PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown streak

Valuist
09-17-2015, 11:07 PM
The media hasn't mentioned much about Brown's streak, 33 consecutive games with FIVE or more catches, but IMO, its damned impressive. He really doesn't have a ton of help; nobody is going to double team Marcus Weedan or Heath Miller. But Brown gets double teamed every game. If he gets up to 56, IMO, it will be more impressive than DiMaggio's streak.

Valuist
09-20-2015, 07:14 PM
Streak still alive. 9 catches for a buck 95. When people talk about the best receiver, you hear them mention Dez Bryant, Odell Beckham, Julio Jones and Megatron. Not sure why Brown doesn't get the same publicity. He's 5'10" about 180 so its even more impressive. But people love physical freaks and that may explain why he's still underrated.

NorCalGreg
09-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Streak still alive. 9 catches for a buck 95. When people talk about the best receiver, you hear them mention Dez Bryant, Odell Beckham, Julio Jones and Megatron. Not sure why Brown doesn't get the same publicity. He's 5'10" about 180 so its even more impressive. But people love physical freaks and that may explain why he's still underrated.

Hello....Earth to Valuist: yeah, Antonio's very good. But, come on, man---the YANKEE CLIPPER? Brown HAS to have a good team around him--you think he would come anywhere near that record on Cleveland, Tampa, the Raiders (who won today BTW)????
On a side note...Antonio has a son named "AUTONOMY" ....serious

Dimaggio went to bat against pitchers that did their best to strike him out, keep pitches out of his comfort zone, take his head off, or else if he was able, just go ahead and walk him.
And you're from the SF East Bay? I'm guessing Piedmont, dude. :D
Take care
-NCG

Valuist
09-20-2015, 09:08 PM
Hello....Earth to Valuist: yeah, Antonio's very good. But, come on, man---the YANKEE CLIPPER? Brown HAS to have a good team around him--you think he would come anywhere near that record on Cleveland, Tampa, the Raiders (who won today BTW)????
On a side note...Antonio has a son named "AUTONOMY" ....serious

Dimaggio went to bat against pitchers that did their best to strike him out, keep pitches out of his comfort zone, take his head off, or else if he was able, just go ahead and walk him.
And you're from the SF East Bay? I'm guessing Piedmont, dude. :D
Take care
-NCG

DiMaggio would NEVER hit in 56 straight games under today's conditions. Virtually no relief pitching back in 1941; pitch counts? Unheard of back then. Sliders? Cutters? Didn't exist. Shifting defenses? Not a chance. Black pitchers? Dominican pitchers? Japanese pitchers? We know the answer to those in 1941. It wasn't a full talent pool back then. I'm not trying to diminish what he did; obviously a great accomplishment.

But if Brown does get to 56 games? I'd like to hear Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson's take. I suspect they'd say Brown's was more impressive.

But what shocks me is a couple guys on NFL Network were the only ones to mention the streak. Even if it ends at 34 games, its an amazing streak.

I'm from Chicago but just relocated to the Bay area a little over a month ago. Heard of Piedmont but no idea where it is. Didn't they have an earthquake recently?

NorCalGreg
09-20-2015, 09:46 PM
DiMaggio would NEVER hit in 56 straight games under today's conditions. Virtually no relief pitching back in 1941; pitch counts? Unheard of back then. Sliders? Cutters? Didn't exist. Shifting defenses? Not a chance. Black pitchers? Dominican pitchers? Japanese pitchers? We know the answer to those in 1941. It wasn't a full talent pool back then. I'm not trying to diminish what he did; obviously a great accomplishment.

But if Brown does get to 56 games? I'd like to hear Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson's take. I suspect they'd say Brown's was more impressive.

But what shocks me is a couple guys on NFL Network were the only ones to mention the streak. Even if it ends at 34 games, its an amazing streak.

I'm from Chicago but just relocated to the Bay area a little over a month ago. Heard of Piedmont but no idea where it is. Didn't they have an earthquake recently?

LOL.....that "PIEDMONT" comment was me taking a shot--stay awhile and you'll curse me for that.
Deion already thinks Babe Ruth is a joke, so why wouldn't he be impressed with Antonio over Dimaggio?
Why cross-over different sports? I'm a Raider fan obviously, but I don't think Tim Brown belongs in the Hall of Fame. Because he hung around a long time, caught a lot of passes, and never got arrested? Same with Art Monk. Name one memorable catch Tim Brown or Art Monk made?
If Antonio keeps this up--he's a lock for the Hall of Fame, IMO.
Anyway, welcome and don't worry about those earthquakes--happen all the time somewhere :D
-NCG

pandy
09-21-2015, 10:41 AM
The media hasn't mentioned much about Brown's streak, 33 consecutive games with FIVE or more catches, but IMO, its damned impressive. He really doesn't have a ton of help; nobody is going to double team Marcus Weedan or Heath Miller. But Brown gets double teamed every game. If he gets up to 56, IMO, it will be more impressive than DiMaggio's streak.

First of all, he has a long way to go to get to 56 and it's highly unlikely. It would be a great accomplishment, but what he's done so far is great.

But you shouldn't be comparing something that he hasn't done to Joe D's amazing streak, especially since it's in a completely different sport. Regardless of whether you think it couldn't happen in today's sport, it was amazing and DiMaggio was an extraordinary player and one of the top 10 greatest hitters in the history of baseball. He hit for power and average and hardly ever struck out.

Robert Fischer
09-21-2015, 12:06 PM
There are some similarities between Antonio Brown and Jerry Rice.

Valuist
09-21-2015, 04:08 PM
First of all, he has a long way to go to get to 56 and it's highly unlikely. It would be a great accomplishment, but what he's done so far is great.

But you shouldn't be comparing something that he hasn't done to Joe D's amazing streak, especially since it's in a completely different sport. Regardless of whether you think it couldn't happen in today's sport, it was amazing and DiMaggio was an extraordinary player and one of the top 10 greatest hitters in the history of baseball. He hit for power and average and hardly ever struck out.

The point of comparison is really about the complete lack of publicity for Brown. EVERYONE knows about DiMaggio's streak. And we aren't talking about the Harold Carmicheal 1 or more catches for 100 plus straight games. I would never equate that to a hitting streak. But to catch 5 or more passes every game for 34 games in the most physically brutal sport is amazing. He gets double teamed every game. Its not like he just uses sheer size to overpower DBs because many are bigger than him. Even the greats had strong WRs on the other side; Rice had John Taylor; Swann had Stallworth; Moss had Chris Carter. The other wideouts on the Steelers don't scare anybody.

No question DiMaggio was one of the all-time greats. In that 1941 season, he struck out only 13 times in over 600 at bats. And while he hit around .350, he was no match for Ted Williams, who topped .400 that season.

Since DiMaggio, what have been the greatest streaks in sports? Arguably, the UCLA basketball team win streak is most impressive of all. Edwin Moses won over 100 straight races. I think Pete Rose came the closest to DiMaggio's hit streak back in the late 70s. But this streak of Brown's deserves much more credit than its been given.

cj
09-21-2015, 05:38 PM
I personally think Brown is the best receiver in the game right now, and there are lot of really good wide receivers. It is the glamour position now after QB, way surpassing running backs.

Valuist
10-01-2015, 06:21 PM
It will be interesting to see if Brown can keep his streak alive with Vick at QB. Certainly won't help him at all.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/15471/ben-roethlisberger-injury-could-affect-antonio-browns-historic-pace

pandy
10-01-2015, 06:26 PM
It will be interesting to see if Brown can keep his streak alive with Vick at QB. Certainly won't help him at all.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/15471/ben-roethlisberger-injury-could-affect-antonio-browns-historic-pace

Vick is very erratic. I was at a Jet game when Vick was playing and watching him live, there are two things that impressed me, for his age he is a remarkable athlete, and he tries very hard. He escaped some tacklers that day and kept plays going and it was stunning to watch. He's definitely one of the best running QB's ever. But his passing is inconsistent. I'm generally not a fan of that type of QB. Give me the accurate pocket passer over the runner.

burnsy
10-01-2015, 06:45 PM
Vick is very erratic. I was at a Jet game when Vick was playing and watching him live, there are two things that impressed me, for his age he is a remarkable athlete, and he tries very hard. He escaped some tacklers that day and kept plays going and it was stunning to watch. He's definitely one of the best running QB's ever. But his passing is inconsistent. I'm generally not a fan of that type of QB. Give me the accurate pocket passer over the runner.

Yeah, but the proto type now (other than pocket guys) is the guys that can do both. Aaron Rodgers does both when he's healthy. Some of the crap he pulled Monday night was like Houdini. Russell Wilson is another one that can get it done both ways. Cam Newton looks good this year. Tyrod Taylor and Marcus Mariota seem to be coming from the same mold. Vick is aging and I never thought he could think as fast as he's running as these other guys but its the new trend and these boys are winning. Andrew Luck gets killed because he can't move. His coach pretty much admitted it. With all the blitz's and pass rushes, it really, really helps. If the offensive line is weakened.....it really helps. These guys mix quick releases with other plays where they hold it, then get away, and its a deadly combo in todays basketball type, passing style.

pandy
10-01-2015, 07:04 PM
Yeah, but the proto type now (other than pocket guys) is the guys that can do both. Aaron Rodgers does both when he's healthy. Some of the crap he pulled Monday night was like Houdini. Russell Wilson is another one that can get it done both ways. Cam Newton looks good this year. Tyrod Taylor and Marcus Mariota seem to be coming from the same mold. Vick is aging and I never thought he could think as fast as he's running as these other guys but its the new trend and these boys are winning. Andrew Luck gets killed because he can't move. His coach pretty much admitted it. With all the blitz's and pass rushes, it really, really helps. If the offensive line is weakened.....it really helps. These guys mix quick releases with other plays where they hold it, then get away, and its a deadly combo in todays basketball type, passing style.

I like QB's that can run, but not running QBs. Aaron Rogers is the best QB in the NFL in my opinion, but he is not a running QB, he's a pocket passer who runs when he has to. Vick is more like Russell Wilson, a running QB. When they make a good run it looks great but they often fail to spot open receivers. I'm not a fan of Wilson, I think he's one of the luckiest guys in the league, got to QB a team that had a sensational defense. It's easy to QB when you don't have to score many points.

Vick fumbles and gets intercepted way too much but he just tries so hard to make a play that he screws up....you have to learn to play within yourself.

I agree about Cam Newton, a remarkable athlete. He's gotten much better at knowing when to run and consequently he's a much better QB now.

I guess it comes down to the proper balance. Any QB that runs too often is not only going to make mistakes but he's going to get injured too often.

Robert Goren
10-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Vick has not been inconsistent in years. He has been consistently just plain awful.

Valuist
10-01-2015, 11:50 PM
Brown actually had two streaks going; 5 catches per game and the other was at least 50 yards receiving. Thanks to OT, the 5 catch/game streak is still alive. But thanks to Vick's ineptness, Brown didn't get to 50 yards.

Maximillion
10-01-2015, 11:57 PM
Did Phil Simms just say that was a "real solid" peformance from Michael Vick in closing out the game?

ronsmac
10-02-2015, 03:22 PM
Did Phil Simms just say that was a "real solid" peformance from Michael Vick in closing out the game?
Vick was awful last night. At least he didn't turn the ball over though.

Robert Goren
10-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Vick was awful last night. At least he didn't turn the ball over though.My sentiments exactly. If you can't beat the ravens this year, there not many teams you can beat.

Valuist
10-02-2015, 08:32 PM
Vick now 3-13 in his last 16 starts.

Not looking good for Pittsburgh for the next few weeks.

Valuist
10-18-2015, 12:46 PM
Brown's streak finally came to an end last Monday night, with Vick at QB. Can't help but wonder how long it would've continued if Ben had stayed healthy.

Valuist
11-09-2015, 10:03 PM
Brown did a nice month worth of work on Sunday; 17 catches for 284.

pandy
11-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Brown did a nice month worth of work on Sunday; 17 catches for 284.
I watched that game, one of the best games I've ever seen a receiver have in a regular season game, phenomenal.

PhantomOnTour
11-10-2015, 12:24 AM
As a huge Steelers fan I never thought I'd find a player I love like I did Hines Ward...and then this kid comes along :faint:

A joy to watch

Valuist
11-15-2015, 11:50 PM
So that streak is over. How about this one?

Seattle now has had a lead in 57 consecutive games. Pretty impressive. But it must be regular season games only. I remember the playoff game in Atlanta where they fell behind 21-3, only to fall short 30-28.