PDA

View Full Version : 3000 win tickets for Smarty

depalma13
06-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Some idiot actually bought 3000 $2 win tickets on Smarty today, that he was going to sell on Ebay! He was going to make a fortune! Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!

Dick Schmidt
06-05-2004, 10:57 PM
NBC reported that it was 6,000. Whatever, those few who bet on the winner should thank him.

Dick

Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.

NoDayJob
06-05-2004, 11:34 PM
If he had used the morning line for proportional betting, excluding Smarty, he would have made almost 3-1 on his money. Ah, what greed will do. He'll sell them as a momento for $2.50 each. EBay will get their cut and he'll break about even.

NDJ

Steve 'StatMan'
06-05-2004, 11:48 PM
Funny - Win tickets on Smarty Jones that would have paid $2.40 had he won. The place price, thanks to Birdstone, was $3.30 in NY, and $3.20 in IL. I'm not sure if I can call it much of an overlay, but it was a better deal than betting to win on Smarty. Glad my friend pointed it out, I took advantage of it and bet Smarty to place today. Maybe I shouldn't admit in public that I hammered the chalk in the place pool, but it was a better deal that worked out today.

nomadpat
06-06-2004, 12:26 AM
I did the exact same thing, no need to worry about admitting it in public :)
I was charting the place probables and unless Rock Hard Ten finished second, he was paying better to place than to win! I wasn't sold on RHT placing, so a 1/5 shot had value to place!
Definitely not the normal modus operandi but it made a profit while enjoying the race :)