PDA

View Full Version : Sports betting shot down by court

zico20
08-25-2015, 09:08 PM
A 2-1 ruling against NJ in the federal appeals court kills it. This doesn't surprise me. People will continue to get ripped off by shady off shore books who take your money and then close up shop only to reopen under a new name. There are a few reputable off shore books that a person can bet with confidence but not many. I wonder what the government's position would be if the vast majority of people that were getting ripped off were women instead of men. After all, Obama wants abortion legal because he doesn't want women to get back alley abortions that could endanger their health but seems to have no problem with men getting scammed out of their hard earned money to off shore bookies.

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/251913-court-rules-against-nj-in-sports-gambling-case

Tom
08-25-2015, 09:17 PM
People will continue to get ripped off by shady off shore books who take your money and then close up shop only to reopen under a new name.

Better to get ripped off by on shore government people.

horses4courses
08-25-2015, 09:33 PM

Don't forget Guido and Vinnie.
They hate that offshore crap, too.

Tom
08-25-2015, 09:36 PM
Hmmmm, a racist remark?

horses4courses
08-25-2015, 09:40 PM
Hmmmm, a racist remark?

Take it as you will.

Yes, it's a stereotypical remark about illegal sports betting in this country.
The entire setup is a sham, but too many people, including politicians,
make too much money under current conditions.

Sue me.

lamboguy
08-25-2015, 09:48 PM
good one as usual! :lol:

Tom
08-25-2015, 09:53 PM
Yes, it's a stereotypical remark about Italians.

Got any for Black people?
Same thing, you know.

horses4courses
08-25-2015, 10:04 PM
Got any for Black people?
Same thing, you know.

I'll leave that to you.

Hoofless_Wonder
08-26-2015, 04:33 AM
A 2-1 ruling against NJ in the federal appeals court kills it. This doesn't surprise me. People will continue to get ripped off by shady off shore books who take your money and then close up shop only to reopen under a new name. There are a few reputable off shore books that a person can bet with confidence but not many. I wonder what the government's position would be if the vast majority of people that were getting ripped off were women instead of men. After all, Obama wants abortion legal because he doesn't want women to get back alley abortions that could endanger their health but seems to have no problem with men getting scammed out of their hard earned money to off shore bookies.

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/251913-court-rules-against-nj-in-sports-gambling-case

IMHO, the offshore books are not a factor, except the fear of losing money there keeps the local bookies in business. And it's the local bookies, and organized crime, who still hold enough clout to keep sports wagering illegal - plenty of kickbacks there to protect their business.

But the tide is slowly turning. As local, state and then the Federal governments see their cash flows dry up due to the depression, they'll want a bigger piece of the pie and will cut the middleman (the mob) out. It will be similar to what happened with prohibition and "dry counties/cities". With legalized sports betting allowed, the $140B wagered each year would ballon to at least a $1T - and with .GOV taking a 5% or 10% slice of that action will be just too good to pass up....

Tom
08-26-2015, 07:23 AM
I'll leave that to you.

Oh, the double standard.
I forgot.

Inner Dirt
08-26-2015, 09:26 AM
I always attribute hypocritical and or out of touch lawmakers with decisions
like this that make no sense. People are going to gamble on sports whether it
is legal and convenient or not. Instead of spending money trying to stop it (and they won't even slow it down), the government could be making huge amounts of money on it. Lotteries that are no skill random luck gambling is ok, but skilled sports betting is not?

Tom
08-26-2015, 09:45 AM
Gambling, sex, booze, drugs.
People want them, people will have them.

AndyC
08-26-2015, 11:03 AM
I always attribute hypocritical and or out of touch lawmakers with decisions
like this that make no sense. People are going to gamble on sports whether it
is legal and convenient or not. Instead of spending money trying to stop it (and they won't even slow it down), the government could be making huge amounts of money on it. Lotteries that are no skill random luck gambling is ok, but skilled sports betting is not?

People will do a lot of things whether its legal or not. Is that the standard for whether something should be legal?

TJDave
08-26-2015, 04:22 PM
Don't forget Guido and Vinnie.
They hate that offshore crap, too.

If it would help, I know a couple of Jewish bookies.

Tom
08-26-2015, 10:25 PM
People will do a lot of things whether its legal or not. Is that the standard for whether something should be legal?

Yes.
They are supposed to represent us.

AndyC
08-26-2015, 10:49 PM
Yes.
They are supposed to represent us.

Why have representatives? Just take a poll.