PDA

View Full Version : can't lose at tdn....

proximity
09-17-2015, 09:22 PM
....unless I drive to ohio?

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/94489/ohio-hbpa-pulls-plug-on-thistledown-signal?source=rss

obviously the track is in the wrong here to not follow through on the contract but horsemen blocking the out of state exporting of a signal? :confused:

lamboguy
09-17-2015, 09:41 PM
the horsemen are ill advised on this one. this is what Caesars wants to happen. they are going to go their lobbyist's and make their way to the Ohio state house and and convince their representatives that the horsemen are to tough to deal with and its not worth keeping the racing business alive in Ohio.

Maximillion
09-17-2015, 09:59 PM
The last post in the comments section of that bloodhorse link to me sounds very believable,and if they cut corners on the racing side to that extent,i cant really fault the horseman in this case.

thespaah
09-17-2015, 10:03 PM
the horsemen are ill advised on this one. this is what Caesars wants to happen. they are going to go their lobbyist's and make their way to the Ohio state house and and convince their representatives that the horsemen are to tough to deal with and its not worth keeping the racing business alive in Ohio.
I just don't get it......
They cut off the signal resulting in the handle, from which their purses are derived, to tumble to under $100k for an 8 race card....
The Bloodhorse article claims the dispute is focused on a 30 stall ( of 1050) shortage.
I think there is more to this.
What is the slot/gaming/ purse enhancement situation in Ohio?

thespaah
09-17-2015, 10:04 PM
The last post in the comments section of that bloodhorse link to me sounds very believable,and if they cut corners on the racing side to that extent,i cant really fault the horseman in this case.
I commented on there.
I think the argument is silly..
What is stopping the horsemen from simply going to one the nice new tracks in Ohio?

Maximillion
09-17-2015, 10:19 PM
I commented on there.
I think the argument is silly..
What is stopping the horsemen from simply going to one the nice new tracks in Ohio?

Nothing i would guess....to me it just seems like a shame that they could not devote any resources to the backside.After all these years they finally have a pretty nice betting product there and instead of trying to grow it they were looking to cut corners any way they could....par for the course it seems.

thespaah
09-17-2015, 10:50 PM
Nothing i would guess....to me it just seems like a shame that they could not devote any resources to the backside.After all these years they finally have a pretty nice betting product there and instead of trying to grow it they were looking to cut corners any way they could....par for the course it seems.
I understand that part. But the horsemen are setting fire to their own house to get rid of a couple houseflies.

duncan04
09-18-2015, 08:45 AM

I could see the last part being true. Horsemen are pissed at Belterra Park. They cut racing purses despite the slots.

lamboguy
09-18-2015, 09:30 AM
i have been following racing for many years, when simulcasting came around it was the start of big changes. then along came the Super trainer's, now we have slots and track owners seem not to care to much about racing.

the corporation's have evolved into the game. the biggest ones are Stronach Group, Churchill Downs, Penn National and Caesars. the only group that seems to care about the content is Stronach. maybe they are going to wind up with all the race tracks and run them as a whole. it seems like they are trying to get their hands on them now.

therussmeister
09-19-2015, 11:19 AM
Dispute resolved (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/94516/ohio-hbpa-thistledown-resolve-dispute?source=rss)

Stillriledup
09-19-2015, 11:27 AM
So the horsemen pulled a Michael Jackson and hung the horseplayers over the balcony for an issue that had nothing to do with the bettors, something about stalls. Nice.

therussmeister
09-19-2015, 12:24 PM
So the horsemen pulled a Michael Jackson and hung the horseplayers over the balcony for an issue that had nothing to do with the bettors, something about stalls. Nice.
The horsemen have limited leverage. All they can do is withhold the signal or boycott the entry box. Both of these things screw the bettors. Boycotting the entry box has a limited effect because some trainers would enter anyway and some trainers would ship in to take advantage of the soft competition.

Ruffian1
09-19-2015, 01:21 PM

NO ! NO! NO!

Wake up !

Management pulled some crap knowing full well the only recourse was for horsemen to do what they did.

They dared them at the possible expense of the customers and the horsemen.

It is Management that did not give a crap about the customer, not horsemen.

Why don't you blame the culprit, not the people that would have otherwise gotten screwed.:bang:

highnote
09-19-2015, 06:48 PM
Any idea what Thistledown was worth before they became a racino?

Are there other racetracks that are for sale or have closed recently that could be run by or reopened by horseplayer friendly management?

thaskalos
09-19-2015, 06:55 PM

Are there other racetracks that are for sale or have closed recently that could be run by or reopened by horseplayer friendly management ?
"Horseplayer-friendly" management? What's that?

Ruffian1
09-19-2015, 07:22 PM

Are there other racetracks that are for sale or have closed recently that could be run by or reopened by horseplayer friendly management?

CharlesTown.

Was for sale for a song back in the day.

therussmeister
09-19-2015, 10:08 PM

Suffolk, Colonial and Atlantic City are probably available, maybe Finger Lakes and Arlington too. Now all you need to do is find horseplayer friendly management.