PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to the Travers on Saturday?

letswastemoney
08-22-2015, 05:17 PM
I plan to go...it would be my first time at Saratoga (I lived in Southern California for most of my life).

What do I need to see before I leave?

Why is the place magical?

tanner12oz
08-22-2015, 05:31 PM
I'll be there.

place has a carnival kinda vibe. Very laid back and mellow. Lots of nooks,and crannies to explore. World class racing of course.

mabred
08-22-2015, 08:05 PM
ask "Zaf " he said it was magical

thespaah
08-22-2015, 11:07 PM
I plan to go...it would be my first time at Saratoga (I lived in Southern California for most of my life).

The historic nature of the facility is number one for me.
The traditions and customs of Saratoga, another.
Plus save for a few who overindulge on adult beverages, the people are just nicer. Civility reigns.
This is the only track where the fans applaud every rider and horse when it returns to the winner's circle.
In my experience, this is the only track I've been to where the jockey's have to walk through the public areas to get from the track back to the jock's quarters.
Some of them even stop and sign autographs on their way back. Mostly for kids though.....If a fan asks, they will sometimes allow fans to take pictures with them......It's just a cool place.
Oh, the eye candy is on an a level which probably only Del Mar can compare.

Grits
08-23-2015, 12:35 AM

Allow yourself time in your planning. Traffic was a bear...entering and leaving the racetrack today including all areas surrounding it. This will be even worse next Saturday--whether AP is here or not. Saturdays are tough in Saratoga. If you know short cuts, use them.

Tor Ekman
08-23-2015, 03:51 AM

Travers Day is probably not the best day for a first visit to Saratoga, be prepared for crowded scene. Speaking from experience, my first visit years ago was on Whitney Day, came away with a not so positive experience, went back next time for an early August Wednesday thru Friday visit and was able to really soak things in, from getting out to track for early morning workouts to taking in the town and biking around the beautiful State Park, much more pleasant experience.

tanner12oz
08-23-2015, 07:21 AM
My first experience was last years Travers and in my opinion its more well run then other big days (Belmont, preakness). Obviously its bigger then your average Monday at toga and you might not have an "intimate" experience but it was manageable at the Travers last year which is something I can't always say about Belmont and pimlico

thespaah
08-23-2015, 04:15 PM
Allow yourself time in your planning. Traffic was a bear...entering and leaving the racetrack today including all areas surrounding it. This will be even worse next Saturday--whether AP is here or not. Saturdays are tough in Saratoga. If you know short cuts, use them.
Good points!...
I stay off the main routes, cutting through the surrounding neighborhood to get away from the track.
Going north. Skip trying to get over to the Northway( I-87)..Use Rte 9
Going south. Head over to the Crescent Ave ramp to I-87 south

BlinkersOn
08-23-2015, 10:10 PM

I hope you have a ticket, because they are completely sold out for the Traver's. If you do have a ticket, enjoy.

Ocala Mike
08-24-2015, 02:16 PM
My daughter and son-in-law have $75 tickets that they purchased weeks ago, and are flying up for a long weekend. I believe they're staying in Amsterdam, NY. Not their first rodeo; no kids, so they can travel as they please.

The Hawk
08-24-2015, 09:38 PM
This is the only track where the fans applaud every rider and horse when it returns to the winner's circle.

Oh, the eye candy is on an a level which probably only Del Mar can compare.

That happens at Keeneland.

And you have to be kidding, Del Mar blows Saratoga away when it comes to eye candy, as does Keeneland.