PDA

View Full Version : Another college shooting

Tom
09-14-2015, 01:08 PM
Mississippi?
Just heard a quick breaking news ad - one or two are dead, campus on lock down.

cj's dad
09-14-2015, 04:00 PM
He killed one in her home, notified police of that and then drove north to Delta State Univ where he worked and killed a professor.

Tom
09-14-2015, 04:09 PM
We need tighter car control laws.

Robert Fischer
09-14-2015, 05:47 PM
Why does this keep happening?
It's getting to the point where you are afraid to send your kids off to Mississippi.

horses4courses
09-14-2015, 07:39 PM
We need tighter car control laws.

Keep trolling, chimp

tucker6
09-14-2015, 08:15 PM
Keep trolling, chimp
On the contrary, he simply shined a light on the silliness of the gun control argument. Rather than deal with the truly difficult issues involving mental illness, drugs, and broken homes in these situations, our liberal comrades like yourself prefer to make political hay by attacking guns.

Which change would benefit society more as a whole in the long term? Gun control or better mental health protocols? Gun control simply moves guns to the black market, thus an illusory law. Bad people will always have guns. Stop chasing after the horse leaving the barn when he is in the next county already. Fixing what people are thinking in their attics would make all of society more productive and safer.

But let's control guns on law abiding citizens for political gain. Your position is sickening.

horses4courses
09-14-2015, 08:23 PM
On the contrary, he simply shined a light on the silliness of the gun control argument. Rather than deal with the truly difficult issues involving mental illness, drugs, and broken homes in these situations, our liberal comrades like yourself prefer to make political hay by attacking guns.

Which change would benefit society more as a whole in the long term? Gun control or better mental health protocols? Gun control simply moves guns to the black market, thus an illusory law. Bad people will always have guns. Stop chasing after the horse leaving the barn when he is in the next county already. Fixing what people are thinking in their attics would make all of society more productive and safer.

But let's control guns on law abiding citizens for political gain. Your position is sickening.

You have no clue what my position is.
You may think that you do.

Broader access to mental health records is a must.
Along with a close scrutiny of gun licensing.

I'm not out to take away guns from law abiding citizens.
Refusal to do anything about current conditions, though,
is a criminal act in itself.

tucker6
09-14-2015, 08:28 PM
You have no clue what my position is.
You may think that you do.

Broader access to mental health records is a must.
Along with a close scrutiny of gun licensing.

I'm not out to take away guns from law abiding citizens.
Refusal to do anything about current conditions, though,
is a criminal act in itself.
I think we all have a REALLY good idea what your position is on gun control. I don't consider you to be stupid, so I assume your position on the subject is political. I would estimate that 90%+ of gun crimes being committed in 2015 would still occur in a future gun controlled society. The bad guys will always have access. You disagree??

horses4courses
09-14-2015, 08:34 PM
I think we all have a REALLY good idea what your position is on gun control. I don't consider you to be stupid, so I assume your position on the subject is political. I would estimate that 90%+ of gun crimes being committed in 2015 would still occur in a future gun controlled society. The bad guys will always have access. You disagree??

Considering where we are today, you are correct.
Bad guys will never suffer from a lack of firearms in the US.

boxcar
09-14-2015, 09:10 PM
Considering where we are today, you are correct.

Or from a lack of firearms from virtually anywhere else in the world. The bad guys will always find ways to access guns no matter where the source. And since the police cannot protect all the good guys 24/7, it's totally irrational to severely restrict them from protecting themselves.

Tom
09-14-2015, 09:38 PM
It's getting to the point where you are afraid to send your kids off to Mississippi.

It has been going for decades - just today, it gets reported more often.
Nothing new here.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/07/gun-homicide-rate-down-49-since-1993-peak-public-unaware/

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

Looking at the larger topic of firearm deaths, there were 31,672 deaths from guns in the U.S. in 2010. Most (19,392) were suicides; the gun suicide rate has been higher than the gun homicide rate since at least 1981, and the gap is wider than it was in 1981.

Robert Fischer
09-14-2015, 10:34 PM
Yea.
And there are a lot of suicidal people. It's just part of life when you have so many people.

100-150 people decided to kill themselves today out of the 270Million or whatever in the US.

Sometimes the jackass decides to have one last temper-tantrum and shoots his ex-girlfriend and his college professor first...

Whenever these events happen, they drive revenue and they drive social likes/clicks/views etc... on social media, and the public tends to make it a gun thing and only a gun thing. For some reason, the issue of suicide is never addressed.

PaceAdvantage
09-16-2015, 01:31 AM
It's getting to the point where you are afraid to send your kids off to Mississippi.It's called "The Internet" or "The 24-hour news cycle"

People have been killing other people since Genesis (the book, not the group)

PaceAdvantage
09-16-2015, 01:32 AM
Keep trolling, chimpYou too.

LottaKash
09-16-2015, 01:59 AM

You keep emphasizing the US....As if the Bad guys all over the world don't suffer from a lack of firearms...Or don't you notice this ?

Man, in great numbers, has been bashing, and jabbing, and cutting each other, long before the discovery of Gunpowder... So why this big crusade about guns in the US ?..

Fager Fan
09-16-2015, 08:01 AM
It's called "The Internet" or "The 24-hour news cycle"

People have been killing other people since Genesis (the book, not the group)

Mass shootings of innocents is pretty new though. I'm a gun rights person yet I wish we could do something to keep guns out of the hands of the minds who have no qualms with performing a massacre. I have no idea what the answer is though. They need morality but how do you implement that?

Inner Dirt
09-16-2015, 04:00 PM
You keep emphasizing the US....As if the Bad guys all over the world don't suffer from a lack of firearms...Or don't you notice this ?

Man, in great numbers, has been bashing, and jabbing, and cutting each other, long before the discovery of Gunpowder... So why this big crusade about guns in the US ?..

If you look at homicide rates going back to biblical times as weapons have advanced the murder rates have steadily dropped. We have all the gun control people wanting to control magazine size, yet the
advent of the repeating rifle and repeating handgun saw murder rates drop even further.

A lot of these gun control proponents ignore private gun sales. They act like 99% of guns are bought at stores and gun shows. Like others have
said trying to do something about hundreds of millions of guns in private hands isn't happening. Also last I checked laws don't stop criminals they
only stop law abiding people.

As I have said till I am blue in the face how about the gun control crowd
proposing something that they think is workable and we will debate it. They
never do because they realize the gun really isn't the problem.