PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Friday, August 28

Teach
08-28-2015, 12:13 PM
It’s New York State-Bred’s Day at “The Spa”.

Race One:

Let’s take a look at the opener. It’s the 200k Funny Cide. The race is named for the only New York state-bred to win the Kentucky Derby. This Distorted Humor-bred also won the Preakness that year, 2003 (it doesn’t seem like a dozen years). Oh, Funny Cide was the first gelding to win the Kentucky Derby since 1929. Funny Cide was foaled at the McMahon Farm in Saratoga, NY.

In this non-graded sprint, I like :4: Manipulated. Why? He won his only race, The 125k Rockville Center. This Malibu Moon-bred colt should enjoy the slight stretch out. Luis Saez is a top-notch, aggressive rider. Jimmy Jerkens, though not having a great meet, is a solid trainer. By the way, Jerkens does very well with winners of their last race; also with non-graded stakes.

Others: :3: , :1: , :2:

Race Two:

This is an MSW turf route for 2-year-olds. My choice :3: , Sax Change. Admittedly, this colt’s jockey, Rafael Hernandez, is not having a stellar meet; yet, he can win with this colt. Speaking of Hernandez’s mount, this Danzig-bred is stretching out about three panels; that should help. This colt finished third in a turf sprint against similar company. In that only start this colt was bounced around like a pinball in a “flipper” factory. There will be much more of an opportunity for this Exchange Rate-bred to get his picture taken with the added distance of ground. Gary Contessa trains; he’s good with second grass races.

Others: :2: , :6: , :1:

Race Three:

The 200k Fleet Indian Stakes at one mile and one-eighth. I like three horses: :1: Temper Mint Patty. She’s been installed as the even-money chalk by NYRA odds-maker, Eric Donovan. Just before Independence Day, this filly won the 75k NY Oaks at Finger Lakes with John Velazquez. Velazquez reprises the ride for trainer Todd Pletcher. :3: Conquest Superstep won his last race, an allowance event, at “The Spa” at this same distance. I like the fact that this filly’s had a race over the track. Shaun Bridgmohan, “The Jock,” (I made that up. Jamaicans are notorious for nicknames) is in the irons for trainer Mark Casse. The other horse I’m looking at is :5: Freudie Anne. She won on the turf here at “The Spa” a couple weeks ago. I like the turf-to-dirt angle. This filly certainly merits consideration. Yet, frankly, she may get tested for endurance. Jose Ortiz is in the irons for trainer Eddie Kenneally. In this short field, if you’re looking at “supers,” consider :4: Jc’s Shooting Star.

Race Four:

In this MSW sprint, I’m looking at :7: , Dettifoss. The question: Is today jockey Rafael Hernandez’s wake-up call? He’s certainly better than his record indicates; he showed that at Fairmount. But Fairmount’s not Saratoga. Dettifoss is a 3-year-old Street Cry-bred; he was closing in his last against similar company. The slight stretch-out should help. Proper handling could lead to a trip to the winner’s circle. Bruce Brown is having a less than stellar meet, yet a win here would certainly provide some solace.

Others: :4: , :6: , :2:

Race Five:

In this 200k Seeking The Ante Stakes sprint, I like :4: She’s All Ready. This This A.P. Indy-bred chestnut filly won her first race, easily. She’s stretching out a bit; however, I don’t believe that poses a problem. Kendrick Carmouche, “The King of Philadelphia,” is riding very well. Carmouche is in the irons for trainer Jim Ryerson.

Others: :1: , :2: , :7:

Race Six:

In this MSW turf route, I’m going with :8: , Sheyn Vi Di Levone. This horse’s name means: “Beautiful Like The Moon”. It’s the title of a Yiddish lullaby. Make no mistake. The pedigree is there. This is a bred-for-the turf filly. Can she win at first asking? I believe this Arch-bred has a shot. Decent works. Shaun Bridgmohan is in the irons for trainer Mike Dilger.

Others: :2: , :6: , :1:

Race Seven:

In the 150k West Point Stakes, I’m going with :6: Lubash. This 8-year-old Freud-bred horse is a millionaire, at least in earnings. This Storm Cat-bred has won two in a row, three out his last four. The horse’s trainer, Monsieur Christophe Clement, has been on a tear. Tres Bien! Junior Alvarado’s aboard this Cure The Blues-bred who’s hit the tote in two-thirds of his lifetime turf starts.

Others: :3: , :5: , :2:

Race Eight:

In this MSW turf sprint, my choice is :11: , Heated Verdict. This Court Vision-bred colt finished second in a similar race earlier this month at “The Spa”. Luis Saez, “The Panamanian Petardo,” reprises the ride for trainer for trainer George Weaver.

Others: :7: , :6: , :10:

Race Nine:

This is the 150k Yaddo (named for the Yaddo Gardens just down Union Ave. from the Race Course) is a turf route for fillies and mares. My pick is :9: , Discreet Marq. This aptly-named Discreet Cat, Marquetry-bred mare was second in this same race, last year. This 5-year-old was last seen on the racetrack in a Grade I Stakes event at Belmont Park on Belmont Stakes day; she finished third. Prior to that, this mare won the Grade III Beaugay at today’s distance. Johnny V. for trainer Christophe Clement.

Others: :10: , :4: , :7:

Race Ten:

The 250k Albany (Did you know that Albany, the capital of “The Empire State," was, in the early 1600s, called both Fort Nassau and Fort Orange by the Dutch; that’s not to be confused with “Old Nassau,” Princeton University’s alma mater: “Three cheers for Old Nassau”) is a one mile and one-eighth stakes on the main. My pick is :2: , One Sided, with Javier Castellano. This Quality Road-bred colt won his last, a 75k allowance at “The Spa” a little over two weeks ago at today’s nine-panels distance. Todd Pletcher – he’s vying for the trainer’s title – is this 3 year-old’s conditioner.

Others: :4: , :7: , :1:

Race Eleven:

In the finale, a maiden-claiming turf route, I’m picking a ML longshot, :2: Moon Track. This Posse-bred was closing in a large-field race about three weeks ago at “The Spa”. A better trip could do wonders for this Silver Deputy-bred 3-year-old. The rider switch to Jose Ortiz should help. This gelding’s conditioner, Dave Duggan, does well with second route races, albeit with a limited sampling.

Others: :8: , :3: , :5:

Robert Fischer
08-28-2015, 02:15 PM
It’s New York State-Bred’s Day at “The Spa”.

Race Three:

The 200k Fleet Indian Stakes at one mile and one-eighth. I like three horses: :1: Temper Mint Patty. She’s been installed as the even-money chalk by NYRA odds-maker, Eric Donovan. Just before Independence Day, this filly won the 75k NY Oaks at Finger Lakes with John Velazquez. Velazquez reprises the ride for trainer Todd Pletcher. :3: Conquest Superstep won his last race, an allowance event, at “The Spa” at this same distance. I like the fact that this filly’s had a race over the track. Shaun Bridgmohan, “The Jock,” (I made that up. Jamaicans are notorious for nicknames) is in the irons for trainer Mark Casse. The other horse I’m looking at is :5: Freudie Anne. She won on the turf here at “The Spa” a couple weeks ago. I like the turf-to-dirt angle. This filly certainly merits consideration. Yet, frankly, she may get tested for endurance. Jose Ortiz is in the irons for trainer Eddie Kenneally. In this short field, if you’re looking at “supers,” consider :4: Jc’s Shooting Star.

Johnny rode that horse like he was 18-1 and Manny rode that horse like he was 4/5 :) ...

Robert Fischer
08-28-2015, 06:37 PM
Race Eleven:

In the finale, a maiden-claiming turf route, I’m picking a ML longshot, :2: Moon Track. This Posse-bred was closing in a large-field race about three weeks ago at “The Spa”. A better trip could do wonders for this Silver Deputy-bred 3-year-old. The rider switch to Jose Ortiz should help. This gelding’s conditioner, Dave Duggan, does well with second route races, albeit with a limited sampling.

Others: :8: , :3: , :5:

good luck, i'm alive to :3: :5: :7: :11: for $1 in Daily Doubles.

horses that scare me the most = :8: (may have been best last time, has good speed as well)
:4: (dropping down)

pandy
08-28-2015, 06:55 PM
I always have a smile on my face when one of these trial maidens finally wins, especially if I feel that the horse gives its all. Hushhushmushmush got it done today in his 19th start. People may say that he has no guts, but I don't buy it. He now has 1 win in 19 starts with 7 seconds. I don't see how anyone can say that he doesn't try as hard as he can. He just isn't that fast and today he got the right trip and he was running as hard as he could late. I hope the connections give him a proper reward, maybe his favorite snack. Snickers bar?