PDA

View Full Version : Muslim youth arrested for making a suspicious clock

FantasticDan
09-16-2015, 01:08 PM
14yo boy who loves tinkering with electronics whipped together a digital clock from parts, and brought it to school to show his science teacher...

And it all went haywire after that..

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34266389

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/northwest-dallas-county/headlines/20150915-irving-ninth-grader-arrested-after-taking-homemade-clock-to-school.ece

ebcorde
09-16-2015, 01:19 PM
Big lawsuit will be coming. They jump to crazy conclusions fast down there.
I died laughing "it looks like a bomb" "it's looks like a movie bomb"

Clocker
09-16-2015, 01:35 PM
Big lawsuit will be coming. They jump to crazy conclusions fast down there.
I died laughing "it looks like a bomb" "it's looks like a movie bomb"

Did it have a red LED display counting down to zero? :p

ReplayRandall
09-16-2015, 01:41 PM
Did it have a red LED display counting down to zero? :p

Of all the posters to respond to a "suspicious clock" thread.....It's gotta be Clocker.. :lol:

Tom
09-16-2015, 01:57 PM
Darwin Award winner?

Inner Dirt
09-16-2015, 02:15 PM
It isn't a movie bomb unless it is wired to road flares, ha,ha. That would not look like a bomb to most people, but that is Irvine California.
Most white collar people down there probably would call building maintenance to change a light bulb on a table lamp. They have no idea if they
were looking at bomb parts or the inside of a PC tower.

Marshall Bennett
09-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Better safe than sorry. Next Muslim kid might have a real one. :cool:

andtheyreoff
09-16-2015, 04:18 PM
Better safe than sorry. Next Muslim kid might have a real one. :cool:

Typical xenophobic jerk response.

NorCalGreg
09-16-2015, 05:18 PM

.........and here's another: They brought it on themselves. We were at one time happy to allow Muslims and any one else to migrate here, as was Europe. When you figure out a way to decide which ones are normal, decent people who just want to come here and assimilate, and start a new life, and be an asset--from those that only want to tear down, destroy, kill, force THEIR beliefs upon us......get back to us. Until then......

FantasticDan
09-16-2015, 05:51 PM
The kid got White House and Facebook HQ'ers invites.. :cool:

horses4courses
09-16-2015, 05:59 PM
Yeah.....as far as the resident xenophobes are concerned,
the OP had them at "Muslim youth arrested".
Could have saved himself a little extra typing........ :lol:

horses4courses
09-16-2015, 06:30 PM
Poor kid was hooked up in Texas, too.
Well, bless my soul.......... :rolleyes:

Marshall Bennett
09-16-2015, 07:12 PM
No, it's the sad truth. I don't trust any of them over the age of 2. If it weren't for bleeding heart sympathizers like yourself, the rest of us wouldn't need to worry.
Blind and stupid is hard to overcome. So good luck with that, cowboy. With your attitude and conditioning, you may need it.

classhandicapper
09-16-2015, 07:28 PM
The kid got White House and Facebook HQ'ers invites.. :cool:

If it was actually a bomb he still would have gotten an invite from the moron in the White House. Then they would have rolled out the red carpet for the rest of his friends and family at the Madrasa in the caliphate so he could teach them too. It's just part of the globalist diversity and tolerance plan for destroying every capitalist and free country on earth.

andtheyreoff
09-16-2015, 08:00 PM
Blind and stupid is hard to overcome. So good luck with that, cowboy. With your attitude and conditioning, you may need it.

Pot calls kettle black, I see.

serp
09-16-2015, 08:26 PM
This was a 14 year old kid who made his own clock. Designed his own circuit and put it in a small pencil box (the finger is cropped out of most pictures to make it look bigger but the box is like 6" wide).

After quick inspection nobody at the school thought it was an actual bomb. The police were called anyways and they handcuffed the kid and took him to the station where 5 police officers interrogated him without his parents present.

This seems like something we should all be able to agree on is a terrible mistake. The fact that some of you justify it because he's muslim is beyond deplorable. This kid has no more connection with the extremist muslims than you do with the white right wing extremist murderers.

Feel free to avoid who you want to avoid in your daily life but let's hold up short of using tax dollars and our police force to intimidate young kids because they or their family are muslim.

NorCalGreg
09-16-2015, 08:31 PM
I know this is childish, but I can't help it when it comes to...Vic put it very well: f***ing morons (to steal Reno Bob's line--did I pronounce that correctly?)

DEAN WORMER to ANDTHEYREOFF: FAT, DRUNK, & STUPID IS NO WAY TO GO THROUGH LIFE, SON

There are of course, decent Muslim people everywhere, but the assholes among them have permanently ruined ANY chance any decent muslim folks will ever have, of living outside of the Middle East. Yet instead of blaming the assholes....you blame their victims, who are desperately trying to protect themselves. There should be a new word----ASSHOLISM. It fits me at times...You?

horses4courses
09-16-2015, 08:35 PM
The fact that some of you justify it because he's muslim is beyond deplorable.

Welcome to PA-OTG :)

Please fasten your seat belt, and ensure
that you are seated in an upright position. ;)

NorCalGreg
09-16-2015, 11:02 PM
This was a 14 year old kid who made his own clock. Designed his own circuit and put it in a small pencil box (the finger is cropped out of most pictures to make it look bigger but the box is like 6" wide).

After quick inspection nobody at the school thought it was an actual bomb. The police were called anyways and they handcuffed the kid and took him to the station where 5 police officers interrogated him without his parents present.

This seems like something we should all be able to agree on is a terrible mistake. The fact that some of you justify it because he's muslim is beyond deplorable. This kid has no more connection with the extremist muslims than you do with the white right wing extremist murderers.

Feel free to avoid who you want to avoid in your daily life but let's hold up short of using tax dollars and our police force to intimidate young kids because they or their family are muslim.

If stopping me, cuffing me, patting me down for a weapon while running my ID, or even taking me down to the station, might one day just save someone's life...I'm not gonna get an attitude about it--I'm going to maturely comply with everything requested, then go about my day. And you instantly knew this kid had nothing to do with muslim extremists? Well neither did the police. Easy to armchair QB isn't it.

elysiantraveller
09-16-2015, 11:18 PM
No, it's the sad truth. I don't trust any of them over the age of 2.

Something similar was said about a different group of people in 1930s Germany.

NorCalGreg
09-16-2015, 11:31 PM

Did you just invoke "Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies"? Hit the bricks....you're done ely.

elysiantraveller
09-16-2015, 11:36 PM
Did you just invoke "Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies"? Hit the bricks....you're done ely.

Felt on point.

We've already tossed away the First and Fourth Amendment in this thread.

Seemed about time.

NorCalGreg
09-16-2015, 11:48 PM
Felt on point.

We've already tossed away the First and Fourth Amendment in this thread.

Seemed about time.

Yep...let this thread die of natural causes

andtheyreoff
09-17-2015, 12:26 AM

I wold love to hear what they would've thought about Japanese people in the early 1940s.

Clocker
09-17-2015, 12:28 AM
I see too much emphasis on "Muslim" and too little on "stupid". Obama got it wrong when he said that the Cambridge police acted stupidly, but he would have nailed it here if he said that the school and the police acted stupidly.

Everything I have seen indicates that the kid is a nerd first and a Muslim second. If those in authority couldn't see that, they need to find a new line of work. Maybe flipping burgers.

Marshall Bennett
09-17-2015, 05:07 AM
Just curious. Had nothing been done and the clock exploded killing a bunch of children, who would you be blaming then?
Perhaps the police over-reacted, but at the end of the day everyone involved is safe and sound. In your world, the odds of that go way down. There is no way in hell you can deny that. :)

Oh btw, your analogy comparing Muslims and Jews is dumb. I don't recall Jews with organized terror groups terrorizing the world, often by strapping explosives to small children.

burnsy
09-17-2015, 07:46 AM
Yep...let this thread die of natural causes

It should, because it just makes people look stupid, especially Texas and posters. They can't look at that thing for three seconds and tell its not a bomb. It was a science class after all, must be a great teacher, administration and very bright cops. We better check every red neck, jack ass that rents a U Haul too. He might load it up with fertilizer and pull up to a government building. Those guys waving the flag and cross....they just might burn one in someone's yard. If I went by some peoples logic, I would never leave my house. According to them EVERYONE is after me. Now the Muslims have "cuties", or leprosy, maybe its small pox....to match small minds. Some people are just an embarrassment to mankind and you can read it all here......

Yeah, the kids a Muslim, must be a killer too. The Injuns are coming..... :lol:
Who are these morons? What rock do they live under? "I can't trust them, they're different." Said the sharpest one in the room........not.

Fager Fan
09-17-2015, 07:49 AM
Obama says and does nothing about cops being mowed down but takes a Muslim boy under his wing. That's the story here.

elysiantraveller
09-17-2015, 08:28 AM
Just curious. Had nothing been done and the clock exploded killing a bunch of children, who would you be blaming then?.

But it didn't... because it was a ****ing clock.

Stop while you're not ahead.

Robert Fischer
09-17-2015, 09:16 AM
I haven't done any deep digging here, but from what I skimmed on facebook, it's hard for me to tell the reality of the situation.

For all I know, the kid could have been playing around and trolling for attention from the students and teachers with an 'ambiguous' device that was meant to get attention , and then, after the fact , his representatives presented the innocent/science-geek/inventor/angel to the media and it makes for a great political correct violation story.

From the story alone, yes, it was awful how they treated this kid.

classhandicapper
09-17-2015, 09:22 AM
Just curious. Had nothing been done and the clock exploded killing a bunch of children, who would you be blaming then?
Perhaps the police over-reacted, but at the end of the day everyone involved is safe and sound. In your world, the odds of that go way down. There is no way in hell you can deny that. :)

I agree with this.

You can argue the situation was handled very poorly, but you have to exercise some caution until you know what's going on.

There have been acts of terror all over the world and we've already had some horrific ones here in the US.

The reality is that we are at war with a subset of Muslims that make up x% of all of them. If x% was some very tiny number, you could disregard it as random acts of violence by a handful of unstable people like we've also had in the US from time to time. But x% is a significant percentage that is coordinating its efforts strategically. And a significant percentage of a billion or more people is a damn lot people. Opening our borders to their refugees (which is arguably not even the correct term since it's more like a stealth invasion disguised as a refugee situation) or even large numbers of immigrants from some of the more extremist countries is so freaking stupid, I can't help but think anyone in favor of it is suffering from a form of idealism that borders on mental illness or is purposely trying to wreak havoc. There is no other choice. It's that damn stupid. What you do is respect the Muslims that are already here that are good, hard working, legal citizens that want to assimilate and came here because they shared our values. But you keep your guard up because we are home growing these extremists too. The rest we don't need for now.

PaceAdvantage
09-17-2015, 11:43 AM
Here's what I want to know.

If this kid strolls into the White House with clock in hand, what are the odds the Secret Service will examine this thing before allowing it near the President?

That's the question I want answered.

I'm willing to bet a lot of money the Secret Service WILL examine it and this kid will go through the proper security screening.

Would that then make Obama a hypocrite (again)?

Inner Dirt
09-17-2015, 12:20 PM
Cops overact and strong arm people of all ages, ethnicities shapes and sizes.
My mid 60's passive Aunt had her Suburban ripped apart,was detained for hours, treated like crap, and cut loose without an apology when paint supplies in plain view caused the drug sniffing dog to alert. As many of you there are chemicals common to paint and solvents that can be found in methamphetamine. My Aunt is pale white.

Cops are not the overly brave, high I.Q. geniuses that easily solve every crime
that are portrayed on TV. Only a small percentage of Muslims are radical extremists that are dangerous, but they get the most media coverage, so
the average person is led to believe there is a higher percentage of them than there really are.

I doubt this kid's ethnicity had anything to do with what happened, but the media loves to scream racism whenever it can. We are talking Irvine California which is a white collar office complex mecca, pretty sure most
people there don't know how to use a screwdriver or know what a bomb really looks like even the police. I know the area, had a girlfriend from that
city and used to live 50 miles away for two decades.

Inner Dirt
09-17-2015, 12:21 PM

If this kid strolls into the White House with clock in hand, what are the odds the Secret Service will examine this thing before allowing it near the President?

I'm willing to bet a lot of money the Secret Service WILL examine it and this kid will go through the proper security screening.

I would take a bet he would get tackled and wrested to the ground.

Marshall Bennett
09-17-2015, 12:30 PM
But it didn't... because it was a ****ing clock.

Stop while you're not ahead.
As with most liberals, you are in complete denial over simple logic.
You blame conservatives when it blows up, and you blame them when they take precautions.
You simply want the last word whether you know you're right or wrong. Your reply to my post "it was a fkn clock" sums it up. How could you ever tell it was just a clock?
Middle Eastern + clock + a school....HELLO!!!
Are you really that stupid? Oh wait I almost forgot...liberal logic. Just stupid on terrorism and what else?

FantasticDan
09-17-2015, 01:13 PM
That's the question I want answered. I'm willing to bet a lot of money the Secret Service WILL examine it and this kid will go through the proper security screening. Would that then make Obama a hypocrite (again)?Any person visiting the President goes through the proper screening, as does any "object".

So your "question" is moot. :ThmbUp:

Tor Ekman
09-17-2015, 02:02 PM
For years the Federal and State authorities have been preaching: "If you see something, say something" . . . so someone saw something and said something . . . so now what?

Tom
09-17-2015, 02:04 PM
Looked more like a bomb than a clock to me.
How many clocks are built in a brief case?

Inner Dirt
09-17-2015, 02:18 PM
How many clocks are built in a brief case?

So far one that I know of, good point.

FantasticDan
09-17-2015, 03:06 PM
How many clocks are built in a brief case?It was put in a smaller student pencil case, not a brief case.

Tom
09-17-2015, 03:13 PM
Well, we have seen one in a briefcase, but none in a pencil box!

elysiantraveller
09-17-2015, 03:28 PM
As with most liberals, you are in complete denial over simple logic.

I am not a liberal... I am also not a bigot.

Marshall Bennett
09-17-2015, 03:50 PM
I am not a liberal..
Well that narrows it down. I was kinda giving you the benefit of the doubt because you can't be a conservative. :)

Marshall Bennett
09-17-2015, 03:53 PM
It was put in a smaller student pencil case, not a brief case.
Let me guess, it wasn't ticking either? So it passed your test. :)

elysiantraveller
09-17-2015, 05:19 PM
Well that narrows it down. I was kinda giving you the benefit of the doubt because you can't be a conservative. :)

Can't I?

Unlike your boy Trump the only candidates I've ever given money to are conservative republicans.

NorCalGreg
09-17-2015, 05:30 PM
lol ...I can barely type this w/out laughing--according to known,accepted, standard internet debate rules.. immediately upon ely's atrocious debate faux paux- this thread should have been closed and the muslim boy and all his supporters declared a loser of the highest order. I, nay WE demand justice, Moderator.
So anyway, later dudes....Los Alamitos is calling

http://www.losalamitos.com/

***the best horse racing splash page in America***

-NCG

woodtoo
09-17-2015, 07:14 PM
Who's your daddy? Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed ..Sudanese Sufist (Islamopologist) who ran for Sudans Presidency, also sought publicity in
debate over Koran burning by FL pastor Terry Jones.
President and owner of Alsufi International solar energy,wonder if he got any
Greem Energy $$$ from Obama. And President of Alsufi Centre in Irving.

T'was a set up folks for daddyO.

A clock is not an invention, unless you take it apart and put it in a case with a beeper. they got the publicity they wanted. Was the Zero in on it? :eek:

classhandicapper
09-17-2015, 07:17 PM
I am not a liberal... I am also not a bigot.

You are WAY WAY too smart to use the liberal tactic of calling people that disagree on these issues bigots.

This is a basic stats problem. I realize the left has outlawed all stats that paint a picture of reality that is different from their idealistic delusions, but if you are truly a conservative, you shouldn't drop to their level. The rest of us should be operating in the real world.

The fact of the matter is that the west has a problem with Muslim extremism and terrorism. So like it or not, we have to adjust our thinking and actions to those stats and that reality in order to minimize the chances of innocent people being killed. The intent was correct. Better safe than sorry. We just have to do a much better job of it than we did in this case.

Marshall Bennett
09-17-2015, 08:34 PM
He's content with being ignorant to what you just said.
Like beating on a brick wall trying to get through.

rastajenk
09-17-2015, 09:13 PM
Seems like the kid is getting the full celebrity treatment. Mission accomplished, I'd say. If this family is so smart, they had to have known something like this outcome was very possible, if not probable. The school's representatives, with their dogged devotion to zero tolerance of anything, were not so smart. Had they acted with any sense, the kid's 15 minutes of fame would never have happened.

elysiantraveller
09-17-2015, 09:53 PM
You are WAY WAY too smart to use the liberal tactic of calling people that disagree on these issues bigots.

This is a basic stats problem. I realize the left has outlawed all stats that paint a picture of reality that is different from their idealistic delusions, but if you are truly a conservative, you shouldn't drop to their level. The rest of us should be operating in the real world.

The fact of the matter is that the west has a problem with Muslim extremism and terrorism. So like it or not, we have to adjust our thinking and actions to those stats and that reality in order to minimize the chances of innocent people being killed. The intent was correct. Better safe than sorry. We just have to do a much better job of it than we did in this case.

No, no, and no.

The other statistical fact is that mass homicides at schools are usually carried out by privileged whites. That's completely irrelevant to the discussion.

What isn't is that the Bill Of Rights is universal in it's application. What we had here is a direct violation of a child's First and Fourth Amendment rights. I'm not arguing what Islamic extremism is or isn't guilty of the proof is fairly obvious. However, when we begin to deny subsets if people rights, universal ones at that, based on statistics we enter into one really slippery slope.

The universal application of our rights is what's supposed to make us different from the other peoples of world. Perhaps bigot is too strong of a word but it isn't far off the mark. It's people letting fear override the very ideals that are supposed to make us different and special.

Fager Fan
09-17-2015, 10:09 PM
No, no, and no.

The other statistical fact is that mass homicides at schools are usually carried out by privileged whites. That's completely irrelevant to the discussion.

What isn't is that the Bill Of Rights is universal in it's application. What we had here is a direct violation of a child's First and Fourth Amendment rights. I'm not arguing what Islamic extremism is or isn't guilty of the proof is fairly obvious. However, when we begin to deny subsets if people rights, universal ones at that, based on statistics we enter into one really slippery slope.

The universal application of our rights is what's supposed to make us different from the other peoples of world. Perhaps bigot is too strong of a word but it isn't far off the mark. It's people letting fear override the very ideals that are supposed to make us different and special.

I had 2 deer in my yard earlier. They ran off when they saw me even though I'd never cause them harm. Bigoted freaking deer.

zico20
09-17-2015, 10:11 PM
No, no, and no.

Since you brought up the 4th amendment, I am then assuming you want to get rid of airport security checks. Afterall, that is a violation of one's 4th amendment rights when you are pulled out of line and searched randomly. Or those full body scanners that they use. I guess it is better to search nobody and accept a few planes getting blown out of the sky every month than violate one's 4th amendment rights.

NorCalGreg
09-17-2015, 10:41 PM
Since you brought up the 4th amendment, I am then assuming you want to get rid of airport security checks. Afterall, that is a violation of one's 4th amendment rights when you are pulled out of line and searched randomly. Or those full body scanners that they use. I guess it is better to search nobody and accept a few planes getting blown out of the sky every month than violate one's 4th amendment rights.

Well said :ThmbUp: (wish we had an emoji for drinking a toast or hoisting a beer or something)

Tom
09-17-2015, 11:04 PM
That wasn't a clock, it was an Ass Clown catcher.
It worked - it caught Obama.

That is the real bigot in this thread.

elysiantraveller
09-17-2015, 11:47 PM

You are essentially making my point as there was conservative backlash against that. That whole fear over principles which I alluded to. Also flying isn't a right whereas access to education is, hardly equals and application of those rules are universal in flying. Here we have people justifying treatment of individuals differently simply based on religion thats wrong.

My point still stands in light of your poor comparison.

davew
09-17-2015, 11:52 PM

I am curious what would have happened with TSA if he tried to carry it onto a plane. oh it is just a clock..

FantasticDan
09-18-2015, 12:05 AM
I am curious what would have happened with TSA if he tried to carry it onto a plane. oh it is just a clock..See, the thing is he made it to show his science teacher. Trying to carry it on a plane or whatever other scenario you wanna create really has no relevance, since you're taking the entire story completely out of context.

Clocker
09-18-2015, 12:49 AM

When you purchase an airline ticket, you give implied consent to any and all security measures.

The courts have ruled that driving on public roads is a privilege, not a right. That's why states can impose rules, licensing, insurance requirement, etc. You are driving on their roads.

Similarly, flying on a private airline is a privilege, not a right. When you buy a ticket, you agree to the airline's rules and you consent to the rules of the airport operator.

hcap
09-18-2015, 04:17 AM

The fact of the matter is that the west has a problem with Muslim extremism and terrorism. So like it or not, we have to adjust our thinking and actions to those stats and that reality in order to minimize the chances of innocent people being killed. The intent was correct. Better safe than sorry. We just have to do a much better job of it than we did in this case.Did you say statistics? Well this liberal is way to smart to believe you and the rest of the Islamophobes on this site and their stats.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/157082/islamophobia-understanding-anti-muslim-sentiment-west.aspx

"Research shows that the U.S. identified more than 160 Muslim-American terrorist suspects and perpetrators in the decade since 9/11, just a percentage of the thousands of acts of violence that occur in the United States each year. It is from this overall collection of violence that "an efficient system of government prosecution and media coverage brings Muslim-American terrorism suspects to national attention, creating the impression - perhaps unintentionally - that Muslim-American terrorism is more prevalent than it really is."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/25/us/tally-of-attacks-in-us-challenges-perceptions-of-top-terror-threat.html

Homegrown Extremists Tied to Deadlier Toll Than Jihadists in U.S. Since 9/11

But the breakdown of extremist ideologies behind those attacks may come as a surprise. Since Sept. 11, 2001, nearly twice as many people have been killed by white supremacists, antigovernment fanatics and other non-Muslim extremists than by radical Muslims: 48 have been killed by extremists who are not Muslim, including the recent mass killing in Charleston, S.C., compared with 26 by self-proclaimed jihadists, according to a count by New America, a Washington research center.

The slaying of nine African-Americans in a Charleston church last week, with an avowed white supremacist charged with their murders, was a particularly savage case.

But it is only the latest in a string of lethal attacks by people espousing racial hatred, hostility to government and theories such as those of the “sovereign citizen” movement, which denies the legitimacy of most statutory law. The assaults have taken the lives of police officers, members of racial or religious minorities and random civilians.

rastajenk
09-18-2015, 06:44 AM
However, when we begin to deny subsets if people rights, universal ones at that, based on statistics we enter into one really slippery slope..
The subset to which this kid belongs is Student. They lost their rights a long time ago, if they ever even had any, and it's still happening on college campuses everywhere.

Even after determining there was nothing dangerous about the contraption, the adults felt like they still had to go through with the process; to not do so would have been to grant some kind of virtual exemption to the kid. That's how bureaucrats think and act.

I can tell by Facebook activity that this is another opportunity for Libs to paint Americans as some kind of -phobists, and unfortunately, the Cons are falling for it. But here's an irony: Libs are always for more government; this kind of thing is what you get with more government. This isn't about national security. It's professional grade Trolling, led as usual by the Troll-in-Chief.

davew
09-18-2015, 07:30 AM
See, the thing is he made it to show his science teacher. Trying to carry it on a plane or whatever other scenario you wanna create really has no relevance, since you're taking the entire story completely out of context.

what if he made a plastic gun to take to school to show his science teacher? I do not feel it is out of context, just an inappropriate item to take to school..

Tom
09-18-2015, 07:42 AM
See, the thing is he made it to show his science teacher. Trying to carry it on a plane or whatever other scenario you wanna create really has no relevance, since you're taking the entire story completely out of context.

Schools prohibit kids from bringing toy guns to class, even from making a "gun" with their thumb and finger and going bang bang.

Fager Fan
09-18-2015, 08:04 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/11/living/6-year-old-suspended-kissing-girl/

Schools go overboard about everything these days. A six year old suspended for sexual harassment?

Where are the liberals defending this kid? Where is his invitation to the whitehouse?

What phobia should we accuse people of for this one?

Clearly this kid deserves no outrage on his behalf because he's neither Muslim or gay.

Tom
09-18-2015, 09:09 AM
Where are the liberals defending this kid? Where is his invitation to the whitehouse?

TRUMP will invite him, after he wins! :lol:

Fager Fan
09-18-2015, 09:28 AM
TRUMP will invite him, after he wins! :lol:

Or Vice President Bill Clinton will invite. I can see him giving the kid a high five.

elysiantraveller
09-18-2015, 09:32 AM
The subset to which this kid belongs is Student. They lost their rights a long time ago, if they ever even had any, and it's still happening on college campuses everywhere.

Even after determining there was nothing dangerous about the contraption, the adults felt like they still had to go through with the process; to not do so would have been to grant some kind of virtual exemption to the kid. That's how bureaucrats think and act.

I can tell by Facebook activity that this is another opportunity for Libs to paint Americans as some kind of -phobists, and unfortunately, the Cons are falling for it. But here's an irony: Libs are always for more government; this kind of thing is what you get with more government. This isn't about national security. It's professional grade Trolling, led as usual by the Troll-in-Chief.

This has absolutely nothing to do with my post and someone's rights being infringed upon simply because of his religious beliefs.

You guys are grasping at straws here. First its "well the airlines" now "libs do it look at social media."

These are all attempts to justify to yourselves the right to interfere with the rights of others. Sorry, thats wrong and un-American.

elysiantraveller
09-18-2015, 09:35 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/11/living/6-year-old-suspended-kissing-girl/

Schools go overboard about everything these days. A six year old suspended for sexual harassment?

What phobia should we accuse people of for this one?

Clearly this kid deserves no outrage on his behalf because he's neither Muslim or gay.

More straws. That was a national story. That kid wasn't taken into police custody and questioned either.

The actions taken in this story are indefensible so deflecting becomes the name of the game.

woodtoo
09-18-2015, 10:32 AM
Islamic Victim # TickTock

Fager Fan
09-18-2015, 10:46 AM
More straws. That was a national story. That kid wasn't taken into police custody and questioned either.

The actions taken in this story are indefensible so deflecting becomes the name of the game.

Cry me a river. He was questioned at the school then taken off the property to wait for his parents to pick him up. If that's the worst that happens in his life, he's lucky.

Is this genius really that stupid that he doesn't know it could be mistaken for a bomb (or crude attempt at one)? If he wanted to show to a teacher, why hadn't he done it? Why instead was it discovered after hearing it ticking? Was this even some great achievement that was going to boggle the mind of a teacher? Did it include a potato?

Maybe it was innocent, but the overreaction by the left is what gets me. Obama says nothing about white cops being mowed down but is first in line to reach out to a Muslim.

FantasticDan
09-18-2015, 11:08 AM
Cry me a river. He was questioned at the school then taken off the property to wait for his parents to pick him up. If that's the worst that happens in his life, he's lucky.
He was searched and questioned at the school, and his property (including his tablet) confiscated. This is how the questioning went, no joke:

Cops: What is this?
Kid: It's a clock.
Cops: Ok. Is it anything else?
Kid: No.
Cops: So why did you make it?
Kid: I had some spare parts. It was a quick invention.
Cops: Yeah, but why make it?
Kid: It was fun. I wanted to show my teacher.
Cops: And you're sure it's just a clock?
Kid: Yes.
(pause)
Cops: You're under arrest.

He was then handcuffed, and brought to a detention center, where his mug shot was taken, and he was fingerprinted.

Aww, poor baby. :( Toughen up, kid! :ThmbUp:

Is this genius really that stupid that he doesn't know it could be mistaken for a bomb (or crude attempt at one)? If he wanted to show to a teacher, why hadn't he done it?
He had done it. He showed it to his engineering teacher, who complimented him on it. Then later, it beeped (it was not "ticking", the invention was essentially just the guts of a digital alarm clock wired to a fancier display) a couple times in his english class. That teacher got spooked and informed the principal, who then called the cops..

Fager Fan
09-18-2015, 11:30 AM
He had done it. He showed it to his engineering teacher, who complimented him on it. Then later, it beeped (it was not "ticking", the invention was essentially just the guts of a digital alarm clock wired to a fancier display) a couple times in his english class. That teacher got spooked and informed the principal, who then called the cops..

That's a change in the kid's story then:

Ahmed told reporters it was "very sad" that his teacher thought his clock was a threat.

"I built a clock to impress my teacher but when I showed it to her she thought it was a threat to her. I'm very sad that she got the wrong impression of it."

FantasticDan
09-18-2015, 11:43 AM
It's not a change in the story, he showed it to classmates and at least two teachers. A female english teacher is the one that notified school officials..

The police have conceded that they immediately determined that the clock wasn't anything dangerous, but they questioned the kid for hours and arrested him anyway because they decided (based on no such evidence or statements) that the clock was "intended to create a level of alarm", no pun intended.

Tom
09-18-2015, 12:06 PM
Then it was his actions and not his religion that was the reason.
And this rises to the level of a POTUS, who blatantly ignores cops being murdered, to stick his nose into.

If this is the worst the kid ever goes through, he is lucky.

The only story here is Obama once again playing the role of Bigot N Chief.

Marshall Bennett
09-18-2015, 12:15 PM
Had the kid handed the clock to Obama, would have been interesting to see his reaction. While Obama may be a horrible president, he's still very intelligent. So I'm sure he would have simply smiled ear to ear and shook the kids hand. Duhhhhh!!! :)

classhandicapper
09-18-2015, 12:22 PM
No, no, and no.

I understand your view, understand that many if not most people agree with you, understand why, but disagree with it.

The number of mass murdering privileged whites is so incredibly small relative to the total population of whites, it can be viewed as random and totally unpredictable event by an unstable individual (as I said). If however, there was an active sub group of whites with shaved heads and certain types of tattoos that liked to engage in terror (as there actually is)... it would be foolish of you to not exercise greater caution when dealing with one even if he happened to turn out to be the greatest guy in the world. In fact, if you didn't, I'd call you an idiot.

I like to tell a personal story about 9/11. One week after 9/11 I was flying to Vegas. Naturally, everyone was on edge, especially going to Vegas, because the terrorists had spent some time there. I am short, have a beard, and had darker than average skin at the time. I was stopped by security for some extra check out. There's is no doubt in my mind that I was pulled over because I was profiled. No doubt at all. I wanted to give the guy that did it a great big hug! I wanted him profiling my ass. Because if he profiled me, I knew he was profiling others and the chances of a terrorist being on board my plane were lower. I'm not willing to die for the minor inconvenience of getting checked out because I fit the profile and I think anyone that argues otherwise is a fool.

All that said, as I said, there is no doubt at all this kid was mishandled. That's a completely different thing than the issue I am raising,

IMO exercising greater caution when that kid showed up with a clock that could conceivably have been a bomb was IMO, the CORRECT cautionary response given our real world. Had it been a some little Jewish girl, there would have been a different level of risk. The percentage of Muslims that have extremist views and that might be prone to causing problems is greater than the general population and too large to dismiss. That's reality. And some minor inconvenience is not worth anyone dying for.

classhandicapper
09-18-2015, 12:26 PM
[B] Since Sept. 11, 2001, nearly twice as many people have been killed by white supremacists, antigovernment fanatics and other non-Muslim extremists than by radical Muslims: 48 have been killed by extremists who are not Muslim, including the recent mass killing in Charleston, S.C., compared with 26 by self-proclaimed jihadists, according to a count by New America, a Washington research center.

The slaying of nine African-Americans in a Charleston church last week, with an avowed white supremacist charged with their murders, was a particularly savage case.

But it is only the latest in a string of lethal attacks by people espousing racial hatred, hostility to government and theories such as those of the “sovereign citizen” movement, which denies the legitimacy of most statutory law. The assaults have taken the lives of police officers, members of racial or religious minorities and random civilians.

This is the BLATANT misuse of statistics of the type I'd expect from delusional liberals. And given your record here, I'm not going to even bother explaining why because it's that obvious.

Fager Fan
09-18-2015, 12:31 PM
Good post.

I posted earlier about the deer in my yard. These two may come to trust me but their instincts are that humans are dangerous even though non-hunters outnumber hunters. Humans too have instincts and it's an unwise person who doesn't listen to his instincts to a large degree. Liberals are so hellbent in trying to find a persecuted minority that they want us to toss out the window our instincts and common sense.

classhandicapper
09-18-2015, 12:50 PM
Good post.

I posted earlier about the deer in my yard. These two may come to trust me but their instincts are that humans are dangerous even though non-hunters outnumber hunters. Humans too have instincts and it's an unwise person who doesn't listen to his instincts to a large degree. Liberals are so hellbent in trying to find a persecuted minority that they want us to toss out the window our instincts and common sense.

It's idealism.

They find the idea that any group may be more or less likely to be anything (either good or bad) repulsive because they want everyone to be treated equally. That's a very worthy goal. That's my goal for the world. But I'm a stats guy. I'm not capable of acting irrationally based on the stats just because I WANT the world to be a certain way when it is not.

IMO, there's a balance.

You have to judge people as individuals!!! But in some cases you do not know them as individuals yet. In that case, IMO, it is foolish to not go by the actual stats if danger comes into the equation.

No one is advocating taking extreme measures like we did with the Japanese in WW2. That was insane.

But wouldn't it have at least made some sense to not open the borders to new Germans and Japanese while we were at at war with them?

Sure, maybe 90% of them of would have been trying to get here to flee the war, oppressive governments, or because they loved what America stood for, but what about Nazis that slipped in with them looking to do damage?

IMO you have to live in the real world. You can't screen them all adequately. So you have to be extra cautious and not potentially invite trouble.

Fager Fan
09-18-2015, 01:17 PM
Idealism is too positive of a word though for this. They have no qualms with tearing to shreds anyone who doesn't believe as they do. I don't agree with the woman who wouldn't hand out marriage licenses but she is being ripped a new one by those intolerant of her beliefs. I agree that she should quit her jo and find a new one compatible with her beliefs but the liberal thinks that's good for her but we have to allow the Muslim woman to wear her religious garb or take her prayers even though it's against company policy or productivity.

I don't hear a word about the massacre of Christians, etc.

Liberal philosophies and actions don't fit neatly under idealism.

elysiantraveller
09-18-2015, 01:25 PM
It's idealism.

They find the idea that any group may be more or less likely to be anything (either good or bad) repulsive because they want everyone to be treated equally. That's a very worthy goal. That's my goal for the world. But I'm a stats guy. I'm not capable of acting irrationally based on the stats just because I WANT the world to be a certain way when it is not.

IMO, there's a balance.

You have to judge people as individuals!!! But in some cases you do not know them as individuals yet. In that case, IMO, it is foolish to not go by the actual stats if danger comes into the equation.

No one is advocating taking extreme measures like we did with the Japanese in WW2. That was insane.

But wouldn't it have at least made some sense to not open the borders to new Germans and Japanese while we were at at war with them?

Sure, maybe 90% of them of would have been trying to get here to flee the war, oppressive governments, or because they loved what America stood for, but what about Nazis that slipped in with them looking to do damage?

IMO you have to live in the real world. You can't screen them all adequately. So you have to be extra cautious and not potentially invite trouble.

You are arguing that it's okay to set certain standards for people based on their religion, ethnicity, nationality, what have you. That is FUNDAMENTALLY un-American.

The ideal is something we should strive for not make excuses towards when we fail miserably at it.

I know better than most that its unrealistic but it is there and it's supposed to be our goal as a people.

Inner Dirt
09-18-2015, 01:29 PM
Idealism is too positive of a word though for this. They have no qualms with tearing to shreds anyone who doesn't believe as they do. I don't agree with the woman who wouldn't hand out marriage licenses but she is being ripped a new one by those intolerant of her beliefs. I agree that she should quit her jo and find a new one compatible with her beliefs but the liberal thinks that's good for her but we have to allow the Muslim woman to wear her religious garb or take her prayers even though it's against company policy or productivity.

I don't hear a word about the massacre of Christians, etc.

Liberal philosophies and actions don't fit neatly under idealism.

Better yet the same liberals that want the clerk who wouldn't hand out gay marriage licenses burned at the stake stand up for a Muslim flight attendant
refusing to serve alcohol.

woodtoo
09-18-2015, 01:39 PM
Better yet the same liberals that want the clerk who wouldn't hand out gay marriage licenses burned at the stake stand up for a Muslim flight attendant
refusing to serve alcohol.
Great analogy :ThmbUp:

classhandicapper
09-18-2015, 01:47 PM
You are arguing that it's okay to set certain standards for people based on their religion, ethnicity, nationality, what have you. That is FUNDAMENTALLY un-American.

The ideal is something we should strive for not make excuses towards when we fail miserably at it.

I know better than most that its unrealistic but it is there and it's supposed to be our goal as a people.

I am saying that until you can judge someone as an individual, you have no way of knowing whether they are good or bad. However, in some instances you can reduce your chances of something bad happening if you know they belong to group "X".

Is every smoker going to get cancer?

Is every non smoker going to avoid it?

No and No.

Would you rather insure everyone against cancer or would you rather cherry pick the non smokers? (not arguing for insurance reform along these lines here. lol)

I am arguing that there are times when the downside of sticking to our American "ideals" is too great relative to the minor inconvenience of doing a statistically sensible thing that I think we have to use our heads and go with the stats. If someone goes well beyond reasonable, we have to call them out.

In this case they went way beyond reasonable. I said that. But IMO the initial reaction of caution was justified.

I'd feel exactly the same way if I belonged to whatever group was being singled out. I mean, if I was a moderate Muslim that came to the US to avoid the extremism in my home country and to make a better life for my family (as many do) I'd feel safer if the government wasn't allowing 100k refugees from Syria into the country when everyone knows that x% of them are extremists that will be up to no good. I might feel badly about that in some way but I might even feel more strongly about it than the average American because I already ran away from that extremism. There may be a time when that stat is no longer applicable, but until such time I'll think our president is an imbecile.

rastajenk
09-18-2015, 02:09 PM
This has absolutely nothing to do with my post and someone's rights being infringed upon simply because of his religious beliefs.
You're assuming this has to do with his religion or his ethnicity. I'm suggesting that it was the school's zero-tolerance policy that set this in motion, that a nerdy white kid may have been handled the same way, but of course without the sensationalism and celebrity.

hcap
09-18-2015, 02:13 PM
This is the BLATANT misuse of statistics of the type I'd expect from delusional liberals. And given your record here, I'm not going to even bother explaining why because it's that obvious.There is nothing wrong with the stats I linked to. You can not explain how those stats are wrong.

Particularly considering your record here :lol:

https://www.fbi.gov/news/testimony/the-terrorist-threat-confronting-the-united-states

The United States also faces significant challenges from domestic terrorists. In fact, between 1980 and 2000, the FBI recorded 335 incidents or suspected incidents of terrorism in this country. Of these, 247 were attributed to domestic terrorists, while 88 were determined to be international in nature.

And

https://www.rt.com/files/news/41/cc/20/00/062415_extremists_charged_by_year.jpg from this study

http://securitydata.newamerica.net/extremists/deadly-attacks.html

Almost twice as many right wing terrorists deaths as deaths by Jihadists since 9/11

Right Wing Attacks 48
Jihadists 26

Arresting a Muslim child, handcuffing and interrogating him, claiming :eek: :eek: Islamophobia as a valid reason for doing so is totally absurd.

thaskalos
09-18-2015, 02:21 PM
He was searched and questioned at the school, and his property (including his tablet) confiscated. This is how the questioning went, no joke:

Cops: What is this?
Kid: It's a clock.
Cops: Ok. Is it anything else?
Kid: No.
Cops: So why did you make it?
Kid: I had some spare parts. It was a quick invention.
Cops: Yeah, but why make it?
Kid: It was fun. I wanted to show my teacher.
Cops: And you're sure it's just a clock?
Kid: Yes.
(pause)
Cops: You're under arrest.

He was then handcuffed, and brought to a detention center, where his mug shot was taken, and he was fingerprinted.

Sounds like many of the cops that I meet. Quick-thinking guys...who have no trouble sizing up a situation. :ThmbUp:

thaskalos
09-18-2015, 02:25 PM
There is nothing wrong with the stats I linked to. You can not explain how those stats are wrong.

https://www.fbi.gov/news/testimony/the-terrorist-threat-confronting-the-united-states

The United States also faces significant challenges from domestic terrorists. In fact, between 1980 and 2000, the FBI recorded 335 incidents or suspected incidents of terrorism in this country. Of these, 247 were attributed to domestic terrorists, while 88 were determined to be international in nature.

And

https://www.rt.com/files/news/41/cc/20/00/062415_extremists_charged_by_year.jpg from this study

Almost twice as many right wing terrorists deaths as deaths by Jihadists since 9/11

Right Wing Attacks 48
Jihadists 26

Arresting a Muslim child, handcuffing and interrogating him, claiming :eek: :eek: Islamophobia as a valid reason for doing so is totally absurd.

Hey, Hcap...you are good with stats. Could you find out for us how much of the tax-payers' money goes out annually to pay for damages in lawsuits resulting from police "misbehavior"?

classhandicapper
09-18-2015, 02:28 PM
There is nothing wrong with the stats I linked to. You can not explain how those stats are wrong.

There are between 2-7 million Muslims in the United States.

There are over 320 million people in America.

So OBVIOUSLY there will be more violence and extremism coming from the larger group. You have to look at this on a per capita basis. How many extremists are there per million people?

I'll do the calculations for you.

If there were 315 million middle eastern Muslims in the US and between 2-7 million Christians and Jews here, IMO it is highly likely the Christians and Jews would be getting raped, tortured, killed, forced to convert etc.. There are very few countries in the world with that many Muslims without there also being a very large extremist population. So those kinds of atrocities occur regularly. Nothing of the sort occurs here even though like every other country we produce some small percentage of people with a screw loose. That's how you do stats.

I never argued handcuffing and arresting him was appropriate. I argued the exact opposite. I only argued more forcefully that the caution taken when shown the clock was understandable and appropriate.

Fager Fan
09-18-2015, 02:35 PM

And

Right Wing Attacks 48
Jihadists 26

Off the bat I question that list due to thei headings. Right wing attacks?

rastajenk
09-18-2015, 02:46 PM
The Austin plane attack was definitely not a right-wing event.

hcap
09-18-2015, 03:00 PM
Off the bat I question that list due to thei headings. Right wing attacks?The main point is that non jihadist, non Islamic groups and individuals are just as likely, if not more so to commit terrorism and to be equally concerned about as Muslim jihadists.
Islamophobia is rampant here.

Here is the breakdown by anti-government groups. Go there and each are described further.

From the study

Year...............Groups.............. deaths

2015 Charleston Church Shooting 9
2014 Tallahassee Police Ambush 1
2014 Las Vegas Police Ambush 3
2014 Kansas Jewish Center Shooting 3
2014 Blooming Grove Police Shooting 1
2012 Tri-State Killing Spree 4
2012 St. John's Parish Police Ambush 2
2012 Sikh Temple Shooting 6
2011 FEAR Militia 3
2010 Carlisle, PA Murder 1
2010 Austin, TX Plane Attack 1
2009 Pittsburgh Police Shootings 3
2009 Holocaust Museum Shooting 1
2009 George Tiller Assassination 1
2009 Ft. Walton, FL Shooting 2
2009 Flores Murders, Pima County, AZ 2
2009 Brockton, MA Murders 2
2008 Knoxville, TN Church Shooting 2
2004 Tulsa OK, Bank Robbery 1

From the original NYT article I linked to:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/25/us/tally-of-attacks-in-us-challenges-perceptions-of-top-terror-threat.html

“Law enforcement agencies around the country have told us the threat from Muslim extremists is not as great as the threat from right-wing extremists,” said Dr. Kurzman, whose study is to be published by the Triangle Center on Terrorism and Homeland Security and the Police Executive Research Forum.

John G. Horgan, who studies terrorism at the University of Massachusetts, Lowell, said the mismatch between public perceptions and actual cases had become steadily more obvious to scholars.

“There’s an acceptance now of the idea that the threat from jihadi terrorism in the United States has been overblown,” Dr. Horgan said. “And there’s a belief that the threat of right-wing, antigovernment violence has been underestimated.”

hcap
09-18-2015, 03:02 PM
The Austin plane attack was definitely not a right-wing event.
"In February 2010, Andrew Joseph Stack crashed a small aircraft into an Internal Revenue Service office building killing one person. Stack left an anti-government, anti-tax manifesto behind. Stack had a long history of anti-tax views. He died in the crash."

Inner Dirt
09-18-2015, 03:17 PM
The main point is that non jihadist, non Islamic groups and individuals are just as likely, if not more so to commit terrorism and to be equally concerned about as Muslim jihadists.
Islamophobia is rampant here.

No, branding people with negative labels is rampant here. Please remember the liberal media drives a lot of people's perception of things. Why
don't you pull up the statistics of suicide bombers, how many of those are done by Muslim extremists compared to other hate groups? Oops, is calling
Muslim extremists a hate group wrong in your eyes?

rastajenk
09-18-2015, 03:25 PM
I just read his manifesto and there is nothing "right-wing" about it.

I don't know exactly when libs changed from considering the government "The Man" who should be resisted to "The Man" with all the answers, but Stack's manifesto has much more of the former than the latter. It is simply lazy to consider him a right-winger just to fit into a narrative.

davew
09-18-2015, 03:29 PM
https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/oKYHyqXTGpVVTmEbowGXSg--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9MTU4NztxPTk1O3c9MjAwMA--/http://www.trunews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/bombclock.jpg

is this clock about 6" x 8" ?

Tom
09-18-2015, 04:01 PM
Is it a clock??

Rookies
09-18-2015, 04:36 PM
"STATE HIGHLIGHTS REPORT
Texas Earns a C-Minus on State Report Card, Ranks 39th in Nation"

Ah well, the Poe-lease were merely grads of their own School system. So, who could be surprised at their acumen in this sychamakation?

Movin' on. :rolleyes:

woodtoo
09-18-2015, 05:19 PM
Is it a clock??
Looks more like a bomb than a clock,then again that was the plan.

It's a fake/hoax. :D

woodtoo
09-18-2015, 05:49 PM
The kid, in his own words admitted it was premeditated.

"I closed it with a cable, so...because..I didn't want to lock it to make it seem like a threat so I just used simple cable...so it wont look that much suspicious."

He knew dammed well shit would hit the fan.
I watched a CAIR spokesman say yesterday that he talked to the boy the day before and what a great kid he was.
WHY, would he be talking to him the day BEFORE.

Tom
09-18-2015, 07:16 PM
"They arrested me and they told me that I committed the crime of a hoax bomb, a fake bomb," the freshman later explained to WFAA after authorities released him.

So the charges seem to be legitimate. Perhaps it was the OP who rushed to judgement on this?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/16/us/texas-student-ahmed-muslim-clock-bomb/

My personal opinion - it was damn stupid clock to begin with - he gets an F

Tom
09-18-2015, 07:18 PM
"STATE HIGHLIGHTS REPORT
Texas Earns a C-Minus on State Report Card, Ranks 39th in Nation"

Ah well, the Poe-lease were merely grads of their own School system. So, who could be surprised at their acumen in this sychamakation?

Movin' on. :rolleyes:

39th in this nation is better than #1 in any other.

rastajenk
09-18-2015, 09:35 PM
Here's an article (http://blogs.artvoice.com/techvoice/2015/09/17/reverse-engineering-ahmed-mohameds-clock-and-ourselves/) about how this contraption is really just an existing clock made by Radio Shack fit into a different container. Not really all that inventive, except as a way to meet cool people and get on cable TV news shows.

davew
09-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Here's an article (http://blogs.artvoice.com/techvoice/2015/09/17/reverse-engineering-ahmed-mohameds-clock-and-ourselves/) about how this contraption is really just an existing clock made by Radio Shack fit into a different container. Not really all that inventive, except as a way to meet cool people and get on cable TV news shows.

make a clock, or just dismantle another clock - wth get a free trip to visit the muslim loving POS in the WH or is it POTUS?

Tom
09-18-2015, 10:42 PM
I think it's POSUS.

NorCalGreg
09-19-2015, 01:46 AM

Someone posted a big-a** pic. Anyway thanks for posting that story rasta.....glad to read a real expert's take on that, instead of the Huffpo/Salon/Gawker "we're not even a real publication" version.

Don't the knuckleheads of this forum ever get tired of being completely wrong? You would think they would at least have the decency to apologize, or just admit maybe they might have jumped the gun a little here? Like right from the start? Come on, you had a good run, guys. Time to man up. Not holding my breath, though.

FantasticDan
09-19-2015, 09:56 AM
Don't the knuckleheads of this forum ever get tired of being completely wrong? You would think they would at least have the decency to apologize, or just admit maybe they might have jumped the gun a little here? Like right from the start? Come on, you had a good run, guys. Time to man up. Not holding my breath, though.
What are you talking about? :confused: :bang:

classhandicapper
09-19-2015, 11:46 AM
Hcap.

"The main point is that non jihadist, non Islamic groups and individuals are just as likely, if not more so to commit terrorism and to be equally concerned about as Muslim jihadists. Islamophobia is rampant here"

You are making the same statistical error that the Times made. It is NOT correct to count the number of incidents that occurs from one group vs. another group and draw conclusions.

Again, the population of of the US is over 320 million. So we are going to produce some crazy left and right wing extremists that will engage in violence and terrorism. It's unavoidable.

Since there are only 2-7 million Muslims in the US, the absolute number of extremist acts from them will be lower than from other groups, but that tells you nothing about the probability of finding extremists among people that immigrate from various countries. We are in conflict with countries like Syria, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan etc...

Send me a million Swiss and the rate of extremists in the group will be no larger than in the US already. It may even be lower. We might get a couple crazies because everyone produces some, but nothing to worry about.

Send me 100K Syrians and we can be almost certain we will be getting a higher percentage of extremists and people specifically trying to move west to attack our interests because such a high percentage of people from that area of the world have extremist religious views, hate America, and consider terrorism a legitimate political tool.

This is just the reality.

If you can't understand basic stats, you shouldn't be making any posts using them.

NorCalGreg
09-19-2015, 01:08 PM
What are you talking about? :confused: :bang:

Dan, I didn't even consider you one of the true "knuckleheads". Remember one of the great quotes of the 20th century, by G. Steinbrenner, talking about two liars "One's a born liar...the other's convicted". I didn't even SUSPECT you of Kuckleheadism--until now. Your phony bewilderment at what I'm even talking about, shows you are a complete BORN-AGAIN KNUCKLEHEAD, son. You know exactly what I'm talking about.

thaskalos
09-19-2015, 01:54 PM
Dan, I didn't even consider you one of the true "knuckleheads". Remember one of the great quotes of the 20th century, by G. Steinbrenner, talking about two liars "One's a born liar...the other's convicted". I didn't even SUSPECT you of Kuckleheadism--until now. Your phony bewilderment at what I'm even talking about, shows you are a complete BORN-AGAIN KNUCKLEHEAD, son. You know exactly what I'm talking about.

You are a "knucklehead" too, Greg. This quote belongs to BILLY MARTIN...who was referring to Reggie Jackson and George Steinbrenner.

zico20
09-19-2015, 02:58 PM
Hcap.

"The main point is that non jihadist, non Islamic groups and individuals are just as likely, if not more so to commit terrorism and to be equally concerned about as Muslim jihadists. Islamophobia is rampant here"

You are making the same statistical error that the Times made. It is NOT correct to count the number of incidents that occurs from one group vs. another group and draw conclusions.

Again, the population of of the US is over 320 million. So we are going to produce some crazy left and right wing extremists that will engage in violence and terrorism. It's unavoidable.

Since there are only 2-7 million Muslims in the US, the absolute number of extremist acts from them will be lower than from other groups, but that tells you nothing about the probability of finding extremists among people that immigrate from various countries. We are in conflict with countries like Syria, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan etc...

Send me a million Swiss and the rate of extremists in the group will be no larger than in the US already. It may even be lower. We might get a couple crazies because everyone produces some, but nothing to worry about.

Send me 100K Syrians and we can be almost certain we will be getting a higher percentage of extremists and people specifically trying to move west to attack our interests because such a high percentage of people from that area of the world have extremist religious views, hate America, and consider terrorism a legitimate political tool.

This is just the reality.

If you can't understand basic stats, you shouldn't be making any posts using them.

What he is basically saying is that white Christians are more barbaric than Muslims. That is absurd. If that is the case, then why are all these Muslims fleeing a Muslim dominated region. :rolleyes:

FantasticDan
09-19-2015, 06:00 PM
Dan, I didn't even consider you one of the true "knuckleheads". Remember one of the great quotes of the 20th century, by G. Steinbrenner, talking about two liars "One's a born liar...the other's convicted". I didn't even SUSPECT you of Kuckleheadism--until now. Your phony bewilderment at what I'm even talking about, shows you are a complete BORN-AGAIN KNUCKLEHEAD, son. You know exactly what I'm talking about. :confused: Honestly, I think your helmet's too tight.. :blush: :p

Marshall Bennett
09-19-2015, 07:28 PM
Continuously pressing buttons on an elevator stuck on the ground floor. :cool:

Fager Fan
09-19-2015, 09:09 PM
Wow, Maher on the correct side of an issue?

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/254298-bill-maher-defends-arrest-of-ahmed-mohamed

hcap
09-20-2015, 06:29 AM
There are between 2-7 million Muslims in the United States.

There are over 320 million people in America.

So OBVIOUSLY there will be more violence and extremism coming from the larger group. You have to look at this on a per capita basis. How many extremists are there per million people?

I'll do the calculations for you.

If there were 315 million middle eastern Muslims in the US and between 2-7 million Christians and Jews here, IMO it is highly likely the Christians and Jews would be getting raped, tortured, killed, forced to convert etc.. There are very few countries in the world with that many Muslims without there also being a very large extremist population. So those kinds of atrocities occur regularly. Nothing of the sort occurs here even though like every other country we produce some small percentage of people with a screw loose. That's how you do stats.

I never argued handcuffing and arresting him was appropriate. I argued the exact opposite. I only argued more forcefully that the caution taken when shown the clock was understandable and appropriate.Just for the record. I will do the proper calculations for you. There are 12 million mixed religious denominations and ethnically varied Muslims and 247 million whites of mixed religious and ethnic origins in the US.

So your math is too simplistic.

All you have done is duck what the recent record have shown about threats by non-Muslim anti-government extremists by using horse racing style "impact values" in a flawed forecasting style. Impact values are not very effective in horse racing and both sample size percentages for both groups here in question are too minuscule to be used as an effective predictive device, particularly when all the factors and subsets defining each group is added into the mix.

Including specifically what you left out of your very, very wrong simplistic analysis. WHAT NUMBER OF MUSLIM CHILDREN IN THE US ARE KILLERS!! and bomb wielding terrorists.?? :lol: :lol:

A more correct analysis without your silly assumptions and calculations is simply what have they to us done lately?

http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/dr20150629-antigovernment-extremism-most-prevalent-terrorist-threat-inside-u-s-law-enforcement

Anti-government extremism most prevalent terrorist threat inside U.S.: Law enforcement
Published 29 June 2015

U.S. law enforcement agencies rank the threat of violence from anti-government extremists higher than the threat from radicalized Muslims, according to a report released last Thursday by the Triangle Center on Terrorism and Homeland Security (TCTHS). The data were collected in early 2014, before security agencies began noting increased activity and recruitment of Americans by the self-proclaimed Islamic State (ISIS). In follow-up telephone interviews with law enforcement personnel, the officers did not modify their initial responses in light of ISIS threats within the United States.

Based on

http://sanford.duke.edu/articles/law-enforcement-ranks-anti-government-extremism-most-prevalent-terrorist-threat

Law Enforcement Ranks Anti-Government Extremism as Most Prevalent Terrorist Threat -

hcap
09-20-2015, 08:04 AM
The report is the first issued from a larger project that also covers community-outreach programs by law enforcement agencies as a technique for countering terrorism.

http://sites.duke.edu/tcths/files/2013/06/Kurzman_Schanzer_Law_Enforcement_Assessment_of_the _Violent_Extremist_Threat_final.pdf

Law Enforcement
Assessment of the
Violent Extremism
Threat

Charles Kurzman
and David Schanzer
June 25 2015

About the Authors
Charles Kurzman is a professor of sociology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. David Schanzer is director of the Triangle Center on Terrorism and Homeland security and Associate Professor of the Practice,
Sanford School of Public Policy, Duke University

Table 1. What are the main violent extremist threats that your agency faces? Please check up to three items below.
Percent

Anti-government violent extremism
Qaeda inspired violent extremism
Environmental violent extremism
Racist violent extremism
Anti-capitalist violent extremism
Other violent extremism

classhandicapper
09-20-2015, 10:56 AM
hcap.

You keep saying the same thing. But what you are saying is not proving the point you are trying to make.

Half the middle east is currently in some kind of tribal, religious, or territorial conflict. Within virtually all the countries in that region (including those not in conflict) is a subset of religious extremists that make up a huge percentage of the total population. A subset of those are willing to use violence and terrorism to advance political agendas. It happens DAILY!!!! That number is not insignificant. It's huge. The only thing that binds them is their hate of the United States and Israel. (we could discuss why they hate us but that's another thread)

Anyone that thinks it's a good idea to take in millions of people from that region (or 100K in our case) is putting ideals ahead of intelligence and opening themselves up to greater risk. It's undeniable unless you are a delusional leftist.

I will concede that the probability of Muslims already in the US committing terrorist acts is lower than it would be from the 100K Syrians our supreme dimwit would let in as they were chanting "death to America and allahu akbar". However, at least part of the reason for that is that we have law enforcement covering everyone that is suspicious based on their travel, comments via twitter and extremist blogs, phone and other communications, attendance at certain Mosques, and other associations. That has helped us thwart and reduce the attacks. Despite the billions we are spending on such activities, we still got a World Trade Center bombing, World Trade Center destruction, and marathon bombing, attacks on the military etc... despite so few Muslims actually being in the US now.

It's preposterous to even have this conversation.

There are loads of wonderful Muslims in the world. I live in perhaps the largest Muslim neighborhood in NY and never have a problem. Despite that, math is math. If I saw my Columbian neighbor with a clock, I'd know it was clock. If I saw some Mulsim kid with a clock, I'd react differently AND WOULD BE CORRECT TO DO SO. That may not be the world I want to live in, but it's the world I DO live in.

Handcuffs and the arrest were way out of line. The initial reaction was not. Not in an environment where there is a huge reaction from a water pistol or even food shaped like a gun.

classhandicapper
09-20-2015, 11:23 AM
"Just for the record. I will do the proper calculations for you. There are 12 million mixed religious denominations and ethnically varied Muslims and 247 million whites of mixed religious and ethnic origins in the US. "

There are loads of hybrids in the US. :lol: You don't just count whites. You count everyone that is Muslim vs. everyone that is not Muslim and then you take total terrorist attacks for each subset (Muslim vs. non Muslim) and get attacks per million (or whatever) to get the rate.

From Google.

"There were 318.9 million people in the US as of 2014."

So the total population almost certainly exceeds 320 million now.

Also from Google

"The size of the Muslim-American population has proved difficult to measure because the U.S. Census does not track religious affiliation. Estimates vary widely from 2 million to 7 million.

Muslims in America – A Statistical Portrait | Baghdad, Iraq ...
iraq.usembassy.gov/.../statistical.htm...Embassy of the United States, Baghdad"

ElKabong
09-20-2015, 12:21 PM
"In February 2010, Andrew Joseph Stack crashed a small aircraft into an Internal Revenue Service office building killing one person. Stack left an anti-government, anti-tax manifesto behind. Stack had a long history of anti-tax views. He died in the crash."

Stack was a Cali transplant, was FAR from right wing in his political lean.

Do you get all your info from leftwing websites? You don't seem to think things thru clearly. Lot of knee jerk reactions

ElKabong
09-20-2015, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=burnsy]It should, because it just makes people look stupid, especially Texas and posters.

Your penis envy for Texas has been duly noted on here, more than once. Take a deep breathe and think

ElKabong
09-20-2015, 12:45 PM
My fiancee is an educator, runs the Math dept for a Charter school in Dallas (inner city). According to her The fact the school and the cops didn't evacuate the bldg tells you they didn't think he had a bomb on campus. Either that, or procedures weren't adhered to. She's not impressed with Irving Mac's handling of this

just some chatter going on about this from people that live in that area...
-the kid is decisively "different" and creeped out a lot of kids (and maybe a teacher or two)
- the teacher and admin's prob over reacted, but sometimes better safe than sorry. MacArthur is a VERY diverse school, not all middle eastern cultures get along (India being on the front, a culture I'm around quite a bit)
-It's possible the kid just weirded people out....How it was handled wasn't the best, but (very possibly) not everyone is comfortable being around him for reasons that they feel worthy.

For you floor wetters that use an instance like this to wake you up from a boring life, ... Deal with it, people. He wasn't beaten. He wasn't placed behind bars. He wasn't pushed around..... There's a life to live, go find one.

Robert Goren
09-20-2015, 05:49 PM
Stack was a Cali transplant, was FAR from right wing in his political lean.

Do you get all your info from leftwing websites? You don't seem to think things thru clearly. Lot of knee jerk reactionsStack is kind of nuts Texas attracts from California with it tax policies. Not to worry however, even attracts all the nuts from California, California will still have the rest of the granola bar.

hcap
09-21-2015, 04:11 AM
hcap.

You keep saying the same thing. But what you are saying is not proving the point you are trying to make.

Half the middle east is currently in some kind of tribal, religious, or territorial conflict. Within virtually all the countries in that region (including those not in conflict) is a subset of religious extremists that make up a huge percentage of the total population. A subset of those are willing to use violence and terrorism to advance political agendas. It happens DAILY!!!! That number is not insignificant. It's huge. The only thing that binds them is their hate of the United States and Israel. (we could discuss why they hate us but that's another thread)
We are speaking of threats by US Muslim citizens, not threat related events in other parts of the world. We are speaking of threats by US Muslim citizens who live in middle class homes in peaceful middle class communities. We are speaking of a 14 year old Muslim student obviously pretty damned bright. Who had never been in any trouble before.
As we drill down to the specific subsets of the data here in the U.S., the gross stereotype of Islamic extremists in the mid east has less and less predictive value as to whether or not 14 year old Ahmed Mohamed was as real threat. The teachers and police over reacted mired in an overly sensitive fearful Islamophobic mindset, confusing the actual subsets this child fell under here in the US with that of those 9/11 bombers, which yes, left a wound in our psyches, but had NOTHING to do with this specific incident. Stereotyping was in play here Stereotyping is very sneaky. In fact you have attempted mathematical justifications.

Stereotype definition: A generalization, usually exaggerated or oversimplified and often offensive, that is used to describe or distinguish a group.

And your original argumentative math point was in fact impact values, and as I said not using the proper subsets of data and just tiny samples are useless in predicting who will attack us, no matter the apparent previous data set. And as I pointed out police, Homeland Security and many others officially charged with handling cuter-terrorism, consider homegrown non-Jihadists also a serious threat, at least as likely if not more a threat than American Muslims.

Islamophobes are also guilty of racial profiling. The U.S. Supreme Court has held that racial profiling violates the constitutional requirement that all persons be accorded equal protection of the law.The "Guidance Regarding the Use of Race By Federal Law Enforcement Agencies" that was issued by the U.S. Department of Justice in 2003 states: Racial profiling in law enforcement is not merely wrong, but also ineffective. Race-based assumptions in law enforcement perpetuate negative racial stereotypes that are harmful to our rich and diverse democracy, and materially impair our efforts to maintain a fair and just society.

Profiling terrorists by professionals is not that effective. Once again generalized datasets are too vague.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/racial-profiling-terrorism-statistics/

Face Value: Does Profiling Actually Help to Catch Terrorists?
A new study says the benefits don't add up
By John Matson | February 2, 2009

"According to new research, it is no more effective to profile strongly—that is, subject individuals to increased scrutiny in proportion to their presumed likelihood of malfeasance—than it is to randomly flag individuals in the general population when it comes to rooting out terrorism."
Having said that, I will admit that there are some police profiling computer algorithms that police in Chicago claim are more effective. But my point is is if professionals using race and ethnicity in only broad datasets do not do that well, how well do ordinary people do when just saying
"Damn Muslims!!!!"

Speaking of subsets. Any police official with 1/2 a brain would have sent Ahmed home after a few minutes of this subset.

/3mW4w0Y1OXE

Actor
09-21-2015, 08:42 AM
For what it's worth.
"They didn't think he had a bomb."

by BSSanders

I said: it's sad they thought that kid had a bomb.
She said: they didn't think he had a bomb.
I said: yes, they thought he made a bomb and even called the police.
She said: They just wanted to humiliate a little Muslim boy. They didn't think he had a bomb.
I said: Don't be a conspiracy theorist. They might be a little prejudiced, but I'm sure they thought he had a bomb.
She said: OK.
But they didn't evacuate the school, like you do when there's a bomb.
They didn't call a bomb squad - like you do when there's a bomb.
They didn't get as far away from him as possible, like you do when there's a bomb.
Then they put him and the clock in an office: not like you do when there's a bomb
Then they waited with him for the police to arrive, and then they put the clock in the same car as the police.
Then they took pictures of it.

I said: Damn.....They never thought he had a bomb.

EQUAL RIGHTS are HUMAN RIGHTS
The Irving PD, & the School Admin will be rightfully sued.
They can now pay Ahmed's way to MIT.
Thanks.
"They never thought he had a bomb"

upthecreek
09-21-2015, 08:53 AM
Evolutionary biologist says boy’s arrest was wrong, but questions whether he really invented an alarm clock

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/09/20/richard-dawkins-texas-clock-boy-ahmed-fraud_n_8165644.html

ElKabong
09-21-2015, 11:32 AM
Evolutionary biologist says boy’s arrest was wrong, but questions whether he really invented an alarm clock

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/09/20/richard-dawkins-texas-clock-boy-ahmed-fraud_n_8165644.html

That's some funny shit there, in huffPo...They can't even correctly spell the name of the city the kid goes to school.

Reading Libs posts this thread (and others like it) is like watching the opening scene in Let It Ride.

Robert Fischer
09-21-2015, 11:44 AM

And he gets attacked for that opinion.

I don't care if Dawkins is right or wrong. The part that I am commenting now is how 'social proof' is abused in the media.

It's human nature to think that a popular thing is a good thing. Social Proof is one of those natural things that affects human thinking that happens to be irrational and illogical. There are some talented people who get paid good money to think of how to use such things in fields like advertisement and media.

classhandicapper
09-21-2015, 11:54 AM
We are speaking of threats by US Muslim citizens, not threat related events in other parts of the world. We are speaking of threats by US Muslim citizens who live in middle class homes in peaceful middle class communities. We are speaking of a 14 year old Muslim student obviously pretty damned bright. Who had never been in any trouble before.
As we drill down to the specific subsets of the data here in the U.S., the gross stereotype of Islamic extremists in the mid east has less and less predictive value as to whether or not 14 year old Ahmed Mohamed was as real threat. The teachers and police over reacted mired in an overly sensitive fearful Islamophobic mindset, confusing the actual subsets this child fell under here in the US with that of those 9/11 bombers, which yes, left a wound in our psyches, but had NOTHING to do with this specific incident. Stereotyping was in play here Stereotyping is very sneaky. In fact you have attempted mathematical justifications.

School officials react to non Muslims when they show up with water pistols, make drawings of guns, shape things into guns, point their finger like a gun etc.. Kids get investigated, suspended, thrown out of school, etc... School officials are very sensitive to guns these days because of all the shootings. They do so out of caution despite how rare such events are in the US given that there are 315 million non Muslims in the US.

They will also react to a kid that brings in a clock that looks an awful lot like a bomb no matter what his ethnic background, but especially if he's Muslim because RELATIVE to the SMALL number of Muslims in the US, there have been quite a few horrific terrorist attacks and other smaller ones in the US. Plus everyone knows we are at war with a subset of Muslims that has membership on our shores that USES KIDS AND WOMEN in their terror attacks elsewhere.

The only error was the arrest.

I can't argue with someone that is more interested in promoting his idealistic vision of the world than understanding reality, how to do stats, and how to protect people properly.

I won't argue about the Supreme Court either because IMO it's occupied by 4-5 total nitwits who I have about as much respect for as our lame brain president.

classhandicapper
09-21-2015, 12:22 PM
And your original argumentative math point was in fact impact values, and as I said not using the proper subsets of data and just tiny samples are useless in predicting who will attack us, no matter the apparent previous data set. And as I pointed out police, Homeland Security and many others officially charged with handling cuter-terrorism, consider homegrown non-Jihadists also a serious threat, at least as likely if not more a threat than American Muslims.

You argue that looking at broad stats on US Muslims and applying it to this case is not appropriate (which I have agreed with) but it is when YOU are trying to make the case that we have more to fear from non Muslim terrorism.

We have more to fear from home grown terrorists because there are 315 million more non Muslims than Muslims in the US. It's not because the non Muslims are riskier. It's the other way around. I know you know that but your idealistic vision will not allow your brain to both accept and say it.

Tom
09-21-2015, 12:49 PM
Do an impact study on muslim terroist vs home grown.

hcap
09-21-2015, 01:10 PM
The only error was the arrest.

I can't argue with someone that is more interested in promoting his idealistic vision of the world than understanding reality and how to do stats.

You can not argue coherently because you are still insisting and continuing to stereotype "but especially if he's Muslim because RELATIVE to the SMALL number of Muslims in the US, there have been quite a few horrific terrorist attacks and other smaller ones in the US.". How many Muslim middle class teenage students have been involved in "horrific terrorist attacks"? Whereas compare that zero number with all the non jihadist white students who attacked and shot and killed other students. Just starting recently with Columbine, there are dozens and dozens.

Being Muslim has very little predictive value in this incident. It is Islamophobic stereotyping.

You sound like a ridiculous ideologue who has a peculiar version of reality, and a warped understanding of liberals. And one who does not understand the math behind your misconceptions. Hint: compare apples to apples, not grapes to grapefruits.

The proper comparison is teenage US Muslim students with non Muslim non-jihad white teenage US students. Not with mid east suicide bombers.

Re: Columbine et al.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

List of school shootings in the United States

This is a chronological list of school shootings in the United States. It consists of incidents in which a firearm was discharged at a school infrastructure, including incidents of shootings on a school bus. This list contains shooting incidents that occurred on the campuses of K-12 public schools and private schools, as well as colleges and universities. This list also contains incidents in which a person intentionally shot him or herself in a suicide or suicide attempt. The incidents below are classified as "school shootings".

ArlJim78
09-21-2015, 01:29 PM
kHk_6Vh4Qeo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2&v=kHk_6Vh4Qeo

woodtoo
09-21-2015, 01:42 PM
kHk_6Vh4Qeo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2&v=kHk_6Vh4Qeo

HAHAHA that's the only stat or graph we need, dumb little clockmaker.
Face the FACTS it was a fake/ hoax from the get go.
He deserved to be arrested and charged for the hoax. He gets not one drop of sympathy from me, not ONE drop. If his father set him up for this (highly likely) he also should be charged.
They got exactly what they were looking for and more. Sickening display. :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

woodtoo
09-21-2015, 02:08 PM
You can not argue coherently because you are still insisting and continuing to stereotype How many Muslim middle class teenage students have been involved in "horrific terrorist attacks"? Whereas compare that zero number with all the non jihadist white students who attacked and shot and killed other students. Just starting recently with Columbine, there are dozens and dozens.

Being Muslim has very little predictive value in this incident. It is Islamophobic stereotyping.

You sound like a ridiculous ideologue who has a peculiar version of reality, and a warped understanding of liberals. And one who does not understand the math behind your misconceptions. Hint: compare apples to apples, not grapes to grapefruits.

The proper comparison is teenage US Muslim students with non Muslim non-jihad white teenage US students. Not with mid east suicide bombers.

There was no shooting or bombing in this story, your so Off Topic :p

classhandicapper
09-21-2015, 03:06 PM
You can not argue coherently because you are still insisting and continuing to stereotype How many Muslim middle class teenage students have been involved in "horrific terrorist attacks"? Whereas compare that zero number with all the non jihadist white students who attacked and shot and killed other students. Just starting recently with Columbine, there are dozens and dozens.

Have you even seen the clock?

If my mother made it I would have thought it looked like a bomb!

The reaction was correct and the arrest was wrong.

The rest of this is a separate debate. The only reason we are having the rest of this disagreement is that you keep saying we have more to fear from right wing terrorists and I called BS on your stats. They are misleading at best and a blatant attempt at misinformation at worst.

You refuse to accept the fact that pool of non Muslims in the US is so massively larger than the pool of Muslims that means you will get more incidents of almost everything among non Muslims.

There are probably more Christians that see a Koran every day in the US simply because there are so many of them.

There are probably more Christians that bow to the east and pray every day.

That doesn't tell you who is more likely to do so.

What you are doing now is data mining to the point of creating a sample size that is so small, we don't know what the probabilities are yet.

There are lots of factors that contribute to someone being a terrorist. His/her age, sex, economic status, education, background, mental health, religious fervor, drug use etc...

But there are many cases of teenage terrorists and the use of teenagers in terrorism around the world. So it is not a factor you can use to exclude someone even if it reduces the probability.

For example, the younger marathon bomber was only 19 when he did his dirty deed. If you would have excluded 19 year olds because we hadn't had one that young before you would have been a fool and WRONG. If you exclude women now because we haven't had one yet you are really a fool.

PaceAdvantage
09-21-2015, 04:56 PM
Any person visiting the President goes through the proper screening, as does any "object".

So your "question" is moot. :ThmbUp:Actually, it's not. Obama invited him to the White House. Perhaps my post was a little ambiguous.

I'm specifically asking about if this kid takes Obama up on his offer. Will his "clock box" (if he brings it) be inspected by the Secret Service? It's probably a 100% safe bet that it will be.

Does that make Obama a hypocrite? I don't know...you tell me...

Tom
09-21-2015, 09:54 PM
The reaction was correct and the arrest was wrong.

Nope. Good arrest, for the hoax.
You mention a bomb at airport security, yo get busted.
The kid perpetrated a hoax that cost money he got what he deserved.
So why are the libs not upset that HE played the muslim sterotype?
did this little punk not dis-respect all muslims by doing this, and even mohamed himself?

Isn't this the equivalent of going out in Black-face?
How is it a war-mongering rightie like me can see this and the so-called enlightened ones cannot?
:lol:

davew
09-21-2015, 11:33 PM
So why are the libs not upset that HE played the muslim sterotype?
did this little punk not dis-respect all muslims by doing this, and even mohamed himself?

Isn't this the equivalent of going out in Black-face?
How is it a war-mongering rightie like me can see this and the so-called enlightened ones cannot?

black/brown lies mattter

FantasticDan
09-21-2015, 11:59 PM
Despite this story being almost a week old and his involvement in this thread, I don't think Tom has bothered to learn the basic details of the story. :rolleyes:

The kid never claimed his clock was anything other than a clock. An English teacher thought it looked like a "movie bomb", and the wheels of stupid were put in motion. The kid then told the cops repeatedly it was only a clock, and they arrested him and violated his rights anyway despite quickly determining he was telling the truth.

Once a light was shown on their BS, they couldn't drop the charges and close the case fast enough.

NorCalGreg
09-22-2015, 12:54 AM
Despite this story being almost a week old and his involvement in this thread, I don't think Tom has bothered to learn the basic details of the story. :rolleyes:

The kid never claimed his clock was anything other than a clock. An English teacher thought it looked like a "movie bomb", and the wheels of stupid were put in motion. The kid then told the cops repeatedly it was only a clock, and they arrested him and violated his rights anyway despite quickly determining he was telling the truth.

Once a light was shown on their BS, they couldn't drop the charges and close the case fast enough.

Seems your ---I'll be polite and call them your "like-minded friends" have deserted you. Even Ahmed and the King of Sudan have fled to Mecca---give it a rest.
Godwin's Rule be Damned--make a Nazi reference and declare Dan the winner. At this point, who gives a sh*t.

hcap
09-22-2015, 05:38 AM
http://www.alternet.org/files/9-20-mcfadden-vertical.png

Tom
09-22-2015, 07:30 AM

I read a story that explicitly said he was arrested for doing the hoax.

elysiantraveller
09-22-2015, 07:54 AM
Seems your ---I'll be polite and call them your "like-minded friends" have deserted you. Even Ahmed and the King of Sudan have fled to Mecca---give it a rest.
Godwin's Rule be Damned--make a Nazi reference and declare Dan the winner. At this point, who gives a sh*t.

There is no point arguing with stupid.

NorCalGreg
09-23-2015, 12:38 AM
There is no point arguing with stupid.

Cappy's posted cartoon has a bit of irony there. The brilliant innocent students are all obviously MUSLIM, while the blatantly racist, totally inept teachers are obviously caucasian, or WHITE. HAHA that is really funny. See you completely missed the IRONIC part:

ALL THIS VERY HUMOROUS CARTOONIST HAD TO DO...WAS TO SIMPLY DRAW A PICTURE OF THE "ALLEGED" PROPHET MOHAMMED, EVEN A TINY LITTLE PIC IN A CORNER, ...AND MILLIONS OF MUSLIMS WOULD BE CALLING FOR--AND DRAWING-UP PLANS--FOR HIS IMMEDIATE BEHEADING

*Now what part of that don't you f***ing morons get?????????????????????

Go "Stand with Ahmed" , please. He's not even in-country so I hear.

ElKabong
09-23-2015, 01:54 PM
(a) the cartoon posted by (who else) hcap, is totally off base. No teacher at any time panicked.

(b) It was learned that a teacher asked him what it (clock) was, then asked him politely to "put it away". Not sure of that meant a locker, which most schools have done away with now, or elsewhere. She asked him again, he still didn't do it. Then she saw him later in the hall, still had it & didn't like his reply.

(c) the kid and his siblings are no longer on Irving campuses. Maybe they left for private schools, funded by weeping Libs, or maybe Muslims, or they just booked out.....either way I get the sense the school is not unhappy the kid is gone. He creeped out a lot of kids on campus, maybe a teacher or two

Marshall Bennett
09-23-2015, 04:03 PM
And who only knows if this could have been a rehearsal or test to see what the response would be by the school. Had no steps been taken to insure safety, perhaps it would have been more than just a clock another time, perhaps even the same school.
Anyone that thinks the school (not the police) overreacted might think differently if their kid was enrolled there.

classhandicapper
09-23-2015, 07:29 PM
No one that is even close to objective thinks the school overreacted.

If this was some white kid that made a clock that resembled a gun the very same people would be saying the school did the correct thing. As it is, kids are getting suspended and throw out of school for far less than that because of the sensitivity over guns.

They had to call the police to find out what it actually was and ensure what the motivations were. The police went too far.

Inner Dirt
09-24-2015, 01:12 PM
Seriously, I wonder what this country would be like if it was run by modern
liberals for the last two centuries. A lot of Southern California is a third world
cesspool. I lived there for 50 years I watched it go completely downhill. Once
beautiful areas are trashed with garbage and toxic waste dumped all over the
road side and vacant lots, gang graffiti all over the place, roads in poor repair that are too small and few to handle the congestion.

The state votes Democrat and has been run by Democrats for some time.
Also as Southern California becomes more of a dump taxes and fees keep
increasing, that doesn't make sense to me.

With this story the liberals seem to be so worried about offending a minority
group they would rather people didn't stay vigilant and just look the other way until something bad happens. Pretty sure many of you ripping on the
teachers for not knowing that wasn't a bomb wouldn't know the difference
from a .177 pellet pistol and a 9mm if one was pointed at you. I also would like to give that kid a lie detector test, good chance he did what he did
knowing what would happen and wanted his 15 minutes of fame.

PaceAdvantage
09-24-2015, 01:18 PM
If anyone at the school really thought this was a bomb, they would have evacuated the school and called in the bomb squad.

Since that did not happen, I question the entire circumstances of how this kid came to be arrested and all the hoopla that ensued next.

Someone care to explain? Especially those who though the teachers acted with prudence and caution? If they were cautious, why didn't they sound the alarm bells and let the authorities deal with this? And if they did, and the authorities immediately determined this was no bomb, why is this a story?

Was he specifically placed into custody because he brought what COULD HAVE BEEN CONSTRUED as a bomb to school? That's a valid reason, but is it THE reason?

NorCalGreg
09-24-2015, 01:32 PM
I see Run's head-up-a@@ "statement' was deleted. LOL that was a little offensive

Fager Fan
09-24-2015, 01:48 PM
If anyone at the school really thought this was a bomb, they would have evacuated the school and called in the bomb squad.

Since that did not happen, I question the entire circumstances of how this kid came to be arrested and all the hoopla that ensued next.

Someone care to explain? Especially those who though the teachers acted with prudence and caution? If they were cautious, why didn't they sound the alarm bells and let the authorities deal with this? And if they did, and the authorities immediately determined this was no bomb, why is this a story?

Was he specifically placed into custody because he brought what COULD HAVE BEEN CONSTRUED as a bomb to school? That's a valid reason, but is it THE reason?

The stories all say that he was suspected of creating a HOAX bomb which is also illegal. After questioning, they felt like they still weren't able to determine if that was his intent or not, so they took him off campus for his parents to come get him and turn it over to the Sheriff to decide. He decided to drop or not pursue it, though we don't know if that was the result of all the press.

davew
09-26-2015, 08:00 AM
the parents are suing to get the 'clock' back.

they probably do not want them to realize it is all store bought and nothing made or invented -> hoax

hcap
09-26-2015, 08:45 AM
the parents are suing to get the 'clock' back.

they probably do not want them to realize it is all store bought and nothing made or invented -> hoaxThey should sue for the unlawful detainment of their 14 year old child.

woodtoo
09-26-2015, 09:57 AM
They should sue for the unlawful detainment of their 14 year old child.
They should be sued for unlawful derailment of their 14 year old Clockmed.

Robert Goren
09-26-2015, 10:14 AM
It would take about 3 seconds to figure out that there were no explosives connect to the clock. They were dumber than a cashier of mine who called 911 when he found an umbrella up inside the garage. He thought the umbrella was a bomb too.

woodtoo
09-26-2015, 10:23 AM
It would take about 3 seconds to figure out that there were no explosives connect to the clock. They were dumber than a cashier of mine who called 911 when he found an umbrella up inside the garage. He thought the umbrella was a bomb too.
You just realized there were no explosives...oh boy.
When someone yells FIRE in a movie theater and there is no FIRE,
is that OK too?

Fager Fan
09-26-2015, 04:44 PM

We've already been through this. He was in trouble for possibly creating a HOAX bomb. Try getting that contraption throu security at the airport and see what happens. And when they detain you, you figure you've got a case to sue?

Tom
09-26-2015, 05:51 PM
Bobby =dog, story = bone.

No let go.

horses4courses
10-19-2015, 01:59 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/sy/nn/fp/rsz/101915/images/smush/ahmed_635x250_1445271043.jpg

woodtoo
10-19-2015, 02:23 PM
Typical taqiyya peace sign.

Tom
10-19-2015, 02:40 PM
Do you have a photo of him posing with a mass murderer in the Middle East?

https://grabien.com/story.php?id=39520

horses4courses
10-19-2015, 02:54 PM

https://grabien.com/story.php?id=39520

That's shopped - something I never resort to. :lol:

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2015, 02:59 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/boy-brought-clock-school-meets-sudan-president-article-1.2400518

Tom
10-19-2015, 03:26 PM
The controversial meeting took place on Wednesday at the presidential compound in country's capital of Khartoum, according to the (http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article56725)Sudan Tribune (http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article56725).

And tonight, he is at the White House.
This kid hangs out with some pretty unsavory characters.

http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article56725

Marshall Bennett
10-19-2015, 03:37 PM
But, but, he's just a boy!! :lol:

Famous last words. :)

PaceAdvantage
10-19-2015, 03:39 PM

https://grabien.com/story.php?id=39520Another liberal facepalm moment:

http://cdn.head-fi.org/b/b3/b3e98465_DoubleFacepalm.jpeg

woodtoo
10-19-2015, 03:46 PM
And tonight, he is at the White House.
This kid hangs out with some pretty unsavory characters.

http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article56725

Obama approved....nuff said.

Tom
10-19-2015, 03:57 PM

woodtoo
10-20-2015, 04:35 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/sy/nn/fp/rsz/101915/images/smush/ahmed_635x250_1445271043.jpg
The love in his eyes are for only you, his favorite virgin # 72.

davew
10-20-2015, 08:06 AM
That's shopped - something I never resort to. :lol:

How can you tell it is shopped? are the pixels off or do you recognize propaganda spreaders work?

How about this picture with his dad? shopped as well?

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/ipu1nCKGa11ojlut1rAo2Q--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9MjkyO3E9OTU7dz01NTA-/http://tundratabloids.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/clock-boy-does-sudan.png

clock boys older sister was suspended a few years earlier from same school because of 'bomb threat'
http://www.wnd.com/2015/09/clock-boys-sister-was-suspended-for-bomb-threat/

ElKabong
10-20-2015, 04:22 PM
He's moving to Qatar. What a shocker....

Made me ROTFLMAO,>
"“Looking at all the great offers we’ve had, it’s the best decision,” said Eyman, 18. “They even have Texas A&M at Qatar … It’s basically like America.”

Yeah they throw pick sixes like candy over there too, I suppose.

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2015/10/ahmed-mohamed-will-move-to-qatar.html/

woodtoo
10-20-2015, 04:35 PM
Good riddance Clockmed and don't forget to bring your "invention" onto the plane with you.

Marshall Bennett
10-20-2015, 07:13 PM
If the truth were known, his name has probably gone on the terror watch list. :cool:

davew
10-20-2015, 07:16 PM
If the truth were known, his name has probably gone on the terror watch list. :cool:

Do they let those people fly away from the country?

Marshall Bennett
10-20-2015, 09:48 PM
Do they let those people fly away from the country?
If it's a Muslim kid that's just visited with Obama at the white house, I'd say most definitely. :bang:

woodtoo
10-31-2015, 12:48 PM
Don't forget to set your science project back this week.

Inner Dirt
10-31-2015, 01:14 PM
The more information that comes out I am 100% sure the kid did it for a reaction. His sister was suspended from the same district years earlier, so he should know better. He also did not invent anything, he took the guts from a clock and put them in something else. Also during a conversation with Marc Cuban, Cuban said his sister was feeding him answers. Pretty pathetic our sorry president invites this teenage race baiter to the White House.

woodtoo
10-31-2015, 01:38 PM
Yes Indeed! Will be remembered as the most blatant fake hoax EVER.

Obama was in on it, I'm almost sure of it .

davew
10-31-2015, 02:10 PM
Yes Indeed! Will be remembered as the most blatant fake hoax EVER.

Obama was in on it, I'm almost sure of it .

I disagree, 0bama is just gullible when he wants to believe....

woodtoo
10-31-2015, 03:25 PM
I disagree, 0bama is just gullible when he wants to believe....
Naw....it was timed to perfectly even for the too gullible.

Rise Over Run
11-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Hopefully Clockmed remembered to turn his clock back 1 hour for Daylight Savings time.

Marshall Bennett
11-02-2015, 12:10 PM
The clock had probably lost the hour on it's on. Doubt precision was ever much of a factor. :)

Tom
11-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Clockmed