PDA

View Full Version : Serena stunned

Kash$
09-11-2015, 03:05 PM
Thats why you play the game..shes had a remarkable run..

ManU918
09-11-2015, 03:26 PM
The Goat and certainly a huge upset... But the reporters trying to compare this to Buster Douglas beating Tyson are insane.. Vinci was only +1000 ... In the grand scheme of things it doesn't even scratch the surface of major upsets in the history of sports.

Marshall Bennett
09-11-2015, 03:58 PM
I've never heard of a huge upset in Tennis. Sort of like Golf or Bowling. :)

ManU918
09-11-2015, 04:25 PM
I've never heard of a huge upset in Tennis. Sort of like Golf or Bowling. :)

Nadal was -10000 in the 2009 French Open vs Robin Soderling and lost... That's massive.

ebcorde
09-11-2015, 04:36 PM
she always stresses out in a big match so I stopped watching her years ago. I was expecting a epic fail How was the crowd on 9-11 day? Pro-American or Italian?

Tor Ekman
09-11-2015, 04:47 PM
Arriverderci !

horses4courses
09-11-2015, 07:47 PM
Bookmakers that took futures on the US Open Women's title
must have made plenty of money this year.

I know that the UK books had Serena around -1.40 to
be champion again. That looked pretty tempting,
considering her opposition appeared lightweight.

Just goes to show - no such thing as a cinch.
She came out flat after the emotional win over her sister.

Inner Dirt
09-11-2015, 11:07 PM
The Goat and certainly a huge upset... But the reporters trying to compare this to Buster Douglas beating Tyson are insane.. Vinci was only +1000 ... In the grand scheme of things it doesn't even scratch the surface of major upsets in the history of sports.

If I recall Buster was like 38-1 or so?

thaskalos
09-11-2015, 11:27 PM
If I recall Buster was like 38-1 or so?

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2015/02/05/more-sports/boxing-2/vaccaro-was-only-bookmaker-to-lay-odds-on-historic-fight/#.VfObFhFVhBc

BetHorses!
09-12-2015, 06:50 AM
Never underestimate pressure. They all feel it

burnsy
09-12-2015, 07:28 AM
Never underestimate pressure. They all feel it

.............or fatigue, whether it be emotional or physical. She came out firing like she always does and then she seemed to run out of gas.

cbp
09-12-2015, 10:07 AM
She needs to pump up a little bit more.

To her credit, at least she's not out there screeching away like most of the other women. And, what's even worse, some of the men have started moaning. Outside of the old guard, the game is quickly becoming unhearable.

mountainman
09-13-2015, 03:34 PM
I don't like all the screaming after she wins a key point. We're told it's to motivate herself, but it strikes me more as self-aggrandizing, and she often looks directly across the net. Which amounts to screaming at an opponent.

NJ Stinks
09-13-2015, 10:49 PM
The only thing Djokovic has on Federer is 6 years.

ManU918
09-13-2015, 10:53 PM
The only thing Djokovic has on Federer is 6 years.

The fact that at Federer's age he can still compete at this level and play for Grand Slams is incredible. The guy is a fierce competitor and at his peak in the 2000's he was unbeatable. Father time catches up with everyone but at 34 to be ranked 2nd in the world says it all.

Kash$
01-30-2016, 08:01 AM
Serena beaten today

LottaKash
01-30-2016, 08:44 AM
.............or fatigue, whether it be emotional or physical. She came out firing like she always does and then she seemed to run out of gas.

I think all of the above, plus, a bit of "Midriff Bulge"... I don't think she was as ready as she needed to be at that stage of the tourney...

The Clock and the Cookies always take their toll in due time.. :eek:

burnsy
01-30-2016, 09:24 AM
I think all of the above, plus, a bit of "Midriff Bulge"... I don't think she was as ready as she needed to be at that stage of the tourney...

The Clock and the Cookies always take their toll in due time.. :eek:

Yeah, and when you win like she was the "hunger" will eventually dwindle. The "upstarts" are looking to knock her down and they are driven to do so. Time is always a factor too. Look at Peyton Manning.

Father Time.....1,000,000,000,000, Athletes and humans 1.

and the "one" was part God.

Dark Horse
01-30-2016, 11:11 AM
Angie Kerber ... Two silky dropshots at 3-2 in the third. Beauties! And both times Serena responded with a double fault. That was the match. Right there. Brilliant.

cj
01-30-2016, 12:32 PM
Serena didn't play the tune up tourneys and I'm sure wasn't 100% match fit. Kerber earned the win, but I wouldn't write Serena off just yet.

Stillriledup
01-30-2016, 12:52 PM
The fact that at Federer's age he can still compete at this level and play for Grand Slams is incredible. The guy is a fierce competitor and at his peak in the 2000's he was unbeatable. Father time catches up with everyone but at 34 to be ranked 2nd in the world says it all.

I don't follow tennis but I have heard of federer and to be still playing at this level is almost impossible to believe. Hes the GOAT, right?

cj
01-30-2016, 12:54 PM
I don't follow tennis but I have heard of federer and to be still playing at this level is almost impossible to believe. Hes the GOAT, right?

He is in my mind, but Djokovic will probably catch him before all is said and done. He's ranked third by the way which is why he had to lose to Novak in the semi instead of losing to him in the final :)

ebcorde
01-30-2016, 02:06 PM
know to beat her one has to make her feel the pressure or hope she feels the pressure, that's always been her battle.

and that's why I don't watch her play. too much female drama, when some women lose it they can really lose it emotionally

cj
01-30-2016, 02:19 PM
know to beat her one has to make her feel the pressure or hope she feels the pressure, that's always been her battle.

and that's why I don't watch her play. too much female drama, when some women lose it they can really lose it emotionally

You obviously didn't watch. Serena never "lost it".

ebcorde
01-30-2016, 04:38 PM
You obviously didn't watch. Serena never "lost it".

that's what I said I did not watch it

so she never had an anguished look on her face, it's the end of the world look?

I find that hard to believe

Redboard
01-30-2016, 05:20 PM
I watched it and I thought Kerber played the match of her life. It happens. She had nothing to lose, being a big underdog. Same thing happened to Nadal in the first round. Verdasco played the match of his life. Both contests were great watching, that’s tennis.
Hey CJ do you play in the winter? There are indoor courts in my neighborhood that offer open round-robin play on Monday and Wednesday mornings for two hours. It’s a must on my schedule.

cj
01-30-2016, 05:48 PM
that's what I said I did not watch it

so she never had an anguished look on her face, it's the end of the world look?

I find that hard to believe

No, and she was as gracious a loser as you will ever see. She just got beat by somebody that played better on that day.

cj
01-30-2016, 05:50 PM
I watched it and I thought Kerber played the match of her life. It happens. She had nothing to lose, being a big underdog. Same thing happened to Nadal in the first round. Verdasco played the match of his life. Both contests were great watching, that’s tennis.
Hey CJ do you play in the winter? There are indoor courts in my neighborhood that offer open round-robin play on Monday and Wednesday mornings for two hours. It’s a must on my schedule.

Yep, I play at OU at least a few times a week in a fabulous facility. (They have a GREAT tennis team) There are also indoor courts that just opened in the OKC Tennis Center which are really nice, but I prefer OU.

MutuelClerk
01-31-2016, 12:11 AM
No, and she was as gracious a loser as you will ever see. She just got beat by somebody that played better on that day.

Agreed. Hard to shoes to walk in. Being as great as she is, never expected to lose and being very gracious when you do. I think she joked in the interviews afterwards she's a great actress. Rare these days, someone losing with class like this. She's really come full circle in my eyes. The women's game will miss her a TON when she leaves.

cj
01-31-2016, 11:48 AM
Agreed. Hard to shoes to walk in. Being as great as she is, never expected to lose and being very gracious when you do. I think she joked in the interviews afterwards she's a great actress. Rare these days, someone losing with class like this. She's really come full circle in my eyes. The women's game will miss her a TON when she leaves.

Without her now women's tennis would be in the abyss.