PDA

View Full Version : Smarty People Don't Be Stupid!

DeoVolente
06-06-2004, 10:19 AM
It was the middle fraction when Smarty made up a lenth that made the difference. But let's be honest here - what makes anyone think another Jockey could've rated the horse? Remember
Secretariat in the Preakness? Horse made that move on his own, and no 100 pound human can really stop a 1000 pound horse that is determined not to listen.

Too many people are being feebleminded and saying stuff about pedigree limitations! I just can't believe people are that stupid. If he'd got beat by 10 then I'd say maybe it was a distance limitation. But he got beat by 1 length in the final jumps!

cj
06-06-2004, 10:42 AM
Its not that he got beat, its that he got beat by a horse who is not in his league at shorter distances. Hell, the winner didn't really run fast yesterday, just fast enough to beat a distance challenged horse.

Tuffmug
06-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Yes, Smarty has a distance limit It is ONE MILE and 31/64ths! He lost it in that last 1/64th of a mile!!!

This pedigree crap about distance limits is just that, CRAP. ReRead the DRF pedigree comments about Birdstone and you will find that he wasn't supposed to get 1 1/2 either!!

kenwoodallpromos
06-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Stategy beat SJ. Birdstone had European champion breeding, but I and everyone else quit on him before he matured, and most do not like closers who beat 1-speed hotshots like SJ and call it a fluke.
Both horses are grade 1 champs.

freeneasy
06-06-2004, 03:10 PM
and never forgot it.
marathon races are nothing more then tactical positioning . speed figs, final times, internal fractions and the like can go straight out the window. the longer the race, the more disipated numbers become. use your head, watch the class, and hope you make the right move is probably the best way your going to win these races, see?:D

Skanoochies
06-06-2004, 03:14 PM
I say Smarty not being able to get the distance is total crap. He did get the distance, and totally shit kicked the other seven horses in there, losing to one horse who sat back and picked up the pieces after Smarty did the dirty work. I`m sure if you check out the times for 130+ other Belmonts you`ll find a lot of horses that won ran slower than Smarty.

Thanks for a great spring and a lot of thrills Smarty Jones.

Skanoochies.

CryingForTheHorses
06-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Bailey sitting on Smarty's flank smooching and Stewie not being smart enough to realize what he was up to got Smarty beat,Stewie just sat,letting his horse run along..the more Bailey yelled.The more stewie worried,Solis screaming up on the rail..Stewie rode this horse toooo Confident..Figured he was on the winner and could oulast them,Thats why he opened up 3 lengths,thought Smarty could last..Just forgot about the lonnnng stretch at Belmont, Also noticed Stewie looking around a lot.I hate that as a owner..If your in front, Keep riding, Looking around knocks your horse off balance,not a good thing for a tiring horse..All this crap about this and that..SOLIS and BAILEY outsmarted The small time jock in the BIG APPLE

sq764
06-07-2004, 07:31 PM
They outsmarted him? By finishing off the board? Sure..

BeatTheChalk
06-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Wonder what the Trash Talk was ...down the backside and
around the turn ? Only the Shadow knows...but I can guarantee
that the chatter wasnt words of love ..

CryingForTheHorses
06-07-2004, 07:41 PM
Either one of them didnt want to see him win..sacrifiecd their horses just so they could mess the race up...

karlskorner
06-07-2004, 08:26 PM
A portion of Paul Moran's column from Newsday

" If the Belmont exposes flaws and limitations, it served as a reminder yesterday of why the 39 year old Elliott's skill as a Jockey had taken him no further than Philadelphia Park "

IMHO he was out of his league riding against Bailey etc., a bush league rider against professionals.

sq764
06-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Was he out of his league in the Derby?

Or the Preakness?

WINMANWIN
06-07-2004, 09:00 PM
In retrospect Ellitott would have ridden Smarty differently.The 1
1/2 race doesnt happen often, and It is a Jocks race more than many races that are run. Servis was all class, talking about Elliott and saying my horse really never settled. Meaning stew, what the heck are you doing chasing everyone gung ho in a 1 1/2 race :eek: Great horses get beat all the time, My thinking is
they shoulda known The rock was training for speed, Eddington
was supposedly gonna more be involved, and he was. Purge was gonna sit off the pace this race, and by golly decided to burn up REAL QUICK on the front end:eek: Its just when you have a horse thats UNDEFEATED, winning the way he won in some races, The trainer and Jockey thought he was ALL WORLD, and
reality set-in.Believe me, I know how they felt big time. I had 5 outta 6 in the pick 6 and liked Birdie for the gimmicks:o I singled Smarty and it cost me 48k. I invested dog meat on the tkt also, As 3 races were singles, as many of you know the pick 3 paid 12.00 buckos to start it.Hope everyone learned the hard way. I did once again.:o

kenwoodallpromos
06-08-2004, 12:41 AM
Actually, Elliot's skill to him to Ar and KY to the $5 million bonus, plus to MD for a win. I know none of those are the big leagues. Neither is LS in Nov.

karlskorner
06-08-2004, 09:35 AM
On Sunday he was back at Mth, where he rode 8 horses, won one, lost 7. To quote Elliott " I would rather be a big fish in a small pond, than a little fish in a big pond ". Nobody asked him to stay on at BEL. Sort of reminds me of CRC trainer Cam Gambolitti, won the Derby, but not one owner put a new horse in his barn

cj
06-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Elliot is winning at over a 20% clip, so a 1 for 8 day is hardly the norm.

karlskorner
06-08-2004, 10:54 AM
" Elliott is winning at a 20% clip " at Philadelphia Park, that ain't Belmont. To quote Andy Wahrol " he had his 15 minutes ".

sq764
06-08-2004, 11:24 AM
He's also 2nd in earnings among all jockies in the country (including Belmont) with $9.3 million.

And someone must have noticed something about hiim, since last year at Monmouth he had 22 rides, this year he already has 48.. And is 2nd in standings there.

Tuffmug
06-08-2004, 11:31 AM
The only small timers I know are those who are blaming Elliot for the loss!

cj
06-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by karlskorner
" Elliott is winning at a 20% clip " at Philadelphia Park, that ain't Belmont. To quote Andy Wahrol " he had his 15 minutes ".

...and he'll be rich the rest of his life because of it. This guy did nothing wrong. Any rider can be beaten if other riders decide to run his mount into the ground. The "great" Bailey and Solis couldn't find Elliot with a map and a compass at the finish...great rides by them, for sure, eh?

delayjf
06-08-2004, 01:37 PM
I'm inclined to think that Smarty Jones had something to do with his placement and his eagerness to run. As I recall, last year we were lamenting that Santos was fighting Funny Cide down the Backstretch, so I guess its damned if your do and damned if you don't.

If you want to talk about a bad ride, how about Bailey's on Cigar in the Pacific Classic. As I recall, the pace was so hot, they actually set or broke the mile track record in a 1 1/4 race.

karlskorner
06-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Comparing Elliott's earnings against Jocks who "earned" their first million, is like comparing the guy who hit the lottery at 7-11 against Donald Trump, they will both be rich for the rest of their lives. If he keeps riding the small tracks, he will be the big fish in a small pond (his words), as long as he stays away from the NY tracks.

WINMANWIN
06-08-2004, 08:34 PM
Elliott is riding 1st call for Owner Michael Gill at Monmouth Park.
When Monmouth ends in late Sept, if things go good for him, he may decide to ride at the meadowlands.When the meadowlands is done in late november/December, it's back to Philly where he owns the joint. Naturally these riders want to ride on grander
circuits, better horses, more notoriety, but with a sharp agent gambling on there mounts, when THEY'RE live, who needs a grander circuit:eek: cause its business as usual, and its called THE GAMBLING BUSINESS ! Just think, if your Jock has 12 mounts in 2 days of racing. Now the agent books the mounts, and knows what the trainer wants for there horse. Maybe its coming off the bench, and needs a race, maybe its sore and even with the drop, it wont hit the board. But trainer and Agent know Steeds will take money, possibly be favorites;) Bye golly, that makes this gambling game a bunch easier doesn't it. Its all about trying,
and by all means I'm not saying they have it down to a science, cause they dont, but with patience and the right scenarios
They make good money gambling, purses are secondary at times.;)

Niko
06-08-2004, 09:43 PM
right on delayjf.
Last year everyone was complaining that Santos was restraining Funny and that's why he lost, this year it's Elliott because he didn't restrain the horse. From what I've read from jockeys there are times when the horse tells you what to do and you have to go along with it. As soon as Smarty made his move most experienced horseplayers knew he had a tough road to win...but if Elliott fights the horse does he have any more energy left at the end than letting him run??
Not sure about the conspirancy theories, I can't see being an owner and giving up a chance to win the Belmont just to see another horse lose that the public absolutely loves and is so good for horseracing but I don't live in that society so who knows.
I think it was a great effort by a very very competitive horse and the peak in the Preakness and the competitive spirit of the horse did him in.

sq764
06-08-2004, 11:13 PM
"Comparing Elliott's earnings against Jocks who "earned" their first million, is like comparing the guy who hit the lottery at 7-11 against Donald Trump, they will both be rich for the rest of their lives. If he keeps riding the small tracks, he will be the big fish in a small pond (his words), as long as he stays away from the NY tracks."

Karlskorner, last time I checked, $1 million spent the same in NJ as it does in NY..

What exactly is your point here? Or is there none???

PaceAdvantage
06-09-2004, 12:32 AM
I keep hearing all the gushing people were doing over Elliot in the Derby and the Preakness. Even Bailey was falling all over himself saying good things about Stewie's Derby ride when he was doing commentary for NBC @ the Derby.

So what? So he didn't ride Smarty Jones to absolute 100% perfection on Saturday. Given the exact same circumstances, I sincerely doubt there was another jockey in America who could have.

kenwoodallpromos
06-09-2004, 01:20 AM
Servis said a lot of top jockeys were trying to steal SJ for the Belmont. None of them shared in a $5 million AR bonus. Maybe a few pros were jeaslous of the Philly rider.

PaceAdvantage
06-09-2004, 01:26 AM
I doubt Bailey, with his multi, multi million dollar purse earnings, his Dubai World Cup victories, his Cigar parade, and his many endorsements is all the jealous of Elliot. Why should he be jealous. He earns a hell of alot more, will always get the better mounts, and is retiring in a year or two....

The only thing he could possibly be jealous of is a triple crown. But from what I see and hear, his main concern is staying healthy and winning a Derby that his son can enjoy.....