PDA

View Full Version : THE RICE FAMILY

v j stauffer
08-21-2015, 05:39 PM
Must really really love Taylor because she is costing them hundreds of thousands of dollars.

EMD4ME
08-21-2015, 07:09 PM
Must really really love Taylor because she is costing them hundreds of thousands of dollars.

My feelings exactly.....She is a detriment to every horse she rides. At best 97.9% of the horses she rides.

Tara73
08-23-2015, 01:00 AM
So what was wrong with her ride on Don't Be So Salty??

salty
08-23-2015, 02:14 AM
Well for starters she lost. :D

EMD4ME
08-23-2015, 08:17 AM

On the day Don't Be So Salty won his maiden , there were 3 Turf Sprints:

In His race for 2 YR OLD MDSPWT's, they went:

21.43 44.59 56.65 102.73

2 YR OLD STATEBRED MDSPWT's went:

21.84 45.41 57.03 103.06

4 UP Fillies 100K Stake went:

21.08 43.42 54.89 100.82

Don't Be So Salthy's maiden win featured a Very Good first quarter, a Hotter 2nd quarter, with a slowwww come home.

Taylor actually had a perfect trip in the second pocket, the race fell apart and she didn't make a mistake or hit a tree. She angled out with aplomb, no real traffic and the horse passed tired horses.

That is the only way Taylor can win a race. Race falls apart, she gets a perfect trip, she gets up in a chaos result.

In Friday's race, her horse was a throw a out, despite the field being very weak (the winner came out of the State Bred race mentioned above on August 2nd and his race was .33 seconds slower....), Taylor's horse broke well and it was the EPITOME of why she shouldn't have a jockey's license.

She was involved in a race where it went soft to the 1st and 2nd quarters and very slow in the last 3/16th's.

Her horse should have been rated off the 7 (Wesley had a horse run earlier in the week that travelled the same trip the 7 did-to Europe and back). They had identical form and that horse bombed after hitting the lead in a walk earlier in the week.

If she actually had any power she could've sat 2nd and then muscled her horse past Ward's horse AND held off the slow charging winner.

But she doesn't have power, hands, a pump, a steering whip in her aresenal SO....what happened is the result of what happens when you let a horse go out on it's own and just run around a circle with no jockey assistance.

He kind of dueled inside and NO help from his jock in trying to OUTSLOW, not outfight 2 foes.

That poor horse has Chavez on him, he wins by 5.

Taylor's other choice was to go and go hard. But again, she can't do that. She has absolutely ZERO power in her hands.

No offense, she's a scarecrow and shouldn't have a jockey's license.

NY BRED
08-23-2015, 08:22 AM
AS AN FYI, SHE IS WORTH A BET WHEN SHE RIDES FOR LINDA'S
FAMILY MEMBERS.

:jump: :jump:

lamboguy
08-23-2015, 08:33 AM
she rides pretty good, still makes a few mistakes. she would have been better off riding at Presque Isle riding for her brothers, she would have been better off riding more and learning more that way. she's not ready yet to ride in a big meet like Saratoga.

salty
08-23-2015, 09:03 AM
Watch her ride on Bea Monster a couple weeks ago for Adam rice (I think). I had to bet due to 11-1 odds and the better of the two horses to have a start under their belt. I thought it was all over turning into the stretch. It looked like the whole field swallowed them up. Then the horse re rallies and wins the race. That wasn't good riding, that was a miracle. You can see on the video afterword how shocked she is that she just won. It looks like she is saying "I have no idea what just happened" and just laughing.

castaway01
08-23-2015, 09:25 AM
she rides pretty good, still makes a few mistakes. she would have been better off riding at Presque Isle riding for her brothers, she would have been better off riding more and learning more that way. she's not ready yet to ride in a big meet like Saratoga.

She's awful.

DeltaLover
08-23-2015, 09:30 AM

Even if this is true, it is simply their problem and we as handicappers can only be benefited by betting against their mounts.

GatetoWire
08-23-2015, 12:29 PM
I think she is a decent rider. Puts her horses in good position etc but she is one of the worst finishers around.
If she is in a battle with any other competent jock she always loses. It looks like that last 1/8th is just her massive Achilles heal. I've seen it way to many times the last 12 months.

Si2see
08-23-2015, 02:09 PM
Watch her ride on Bea Monster a couple weeks ago for Adam rice (I think). I had to bet due to 11-1 odds and the better of the two horses to have a start under their belt. I thought it was all over turning into the stretch. It looked like the whole field swallowed them up. Then the horse re rallies and wins the race. That wasn't good riding, that was a miracle. You can see on the video afterword how shocked she is that she just won. It looks like she is saying "I have no idea what just happened" and just laughing.

She left the rail wide open as if she wanted to lose at the top of the stretch on the best horse. I only had $10 win in the dime a day contest on this horse because she was riding. Normally I would have placed a $20 win bet and rolled in some doubles with a horse I liked this much.

I watched the race back several times and noticed this is the same move a female rider has happen in south Florida more times than I can count.. I spoke with someone about this situation and they said maybe these two females don't have the strength to keep the horses tight on the turn like 98% of races are run with a strong running horse coming into the top of the stretch. I don't think this is the case I see some women at the gym that are less than half my size and as strong as I am. These jockeys are in tip top shape and have to be very fit. Just an interesting observation

Stillriledup
08-23-2015, 03:06 PM
If she was really serious about being a rider, wouldn't she ride at a smaller circuit so she can get more polished?

thespaah
08-23-2015, 04:01 PM
I am not seeing a problem here.
If Taylor Rice is riding in a particular race, and if she is the level of incompetence that some here believe she is, then that is ONE entrant that one need not bother looking at. So in a field of 10, one only has to handicap 90% of the field.....

Stillriledup
08-23-2015, 04:21 PM
If Taylor Rice is riding in a particular race, and if she is the level of incompetence that some here believe she is, then that is ONE entrant that one need not bother looking at. So in a field of 10, one only has to handicap 90% of the field.....

The problem is that she accidentally wins once in a while.

no breathalyzer
08-23-2015, 09:14 PM
I think she is a decent rider. Puts her horses in good position etc but she is one of the worst finishers around.
If she is in a battle with any other competent jock she always loses. It looks like that last 1/8th is just her massive Achilles heal. I've seen it way to many times the last 12 months.

couldn't say it any better

pandy
08-24-2015, 08:10 AM
When handicapping, it would seem logical that you will have more winners if you stick to the top percentage riders. But I've found that over time my highest ROI wagers are not on the top riders but usually the riders who are in the second tier in terms of win percentage. Even with the low percentage riders or a rider in a slump, if I like a horse with Rice, or any rider, and the horse is a longshot, I don't hesitate to bet it.

nijinski
08-24-2015, 09:12 AM
If she was really serious about being a rider, wouldn't she ride at a smaller circuit so she can get more polished?
she rode the Hawthorne circuit with at least 6 other female jocks . I don't think she aspired to do this but came back to the family business after she graduated college .and didn't t find work , this is her own admission. she seemed to do ok with her Aunts horses at Aqueduct , She was getting live horses and never finished strong. she seems to have lost her nerves and never found that good finishing style Proud family , but for how long ?

EMD4ME
08-24-2015, 09:14 AM
How about she goes to the gym or picks up barbells 2000 X a day from now until she can finish.

There's no excuse for being an athlete and being incapable of physically exerting effort.

Stillriledup
08-24-2015, 11:15 AM
How about she goes to the gym or picks up barbells 2000 X a day from now until she can finish.

There's no excuse for being an athlete and being incapable of physically exerting effort.

I guess when Aunts and Unçles and other relatives hand you mounts on racings #1 circuit, there's no reason to do this.

EMD4ME
08-24-2015, 12:51 PM
I guess when Aunts and Unçles and other relatives hand you mounts on racings #1 circuit, there's no reason to do this.

That's terrible for them, good for the players (to know her shortcomings) and it is what it is, I guess.

Again, unless she's on a plodder/closer and you figure a collapse, she's a total throwout.

Without analyzing in detail, most of her wins are off the pace, inside/out, in collapses.

v j stauffer
08-24-2015, 05:46 PM

Being COMPLETELY overmatched through the stretch by jockeys that are vastly superior at finishing.

v j stauffer
08-24-2015, 05:50 PM
AS AN FYI, SHE IS WORTH A BET WHEN SHE RIDES FOR LINDA'S
FAMILY MEMBERS.

:jump: :jump:

Whatever price you get. The true value of the play is probably double. Even on cashes you can't take that much the worst of it and survive.

The horse that stands out in my mind other than Don't Be So Salty is Champagne Ruby.

Pull up her last two races. Especially the one two back. Not pretty.

v j stauffer
08-24-2015, 05:56 PM

The problem with that is it's still a HORSE race. Many say it's 90% horse 10% jockey. My breakdown would be more along the lines of 96-4. The vast majority of horses would still win no matter who was riding them.

It's just VERY frustrating on the times we're correct about the best horse, absent unavoidable trouble, very weak riders lose on horses that were much the best.

no breathalyzer
08-24-2015, 05:57 PM
The problem with that is it's still a HORSE race. Many say it's 90% horse 10% jockey. My breakdown would be more along the lines of 96-4. The vast majority of horses would still win no matter who was riding them.

It's just VERY frustrating on the times we're correct about the best horse, absent unavoidable trouble, very weak riders lose on horses that were much the best.

WHAT KIND OF DRUGS ARE YOU ON?

v j stauffer
08-24-2015, 06:00 PM
WHAT KIND OF DRUGS ARE YOU ON?

Flomax

no breathalyzer
08-24-2015, 06:05 PM
Flomax

You sure? i mean there's no way you can think its 96-4 horse/jockey.. it blows my mind people think this.. its prob closer to 70/30

chenoa
08-24-2015, 06:07 PM

Trying explaining some of the Rosario rides, ffs. 96-4, cmon, be realistic!!!

no breathalyzer
08-24-2015, 06:13 PM
on the grass it might be closer to 50/50 in some races if you want to get crazy here

Stillriledup
08-24-2015, 06:15 PM
You sure? i mean there's no way you can think its 96-4 horse/jockey.. it blows my mind people think this.. its prob closer to 70/30

Some say 90/10, Vic says 96/4, you say 70/30 I'm curious to hear what the 70/30 means, break it down.

EMD4ME
08-24-2015, 06:53 PM
Hard to quantify BUT,

If a jock wants to lose, it's 0% horse, 100% Jockey.

If a jock is terrible, the horse can be American Pharoah and lose 90% of the time. 10% horse-90% Jockey with those jockeys.

If a jock is Ramon Dominguez, he is the only one that 99% of the time will allow a horse to give a perfect (meaning ULTIMATE CAPABILITY) performance. Horse 50%-Jock 50%.

The rest of them will sometimes, many times, inconsistently, sporadically allow a horse to give a perfect performance. Variable % based upon if it was a great ride or an average one.

Sadly, it is more often that they make even a minor error that, even by an eyelash, takes away from a horse's possible peak performance. So, in those cases I'd say that is horse 70%-30%. 30% because they reduce performance somewhat.

In Rice's case, it's 20%-80% as the horse has to really just get lucky in a collapse to win. Otherwise, the poor horse has little to no shot.

v j stauffer
08-24-2015, 07:04 PM
Trying explaining some of the Rosario rides, ffs. 96-4, cmon, be realistic!!!

I am being realistic. Perhaps 96-4 is slightly too high. But there's ZERO chance it's anything less than 90-10.

This is a HORSE race. Horses running. A test of their abilities. Every great rider will tell you it's their job to just not get in the horses way. Give them every opportunity to do what their capable of.

There's absolutely no question Rosario is an elite rider. Perhaps the best finisher since Laffit.

However, he's not the complete package and cannot IMO be considered truly GREAT until he embraces positioning and understands the importance of saving ground.

His massive ability to out finish any rider on the NY circuit is both a blessing and a curse.

It's like a young pitcher who throws 100mph heat and strikes out 20 a game in triple A. In the the majors he gets lit up no matter how hard he throws. Until he develops a slider and change up he cannot be dominant.

Every inch a rider gives up by staying very wide must be earned back by a strong finish. If a rider is 2 1/2 lengths superior down the lane but doesn't feel the need for proper tactics his horse has to be MUCH the best just to win the photo. Often time his horses don't win that photo.

Just today his ride on Dating Lady Luck is a perfect example. If Jerry Bailey or Garrett Gomez or Julie Krone saw that ride they would have been SCREAMING at the TV.

I believe you can go to any track in the world. Put the jockey who is 10th in the standings on the horses the leading jock rides and that guy would be leading rider. If the first guy won 100 races to lead the way. The other guy would also win 100 and be on top. May not be the same 100 but the raw numbers would be very close to exactly the same.

chenoa
08-24-2015, 09:22 PM
You forgot to factor AGE into the equation. Their are certain jocks at their stage in their career who just won't take the "chance" in a race. Where the younger jock perhaps would. Of course, depends on the conditions of the race and purse!!! ;)

no breathalyzer
08-24-2015, 09:39 PM
what you 90/10 guys don't get is besides the elite guys.. every jockey has strengths and weaknesses .... like if you got a speed horse you don't mount up cornelio velasquez or the strangler aka Leparoux..or fat bowling ball eduardo perez in chicago ect..

The biggest asset being a good jockey besides a strong finish, is having a good '' clock'' in there head... way too many guys are clueless in this department and is also why the 10th leading jockey isn't gonna produce the same results as the leading jockey...

I really miss Garrett Gomez :)

EMD4ME
08-24-2015, 09:44 PM
And most jocks, like C VEL in today's 2nd, are terrible at if then thinking. They will LITERALLY SNACTCH defeat from the jaws of victory.

The 7 didn't break, C VEL had the rail and had the lead (instead of being in the pocket as projected), he isn't comfortable with success (a proactive jock with a brain would have all scenarios worked out in his brain before the gate opens), so he did what he's comfortable with, putting on the CornelioLock, didn't realize there's this white thing called a RAIL at the 1/8 pole, angled out and MOST IMPORTANTLY.......DID NOT KNOW HE WAS ON A GRINDER, NOT AN EXPLODER at 5 1/2F.

It's little details like this that make a good jockey a poor jockey.

And then they ride like they do, subtly terrible, that 90%-10% becomes 10%-90% reaaaaaaaaaally fast. Like in 2 seconds fast (the time it took him from leading inside to CHOKING BACK to the pocket)......

no breathalyzer
08-24-2015, 09:48 PM
Also forgot to add that people underestimate how important having good balance on a horse is.. i chuckle watching some of these guys at times.

I'l just add since this is a Taylor Rice thread .. is I would ride her on my horse over Channing Hill.. at least Rice has some ability and just needs to hit the weight room . she saves ground and has a better clock aswell

EMD4ME
08-24-2015, 09:51 PM
Also forgot to add that people underestimate how important having good balance on a horse is.. i chuckle watching some of these guys at times.

I'l just add since this is a Taylor Rice thread .. is I would ride her on my horse over Channing Hill.. at least Rice has some ability and just needs to hit the weight room . she saves ground and has a better clock aswell

Now, you hit new LOWS...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would put a dead jockey on my horse over CHANNING HILL!!!!!!

You make a valid point. She does save ground and does need to hit the weight room to improve.

Channing Hill.....I CRINGE when I hear the name.....

no breathalyzer
08-24-2015, 09:59 PM
I can go on and on here.. i have a list of jockeys that i simple do not bet.. and i'm talking about 2% bozo type of riders either.. lot of these guys are mid level riders and some people think are pretty good.. when i see first time ( fill in the blank) off angle that i like i bet hard.. there's been a couple in the nyra circuit over the past couple that have been cash cows :) So to sum it up i will never agree with the whole 90/10 horse/jockey theory. Anyone that does has a huge leak in there game .

EMD4ME
08-24-2015, 10:04 PM
I can go on and on here.. i have a list of jockeys that i simple do not bet.. and i'm talking about 2% bozo type of riders either.. lot of these guys are mid level riders and some people think are pretty good.. when i see first time ( fill in the blank) off angle that i like i bet hard.. there's been a couple in the nyra circuit over the past couple that have been cash cows :) So to sum it up i will never agree with the whole 90/10 horse/jockey theory. Anyone that does has a huge leak in there game .

I was never a jockey handicapper until I got older and replays became available....since then, if you don't factor in the intelligence, skills, style of a jockey, you are missing out.

Agreed.....

Robert Fischer
08-25-2015, 09:42 PM
The jockey's role is not a fixed percentage.

Any jockey in the colony can win aboard a horse like Sheik of Sheiks on Saturday 8/22 who broke on top and outruns the field. Cancel looked like Angel Cordero on Sheik of Sheiks. He's a young jock who maybe struggles in certain races when he fails to see a move or two ahead, and then other jockeys consistently beat him to the necessary position. If his horse will carry him into position, no need to discount.

Then you've got jockeys like Rice who maybe struggle to finish but are able to sit an efficient trip early on, and they are going to win pace-collapse races that other jockeys aren't.

A good solid jockey with no glaring weaknesses has little adjustment factor in a race. Some players might label a Junior Alvarado in this group. You are going to get a solid ride, probably stay out of trouble and if the horse is good, and the trip is good he'll usually do his job well.

A guy like Castellano is kind of the opposite of Cancel. He is generally going take the initiative and establish the best position. He's an all-star and he's at the top of the colony. Or you get a guy like Irad Ortiz, who is kind of like Michael Jordan when things are going well. He sees things unfold in slow motion like he's in 'the zone', to the point that horses are being confidently ridden, carrying momentum into key stages of the race.

thespaah
08-25-2015, 10:14 PM
The problem is that she accidentally wins once in a while.
That's why it's called gambling....

thespaah
08-25-2015, 10:32 PM

I agree....That's why we sometimes get burned by throwing out a good horse with a weak rider and vice versa....

v j stauffer
08-25-2015, 10:56 PM
The jockey's role is not a fixed percentage.

Any jockey in the colony can win aboard a horse like Sheik of Sheiks on Saturday 8/22 who broke on top and outruns the field. Cancel looked like Angel Cordero on Sheik of Sheiks. He's a young jock who maybe struggles in certain races when he fails to see a move or two ahead, and then other jockeys consistently beat him to the necessary position. If his horse will carry him into position, no need to discount.

Then you've got jockeys like Rice who maybe struggle to finish but are able to sit an efficient trip early on, and they are going to win pace-collapse races that other jockeys aren't.

A good solid jockey with no glaring weaknesses has little adjustment factor in a race. Some players might label a Junior Alvarado in this group. You are going to get a solid ride, probably stay out of trouble and if the horse is good, and the trip is good he'll usually do his job well.

A guy like Castellano is kind of the opposite of Cancel. He is generally going take the initiative and establish the best position. He's an all-star and he's at the top of the colony. Or you get a guy like Irad Ortiz, who is kind of like Michael Jordan when things are going well. He sees things unfold in slow motion like he's in 'the zone', to the point that horses are being confidently ridden, carrying momentum into key stages of the race.

I think this is an excellent post. What you describe as the job and nuances of a good and or great jockey all have the same underlying theme.

Be as good a passenger as possible. Don't get in the horses way. Give your mount the best possible chance to show it's true ability.

:ThmbUp:

v j stauffer
08-25-2015, 11:01 PM
I agree....That's why we sometimes get burned by throwing out a good horse with a weak rider and vice versa....

We have the program every race. It lists who the jockeys are on each runner. Mistakes and great rides tend to cancel each other out. If we choose to take a horse mounted by a rider we strongly believe to be inferior it's our decision.

We must have our own internal shopping list on odds. We must get a higher price when we make the concession.

We CANNOT bitch about bad or weak rides after the fact.

We had the program.

BMustang
08-25-2015, 11:06 PM
Now, you hit new LOWS...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would put a dead jockey on my horse over CHANNING HILL!!!!!!

You make a valid point. She does save ground and does need to hit the weight room to improve.

Channing Hill.....I CRINGE when I hear the name.....

WOW!!! I am shocked to hear this from an educated horse player.

I have always felt that Channing Hill is one of the best kept secrets in our game. While riding the NY circuit, I thought that he was one of the best "off the pace" riders out there. A guy who does not depend on the whip, gives a horse a hard hand ride through the stretch and normally timed his rides well.

In my personal opinion he is as strong and closing hand-rider as is Joel Rosario whio I think is one of the best "hand riders" in the busines.

In the final sixteenth, I don't want to see my rider continuing to use the whip, when the horse is not responding, or worse yet, waving the stick at him and a hard-riding Rosario or Hill type go sweeping past.

I'm sure you can quote me all kinds of percentages against Channing Hill, but again, in my personal opinion, if given the same quality mounts as the top riders on the circuit he would be among the top jocks.

He has since gotten Wayne Catalono's daughter in a family way, and is now riding top call for him off of the NY circuit.

Call me crazy! I'm a big Channing Hill fan.

Stillriledup
08-26-2015, 12:32 AM

I have always felt that Channing Hill is one of the best kept secrets in our game. While riding the NY circuit, I thought that he was one of the best "off the pace" riders out there. A guy who does not depend on the whip, gives a horse a hard hand ride through the stretch and normally timed his rides well.

In my personal opinion he is as strong and closing hand-rider as is Joel Rosario whio I think is one of the best "hand riders" in the busines.

In the final sixteenth, I don't want to see my rider continuing to use the whip, when the horse is not responding, or worse yet, waving the stick at him and a hard-riding Rosario or Hill type go sweeping past.

I'm sure you can quote me all kinds of percentages against Channing Hill, but again, in my personal opinion, if given the same quality mounts as the top riders on the circuit he would be among the top jocks.

He has since gotten Wayne Catalono's daughter in a family way, and is now riding top call for him off of the NY circuit.

Welcome to the board Channing! :D

EMD4ME
08-26-2015, 07:20 AM

You should have been there when after every race, and I mean every race, I stood over the Aqueduct paddock and I would scream out: MISTAKE #1, you rushed 4 wide into the clubhouse turn when no other horse was 3 wide. MISTAKE #2 you're on a stone closer who wasted energy wide into the clubhouse turn. MISTAKE #3, you saved ground on the backstretch and stretch but went WIDE ON TURNS. Did you ever finish 2nd grade GEOMETRY???

He had enough of me and kept telling me he's going to come up and kick my BLANK.

I kept telling him, the only thing that will happen if you come up here is you'll become a better jockey!!!!

He left town.

no breathalyzer
08-26-2015, 08:50 AM
Welcome to the board Channing! :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pandy
08-26-2015, 08:52 AM
People often have completely different opinions on jockeys. Personally, I think some jockeys are overrated and some are underrated. Most are professional but basically average. A common mistake I see, many jockeys over ride horses, they hustle the run out of the horse. Occasionally a truly gifted rider like a Julie Krone comes along who can just let a horse relax into its own stride and run the race the way it wants and the horse runs its eyeballs out, but riders with a true natural talent like that are rare. I prefer the jockeys that let the horse run in its natural stride. Mike Smith does it well.

From a gambling perspective, if you want to get big hits keyed by longshots or really any horse above $10, you have to be careful about putting too much emphasis on jockeys when handicapping. Yes, if you only bet the top jocks you will cash more tickets, but the middle range jockeys (in terms of win percentage) offer great value.

Some of you who followed harness racing may have heard of The Redman, Carmine Abbatiello. He retired over a decade ago but he was the best I've ever seen because horses literally went faster for him, but he didn't appear to be pushing them. I interviewed him at length and he told me that when a horse has speed it's a crime to choke that speed out of him. He told me that all you're doing is helping the other drivers. Carmine would go to the lead and let the horse set its own pace. Often the pace was fast and you'd think the horse would quit, but it didn't. Carmine won more races on the lead than any driver in his day. But he was also brilliant from off the pace, for the same reason. With a closer, he'd let the horse relax into its natural stride, keep the horse alert with a teasing soft whip on its tail, then when he called on the horse for its run the horse would explode. Of course he had a gift, and you can't teach that.

burnsy
08-26-2015, 09:13 AM
From a gambling perspective, if you want to get big hits keyed by longshots or really any horse above $10, you have to be careful about putting too much emphasis on jockeys when handicapping. Yes, if you only bet the top jocks you will cash more tickets, but the middle range jockeys (in terms of win percentage) offer great value.

Shhhhh, I've cashed on every jockey riding this meet at Saratoga....with the exception of Taylor Rice (subject of this thread). The thing is you don't get mounts here unless you can ride pretty good, not all of them are great but almost all of them can win with the right horse. The jock is like 5% of the deal unless they mess up which I've seen even Irad do and the guy has over 40 wins. I usually laugh at people that bitch about jockeys because all the ones here are really good with a few exceptions. People sit there and act like these folks are driving vehicles....its a horse, in a pack of horses.....horses outweigh the jock by over ten times and have their own mind...........people can't seem to wrap their head around it and its as hard as hitting a baseball that's going 90 miles per hour, that's why the averages are similar. People seem to think its easy. If it is they should take a mount and try it.

pandy
08-26-2015, 10:04 AM
Shhhhh, I've cashed on every jockey riding this meet at Saratoga....with the exception of Taylor Rice (subject of this thread). The thing is you don't get mounts here unless you can ride pretty good, not all of them are great but almost all of them can win with the right horse. The jock is like 5% of the deal unless they mess up which I've seen even Irad do and the guy has over 40 wins. I usually laugh at people that bitch about jockeys because all the ones here are really good with a few exceptions. People sit there and act like these folks are driving vehicles....its a horse, in a pack of horses.....horses outweigh the jock by over ten times and have their own mind...........people can't seem to wrap their head around it and its as hard as hitting a baseball that's going 90 miles per hour, that's why the averages are similar. People seem to think its easy. If it is they should take a mount and try it.

I agree with you. Every top rider has more than their share of bad rides, and it certainly isn't as easy as it looks to control these powerful horses.

no breathalyzer
08-26-2015, 11:48 AM

i agree with everything you said except the 5% part

Stillriledup
08-26-2015, 04:47 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought you'd get a kick out of that! :D

no breathalyzer
08-26-2015, 05:06 PM
:ThmbUp: Rosario just showed everyone why he the best finisher in the game :) C Hill would of been beaten by lengths in that same scenario

Stillriledup
08-26-2015, 05:16 PM
:ThmbUp: Rosario just showed everyone why he the best finisher in the game :) C Hill would of been beaten by lengths in that same scenario

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83782&highlight=Dominican+dandy

v j stauffer
08-26-2015, 08:39 PM

Very much agree. Knock on Channing isn't necessary. But that was Joel's wheelhouse.

His awesome finishing abilities carried the day in that race. Only jock in the room that would have won that race with that trip.

no breathalyzer
08-26-2015, 08:45 PM
Very much agree. Knock on Channing isn't necessary. But that was Joel's wheelhouse.

His awesome finishing abilities carried the day in that race. Only jock in the room that would have won that race with that trip.

You rite fill in the ------------ i have a list of Hill types that i watch

thespaah
08-26-2015, 09:37 PM
We have the program every race. It lists who the jockeys are on each runner. Mistakes and great rides tend to cancel each other out. If we choose to take a horse mounted by a rider we strongly believe to be inferior it's our decision.

We must have our own internal shopping list on odds. We must get a higher price when we make the concession.

We CANNOT bitch about bad or weak rides after the fact.

We had the program.
"we choose"
"We cannot bitch about bad or weak rides".
BINGO!!!!
Spot on!

EMD4ME
08-26-2015, 10:08 PM
Wait a second guys....Before I ask, I'll state this, I bet horses not jockeys BUT I do have to understand the traits of the jocks and that is factored in (C VEL has a massive Cornelio Lock, Taylor can't pump etc.).

What if you constantly bet horses as trips back, have a SUPPOSED top jock and CONSISTENTLY get assinine, terrible, incompetent rides?

Am I not allowed to RIGHTFULLY complain???

Before you ask, I'll give you an example:

Jai Alia. BLANKETY BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK Jose Ortiz took this horse and PROACTIVELY DRAGGED him to a dead rail 1 stride into his July 25th start. He rode the dead rail as if it was a gold rail that day.

I crushed him this past Saturday. He's behind a 4 or 5 horse duel, if he actually knew how to read PP's (which are in a universal language, last I checked) he SHOULD KNOW Sidearm is his main danger (stone closer behind him). He has a chance to get off the TERRIBLE INSIDE paths on the backstretch.

Genius stays near the inside, gets caught in a jackpot check at the 3/16 as he's loaded with HORSE, checks out of it, darts to a dead rail AFTER he gets past by the closers (RACE WAS OVER).

GALLOPS OUT 15, FIFTEEN LENTGHS IN FRONT.

Am I NOT ALLOWED TO CURSE HIS NAME IN VEIN EVERY DAY for the rest of my life?

You name a jock, especially the ones who are "SO GREAT", in the eyes of most players, I'll point out HUNDREDS OF COMPLETELY BONEHEAD rides that they have.

In situations like this, how can you NOT BURST A BLOOD vessel?

no breathalyzer
08-26-2015, 10:22 PM
Wait a second guys....Before I ask, I'll state this, I bet horses not jockeys BUT I do have to understand the traits of the jocks and that is factored in (C VEL has a massive Cornelio Lock, Taylor can't pump etc.).

What if you constantly bet horses as trips back, have a SUPPOSED top jock and CONSISTENTLY get assinine, terrible, incompetent rides?

Jai Alia. BLANKETY BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK Jose Ortiz took this horse and PROACTIVELY DRAGGED him to a dead rail 1 stride into his July 25th start. He rode the dead rail as if it was a gold rail that day.

I crushed him this past Saturday. He's behind a 4 or 5 horse duel, if he actually knew how to read PP's (which are in a universal language, last I checked) he SHOULD KNOW Sidearm is his main danger (stone closer behind him). He has a chance to get off the TERRIBLE INSIDE paths on the backstretch.

Genius stays near the inside, gets caught in a jackpot check at the 3/16 as he's loaded with HORSE, checks out of it, darts to a dead rail AFTER he gets past by the closers (RACE WAS OVER).

You name a jock, especially the ones who are "SO GREAT", in the eyes of most players, I'll point out HUNDREDS OF COMPLETELY BONEHEAD rides that they have.

Jose shits the bed a lot more then you would think trust me. everyone knows hes not nearly as good as his brother... all you can do is double up on him next start and hope for the best :D ... funny you mention him cause not so long ago i thought he was better then he is.. till a much respected handicapper i know pointed out all the mistakes this guy makes.. its real easy to over look these things when you aint paying great detail to each race and you don't watch back these replays multi-able times.

EMD4ME
08-26-2015, 10:38 PM
Jose shits the bed a lot more then you would think trust me. everyone knows hes not nearly as good as his brother... all you can do is double up on him next start and hope for the best :D ... funny you mention him cause not so long ago i thought he was better then he is.. till a much respected handicapper i know pointed out all the mistakes this guy makes.. its real easy to over look these things when you aint paying great detail to each race and you don't watch back these replays multi-able times.

I watch all NYRA replays 7-10 times over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. pan and head on.

I used to be on track with binocs, not anymore, so, more replays are needed.

He is terribly over rated.

I'll never forget his ride in a race in 2013 at the SPA. 4 horse vicious duel (head and head, no breathers). I had a $30 ex box of him with 3 other long shots. His horse was 30/1/. 6F race. Track was fair, no biases to speak of.

He's 5th in the garden spot, 5 off the duel, 4 in front of the rest. He is on a stalker, not a need the leader. Bonehead IDIOT is pumping away like the wire is at the 1/2 mile pole. (Taking starch out of the horse, wasting energy). He stays 5 WIDE the entire far turn (he rode like he thought his horse was going to make up 5 in 1 stride and like he wanted to make sure he didn't get checked while getting by-hence the 5 wide run).

He took the starch out of the horse (strach meaning finishing kick). The winner rides the rail around the far turn (after relaxing early) comes up the rail and wins at 20/1.

I have no problem with that as I had a $30 box of the winner with Jose Ortiz's horse.

HOWEVER, as he grinds by the 4 or 5 speeds (and the winner is coming up the rail HE REFUSED TO TAKE), he get nostrilized right on the wire from behind by another horse who sat inside and angled out for the stretch drive to nail me (of course that was the 4/5 chalk).

A 10 pound apprentice (in their 1st mount, EVER)would have rode that race better.

Exacta was paying about $800 in an 8 horse field, if I remember correctly.

$12,000 in the garbage as this idiot snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

no breathalyzer
08-26-2015, 10:44 PM
I watch all NYRA replays 7-10 times over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. pan and head on.

I'll never forget his ride in a race in 2013 at the SPA. 4 horse vicious duel (head and head, no breathers). I had a $30 ex box of him with 3 other long shots. His horse was 30/1/. 6F race. Track was fair, no biases to speak of.

He's 5th in the garden spot, 5 off the duel, 4 in front of the rest. He is on a stalker, not a need the leader. Bonehead IDIOT is pumping away like the wire is at the 1/2 mile pole. (Taking starch out of the horse, wasting energy). He stays 5 WIDE the entire far turn (he rode like he thought his horse was going to make up 5 in 1 stride and like he wanted to make sure he didn't get checked while getting by-hence the 5 wide run).

He took the starch out of the horse (strach meaning finishing kick). The winner rides the rail around the far turn (after relaxing early) comes up the rail and wins at 20/1.

I have no problem with that as I had a $30 box of the winner with Jose Ortiz's horse.

HOWEVER, as he grinds by the 4 or 5 speeds (and the winner is coming up the rail HE REFUSED TO TAKE), he get nostrilized right on the wire from behind by another horse who sat inside and angled out for the stretch drive to nail me (of course that was the 4/5 chalk).

A 10 pound apprentice (in their 1st mount, EVER)would have rode that race better.

He was young back in 2013 ;) hes still learning :lol:

EMD4ME
08-26-2015, 11:00 PM
He was young back in 2013 ;) hes still learning :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ohhhhh...he's learned enough, his ring leader is helping him make a ton.....

Also, it's amazing, even when the money is seriously down (for them to win) they still screw it up many times.

Stupifies my brain.

Stillriledup
08-26-2015, 11:18 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ohhhhh...he's learned enough, his ring leader is helping him make a ton.....

Also, it's amazing, even when the money is seriously down (for them to win) they still screw it up many times.

Stupifies my brain.

Jockeys get mounts because they weigh 115, not because they are smart.

Stillriledup
08-26-2015, 11:27 PM

Good write up!

I think what irks me more than an unlucky ride is a ride that shows its pretty obvious the jock didnt know every nook, cranny and nuance that all his competition has. Just didnt know the situation and wasnt thinking like a serious horseplayer who spends countless hours preparing.

Just weigh 115 is all these guys and gals have to worry about, if they ride a 'good race' it's by accident.

I don't mind a tough trip that happens while the jock made the right move, it's the clueless about the situation stuff that gets me riled up the most.

pandy
08-27-2015, 12:01 AM
Instead of knocking riders, we should be knocking trainers. Some of these trainers must be idiots. Think of how often you see a horse that obviously prefers sprinting repeatedly running in routes, or dirt horses running on turf. Or horses that are constantly raced over their heads. Another one that drives me nuts is when a two year breaks it maiden in his first start and runs a mediocre figure and then they keep running it in grades stakes races until the horse is so mentally gone that it never wins another race. And that's just for starters, we could start several threads a day pointing out dumb things that trainers do.

v j stauffer
08-27-2015, 12:31 AM

Some good points. Just one thing. No such thing as a four or five horse duel. Duel means two.

Just sayin. :)

EMD4ME
08-27-2015, 12:36 AM
Instead of knocking riders, we should be knocking trainers. Some of these trainers must be idiots. Think of how often you see a horse that obviously prefers sprinting repeatedly running in routes, or dirt horses running on turf. Or horses that are constantly raced over their heads. Another one that drives me nuts is when a two year breaks it maiden in his first start and runs a mediocre figure and then they keep running it in grades stakes races until the horse is so mentally gone that it never wins another race. And that's just for starters, we could start several threads a day pointing out dumb things that trainers do.

There a lot of those examples out there. Sometimes I'd like to think they do it on purpose to cover a horse's form up, to cash a ticket when going.

But yes, the thread could go on for infinity :D

EMD4ME
08-27-2015, 12:38 AM
Some good points. Just one thing. No such thing as a four or five horse duel. Duel means two.

Just sayin. :)

:D I majored in accounting and finance, hated the verbal part of my SAT's LOL. :lol:

So, what should I call a 4 horse spread across the track, where all 4 horses are flying, giving it their all early?

EMD4ME
08-27-2015, 12:40 AM
Jockeys get mounts because they weigh 115, not because they are smart.

Yes, except for the Ramon's, Bailey's and some others.

EMD4ME
08-27-2015, 12:42 AM
Good write up!

I think what irks me more than an unlucky ride is a ride that shows its pretty obvious the jock didnt know every nook, cranny and nuance that all his competition has. Just didnt know the situation and wasnt thinking like a serious horseplayer who spends countless hours preparing.

Just weigh 115 is all these guys and gals have to worry about, if they ride a 'good race' it's by accident.

I don't mind a tough trip that happens while the jock made the right move, it's the clueless about the situation stuff that gets me riled up the most.

Very true SRU. That's my #1 complaint, their lack of quality consistency. One race they look like geniuses, the next their glued to a dead rail proactively on a live horse.

Wish I weighed 115. I guaranty I'd bat 35% on any circuit.

ReplayRandall
08-27-2015, 12:48 AM
Very true SRU. That's my #1 complaint, their lack of quality consistency. One race they look like geniuses, the next their glued to a dead rail proactively on a live horse.

You're better off being an agent and teaching them...Big $$ if you find one with a brain, but I think the smart one's are all taken... :cool:

no breathalyzer
08-27-2015, 01:01 AM
I met a couple jockey agents before. the one in particular didn't seem to smart honestly.. almost certain, he doesn't book mounts for this jockey anymore

EMD4ME
08-27-2015, 01:08 AM
You're better off being an agent and teaching them...Big $$ if you find one with a brain, but I think the smart one's are all taken... :cool:

I WISH RR :)

Help me become a jockey agent, I'll give you 10% of my 10% (Almost like the % Boss Hogg would give Roscoe :lol: :lol: :lol: but....better.)

EMD4ME
08-27-2015, 01:11 AM

I'd force them to do the handicapping work that I/we do.

I'd force mine to watch 5 hours of replays a day.

If he didn't have the passion for it, I'd manage him/inspire him the way I inspire my people in the corporate world.

My boy would know biases, have competitor's silks memorized, know who to follow in a race, who not to.

I'd quiz him all day on "what if's".

Ah to dream.....but not gonna happen :(

Stillriledup
08-27-2015, 01:13 AM
:D I majored in accounting and finance, hated the verbal part of my SAT's LOL. :lol:

So, what should I call a 4 horse spread across the track, where all 4 horses are flying, giving it their all early?

A duel.

Stillriledup
08-27-2015, 01:14 AM

They look like geniuses the same way a guy with holes in his shoes looks after he hits the lottery. :D

v j stauffer
08-27-2015, 01:20 AM
I WISH RR :)

Help me become a jockey agent, I'll give you 10% of my 10% (Almost like the % Boss Hogg would give Roscoe :lol: :lol: :lol: but....better.)

Good news. Agents make 25%.

chenoa
08-27-2015, 01:21 AM

It's called a SET UP!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

v j stauffer
08-27-2015, 01:23 AM
They look like geniuses the same way a guy with holes in his shoes looks after he hits the lottery. :D

Every day when I read your drivel I find myself thinking of new words to describe you.

Today's selection is................

PONDEROUS

EMD4ME
08-27-2015, 01:30 AM
A duel.

:D :D :D

no breathalyzer
08-27-2015, 01:30 AM
I'd force them to do the handicapping work that I/we do.

I'd force mine to watch 5 hours of replays a day.

If he didn't have the passion for it, I'd manage him/inspire him the way I inspire my people in the corporate world.

My boy would know biases, have competitor's silks memorized, know who to follow in a race, who not to.

I'd quiz him all day on "what if's".

Ah to dream.....but not gonna happen :(

Don't all agents do this :rolleyes:

EMD4ME
08-27-2015, 01:32 AM
Good news. Agents make 25%.

OMG, now RR must help ME! 25% ???

WOW.....Shoot, I'll give anyone 10% of my 25% for the first 2 years of employment if someone could help me be a jockey agent.

Shoot, I already know a ton of people at NYRA anyway.

Any takers???

EMD4ME
08-27-2015, 01:33 AM
It's called a SET UP!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Darn right !!! :lol:

EMD4ME
08-27-2015, 01:34 AM
Don't all agents do this :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's evident :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EMD4ME
08-27-2015, 01:36 AM
Vic, I was serious. What should I call, what I now call a 4 horse duel? I ask sincerely.

v j stauffer
08-27-2015, 01:38 AM
OMG, now RR must help ME! 25% ???

WOW.....Shoot, I'll give anyone 10% of my 25% for the first 2 years of employment if someone could help me be a jockey agent.

Shoot, I already know a ton of people at NYRA anyway.

Any takers???

Come to California. I can get you hooked up. Warning. Nothing in life is ever as easy as it looks.

Good agents earn every nickel they make.

v j stauffer
08-27-2015, 01:42 AM
Vic, I was serious. What should I call, what I now call a 4 horse duel? I ask sincerely.

I described it some different ways. Scramble, 3,4,5 way early battle, mixing it up, contested. Different ways to say the same thing and hopefully paint a picture.

EMD4ME
08-27-2015, 01:44 AM
Come to California. I can get you hooked up. Warning. Nothing in life is ever as easy as it looks.

Good agents earn every nickel they make.

I worked 60 hours a week as a VP, before I became a 40 hour VP and a full time nurse for my "destroyed by a car as a pedestrian, then by the hospital mom" while I spend 30 plus hours a week watching film.

I humbly say I can DO IT ;)

EMD4ME
08-27-2015, 01:45 AM
Every day when I read your drivel I find myself thinking of new words to describe you.

Today's selection is................

PONDEROUS

I feel an SRU youtube response coming up....I can't WAIT :D

no breathalyzer
08-27-2015, 01:45 AM
i call it Quarter horsing, or incompetence

Stillriledup
08-27-2015, 04:35 AM
I feel an SRU youtube response coming up....I can't WAIT :D

Vic runs to his computer in the morning to see what SRU said the night before. Maybe he can film himself running thru the hall and post it up! :ThmbUp:

lamboguy
08-27-2015, 06:31 AM

Good agents earn every nickel they make.you actually were the foundation of 2 very good riders, Rosario and Garcia. when they first started i couldn't believe the horses you got those guys on, now they are stars in the game and both are excellent riders.

v j stauffer
08-27-2015, 11:38 AM
you actually were the foundation of 2 very good riders, Rosario and Garcia. when they first started i couldn't believe the horses you got those guys on, now they are stars in the game and both are excellent riders.

I was along for the ride for a short time. It was inevitable those guys became stars.

Fortunately I don't think I did anything to hinder their progress.

EMD4ME
08-27-2015, 12:18 PM
I was along for the ride for a short time. It was inevitable those guys became stars.

Fortunately I don't think I did anything to hinder their progress.

Very humble Vic, good man :ThmbUp: . Great job with them.

PaceAdvantage
08-30-2015, 04:14 PM
Vic runs to his computer in the morning to see what SRU said the night before. Maybe he can film himself running thru the hall and post it up! :ThmbUp:Maybe you guys can take your sideshow to private message instead.

Stillriledup
08-30-2015, 08:10 PM
Maybe you guys can take your sideshow to private message instead.

Sideshow? I've always kept it classy bossman, check out post 80, I was just responding to that specific message.

NorCalGreg
08-31-2015, 02:29 AM
Even if this is true, it is simply their problem and we as handicappers can only be benefited by betting against their mounts.

I really don't see why these seemingly normal people can't see what you so easily summed up in one sentence, Delta. I don't get it, man. Sure, complain about a ride or a particular jockey for a minute--then move on! If a rider stinks, make a note of it--but you don't make a career out of bitching about it.

Robert Fischer
08-31-2015, 09:05 AM
Some of these rides have just been AMAZING.

I've had a chance to play Saratoga meet regularly for a month or so, and that, along with the HD feed has really "brought out" the riders into 3D. Castellano really turned his game up recently. He's had some live horses, but some were underlays and some were one of several contenders and his timing and placement have been amazing. Saez won a race the other day where he came-out off the rail and intimidated a rival, but didn't foul and won the race. Part of his own pick3 in winning three consecutive races.

Here is one of my favorite recent rides. It's not a winning ride. It's certainly not a horse that I will bet back. I'll be looking to bet against the horse next out if possible. Watch Irad Ortiz on #4 :4:Selenite. Set the youtube quality to 1080 if possible. Very close to perfection. You could give riders a time machine and as many tries as they want, and they may not duplicate this:

a-ioMAZejFo

no breathalyzer
08-31-2015, 08:53 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/la-verdad-tests-positive-for-clenbuterol-after-honorable-miss/

No one has commented on this yet or i'm i blind?

cj
08-31-2015, 08:53 PM
Guess she should have scratched that day.

chenoa
08-31-2015, 09:25 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/la-verdad-tests-positive-for-clenbuterol-after-honorable-miss/

No one has commented on this yet or i'm i blind?

Wow!!!! Smells bad, doesn't look very good at all. Another cheater exposed? :cool:

no breathalyzer
09-01-2015, 04:08 PM
lol no one gonna comment on this :confused: if this were Jacobson there would be 5 pages long already

maybe i should of started it's own thread .. but really no one else has made one either?

Stillriledup
09-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Wow!!!! Smells bad, doesn't look very good at all. Another cheater exposed? :cool:

Seems to be the case.

no breathalyzer
09-22-2015, 05:58 PM
Seems to be the case.

i'l give credit were credit is due... Nice ride by Taylor Rice there 2nd race at Presque isle just now.. saved the ground and finished nicely

Stillriledup
09-22-2015, 06:05 PM
i'l give credit were credit is due... Nice ride by Taylor Rice there 2nd race at Presque isle just now.. saved the ground and finished nicely

She's in her element there, she needs to rack up some wins and get some confidence, good start.

SuperPickle
09-30-2015, 04:53 PM
Today's 8th was another Taylor Race masterpiece.

The horse would have won with just about anyone else.

AND the kicker is it was a rare non-Rice family trained horse.

Stillriledup
09-30-2015, 04:59 PM

Right? I bet small on her win n place but my bet goes up 10x with ANYONE else.

v j stauffer
09-30-2015, 05:07 PM

Very Sharp Post

no breathalyzer
09-30-2015, 05:58 PM
I knew rite away this post was gonna get bumped after seeing that race :lol: i wasn't watching to closely at Bel today and i didn't even know who was riding that horse at the time when i caught the stretch run and sure enough...... ;)

Stillriledup
10-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Must really really love Taylor and Cornelio because she is costing them hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Updated your original post a touch!

Must be nice to have so much money u can keep using TR and CV to ride. Must be nice.