PDA

View Full Version : record keeping software

anotherdave
01-20-2002, 01:49 PM
I was wondering what sort of record keeping everyone does.

I have a very basic spreadsheet that I set up which keeps track of all of my wagers and calculates win percentage, average pay and ROI. I also have separate sprint and route calculations.

I would like to expand that a bit and look deeper. There are a couple of packages I know of on the market

"The Betting Analyst" from Cynthia Publishing $249
and
"Bettor Keep Track" from Netcapper $150

Does anyone have either of these and if so are they worth it? Or do you know of any cheaper but effective packages around.

Thanks

Bob Harris
01-20-2002, 04:49 PM
I have experience with both the Betting Analyst and Bettor Keep Track...Bettor Keep Track is a much nicer program and the fact that it's 100.00 cheaper is just icing on the cake. BKT allows the user to set up custom filters (to find profitable subsets) and you can also list a bet as imaginary if you like to track different systems on paper before you bet real money.

Dave Schwartz at one time marketed a record keeping program called "Money Man" which was also excellent...maybe we can encourage him to brush off the dust and sell it again (like he doesn't have enough to do already).

cj
01-20-2002, 05:30 PM
I personally wouldn't spend a dime on something like this. Anything you want can be done in EXCEL...if you can't do it, I'm sure you can find someone who could for a lot less, if not nothing. Just out of curiousity, what type features are you looking for?

CJ

Bruddah
01-20-2002, 05:53 PM
I have been using Equisim for over a year. As you build your database it takes care of all the record keeping and allows you to querie the db in many ways. However, you are asking about about specific bets and it doesn't allow for that, at present anyway. I am in agreement with using Excel to do this. I did it for several years using this spreadsheet and using the filtering options.

Slider
01-20-2002, 09:19 PM
Bob,
I asked Dave Schwartz to put in a record keeping area into HSH Pro a while back. He said he will put it into the program eventually. Naturally it is back burner thing because Pro is getting all kinds of neat upgrades monthly. Maybe after the Big database ants and trainer/jockey full stat screens are finished.
It will be nice when the record keeping feature is added. I will be glad to stop doing all that data entry into my excel spreedsheet. And knowing the qualilty of Dave's work, the record keeping and statistics will be state of the art with all the bells and frills.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Schwartz at one time marketed a record keeping program called "Money Man" which was also excellent...maybe we can encourage him to brush off the dust and sell it again (like he doesn't have enough to do already). [/B][/QUOTE]

JimG
01-20-2002, 09:35 PM
For record keeping, I recommend Capmoney which is a part of the Capsheet program. It is Dos-based but does the job. You can download Capsheet from Brisnet and of course do not need to download files to run Capmoney. You manually make enties.

Jim

Bob Harris
01-20-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Slider
Bob,
I asked Dave Schwartz to put in a record keeping area into HSH Pro a while back. He said he will put it into the program eventually. Naturally it is back burner thing because Pro is getting all kinds of neat upgrades monthly. Maybe after the Big database ants and trainer/jockey full stat screens are finished.
It will be nice when the record keeping feature is added. I will be glad to stop doing all that data entry into my excel spreedsheet. And knowing the qualilty of Dave's work, the record keeping and statistics will be state of the art with all the bells and frills.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Schwartz at one time marketed a record keeping program called "Money Man" which was also excellent...maybe we can encourage him to brush off the dust and sell it again (like he doesn't have enough to do already). [/B][/QUOTE]

Slider,

That will be nice when he adds that to HSH...I agree it will be top quality when he does. I think the real advantage of having a record keeping additon is that the race data is already in your computer. I really don't care what my win percentage is with 3yo fillies at 6.5f when running for a 20,000 tag...I just don't look at subsets that small and I really don't want to punch in that data. If the race conditions are already in the program...great!

I currently keep my records in a simple spreadsheet...if I were to use a separate record keeping program again I would insist that it allow me to ignore input which I had no interest in.

Have a great week!

Bob

Dick Schmidt
01-21-2002, 12:07 AM
Bob,

I have been on the verge of buying Bettor Keep Track several times in the recent past. I used the old DOS version of Dick Mitchell's Betting Analyst and one of the things I really disliked was the way it forced you to enter data in fields in which you had no interest. I remember that if you bet to win only, you still had to enter $0 to place, $0 to show and $0 exacta bets. A real kludge. Is Bettor Keep Track set up the same way or can you ignore fields that you don't want to track? How much information does it insist on, and what is optional? Do you think it is easy enough to use to justify the time involved?

Thanks for the info.

Dick

Bob Harris
01-21-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Dick Schmidt
Bob,

I have been on the verge of buying Bettor Keep Track several times in the recent past. I used the old DOS version of Dick Mitchell's Betting Analyst and one of the things I really disliked was the way it forced you to enter data in fields in which you had no interest. I remember that if you bet to win only, you still had to enter $0 to place, $0 to show and $0 exacta bets. A real kludge. Is Bettor Keep Track set up the same way or can you ignore fields that you don't want to track? How much information does it insist on, and what is optional? Do you think it is easy enough to use to justify the time involved?

Thanks for the info.

Dick

Hi Dick,

I just now launched my version to check what input was mandatory. The program asks for the following:

Track
Date
Race
Distance
Track Condition
Class
Sex

Once the race data has been entered you go to the wager input screen which is separated by WPS, Exactas, Quinellas and Other Exotic Wagers. The nice thing is you only have to type in the wagers you make...it will allow you to tab right over the place and show fields if you don't want to add anything in there.

I used The Betting Analyst too and think you would like BKT much better, especially if you like to track different angles or systems you might develop with HSN. If you remember, The Betting Analyst would allow you to enter a comment about the race but not each individual runner. With BKT you can add multiple comments for each runner...if a runner qualifies on more than one angle you are tracking, multiple entry isn't needed. Also, you can tag any entry you want as "imaginary"...this separates your real wagers from the test ones.

I have just basic computer knowledge and BKT was easy enough for me to get up and running...if I could "turn off" some of the race data fields I would be thrilled with it!

Hope that helps,

Bob

Dave Schwartz
01-21-2002, 01:23 AM
Bob & others that have asked,

The features you have talked about are coming but not in HSH. Rather, it will be in a program that does not need (hardly any) data entry to track your wagers. (It will certainly interface directly to HSH.) This will happen this year.

That is all I am prepared to say right now.

Dave Schwartz

ranchwest
01-21-2002, 05:56 PM
Would it help anyone to have a free DOS based program that would give you rudimentary capabilities without burdensome requirements?

anotherdave
01-21-2002, 06:37 PM
Thanks for all the info. I might try to expand my excel program as suggested. It looks like Bettor Keep Track is okay, but at $150 it seems a bit steep for what it appears to offer. I may be wrong!

Bob Harris
01-21-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
Bob & others that have asked,

The features you have talked about are coming but not in HSH. Rather, it will be in a program that does not need (hardly any) data entry to track your wagers. (It will certainly interface directly to HSH.) This will happen this year.

That is all I am prepared to say right now.

Dave Schwartz

Dave,

Very interested...please keep me informed.

Thanks!

Bob

Richard
01-22-2002, 05:49 AM
Personally,I use The Betting Analyst.As good a program as any.