View Full Version : Java Update

Ocala Mike
09-07-2015, 04:44 PM
I keep getting messages that my Java is outdated, and I need to install Java 8. When I try to, however, the installation never completes.

Is this because I'm running Windows XP and/or because I don't have enough memory available? I think it's the former.

What are the ramifications of running an older Java? I know, dump XP as soon as possible, right?

09-07-2015, 05:08 PM
Java is evil. Unlike many bits of code, it's very version dependent and not very backwards compatible. What will happen, is that over time, as more and more apps that use Java need a newer version, you'll be stuck with trying to get the update on, or finding another app that works with it.

It appears that XP is unsupported on version 8:

There's a note about using version 7 of java on XP "at your own risk". I suspect version 8 won't install on XP.

The other nasty aspect of java is that it comes in various flavors from various vendors, and installing one version at the system level tends to break things. Some software packages that use java get around this by incorporating the necessary components completely within the application - which of course just means that app is bloated - but at least you avoid the java issues.