PDA

View Full Version : Philly Fans?

KingChas
06-06-2004, 09:13 AM
It was nice that the whole country was with Smarty.To me this was like New Years Eve.(amatuers nite)I handicap all year.I enjoy the Triple Crown races but don't feel I have to bet them.The only sad aspect of this is the amature(new)horseracing fans(Philadelphia)don't understand that Smarty Jones is the Champion.He won the Kentucky Derby that alone puts him in the History books forever.It was sad reading my local newspapers and hearing people say "Same old story no champ for Philly".

Smarty Jones 2004 Kentucky Derby-Preakness-Champion
Forever

sq764
06-06-2004, 09:18 AM
I was reading my local paper, The News Journal (Wilmington, Delaware) and one of the columnists said how Smarty actually brought back 2 championships to Philly (the Preakness and Derby)..

He also mentioned that this was more than Donovan Mcnabb and Allen Iverson ever did.. And boy was he right.

penguinfan
06-06-2004, 09:30 AM
It is the same old story in Philly, they are a town that rally's around any front runner it has. They get credit for being a town with really super tough fans, and that is far from the truth, uneducated maybe, but not tough, they just refuse to be faithful to their teams unless they are winning. How many of these "Smarty Faithful" even knew this horse existed befor May 1st:rolleyes:

The next time the Steelers win the SuperBowl it will be huge here in Pittsburgh because the fans have been faithful for the last quarter century selling out every game despite no championship, Philadelphia will never be able to say that because of all those "tough" fans:rolleyes:

Penguinfan

sq764
06-06-2004, 09:53 AM
Penguin, I have to disagree with you.. I have been a Phillies fan since I was old enough to watch baseball.. The fans are great, but are tough at times. They expect the best, and why not?

New York fans, Boston fans, Philly fans, they are all tough fans that expect the best and will boo when they don't get it.

Tom
06-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by sq764
I was reading my local paper, The News Journal (Wilmington, Delaware) and one of the columnists said how Smarty actually brought back 2 championships to Philly (the Preakness and Derby)..

He also mentioned that this was more than Donovan Mcnabb and Allen Iverson ever did.. And boy was he right.

Careful, there, SQ....you know what happened to the last guy who dissed Mcnab.....:eek:

sq764
06-06-2004, 10:30 AM
I don't have a pain killer fetish though :-)

Binder
06-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Such a hard evening
and Its getting harder when I realize how close he came
Mr Penguinfan I never really had the chance to root for a
winning team . You are lucky that the Steelers and Peguins have won I guess its like the REM song says
Everybody Hurts Sometimes
There are some of us Philly fans who are not so tough
So we all handle our hurting differently

A Sad Binder

Valuist
06-06-2004, 12:15 PM
Philly fans complain about the Phillies? I remember seeing them win a World Series in 1980. And the Eagles went to the Super Bowl that year (lost) but I know the 76ers won it all then and I think the Flyers did also. In Chicago we have TWO baseball teams; we haven't won a World Series since 1918 or so. Neither team has ever even made it to the World Series in my lifetime (41 years). Philly isn't the only sports town thats had lean times.

sq764
06-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I can't complain about the Phils.. When I was 7, they won the World Series (1980), when I was 10, they were in the WS but lost to the Orioles and when I was 20, they lost a heartbraking WS to the Blue Jays..

cj
06-06-2004, 12:32 PM
I was spoiled as a kid...the Os were the best team in baseball year in and year out from the mid 60s to the early 80s. Now, they just plain suck. I've been lucky though, Os, Colts (Baltimore, not the communist version), Ravens, and the Terps have been solid and won the big ones.

By the way, Chicago has the Bulls, and I seem to remember the Super Bowl shuffle, so quit your bitchin' :D

penguinfan
06-06-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Binder

Mr Penguinfan I never really had the chance to root for a
winning team . You are lucky that the Steelers and Peguins have won

Perhaps you did not see any of my Penguins games this past season, if so you would know what pain is.

sq764
06-06-2004, 01:09 PM
Plus you have to watch the Pirates play 162 games.. That's got to be painful.

JustRalph
06-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by sq764
I don't have a pain killer fetish though :-)

Yeah........but somebody could make your back start hurting!;)

kenwoodallpromos
06-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Every major sport has over 20 teams- how often are they supposed to win every year? How many Superbowl teams went undefeated? SJ only loses at 1 1/2 miles- how many more of those?
Write letters to the editors in Philly- and if you expect perfection in Philly tell them to get rid of the Liberty Bell- it has a crack in it!!LOL!!

sq764
06-06-2004, 02:25 PM
If you pay $40 to see a baseball game in the new stadium, shouldn't you expect excellent play?

If you bet $40 on a horse to win, wouldn't you expect an excellent ride from your jock?

If he cost his horse the race with a horrible decision, would you be thrilled? Or a little pissed?