PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Lottery Fiasco

zico20
09-10-2015, 07:46 PM
We all know that the state of Illinois is the most corrupt state in the USA. Well, our buddy TOM may disagree and say New York, but that is for another debate and time. The state is now being sued in a class action lawsuit for failing to pay the lottery winnings for any amount over 25,000 because the state has not had a new budget since June 30th. Total amount due to people is 288 million and rising.

However, the state allows the lottery to continue knowing they can't pay the winners. Illinois is using this money to pay off other bills it is contractually obligated to. I believe we call this a ponzi scheme. :D Bernie Madoff would be proud. The suit demands that the lottery be discontinued til winners are paid. Can the politicians in Illinois get any more corrupt?

IMO, the lottery should be stopped. If Bernie went to jail over his, I don't see why the state of Illinois should be allowed to continue with it. What if they don't get a budget for a year or more and the legislator can't pass a law ordering payment. The total owed to winners will be over a billion dollars.

So, I am curious to see what everyone's opinion is on stopping the lottery til winners get paid. I am all for stopping it. It would at least start to force the politicians in Illinois to act responsibly.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-lottery-lawsuit-met-20150909-story.html

woodtoo
09-10-2015, 08:00 PM
Kind of takes away the incentive to play, don't play.

thaskalos
09-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Just when you think that you have finally figured out the extent of the corruption going on in this God-forsaken state...something else pops up to prove that you have only begun to scratch the surface. When you live in this hell-hole...even winning the lotto can't put an end to your misery.

LottaKash
09-10-2015, 10:46 PM
Unless of course, the people just aren't aware of this fact, I have a hard time imagining why anyone would continue to play that silly game... :confused:

garyscpa
09-10-2015, 10:51 PM
They probably give you a 1099 for the IOU. :D

Clocker
09-10-2015, 10:56 PM
Just when you think that you have finally figured out the extent of the corruption going on in this God-forsaken state...something else pops up to prove that you have only begun to scratch the surface. When you live in this hell-hole...even winning the lotto can't put an end to your misery.

Kind of makes you nostalgic for Mayor Daley, doesn't it?

I meant the first Mayor Daley. :p

LottaKash
09-11-2015, 12:19 AM
Maybe they can get someone to "reorganize" the place again.... :D

Clocker
09-11-2015, 12:46 AM
Maybe they can get someone to "reorganize" the place again.... :D

Is there a Nobel Prize for Community Organizing?

LottaKash
09-11-2015, 01:05 AM
Is there a Nobel Prize for Community Organizing?

The one that he got, must have been for that, because he wasn't in the oval office long enough to merit the one that he originally got...Not for "peace" anyhow... :D...So, it had to be for "organization"... :jump:

Tom
09-11-2015, 07:31 AM
Illinois may have won the battle, but NY will win the war. :lol::lol::lol:

Rise Over Run
09-11-2015, 08:58 AM
Just pay the damn winners!

Rookies
09-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Occasionally, I am just stunned into silence about the terrible machinations that result from the unplummeted new lows of corruption and failure.

This is one.

Tom
09-11-2015, 09:15 AM
Some legs need to be broken.
Kneecaps shattered.
Thumbs cut off.

Of the freaking elected officials.

zico20
09-13-2015, 05:10 PM

Hey Thas,

Here is an article about your wonderful state and how messed up it is. No, its not about corruption but the financial mess it is in. Tells how Cook County has lost 2 billion more in income from people moving out than from those moving in. Not only is Illinois the most corrupt but also the worst managed state.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/state-682158-chicago-illinois.html

zico20
09-21-2015, 07:35 PM
The city of Chicago is going for a 500 million property tax increase. The city is 700 million in the hole. Also, proposals are being floated for a garbage pickup tax, a luxury tax, a bad business tax, and a Uber fee. Can we think of any other taxes that Chicago could do? Cook County has the highest sales tax in the nation at 10.25% The city has a junk status for credit. How bad can it get for Chicago residents.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/09/21/chicago-residents-face-perfect-storm-tax-hikes/?intcmp=hppop

Tom
09-21-2015, 09:45 PM
Boy, I hope mostie lives inside the city limits!
He will be so happy - rising taxes are what he lives for. :lol:

Striker
09-21-2015, 11:55 PM
The city of Chicago is going for a 500 million property tax increase. The city is 700 million in the hole. Also, proposals are being floated for a garbage pickup tax, a luxury tax, a bad business tax, and a Uber fee. Can we think of any other taxes that Chicago could do? Cook County has the highest sales tax in the nation at 10.25% The city has a junk status for credit. How bad can it get for Chicago residents.

Here you go, but Chicago residents are safe on this one. They want the suburbanites like myself to pay up.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/7/71/972163/sneed-congestion-tax-works#post-1

Stillriledup
09-22-2015, 03:17 AM
This is incredible that theft like this could occur and nobody is in danger of spending one second in jail because of it. Mind blowing.

rastajenk
09-22-2015, 06:21 AM
Must be former racing regulators calling the lottery shots now, eh Riley? :p

Stillriledup
09-22-2015, 11:43 AM
Must be former racing regulators calling the lottery shots now, eh Riley? :p

It's amazing to me that this kind of corruption can go on and nobody's head is rolling. At the rate they are going, since nobody seems to care, they may as well go door to door in battle gear and just enter people's homes and just take their possessions, what's stopping govt from doing this?

zico20
11-12-2015, 07:09 PM
Lottery sales in October have plummeted. People are not getting paid for winnings over 600 dollars now. Here is a question I got. Doesn't the lottery money taken in pay the winnings? The article says the money is dwindling. How?

http://news.yahoo.com/illinois-lottery-ticket-sales-plunge-payout-delay-201332795.html

thaskalos
11-12-2015, 07:40 PM
Lottery sales in October have plummeted. People are not getting paid for winnings over 600 dollars now. Here is a question I got. Doesn't the lottery money taken in pay the winnings? The article says the money is dwindling. How?

http://news.yahoo.com/illinois-lottery-ticket-sales-plunge-payout-delay-201332795.html

PLUMMETED? :confused:

$215 million worth of lottery tickets were sold during the month of October...even though everyone knows that the state doesn't have the money to pay the winners?

In a sane society......the lottery ticket sales would have plummeted to ZERO!

Clocker
11-12-2015, 08:55 PM
Boy, I hope mostie lives inside the city limits!
He will be so happy - rising taxes are what he lives for. :lol:

Coming soon to a state near you. Gov. Cuomo just raised the minimum wage for NY state employees to $15/hr.

Who is going to pay for that?

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/careers/gov-cuomo-raises-minimum-wage-15-all-n-y-workers-n461651

Tom
11-13-2015, 07:38 AM
Baby Mario is a moron.
NYS is a toilet. And it is in dire need of a flush.
NY state workers are next to useless.
If we paid a state worker what he was worth, he would owe us money.