT WELL
A trainers worst Fear!!
4..Losing the owner
Im asking you guys again...Did anyone see Smarty cooling out in the fenced in area?..Please look closely at him walking,I the world of horseracing,Trainers will say anything to keep other people happy.Hmmm didnt eat well after the race...I GUESS NOT!!, Ill bet he is still off his feed!!, Ill bet if you flex his ankles he will go thu the roof!!.Its ok if he is a little sore, He earned it!!,What I dont understand...Why the hell would you work a horse in 58 with a 160lb guy on his back...Hell he was fit,If you as me this horse was wayyyyyyyy overtrained!!!,The horse runs a distance...How fit do you have to be!!.Have talked to many people on the backside at Calder,everyone is saying the same thing...overtrained.Everyone is also saying Stewie didnt use his head....(Clock in his head ) Why!! When you always ride "Cheap" horses,you just go and hope they dont stop.I am going to harp once again about the importance of Vet Work in todays world, gone are the days of blistering a horse etc.Seems a lot of trainers with "cheap" horses will put them on the hoist and fix the problems ,But seems if they have a horse that runs for a million,they wont do that,Most think it ruins a horse! This my friends is why Nick won the belmont,He is a SOLID horseman, Is very hands on, Have seen him for myself!,Knows what he is looking at,Baffled everybody with his Birdstone excuses,But deep down he knew what was wrong with his horse and fixed him.Just 1 more thing...Did you see how Smarty trained everyday before the belmont...wih that HUGE!!! guy on him!...Sorry Mr Servis..

Man this whole post is garbage!

He was overtrained, ok he had the lightest breeze schedule of any of the 3 year olds

He went 58 with a 160 lber, then won the Derby-Preakness out of that work

You could tell he was unsound... by the way he walked... watching through a fence.... on TV...

Dam you got a good eye, ever think of taking out for your trainers license? I got 20 $million Storm Cat babies I'll send ya right away

Turf2Dirt
06-09-2004, 10:45 PM
Hmmm seems berfore the derby, We heard about Smarty,Wins the derby..lots more hype..Wins the preakness..pandamonium sets in..Loses the belmont..Havent heard a thing on really how he came out of his race..Seems if he was ok the trainer would assure us..Havent heard a peep since the Belmont..Hope he is ok

This just IN!

Servis reports Smarty pooped three big piles in his stall last night!

there ya happy?

kenwoodallpromos
06-10-2004, 02:15 AM
I understand Tom's horses do pretty well and do not break down.
No one yet claims to have been on the backside at the Belmont last Saturday, so call it guessing, educated guessing, past observation, whatever, but a lot of people have opinions and I take all on face value except for my opinion, which of course is always right. LOL.
Smarty Jones lost because someone else hit the wire first in a race.
There could be dozens of reasons why the horses did what they did and finished where they did. Some are easier to find than others. My knowledge improves with behind-the-scenes stories I cannot get from any race under $100,000. Birdstone is a very dangerous threat, and Smarty has a big chance, in future races.

delayjf
06-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Have talked to many people on the backside at Calder,everyone is saying the same thing...overtrained.Everyone is also saying Stewie didnt use his head....

How would anybody at Calder know how to train or ride a TC horse. Never been there, never done that.

I will admit, SJ looked tired after the Belmont, but give the horse a break. The TC is the toughest test any thoroughbred can undertake. How tough??? Both Secretariat and Seattle Slew lost their next starts after the TC.

I know they used a 160lb ride to gallup the horse in the morning, but I'm willing to guess that they used SE or a lighter rider in the 5 furlong work. I don't have the form in front of me, but as I recall, SJ only worked one 7 furlong work prior to the Belmont. Over trained hardly, over raced perhaps. But that's the challenge of the TC.

Wonder why they won't run SJ in the Travers?? Perhaps Servis is getting a bonas like Baffert did.

CryingForTheHorses
06-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Turf2Dirt
Man this whole post is garbage!

He was overtrained, ok he had the lightest breeze schedule of any of the 3 year olds

He went 58 with a 160 lber, then won the Derby-Preakness out of that work

You could tell he was unsound... by the way he walked... watching through a fence.... on TV...

Dam you got a good eye, ever think of taking out for your trainers license? I got 20 $million Storm Cat babies I'll send ya right away

Hi I do have a good eye..and a 40% win average

PaceAdvantage
06-10-2004, 10:57 PM
DIDNT EAT WELL
A trainers worst Fear!!
4..Losing the owner
Im asking you guys again...Did anyone see Smarty cooling out in the fenced in area?..

I watched the video that you are citing (Smarty cooling out), with two people who know a hell of a lot more about the physicality of horses than I do, and both could not come to any conclusion based on the snippet of video that NBC showed of him cooling out and walking around in that tight little circle.

I think you might be seeing something that isn't quite there....