PDA

View Full Version : Why Would A Horse Race W/Out Shoes?

NorCalGreg
09-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Once in a while I can remember hearing either the track announcer, or the scroll on-screen saying a certain horse would be racing that day "without shoes". Happened today @ Los Al. With Bris PP's--any "good" comments are on the left--and negative on the right. This horse had no good comment, but had more poor comments than I've ever seen.
Anyway...does anyone know WHY this poor 7yr old would race with no shoes? Obviously he doesn't belong here, may be more useful as a farm animal?

LOS ALAMITOS RACE 7
:5: Tizbudsformenlimo
* Finished far back in last start
* Only 1 win(s) in 22 career starts
* Has not raced for more than 2 months
* Poor trainer win%
* Poor jockey win%
* Poor Speed Figures
* Poor record at this distance
* Poor record at this track
* Best Speed Rating is well below the Avg Winning Speed

Tom
09-11-2015, 09:20 PM
Finger Lakes would like to discuss a trade.

zerosky
09-11-2015, 09:24 PM
I can't remember the race but a Graham Motion Horse won this week without shoes.
twas on the turf I think

NorCalGreg
09-11-2015, 09:25 PM
Finger Lakes would like to discuss a trade.

LOL....I like any and all jokes at the expense of Finger Lakes :D

NorCalGreg
09-11-2015, 09:32 PM
I can't remember the race but a Graham Motion Horse won this week without shoes.
twas on the turf I think

Only reason I know why they put those heavy shoes on a horse is to keep their hooves from splitting. Guess that turf horse winning shows it's not just hopeless cases that run unshod.

whodoyoulike
09-11-2015, 09:33 PM
Don't know about the shoes but, you missed he is a 7yo who started racing as a 6yo breaking mdn this year at 4.5f MC3500 at LA. This race is 8f cl8k n2L 3up $14k purse with 7 other runners. Hoping you didn't place a wager on him until he shows some recent form.

v j stauffer
09-11-2015, 09:51 PM
Some horses have very tender feet. Perhaps more importantly the foot can be brittle and weak. Think of toenails that won't cooperate.

When the hoofs are weak it's hard to keep the shoe tightly secure. Constantly adjusting or changing them can break away more and more material.

Some trainers will try glue on shoes. They've shown to have spotty results as best.

Eventually the trainer will be forced to try running them unshod usually as the lesser of the other evils.

Suffice to say it's never a positive sign.

NorCalGreg
09-11-2015, 09:53 PM
Don't know about the shoes but, you missed he is a 7yo who started racing as a 6yo breaking mdn this year at 4.5f MC3500 at LA. This race is 8f cl8k n2L 3up $14k purse with 7 other runners. Hoping you didn't place a wager on him until he shows some recent form.

No, I did not wager on this horse. You may have missed the last line in my post: Anyway...does anyone know WHY this poor 7yr old would race with no shoes? Obviously he doesn't belong here, may be more useful as a farm animal?

v j stauffer
09-12-2015, 11:50 PM
No, I did not wager on this horse. You may have missed the last line in my post: Anyway...does anyone know WHY this poor 7yr old would race with no shoes? Obviously he doesn't belong here, may be more useful as a farm animal?

If you'd like to delve much deeper into this question. I can refer you to post #7 in this thread.

Seems like you may have skipped over that.

NorCalGreg
09-13-2015, 12:26 AM
If you'd like to delve much deeper into this question. I can refer you to post #7 in this thread.

Seems like you may have skipped over that.

Sorry missed that, was replying to the previous gentleman-- as you were posting. Thanks for responding, that did shed light on an old question I've had. Can tell by your posts here you've worked a farm, or racing stable, or a prison rodeo.
Take care :)
-NCG

v j stauffer
09-13-2015, 01:01 AM
Sorry missed that, was replying to the previous gentleman-- as you were posting. Thanks for responding, that did shed light on an old question I've had. Can tell by your posts here you've worked a farm, or racing stable, or a prison rodeo.
Take care :)
-NCG

Something like that. :)