PDA

View Full Version : American Pharoah's defeat

grandstander21
08-30-2015, 11:42 AM
Saratoga once again lives up to its name as the "Graveyard of Champions".

Yesterday, Triple Crown winner American Pharoah went off as the 1-5 favorite in the $1.6 million Travers Stakes at Saratoga but failed to cross the wire first, and was beaten by 16-1 shot Keen Ice. This is his first defeat since his fifth place finish in his debut at Del Mar last year.

You can't blame American Pharoah for his run yesterday. He did absolutely nothing wrong, and I hope nobody jumps off his bandwagon for this.

It wasn't too bad of a loss. Last year, V. E. Day ran down Wicked Strong to pull off a huge 19-1 upset. I was very disappointed because I did not like V. E. Day in the Travers. He was coming off a win in the $100,000 Curlin Stakes and entering the G1 race, he was significantly outclassed. I actually liked Keen Ice this year because he was closing well off of American Pharoah just to finish a good second.

burnsy
08-30-2015, 01:28 PM
Right on. I agree. It was a class act bringing him here. Others would of ducked out and they could of easily, he just raced and was back west. That whole crowd including this horse deserve a lot of respect. This horse is still a first ballot Hall of Famer. It didn't matter what happened yesterday, he still ran the hardest race losing it. He's a great one, losing like that is harder than jogging home in front. That horse showed true grit, sweat and heart yesterday.

whodoyoulike
08-30-2015, 04:33 PM
If AP runs in the BCC, does anyone think we can get at least 2/1 odds? After all he should no longer be considered invincible this year with a possible chink in his armor. He'll be facing older and more experienced horses etc.

dilanesp
08-30-2015, 04:45 PM
If AP runs in the BCC, does anyone think we can get at least 2/1 odds? After all he should no longer be considered invincible this year with a possible chink in his armor. He'll be facing older and more experienced horses etc.

No way. It took 3 defeats before Noor was favored over Citation, and 2 before Sunday Silence was favored over Easy Goer.

whodoyoulike
08-30-2015, 04:59 PM
I was thinking of odds not whether he'll go off as the favorite. I need to make up for yesterday's exacta bets and I don't like less than 2/1 in the BCC no matter who eventually runs against him.