PDA

View Full Version : Excel 2013 help

Pick 'em Charlie
09-12-2015, 07:11 AM
I used to be able in previous versions of Excel to close a spreadsheet and have a blank Excel form without any spreadsheets open. Now I'm not seeing that "X" to close out the spreadsheet only and leave Excel open. This means that I have to first open my next spreadsheet and go back and close out my previous spreadsheet, or close Excel out altogether and reopen the new app. I've look at all the toolbar settings and have not found the problem there. Any other suggestions?

headhawg
09-12-2015, 10:35 AM
You can try adding the Close command to the Quick Access toolbar. You can find this in the Excel options. The section used to be called Customize, but I believe that there's a Quick Access toolbar option now.

raybo
09-12-2015, 12:47 PM
I used to be able in previous versions of Excel to close a spreadsheet and have a blank Excel form without any spreadsheets open. Now I'm not seeing that "X" to close out the spreadsheet only and leave Excel open. This means that I have to first open my next spreadsheet and go back and close out my previous spreadsheet, or close Excel out altogether and reopen the new app. I've look at all the toolbar settings and have not found the problem there. Any other suggestions?

I have 2010, not 2013, so don't know why you don't have 2 "Close" buttons in the upper right hand corner, one for Excel and one for the active workbook. But, in the "File" menu (if 2013 even has one), is there a "Close" option? If so, what happens when you click that? In 2010, it closes the active workbook but leaves Excel open with a blank window, if no other workbooks are open.

Pick 'em Charlie
09-12-2015, 12:52 PM
That did it. It's hidden for some reason. I had to go to commands not in ribbon, not popular commands. Why? This is a crazy as not having a shut down button on Windows 8.

Thanks

raybo
09-12-2015, 01:04 PM
I forgot I have 2013 on my laptop. Just fired it up, and there is a "File" menu (top left corner of Excel). Click that "File" menu button, and then click "Close" which will close the active workbook but leave Excel running, with a blank window.