made tons of $ with the possibility of getting more superstars from
Mr. Z, so, he has little opportunity to speak out, hopefully
that could change.

What caught my attention is the following;

Frosted getting so close to AP, would never be the case if AP
was sound, and the final 200' of the race where AP appeared
to fall apart.

Biggest moment was Jill Baffert crying ;In my mind , crying
because AP didn't belong in this race and was placed at risk by a money hungry owner.

The BC will now draw a large field regardless if AP is entered.

Therfore, I hope the Travers was the last race for AP. If Bob
wants closure(which I believe is the case) perhaps he should
resign as the trainer.

Robert Fischer
08-30-2015, 11:21 AM
wow

Grits
08-30-2015, 11:21 AM
What REALLY caught my attention yesterday, aside, from the crowd at the track?

Larry Collmus' race call had to be, beyond any doubt, including the Belmont Stakes just weeks ago, one of THE BEST I have ever heard. He gave me chills, he was so passionate. This man had to be completely worn out and tired last night. I'm so glad he's at New York Racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJPx0IJHSXw

thaskalos
08-30-2015, 01:10 PM

Larry Collmus' race call had to be, beyond any doubt, including the Belmont Stakes just weeks ago, one of THE BEST I have ever heard. He gave me chills, he was so passionate. This man had to be completely worn out and tired last night. I'm so glad he's at New York Racing.

"The graveyard of champions has claimed another". :ThmbUp:

I don't usually listen to the race calls...but this was one I was glad I didn't miss. Thanks for the upload, Grits.

Stillriledup
08-30-2015, 01:13 PM
"The graveyard of champions has claimed another". :ThmbUp:

I don't usually listen to the race calls...but this was one I was glad I didn't miss. Thanks for the upload, Grits.

I always thought it was the graveyard of favorites. I've been wrong all these years!

PaceAdvantage
08-30-2015, 02:37 PM
I've been spoiled by Durkin. So no comment on the call from me.

I'll just say I SERIOUSLY miss Tom in his prime.

Fager Fan
08-30-2015, 03:23 PM
as I posted several weeks back there was never a doubt in my mind AP
would not run in the Travers. Why he went to the Haskell and thereafter
didn't ship to NY led me to believe Baffert was looking to "recycle"
AP.

First Issue: the is a D WAYNE off the plane maneuver which made
little sense. The fact AP shipped so late leads me to believe
Baffert didn't want to go, but was pushed by Zayat. Bob has already
that could change.

to fall apart.

because AP didn't belong in this race and was placed at risk by a money hungry owner.

resign as the trainer.

Shipped so late? Baffert waited for his work to decide whether to get on the plane or not. You think he should've shipped before the work when they didn't know yet? So perhaps he could fly east and back for nothing?

thespaah
08-30-2015, 03:51 PM
as I posted several weeks back there was never a doubt in my mind AP
would not run in the Travers. Why he went to the Haskell and thereafter
didn't ship to NY led me to believe Baffert was looking to "recycle"
AP.

First Issue: the is a D WAYNE off the plane maneuver which made
little sense. The fact AP shipped so late leads me to believe
Baffert didn't want to go, but was pushed by Zayat. Bob has already
that could change.

to fall apart.

resign as the trainer.
Resign as Trainer?.....
Over THIS?.....If we as a society ( in your mind) have become as risk averse as you imply, why try anything?....
It seems you have an idea that nothing should be tried unless there is a guarantee of success.
I disagree with your premise is a "money hungry owner". It's not as though Zayat just arrived on the scene with a one horse stable.
I can say this with a high degree of certainty...If AP had skipped the Travers, there would have been an amount of bitching of moaning equal to or greater than the carping seen on here because Zayat decided to send AP to the Travers.
I think AP belonged in the Travers. If he were my horse I would have insisted on it. Owners such Zayat( with his decision to run the Travers) show me they have an understanding of what makes Thoroughbred racing tick...Get the best horses in front of the fans. For the last tow decades we have watched as the number of graded stakes has ballooned along with non graded slots inflated purse stakes races. This has given rise to the ability of connections to dusk each other and still rake in piles of cash. The result is interest in important races has waned...Racing needs these battles among top horses. Never mind this nonsense of connections avoiding each other until Breeders Cup day
I used to make a day of the BC....Now I wish it would become part of history. I place some of the blame for the fact that we don't get to see top horses compete against each other on the existence of the BC....I think it's time has come and gone.

thespaah
08-30-2015, 03:53 PM

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

thespaah
08-30-2015, 05:29 PM

Same here. But there can be only one legend like Tom...We cannot allow ourselves to compare.
Collmus is a talented and energetic race caller. The fact that he is heard on NBC and has the BC gig says mountains as to his abilities.

NY BRED
08-30-2015, 07:14 PM
It seems you have an idea that nothing should be tried unless there is a guarantee of success.

REALLY? Try this..

AP WON THE BELMONT ON 6/6; He returned to Ca , and worked
6/29,7/6 7/12 7/28 and win the Haskell on 8/2

He then returned to CA and worked on 8/16 and 8/23 and arrived
last week at Saratoga.

So you presume the horse was fit, while Baffert waited until early last week
to make his decision to ship to the Spa, with only 2 w/o's in Ca???

We agree on only one statement, there is no guaranty in racing.

Pushing the envelope to run in the Haskell, shipping back to Ca with
far fewer works prior to the Travers vs the Haskell , clearly
impacted AP yesterday.

Clearly, the Travers was AP's race to lose against most of his
old "friends" which never would have occurred if he was a ready horse.

Cratos
08-30-2015, 07:26 PM

Grits, I agree that Collumus made a good, if not a great call of the Travers, but as I sat in my seat I was longing for TD's call.

dilanesp
08-30-2015, 07:32 PM
Grits, I agree that Collumus made a good, if not a great call of the Travers, but as I sat in my seat I was longing for TD's call.

The Collmus call was amazingly good. He's better than a lot of people here think he is, and is the best NYRA announcer since Dave Johnson.

affirmedny
08-30-2015, 07:33 PM
I always thought it was the graveyard of favorites. I've been wrong all these years!

It is favorites, champions doesn't make sense.

OTM Al
08-30-2015, 09:20 PM
It is favorites, champions doesn't make sense.
Incorrect. It is champions. Favorites win there as much as the do anywhere else. A who's who of all time greats have lost there at short odds. The name may have been borrowed from a famous, but now gone, court at Wimbledon where many top players lost.

Fager Fan
08-30-2015, 10:00 PM
:bang: It seems you have an idea that nothing should be tried unless there is a guarantee of success.

REALLY? Try this..

AP WON THE BELMONT ON 6/6; He returned to Ca , and worked
6/29,7/6 7/12 7/28 and win the Haskell on 8/2

He then returned to CA and worked on 8/16 and 8/23 and arrived
last week at Saratoga.

So you presume the horse was fit, while Baffert waited until early last week
to make his decision to ship to the Spa, with only 2 w/o's in Ca???

We agree on only one statement, there is no guaranty in racing.

Pushing the envelope to run in the Haskell, shipping back to Ca with
far fewer works prior to the Travers vs the Haskell , clearly
impacted AP yesterday.

Clearly, the Travers was AP's race to lose against most of his
old "friends" which never would have occurred if he was a ready horse.

Do you not realize he had only 3 weeks between races? Two works is standard in that timeframe.

SandyW
08-30-2015, 10:10 PM

Tom Durkin was in a class all by himself, the very best there ever was.

bks
08-30-2015, 10:18 PM

As was I. The great Trevor Denman (in his prime) would have lit that call up. ;)

Fager Fan
08-30-2015, 10:27 PM
:bang:

Do you not realize he had only 3 weeks between races? Two works is standard in that timeframe.

Correcting my error. It was a day less than 4 weeks.

Zaf
08-30-2015, 10:46 PM
AP despite his hard campaign and crazy travel schedule he was game as hell. He was right there at the wire. IMHO he ran great :ThmbUp: :jump: I don't see any negatives here. He won the triple crown, a close loss in the Travers, so what. A True Champion ! :ThmbUp:

thespaah
08-30-2015, 11:03 PM
Correcting my error. It was a day less than 4 weeks.
Yes 27 days. 20 years ago, that was nothing. 30 years ago it was a long layoff.

Fager Fan
08-30-2015, 11:10 PM
Yes 27 days. 20 years ago, that was nothing. 30 years ago it was a long layoff.

Part of the problem is the figures guys advising a long time between races. No doubt they're saying "told you so" today and trainers are listening.

RacingFan1992
08-30-2015, 11:41 PM
Why are we shocked a Triple Crown winner gets beat before, during, and after the campaign? So he gets beaten? Nothing will take away the fact that he still won the Triple Crown.

Post Triple Crown 3 Year Old Season
Sir Barton 9:4-3-2:0
Gallant Fox 6:5-1-0:0
Omaha 3:2-0-1:0
War Admiral 3:3-0-0:0
Whirlaway 9:6-3-0:0
Count Fleet RETIRED
Assault 9:3-2-3:1 (6th)
Citation 9:9-0-0:0
Secretariat 6:4-2-0:0
Seattle Slew 1:0-0-0:1 (5th)
Affirmed 4:1-2-0:1 (5th)
American Pharoah 2:1-1-0:0

TOTAL 61:38-14-6:3

Wins - 62.3%
Place-22.9%
Show-9.8
Unp-4.9%

I'd say AP is doing okay for himself.

NY BRED
08-31-2015, 07:57 AM
As I previously stated there are no givens in this game.

I have idolized this horse since the beginning, check my posts
with AP vs CC.

I simply feel the maneuvers since the Haskell worked against
AP and the proof is highlighted in mid stretch despite the
early fractions.

Added to this result is Donegal Racing Owner looking for a rematch in the
BC to prove KI, is better than AP, and simply needed more distance.

Watch the interview on You Tube ,hoping these two owners place a seven
digit bet between themselves if in fact, they meet in KY.

PaceAdvantage
09-01-2015, 01:09 AM
The Collmus call was amazingly good. He's better than a lot of people here think he is, and is the best NYRA announcer since Dave Johnson.Just the sheer differences in their respective tones of voice make it a no contest between Durkin and Collmus. Durkin wins the natural voice talent contest HANDS DOWN.

They're both good with their words and their accuracy (in their respective primes...you can't compare Collmus now with Durkin in his later years, that would be patently ridiculous).

You're seriously misguided if you think he's the best NYRA caller since Dave Johnson. Seriously misguided...

dilanesp
09-01-2015, 03:28 AM
Just the sheer differences in their respective tones of voice make it a no contest between Durkin and Collmus. Durkin wins the natural voice talent contest HANDS DOWN.

They're both good with their words and their accuracy (in their respective primes...you can't compare Collmus now with Durkin in his later years, that would be patently ridiculous).

You're seriously misguided if you think he's the best NYRA caller since Dave Johnson. Seriously misguided...

i don't think either of them has much of a voice, frankly. Harry Henson had a voice.

but Collmus is better because he keeps his composure while still being exciting. You guys are lucky to have him.

gracwalk
09-01-2015, 06:42 AM
Tom Durkin was in a class all by himself, the very best there ever was.

ITA, one of my favorite from Tom Durkin, the Belmont Stakes, between Curlin and Rags To Riches. What a race !!

burnsy
09-01-2015, 06:46 AM
Resign as Trainer?.....
Over THIS?.....If we as a society ( in your mind) have become as risk averse as you imply, why try anything?....
I disagree with your premise is a "money hungry owner". It's not as though Zayat just arrived on the scene with a one horse stable.
I can say this with a high degree of certainty...If AP had skipped the Travers, there would have been an amount of bitching of moaning equal to or greater than the carping seen on here because Zayat decided to send AP to the Travers.
I think AP belonged in the Travers. If he were my horse I would have insisted on it. Owners such Zayat( with his decision to run the Travers) show me they have an understanding of what makes Thoroughbred racing tick...Get the best horses in front of the fans. For the last tow decades we have watched as the number of graded stakes has ballooned along with non graded slots inflated purse stakes races. This has given rise to the ability of connections to dusk each other and still rake in piles of cash. The result is interest in important races has waned...Racing needs these battles among top horses. Never mind this nonsense of connections avoiding each other until Breeders Cup day
I used to make a day of the BC....Now I wish it would become part of history. I place some of the blame for the fact that we don't get to see top horses compete against each other on the existence of the BC....I think it's time has come and gone.

I agree. These horses don't race enough as it is. Now the goal is to get your horse to the BC without a loss? Even if there are important races during the summer. The game suffers enough with the lack of competition between the top flight horses........now they should avoid losing? What next 4 starts a year? This thinking is out to lunch and it hurts horse racing. The horse lost, get over it and he ran great. The fractions were quick he did what he could and still almost held on. Suggesting something was "wrong" with this horse is a joke....that's the reason they waited.....this horse is fine. Ran his eyeballs out and came up short....its racing.....it happens.....quit dreaming and crying. Some of the fans would rather see 1 horse races so their horse can't lose? What joke this entire thread is.

Jingle
09-01-2015, 07:43 AM
Mike (Pace), I agree with you on Tom Durkin but I think Marshall Cassidy is a close 2nd. I can still here his call on "Dolce Dolce Dolce"

Also, congrats on some nice picks you made and posted this year in the big races. Keep it going.

EMD4ME
09-01-2015, 08:16 AM
Just the sheer differences in their respective tones of voice make it a no contest between Durkin and Collmus. Durkin wins the natural voice talent contest HANDS DOWN.

I WISH Tom Durkin called this Travers and of course this year's Belmont. God only knows what amazingly witty NEW phrases would have been thrown out there.

Durkin was innovative and passionate with his words and captured moments better than anyone.

I get chills and goose bumps just remembering some of his amazing calls.

arw629
09-02-2015, 01:02 AM
It was the best call I've ever heard Colmus make and that is a lot coming from me bc I don't particularly care for his calls...why does he insist on yelling way too loud coming for home, close to the wire? Jeeze o man I find it incredibly annoying

My current favorite announcers include John McGarry, Peter Berry, Michael Wrona, and Frank Mirahmadi when he is doing impersonations particularly Denman...Dave Johnson and Tom Durkin are in a category all by themselves and to even consider comparing the Colmus screaming act to these two makes me really scratch my head....now I feel bad for bashing Colmus but he is "big time" now and will have plenty of critics so I hope if he ever reads this he doesn't take it personally

Ps. Again tho...his travers call was spot on
Pps...Dan Loiselle was one of my favorites as well...
Ppps..."Gaining ground"

NY BRED
09-02-2015, 07:25 AM
HELO ,HELLO MR. STAUFFER?

:cool:

cj
09-02-2015, 10:30 AM
It is spelled Collmus.

delayjf
09-02-2015, 10:47 AM
I think he's doing great - maybe its just me but listening to him I think his voice is very similar to Durkin's.