PDA

View Full Version : Woodbine Mile

Valuist
09-13-2015, 01:19 PM
I was listening to the Woodbine analysts reviewing the race and they were talking about the Euro, Mondaliste. I found it odd they kept saying the horse wanted firm ground, and not the yielding turf it would get today. According to the DRF, the 10 length win at Pontrefact was on "good to firm", while Timeform US had the course listed as yielding. Given that the final time was 1:43 for the mile, have to think Timeform got it right and the DRF was incorrect.

ebcorde
09-13-2015, 01:41 PM
I was listening to the Woodbine analysts reviewing the race and they were talking about the Euro, Mondaliste. I found it odd they kept saying the horse wanted firm ground, and not the yielding turf it would get today. According to the DRF, the 10 length win at Pontrefact was on "good to firm", while Timeform US had the course listed as yielding. Given that the final time was 1:43 for the mile, have to think Timeform got it right and the DRF was incorrect.

I love the #7

Robert Fischer
09-13-2015, 02:13 PM
Both of the invaders (i think 7 and 8?) look pretty solid. They are probably more worried about whether the race comes back to them than the going.

Obviously could be very tough if he can control the pace.
Lea probably benefits if Obviously lasts, in at least getting a piece.

I don't have a real strong feel for the race.

cbp
09-13-2015, 02:23 PM
Obviously presents a dilemma of sorts (for those not familiar with WO). On the one hand, the horse is absolutely loose. On the other, it's been racing on speed favoring short stretch courses. Horses that win at Belmont tend to collapse during that long stretch run. Unless loose in poodle fractions, I'd be really surprised if the 1 is able to wire these.

Tom
09-13-2015, 03:09 PM
:7: :9: :11: :10:

Valuist
09-13-2015, 03:20 PM
Both of the invaders (i think 7 and 8?) look pretty solid. They are probably more worried about whether the race comes back to them than the going.

Obviously could be very tough if he can control the pace.
Lea probably benefits if Obviously lasts, in at least getting a piece.

I don't have a real strong feel for the race.

At Woodbine, any turf race is capable of having the speed come back to the field. Conditions look perfect for the Euros.

cutchemist42
09-13-2015, 05:05 PM
Canadian Stakes; looking at...

:4: 3/1
:3: 3/1
:6: 5/1
:1: 6/1

edit-Went with 2-horse win bet on the :4: and :1:

RXB
09-13-2015, 05:19 PM
I bet Button Down in the Canadian and I am pissed at Rosario. No idea what was going through his mind in the upper part of the final straight.

Stillriledup
09-13-2015, 05:35 PM
How's the turf playing today, inside speed is gold or can you close?

cutchemist42
09-13-2015, 05:37 PM
Mile; looking at..

:10: 9/5
:1: 5/2
:7: 9/2

edit-Win on the 10

Robert Fischer
09-13-2015, 05:38 PM
if Obviously holds on I think it should be very 'logical' behind

if Obv folds, I like the 2 from playtheking to be in the mix as well.

Stillriledup
09-13-2015, 05:41 PM
Does Mr Owen really carry 112?

Valuist
09-13-2015, 05:49 PM
Nice move splitting horses late by Mondialiste.

Stillriledup
09-13-2015, 05:51 PM
That's incredible . Nice of the guy on the 9 to just stop aggressively urging all the way, rode the final few strides like it was a harness racing qualifier.

RXB
09-13-2015, 05:53 PM
Having endured a painfully stupid rider decision to lose R9, let's see if I get DQ'ed off of a win now in R10. It seems to me that Obviously caused the problem rather than Mondialiste but I never trust the stewards.

Robert Fischer
09-13-2015, 05:54 PM
Mondialiste passed Obviously too quickly. Gotta take him down.

Robert Fischer
09-13-2015, 05:56 PM
exciting race.

Stillriledup
09-13-2015, 06:21 PM
Mondialiste passed Obviously too quickly. Gotta take him down.

Exactly, not sure why the winner blinked, the rail horse came out into the guy.

Valuist
09-13-2015, 10:52 PM

Given the result, have to believe Timeform was correct and the DRF incorrect re: the Pontrefact turf condition.

classhandicapper
09-14-2015, 11:38 AM
The Europeans have many more track conditions than the US and the same term does not necessarily mean the same thing in Europe as it does in the US. You have to know the source for your PP provider and also how the PP provider handles it. Better yet, view the race to see the conditions for yourself.

Robert Fischer
09-14-2015, 12:08 PM
Once Obviously went out with no attempt to rate, (unless he somehow had a heroic performance to win) he left it up to those making first run, and to the best horses(not named Obviously).

When Reporting Star (an outclassed animal) disregarded 1st run position and chased the hot pace as if he was actually going to tackle Obviously and then hold off the field, the race opened up even more so, to the best off the pace horses.

Mondialiste was much the best of the remaining turf milers. Lea is also a very nice horse. The results were extremely formful, and were unlikely to have been greatly affected by the going.

Valuist
09-14-2015, 12:11 PM
I have to believe the results were indeed impacted by the conditions. Obviously is used to running over rock hard courses; something he clearly did not get. If this same field met at the very firm courses of SA or Dmr, Obviously likely would whip them. Anything less than firm and Mondialiste is the class of the bunch.

cj
09-14-2015, 12:11 PM
Given the result, have to believe Timeform was correct and the DRF incorrect re: the Pontrefact turf condition.

The track conditions overseas are not the same as here, even when the word used is the same. We have done our best at TimeformUS to equate the overseas designations to ours and use those. That is about the best we can do.

Valuist
09-14-2015, 12:20 PM
The track conditions overseas are not the same as here, even when the word used is the same. We have done our best at TimeformUS to equate the overseas designations to ours and use those. That is about the best we can do.

I think we as fans and bettors are fine with that. A couple other points that could lead one to draw the conclusion the course that day was less than firm; a final time of 1:43. Now we don't know the runup distance, but 1:43 for a mile is likely run over a course closer to a bog than firm. And the 10 length win margin is giant for a turf race; either Mondialiste really liked it, the competition hated it, or a combination of both.