PDA

View Full Version : Katrina - 10yrs ago today

PhantomOnTour
08-29-2015, 10:12 AM
A vibrant and rich city was brought to its knees on this day in 2005.
Thousands of lives, including my own, were changed suddenly, permanently, tragically.

I lost two friends during that storm and it's terrible aftermath - with bowed head I remember them fondly today.

I am sure this thread will devolve into the usual Left v Right squabble, but before it gets to that I thought I'd like to remember those events from a decade ago.

Tom
08-29-2015, 10:20 AM
Glad you came through it POT. :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
08-29-2015, 10:47 AM
I would venture there isn't anything quite as frightening as mother nature barreling down on you, threatening your life and property, and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it except run...

Thanks for sharing POT...let's hope we as a country have learned enough from Katrina to better navigate through the next super storm...

davew
08-29-2021, 02:53 PM
Ida could be largest in recorded history ... we will see if building back New Orleans better worked.

ReplayRandall
08-29-2021, 05:06 PM
Will The Rebuilt Levees hold this time?.....Heck of a job Brownie....:eek:

ReplayRandall
08-30-2021, 01:41 AM
https://twitter.com/realDerekUtley/status/1432151468187037704

dlivery
08-30-2021, 07:16 AM
https://twitter.com/realDerekUtley/status/1432151468187037704

CHEER HARD:)

boxcar
08-30-2021, 11:11 AM
I would venture there isn't anything quite as frightening as mother nature barreling down on you, threatening your life and property, and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it except run...

Thanks for sharing POT...let's hope we as a country have learned enough from Katrina to better navigate through the next super storm...

And the reason "mother nature" is so "frightening" is because it manifests the power of God Almighty himself. The following is an incredible story:

BREAKING: Hurricane Ida Reverses Flow of Mississippi River

Hurricane Ida’s storm surge was so powerful it caused the Mississippi River to briefly reverse course.

The river temporarily flowed from south to north on Sunday afternoon after Ida made landfall as a Category 4 storm that underwent rapid intensification. Data from the U.S. Geological Survey shows that a river gauge at Belle Chasse, just southeast of New Orleans, recorded the stunning about-face of the Mississippi River.

https://www.toddstarnes.com/show/breaking-hurricane-ida-reverses-flow-of-mississippi-river/

I have never heard anything like this in my entire life. And the Mississippi ain't no small river!

boxcar
08-30-2021, 11:22 AM
‘Catastrophic Damage’: Entire City of New Orleans Loses Power; Water and Sewage System Crippled by Hurricane Ida

A slow-moving Hurricane Ida has left all of Orleans Parish customers without power due to “catastrophic transmission damage,” according to Entergy New Orleans.

The intense storm had caused all eight transmission lines into the New Orleans area to go down, spokesman Brandon Scardigli said in an emailed statement. That created a load imbalance that knocked all power generation in the region offline, Scardigli said.

This storm might have been more powerful than Cat 5 Katrina only because it moved so slowly. Having been through more than my fair share of hurricanes, I can tell you from those experiences, I'm always thankful to the Good Lord for the ones that have moved quickly through my area! I don't think there's anything worse than a slow moving, powerful hurricane.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/08/catastrophic-damage-entire-city-new-orleans-loses-power-water-sewage-system-crippled-hurricane-ida/

Gamblin4ever
08-30-2021, 11:24 AM
A vibrant and rich city was brought to its knees on this day in 2005.
Thousands of lives, including my own, were changed suddenly, permanently, tragically.

I lost two friends during that storm and it's terrible aftermath - with bowed head I remember them fondly today.

I am sure this thread will devolve into the usual Left v Right squabble, but before it gets to that I thought I'd like to remember those events from a decade ago.

I have family in Gonzales, outside Baton Rouge, thankfully everyone is safe. The house they live in has small damage but nothing serious. I hope everything is good for you.

Marshall Bennett
08-30-2021, 11:35 AM
If you want updated on the Louisiana carnage, you'll have to go local because the cable networks are 99% Afghanistan...where we already know what the outcome will be. :mad:

fast4522
08-30-2021, 07:24 PM
Thinking of our friend Newtothegame who is from the area and has not been around for a couple of weeks.