PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember?

BELMONT 6-6-09
09-19-2015, 05:11 PM
Does anyone recall the specifics of a book written by Ray Taulbot called THE WAYS AND MEANS OF WINNING?

I believe it was a method of selection and money management that dictated stopping play for the month when desired profit figure was attained. I could be wrong but this is what I remember. Does anyone have any comments.

Thanks in advance

atlasaxis
09-19-2015, 08:50 PM
Yes, that was the money management part of the book. There was also a selection procedure as well.

BELMONT 6-6-09
09-19-2015, 08:58 PM
Yes, that was the money management part of the book. There was also a selection procedure as well.

Am I correct in my assumption that he advised quitting for the month when the target profit was achieved???

atlasaxis
09-19-2015, 09:02 PM
Yes, then play resumes the following month with an increase of 5% per wager.

BELMONT 6-6-09
09-19-2015, 09:09 PM
Thank you. So the plan continues month to month with a 5% increase in the flat bets. Interesting.

therussmeister
09-19-2015, 10:03 PM
This is a very good idea if, for example, you reach your goal on the 19th and start the next month on the 20th.

BELMONT 6-6-09
09-19-2015, 10:06 PM
This is a very good idea if, for example, you reach your goal on the 19th and start the next month on the 20th.

I do believe the original plan called for waiting for the 1st of the month, but I am not 100% sure as I read the plan 35 years ago. Seems an out dated concept when the game was basically a win/place/show one daily double show.

ultracapper
09-20-2015, 02:39 AM

HA!!

atlasaxis
09-20-2015, 08:17 AM
I do believe the original plan called for waiting for the 1st of the month, but I am not 100% sure as I read the plan 35 years ago.

Correct Belmont.

HalvOnHorseracing
09-20-2015, 09:09 PM
I think Ray Taulbot was an exceptional resource at a time when there was very little published material for horseplayers. He was the original pace handicapper, and certainly had a big influence on my early handicapping thoughts. Taulbot told handicappers that the early pace had the primary influence on the final time (generally a faster pace would lead to slower finishes, and vice versa) and that the "class" of a runner could be measured by the ability of a horse to extend its speed over longer distances of ground. One important thing to remember is that betting in Taulbot's era meant WPS and a Daily Double, so some of his advice was colored by those betting limitations. Of course, it was called the Daily Double because there was exactly ONE daily.

I remember using the $56 betting method to great success, but for the life of me I can't remember exactly how it worked, other than you bet win and place based on how much was in your bankroll, which started at $56. As it grew you bet more until you reached a target (that was a common element in a lot of ATM's betting methods). If it shrunk you bet less, and if it went to zero you started over. Anyone remember the $56 betting method?

BELMONT 6-6-09
09-20-2015, 09:19 PM
I think Ray Taulbot was an exceptional resource at a time when there was very little published material for horseplayers. He was the original pace handicapper, and certainly had a big influence on my early handicapping thoughts. Taulbot told handicappers that the early pace had the primary influence on the final time (generally a faster pace would lead to slower finishes, and vice versa) and that the "class" of a runner could be measured by the ability of a horse to extend its speed over longer distances of ground. One important thing to remember is that betting in Taulbot's era meant WPS and a Daily Double, so some of his advice was colored by those betting limitations. Of course, it was called the Daily Double because there was exactly ONE daily.

I remember using the $56 betting method to great success, but for the life of me I can't remember exactly how it worked, other than you bet win and place based on how much was in your bankroll, which started at $56. As it grew you bet more until you reached a target (that was a common element in a lot of ATM's betting methods). If it shrunk you bet less, and if it went to zero you started over. Anyone remember the $56 betting method?

It was the $57 betting method which called for $19 win capital and $38 for the place capital and your initial bet would be $2 win $6 placed based on using the running bankroll. It was suggested you end the program with a profit goal.

HalvOnHorseracing
09-20-2015, 09:53 PM
It was the $57 betting method which called for $19 win capital and $38 for the place capital and your initial bet would be $2 win $6 placed based on using the running bankroll. It was suggested you end the program with a profit goal.

Yes, that was it. I remember the $2, $6 initial bet. Thanks for filling in the blank.

BELMONT 6-6-09
09-20-2015, 09:59 PM
It was a mathematically sound wagering strategy that was very solid in the days of full fields and routine large place prices. I would think (IMO), in todays racing if you had a knock on a favorite and/or second choice in a race the place payouts would be worth the effort.

KyRacer
09-21-2015, 12:28 AM
"The $57 Betting Method" by Richard Mark was in the March 1947 issue of American Turf Monthly. It's also in the "Treasury of American Turf" systems book by ATM.

thaskalos
09-21-2015, 01:49 AM
Wasn't Ray Taulbot the guy who suggested that the horseplayer cease play for the day if his first bet proved victorious...because you "couldn't improve on 100%"?

BELMONT 6-6-09
09-21-2015, 07:20 AM
Wasn't Ray Taulbot the guy who suggested that the horseplayer cease play for the day if his first bet proved victorious...because you "couldn't improve on 100%"?

Correct.