PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Friday, August 21

Teach
08-21-2015, 12:02 PM
Race One:

:3: Surfspun appears to be “the logical”. I repeat: “appears to be ‘the logical’” This gelding’s hit the tote in all seven of his most recent starts. However, only one of those was a win. This 5-year-old has faced much better; I would even go so far as to say that this is a “suspicious” drop into this 25k claimer. Yet, this gelding will benefit from wet-track conditions. Solid wet-track lineage, e.g., Danzig, Malibu Moon. Eric Cancel is reliable pilot (he still has his “bug”). Yet Cancel’s tailed off some from his up-and-coming spring-summer Belmont meet. Trainer Jeremiah Englehart does well in most racing categories. I know that hedging dilutes, but I’m tempted - based on this horse’s penchant to be a “bridesmaid” - to “buy insurance” by back-wheeling in exotics.

Others: 2, 4, 1

Race Two:

:8: Grandpa’s Princess gets my tepid nod in this 7-furlongs dirt sprint (taken off the turf because of late-night rains). I admittedly like the outside on a wet track, especially if I believe a horse has a chance. I believe this Storm Cat-bred chestnut filly has a shot in this one. This 3-year-old has: (1) decent wet-track lineage, (2) the services of John Velazquez; and (3) the training skills of George Weaver. The switch to the main’s a plus, as is the slight stretch-out.
Others: 6, 7, 4

Race Three:

:2: Pangburn looks like “the class” in this one, an OC route. This A.P. Indy-bred filly has been in an array of Grade II and Grade III Stakes events and, by far and large, has acquitted herself quite well. I am a little concerned that she didn’t do well in the slop in her last, yet that may have been an aberration (she didn’t do well on the turf in late May). Trainer Dick Dutrow does well with his charges when he takes the blinkers off. Javier Castellano, one of the best when it comes to gauging a race - it’s almost instinctive - is in the irons.

Others: 6, 3, 1

Race Four:

In another race that’s coming off the turf, I’m going with a ML 4-1 shot, :2: Sweet Advance. This Danzig-bred filly should do well in this race on a wet track that has been switched to nine panels on the main. This War Front-bred did finish eighth in a turf race at one mile, but she was only four lengths off the winner. This 3-year-old filly now stretches out an extra panel, I believe that should help. So too should the services of her connections: Johnny V and trainer Todd Pletcher.

Others: 4, 6, 7

Race Five:

In this optional claiming turf sprint likely to be run on the main, my choice is an MTO, :9: Bug Juice. This Patricia Farro owned and trained 7-year-old gelding has won three out of six wet-track tries. Although this gelding’s been off for a while, he’s still capable of winning this race now that it’s coming off the grass. A significant rider enhancement to Javier Castellano.

Other: 3

Race Six:

In this MSW main-track route, my pick is :7: Carrumba. This A.P. Indy-bred filly will need to be guided quickly into contention from her outside post as the horses push into that first turn in the blink; it comes up very quickly. This filly has finished second in both her pari-mutuel races. She now stretches out additional panels. That should help. The filly’s breeding suggests she should handle the off-going. Jose Ortiz for “Shug” McGaughey.

Other: 4, 2, 5

Race Seven:

In this turf sprint, I like the outside horses. I’m casting my lot in this allowance sprint with :9: Monoffire. This 5-year-old Storm Cat-bred gelding won his last; he’s certainly capable of repeating. This gelding does move up slightly into the winners’ category, but I believe he can stand the class hike. Angel Cruz in the irons for trainer Lisa Lewis.
Others: 10, 8, 5

Race Eight:

In this 6 and ½ furlongs claiming sprint my choice is :3: Tenango. This Lion Heart-bred gelding has won four times and finished second twice in seven wet-track tries. This gelding is dropping; he should find the current company to his liking. Cornelio Velasquez for David Jacobson.

Others: 11, 6, 10

Race Nine:

:7: Bruised Orange is my choice. I liked her the other day, but she was scratched out of the race. She’s going up against the boys; yet I believe she can do it. Rafael Hernandez for trainer Wesley Ward. Ward does well with shippers.

Others: 1, 5, 3

Race Ten:

:9: Imslopokerrodriguez is my choice in the finale, a MSW sprint. This Tale of the Cat-bred ran a relatively similar race at CD back in early May and finished second. Any slight improvement… Cornelio Velasquez rides, appropriately enough, for trainer Rudy Rodriguez.

Others: 6, 4, 8