PDA

View Full Version : cancelation at kentucky downs 9/10/15

richrb
09-10-2015, 04:16 PM
canceled racing after 2nd race due to weather...no rain in area..anyone have more info...they only race 5 days this year and now a cancel

thanks rich

Tor Ekman
09-10-2015, 04:23 PM
Turf was yielding and must have been deemed unsafe after 2nd race

SuperPickle
09-10-2015, 04:32 PM
It poured overnight.

Apparently that dip off the far turn near the top of the stretch is a mess.

Another part of it is I think they were concerned if they beat it up bad today it might affect their big card on Saturday.

They ran 6.5 furlongs in 1:24 so clearly it's a mess.

letswastemoney
09-10-2015, 05:29 PM
I just drove there...for no reason it seems lol.

Turf is thick. Neat place to see. No grandstand. Just some chairs out on the grass area.

Valuist
09-10-2015, 07:10 PM
It poured overnight.

Apparently that dip off the far turn near the top of the stretch is a mess.

Another part of it is I think they were concerned if they beat it up bad today it might affect their big card on Saturday.

They ran 6.5 furlongs in 1:24 so clearly it's a mess.

Inexcusable. Big card? This isn't the Breeders Cup. Five days of racing in a year and they cancel one?

I hope HANA takes note and knocks them off their lofty number 1 ranking.

v j stauffer
09-10-2015, 07:23 PM
Inexcusable. Big card? This isn't the Breeders Cup. Five days of racing in a year and they cancel one?

Safety must always carry the day. No doubt you agree.

olddaddy
09-10-2015, 07:35 PM
I heard the jockeys voted to not ride. With those purses it had to be unsafe for the jockeys to do that.

NorCalGreg
09-10-2015, 07:42 PM

I'm with Valuist on this.....they've never had rain there before? Heck, there's an Elvis song about the "Cold Kentucky Rain" Now ya got just 3 days to get through, hopefully Mother Nature will be kind, and next year KD will be prepared for anything :) Let's get it together people.

parlay
09-10-2015, 07:54 PM
full refund after 1 race was run. not sure if they had a choice, thought it was the right move though.

thespaah
09-10-2015, 09:00 PM

Look..If the racing surface creates a hazard for horses and riders, that is good reason to cancel the card.
End of story.
I don't understand the anger with your HANA comment....
Are you one of these people who is unable to deal with disappointment?

Valuist
09-10-2015, 09:24 PM
Look..If the racing surface creates a hazard for horses and riders, that is good reason to cancel the card.
End of story.
I don't understand the anger with your HANA comment....
Are you one of these people who is unable to deal with disappointment?

Neither one of us was there. But check out the 4th post in the thread. He said no reason to cancel.

HANA rates all the tracks. Imagine if you had made a special trip to watch and bet KD? This isn't Parx who races all year. KD runs 5 days a year. I hope HANA takes this into account when they rank tracks the next time.

OTM Al
09-10-2015, 09:31 PM
Neither one of us was there. But check out the 4th post in the thread. He said no reason to cancel.

HANA rates all the tracks. Imagine if you had made a special trip to watch and bet KD? This isn't Parx who races all year. KD runs 5 days a year. I hope HANA takes this into account when they rank tracks the next time.
I would put much more faith in the track management than someone who said it looks alright. This is not a flat oval track with built in drainage. I'm sure the high spots were fine on the track but the low spots may still well have had water pooled in them and posed a danger to horse and rider. If HANA degrades them for this reason, then their rating system is a complete meaningless joke.

Tall One
09-10-2015, 09:31 PM
Thats not what lwm said, valuist. He drove there for nothing not knowing they'd cancelled. Anything to get out of Louisville for the day.. :D

Chance of storms tomorrow, and calling for more rain Saturday in Franklin.

therussmeister
09-10-2015, 09:35 PM

Fourth post didn't say no reason to cancel. He said no reason to drive there. I seem to recall they cancelled at least once, but I believe twice, last year too.

olddaddy
09-10-2015, 09:44 PM
My only beef is that they didnt cancel the entire card, that way they could have scheduled a makeup day, rather than adding 3 races to next wednesday and saturdays card.

Valuist
09-10-2015, 10:57 PM
According to the charts, two races were run without incident. Run quite formfully, with favorites winning both. If there was a spill or fallen horses, it would've been understandable to cancel. That wasn't the case.

NorCalGreg
09-10-2015, 11:19 PM
My only beef is that they didnt cancel the entire card, that way they could have scheduled a makeup day, rather than adding 3 races to next wednesday and saturdays card.

I've mentioned before how cool the Bris/Twinspires freebies are....well here's the unpleasant side of the that deal: I download the Ultimate PP's, alongside the PowerPlay which makes a nice scratch sheet, and something to log my picks on. $10 not counting data files. I'm not worried--it's free for the tracks I bet. I made my bets @ KD, starting with Depart Dover in the 1st-nothing until the 3rd. Total of 7 races.
With the scratch of Depart Dover in the 1st--and racing cancelled after the 2nd....I get charged for all the "freebies" since I didn't make a valid wager.

So olddaddy, that's my beef too, they didn't cancel the entire card :D

Tor Ekman
09-10-2015, 11:26 PM
NCG - I had that happen to me with a scratched bet. I called Twin Spires costumer service and explained the circumstances, and they waived the fee for the PPs that I ordered for the track where my bet was scratched. Give them a call.

olddaddy
09-10-2015, 11:32 PM
NCG - I had that happen to me with a scratched bet. I called Twin Spires costumer service and explained the circumstances, and they waived the fee for the PPs that I ordered for the track where my bet was scratched. Give them a call.

Ive done that also and also On a washed out card.

NorCalGreg
09-10-2015, 11:52 PM
Well damn....I've been missing out on some refunds then. I really thought I had called about that very situation--but I may have given them some slight attitude. :rolleyes:

SandyW
09-11-2015, 12:03 AM
According to the charts, two races were run without incident. Run quite formfully, with favorites winning both. If there was a spill or fallen horses, it would've been understandable to cancel. That wasn't the case.

The turf was so bad that in race 2 the 1 horse looked like he was running side ways in the stretch.
The jockeys made the call not to ride, they hate to give up chance at those big purses so the turf must have been really dangerous.

PoloUK6108
09-11-2015, 09:44 AM
Forecast keeps looking worse..will they have to cancel again on their big day? Hope not! Planning on heading down from Louisville tomorrow!

Tom
09-11-2015, 09:52 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/94311/kentucky-downs-cancels-reschedules-races?source=rss

Re-scheduled.

Robert Fischer
09-11-2015, 09:58 AM
I heard the jockeys voted to not ride. With those purses it had to be unsafe for the jockeys to do that.

:ThmbUp: This says it all.

ubercapper
09-11-2015, 10:08 AM
I was there. A jock or two rode the course before the first, said it was soft but seemed safe. They wanted to give it a shot, which makes sense given the big purses.

After the second race a couple of jocks were pretty muddy and went to talk to the stewards and the decision was made to cancel the remaining races. Even though it was partly cloudy with a breeze it was unlikely the course would get better especially if they were racing over it.

As most people know there the course has hills and dips and my guess is that in one of the dips it was soft and the grass was breaking away. They have their biggest day of the year Saturday and if they ran on that kind of ground Thursday the course could be in pretty bad shape Saturday so all-in-all it was the right call.

FrankieFigs
09-11-2015, 10:53 AM
I was there. A jock or two rode the course before the first, said it was soft but seemed safe. They wanted to give it a shot, which makes sense given the big purses.

After the second race a couple of jocks were pretty muddy and went to talk to the stewards and the decision was made to cancel the remaining races. Even though it was partly cloudy with a breeze it was unlikely the course would get better especially if they were racing over it.

As most people know there the course has hills and dips and my guess is that in one of the dips it was soft and the grass was breaking away. They have their biggest day of the year Saturday and if they ran on that kind of ground Thursday the course could be in pretty bad shape Saturday so all-in-all it was the right call.

Your guess is right on the money uber. It's difficult to keep that area in good shape when we get the downpour(s) that we did around here in a short period of time. It's actually holds up better with a steady rain than a "gullywasher" (lol). That's how it has been in the past.

bello
09-11-2015, 01:09 PM
No chance of putting "dogs" cones, around the trouble spots. I know its not comparing aplles to apples. but back in the day, Monticello raceway track would thaw in the springtime and they would lieterally put dogs up or sometimes even a fence around the trouble spots on the track and race around them, sulkies and all.

I had a strong shot at driving 400 miles to go there yesterday and decided against it due to getting busy with other things. So now I was going to go Saturday. But no shot until I see the completion of a racecard.

SuperPickle
09-11-2015, 03:45 PM
I'm kind of blown away with this thread...

The jockeys were concerned about course conditions. Prior to the card the jockeys were concerned about the course condition. They went out on ponies and came back still concerned but agreed to give it a try. The ran two races. The times were insane and horses looked to clearly be laboring.

So they decided to throw in the towel and run the races next week.

This is exactly how the system is suppose to work. The jockeys worked in partner with track staff and track executives and just couldn't get it done. It happens.

I'm just blown away people are complaining on this board. This was handled perfectly and people still complain. Then people post dumb stuff like "there were no break downs" One of the reasons their were no breakdowns was they only ran twice so few divots yet. But you can only assume the course would have looked like by the late double. It would have been a minefield. Also when the ground is super soft like this soft tissue injuries are a huge concern. If the course is breaking away under horses feet soft tissue injuries and general muscle soreness is a huge issue and that stuff sometimes doesn't surface for days.

Again a group of people worked in partnership to come to a correct decision they all stand by and a couple keyboard jockeys get to cry foul from the cheap seats.

Tom
09-11-2015, 03:50 PM
Good rule - only those who put their asses int he saddles and their lives on the line get to decide.

bello
09-11-2015, 03:58 PM
Clearly these guys ( jocks) do not want to give up on the biggest overnight purses in the country. And believe my, Franklin KY is not an easy place to commute to. Only point I tried to make is it seemed from what I have been hearing and reading there were certain localized trouble spots on the turf. The track is huge and quite wide. If it was possible to rope off the bad spots was being offered as a suggestion, and was likely thought about but who knows.

I would have been leery if it was track management that cancelled but jocks refusing to ride is clearly their prerogative.

And in any event, for those who went for the races and got stung, there is one hell of a bingo game there every evening.

SuperPickle
09-11-2015, 04:09 PM
Clearly these guys ( jocks) do not want to give up on the biggest overnight purses in the country. And believe my, Franklin KY is not an easy place to commute to. Only point I tried to make is it seemed from what I have been hearing and reading there were certain localized trouble spots on the turf. The track is huge and quite wide. If it was possible to rope off the bad spots was being offered as a suggestion, and was likely thought about but who knows.

I would have been leery if it was track management that cancelled but jocks refusing to ride is clearly their prerogative.

And in any event, for those who went for the races and got stung, there is one hell of a bingo game there every evening.

So its my understanding the issue was the spot off the second turn. Basically the second turn is down hill. All the water had drained there making it especially soft. Because part of the trouble was on a turn the added concern was horses would be turning which increased the chance they could slip or fall. Then on top of that they go back uphill off the dip. So you had the concern they could also lose traction going back uphill.

People often forget that on the turf every once in a while a horse just slips and whips out. While its not super common anyone who follows racing sees it happen. Sometimes on the turf they just slip and fall like on a wet floor.

Because the meet is so short there's no portable rails that expand or retract like a traditional U.S. course.

biggestal99
09-11-2015, 04:55 PM

They cancel in europe when the course is too waterlogged, much better to play it safe than to get ajock or horse hurt.

Allan

thespaah
09-11-2015, 09:32 PM

Notwithstanding the comment to which you referred.
My take on this is "stuff happens"....
Look the world is an imperfect place.

thespaah
09-11-2015, 09:56 PM
The weather looks good
KYZ072-120815-
SIMPSON-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FRANKLIN...PROVIDENCE
910 PM EDT FRI SEP 11 2015

.OVERNIGHT...CLOUDY WITH A 50 PERCENT CHANCE OF SHOWERS. LOWS IN
THE UPPER 50S. NORTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.
.SATURDAY...CLOUDY WITH A 40 PERCENT CHANCE OF SHOWERS. HIGHS IN
THE UPPER 60S. NORTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.
BTW, the current radar is clear in all directions for a good distance

ReplayRandall
09-11-2015, 10:00 PM
The weather looks good
KYZ072-120815-
SIMPSON-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FRANKLIN...PROVIDENCE
910 PM EDT FRI SEP 11 2015

.OVERNIGHT...CLOUDY WITH A 50 PERCENT CHANCE OF SHOWERS. LOWS IN
THE UPPER 50S. NORTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.
.SATURDAY...CLOUDY WITH A 40 PERCENT CHANCE OF SHOWERS. HIGHS IN
THE UPPER 60S. NORTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH.
BTW, the current radar is clear in all directions for a good distance

Go to cancelations thread......Kentucky Downs canceled for Sat. Sept. 12th.

Tom
09-11-2015, 10:09 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/94338/kentucky-downs-postpones-sept-12-races?source=rss

thespaah
09-11-2015, 10:12 PM
Go to cancelations thread......Kentucky Downs canceled for Sat. Sept. 12th.
Did not see that....Thanks...

PoloUK6108
09-12-2015, 04:55 AM
Why would they run Monday when no one else is running and they'll get no simulcast? It'll be the ADW crowd and that's it

therussmeister
09-12-2015, 05:01 AM
Why would they run Monday when no one else is running and they'll get no simulcast? It'll be the ADW crowd and that's it
They ran on Thursday, or tried to, when no one else was running. There are more tracks running Monday then last Thursday. With their big purses, Parx has been offering full fields.

PoloUK6108
09-12-2015, 06:24 AM
Nobody bets Monday and Tuesday tracks..ok they do but you know what I mean. This is KY Downs feature card, and many live tracks and OTBs will be dark Monday.

thespaah
09-13-2015, 12:34 AM
Parx is a joke...
Today's on track handle was $67,000.....That's less than the purse of several of the races run today....
The other gripe...The 8th was a listed stake with a purse of $200k. There were nine entered to go....5 of them scratched leaving a field of 4....
The turf was off...listed as yielding....
So what....run your damned horse