PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga race 9 paddock

WP1981
08-20-2015, 05:16 PM
Are my eyes playing tricks on me or did I just see a gal ride and then remove an English saddle from the 7? I wasn't paying attention until she looked to dismount and remove the saddle before the horse was took to be saddled for the race.

Brogan
08-20-2015, 05:26 PM
I've seen a horse brought to the paddock with an exercise saddle on, then quickly switched to the jock's tack...it even made sense when it was explained to me, although I can't recall the reason now.

I've never seen someone ride a race horse into the paddock.

magwell
08-20-2015, 05:35 PM
I've seen a horse brought to the paddock with an exercise saddle on, then quickly switched to the jock's tack...it even made sense when it was explained to me, although I can't recall the reason now.

I've never seen someone ride a race horse into the paddock.Crafty Prospector years ago........

Ruffian1
08-20-2015, 06:09 PM

I've never seen someone ride a race horse into the paddock.

Horses can get "girthy". By that I mean that they react badly to a tight girth around their belly in the paddock. They will freeze and lung or flip. Never a good thing. Put one on before hand and it usually all goes away. Probably the deal, but obviously, not for sure.

As for riding them, it helps loosen them up behind or add blood to the back area where the jock will be if they have a weak back. Helps loosen up the hind muscles or back muscles that can get really tight. Very very helpful. Most won't do it because it requires Stewards OK first , so claimers and such don't get that treatment. But an expensive horse, or Stakes type will always get an OK and that is typically why.
There can always be a secondary reason but both answers are for about 80-90% of the time.
Hope that helps.