PDA

View Full Version : Curious, anyone on here OWN horse(s)?

Laminarman
08-28-2015, 12:45 PM
Either on your own or as part of a syndicate? Thoughts? Just curious if owners are a very minimal part of this forum.

Copyroomjim
08-28-2015, 02:08 PM
A couple of friends and I did 20+/- years ago. We finally figured out that for what we were spending on training, vets, shoes, nominations and shipping we could support a 25 yo girl in an apartment and have a whole lot more fun, lol. We didn't but the costs were roughly equal.

chadk66
08-28-2015, 03:01 PM
Yes. And trained them for a number of years

elhelmete
08-28-2015, 03:42 PM
yes, in partnership

Alwaysonpoint36
08-28-2015, 04:55 PM
yes.

Chaka26
08-28-2015, 04:59 PM
Yes all minority shares in partnerships

Ocala Mike
08-28-2015, 05:40 PM
Not currently. Had a syndicate share in the stud ISLAND WHIRL down here many years ago, which was profitable, then tried to go it as a small (very) breeding farm (M&S Farm), but that failed.

Also dabbled in syndicates with runners, something called TransAtlantic Stables - made a miniscule profit.

Short story - you can make a million bucks in this game (if you start with 2 million).

green80
08-28-2015, 07:13 PM
I usually have 3 or 4 that I run every year. I keep them until they are no longer productive and get a few more. About 4 is all I want to handle at one time myself as I do the training and groom work.

CryingForTheHorses
08-28-2015, 07:24 PM
Yes.

Laminarman
08-28-2015, 08:33 PM
Everyone is very tight lipped about it : ) I am not buying a horse, just curious. I'm sure everyone dreams of finding the bargain Kentucky Derby winner but I'm realistic. I'm the guy who loses at BINGO and busts on every blackjack hit. I was told by an owner at Saratoga that "The way to become a millionaire as a horse owner is to start out as a billionaire." I thought that was funny.

sammy the sage
08-28-2015, 09:17 PM
Everyone is very tight lipped about it : ) I am not buying a horse, just curious. I'm sure everyone dreams of finding the bargain Kentucky Derby winner but I'm realistic. I'm the guy who loses at BINGO and busts on every blackjack hit. I was told by an owner at Saratoga that "The way to become a millionaire as a horse owner is to start out as a billionaire." I thought that was funny.

too MUCH corruption...stay away...just pm me...ie...send me the MONEY...can get you a better return... ;)

v j stauffer
08-28-2015, 09:21 PM
At one time owned all or part, mostly parts, of about 25 that were in training at the same time.

Trainers back then were. East: Peter Walder. So.Cal: Mike Mitchell & Jeff Mullins. Nor. Cal: Billy Morey, Steve Myadi, Steve Sherman, Rene Amescua and Aggie Ordonez.

v j stauffer
08-28-2015, 09:23 PM

I'll tell you anything you want to know. Including insider stuff.

Ask a question you'll get an honest answer.

Shemp Howard
08-28-2015, 10:01 PM
Take the advice of hundreds.

Save your hard earned money.

You only live once.

Broad Brush
08-28-2015, 10:43 PM
I always wanted to own a horse. So, I finally set aside enough money and
went to Keeneland and purchased a yearling filly in 1998 with my two sisters
and father. I was so excited after I won the final bid I went back to her barn
after the sale. I was alone and though I had bet horses since I was ten, I
knew nothing about being around a horse. I pleaded with her "no kicking"
as I entered her stall. She was really kind and I promised her one thing: that she would never have to worry about being sent to the killers.

She did make it to the races and earned a grand total of $90.
She is now 18 years old and she is our pet. We keep her on a small farm
outside of Lexington. She does not have a care in the world.
She is probably going to live to be 50...

v j stauffer
08-28-2015, 11:23 PM
Take the advice of hundreds.

Save your hard earned money.

You only live once.

Right church. Wrong Pew.

The VERY reason to own horses is because we only live once.

The feeling of walking to the winners circle is truly amazing.

chadk66
08-29-2015, 08:56 AM
:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

forced89
08-29-2015, 09:04 AM
I have owned horses for many, many years, maybe 100 in total. Currently I own only two. Lots of things have changed over the years. The two changes I notice the most are that my horses run less often which I attribute to the indiscriminate use of lasix. The second thing is a greater reliance on vets and a massive increase in vet bills over the years.

ultracapper
08-29-2015, 09:38 AM
I'll tell you anything you want to know. Including insider stuff.

Ask a question you'll get an honest answer.

How does a guy like J Paul Reddam decide which horse goes to which trainer? He obviously has O'Neill. He also uses Ben Cecil and Edward Freeman. How does he divvy up the horses?

v j stauffer
08-29-2015, 01:17 PM
How does a guy like J Paul Reddam decide which horse goes to which trainer? He obviously has O'Neill. He also uses Ben Cecil and Edward Freeman. How does he divvy up the horses?

He has a racing manager. They collaborate as to who's program a particular horse would be best suited for.

In North America Doug O'neill is the go to guy. If he wants a particular horse that will usually carry the day.

Dennis O'neill, Doug's brother is very very astute. He also has Reddam's ear.

AndyC
08-29-2015, 01:23 PM
Right church. Wrong Pew.

Ego gratification, what a great feeling.

elhelmete
08-29-2015, 04:40 PM
He has a racing manager. They collaborate as to who's program a particular horse would be best suited for.

In North America Doug O'neill is the go to guy. If he wants a particular horse that will usually carry the day.

Dennis O'neill, Doug's brother is very very astute. He also has Reddam's ear.

Reddam answers the question thoroughly on last week's Horse Ownership Experience podcast. Explains how his horses end up with which trainers. Cool stories.

ultracapper
08-29-2015, 06:43 PM
Reddam answers the question thoroughly on last week's Horse Ownership Experience podcast. Explains how his horses end up with which trainers. Cool stories.

I'd love to hear that. I'll google HOE podcast and see what comes of it.

onefast99
08-29-2015, 07:29 PM
There are those who have become Millionaires by racing their own horses and breeding them too! The Ramseys have done it very successfully. The owners of lava Man invested $50,000 and made several million off of him. Ginger Punch was a buy back at the Ocala sale and went on to make over $1.3m for Frank Stronach! I have owned since 2003 and have had success in the claiming box. It isn't a game for the faint of heart or those who live paycheck to paycheck...

pele polo
08-29-2015, 09:34 PM
I always wanted to own a horse. So, I finally set aside enough money and
went to Keeneland and purchased a yearling filly in 1998 with my two sisters
and father. I was so excited after I won the final bid I went back to her barn
after the sale. I was alone and though I had bet horses since I was ten, I
knew nothing about being around a horse. I pleaded with her "no kicking"
as I entered her stall. She was really kind and I promised her one thing: that she would never have to worry about being sent to the killers.

She did make it to the races and earned a grand total of $90.
She is now 18 years old and she is our pet. We keep her on a small farm
outside of Lexington. She does not have a care in the world.
She is probably going to live to be 50...

Very cool story. Thanks for that

johnhenry81
08-30-2015, 08:46 AM
Yes

Storm Cadet
08-30-2015, 05:34 PM
I've owned shares of 18 race horses since 2003. Been with three different syndicates over that span. Racing has been profitable but a four horse pin hooking venture broke even or lost some.

Had two that each got black type in Hopeful and Champagne Stakes . Another ran in high Al/80-100G optional claimers that won 7 times for our barn. Another filly claim at SAR, did well with 5 wins at Downstate Bel and Aqu in NY state bred opt claimers and NY stks races.

Buyer beware with the outfit as I've discussed here many times in the past.

thespaah
08-30-2015, 06:07 PM
Not currently. Had a syndicate share in the stud ISLAND WHIRL down here many years ago, which was profitable, then tried to go it as a small (very) breeding farm (M&S Farm), but that failed.

Also dabbled in syndicates with runners, something called TransAtlantic Stables - made a miniscule profit.

Short story - you can make a million bucks in this game (if you start with 2 million).
So it's the same as NASCAR....One prominent owner here ( Charlotte) was interviewed and asked "is it possible to become a millionaire as a NASCAR team owner?"
The response..."Sure. Just start out as a multimillionaire."
One item on my bucket list would be to take a winner's circle photo as even just a part owner.
At Saratoga a win photo would be the ultimate bucket list filler...

thespaah
08-30-2015, 06:09 PM
I usually have 3 or 4 that I run every year. I keep them until they are no longer productive and get a few more. About 4 is all I want to handle at one time myself as I do the training and groom work.
Wow. So you work them and muck stalls?
Do you clean tack, bathe, feed and bandage?
That's a lot of work....Kudos.....
BTW, as a former small business owner, I can see your point. Sometimes employees can be a BIG PITA

thespaah
08-30-2015, 06:15 PM
Right church. Wrong Pew.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:
I am amazed at the comments by some, that to me anyway, indicate a narrow focus on being risk averse.