PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Thursday, August 20

Teach
08-20-2015, 12:34 PM
Race One:

“A plodder, a plodder, my kingdom for a plodder.” Yes, a bit of paraphrased whimsy from the “Ol’ Bard,” (not me) William Shakespeare (a heck of a turf sire, I might add). All right, seriously, as Sgt. Joe Friday used to say (stern-faced) on Dragnet: “Just the facts, ma’am.” In this claiming route on the main (I know I shouldn’t have had that “Bloody Mary”), I’m pickin’ the rail horse, :1: Jazz Band Joe. This Rock Hard Ten-bred filly looks like she can run all day. That just may be the ticket (a winning one, I hope). New trainer. New barn. Switching from grass (where she had little success) to the main (where she won her only race on a good track). She's faced better. Trainer Joe Lostritto is good with horses that have “been on the shelf”. Corey Lanerie, the Lafayette, LA native and Churchill Downs riding champ (he just beat out Julien Leparoux), is just too good to be “goose-egged”.

Others: :2: , :3: , :4:

Race Two:

:1: Barton Holt won his last, a MSW mile and one-half turf route at DP over two weeks ago; he now faces winners. There’s no question that this 4-year-old gelding can get the distance. The question is how effectively he can compete in this improved company. This gelding has since switched to the Hall-of-Fame trainer, Jonathan Sheppard’s barn. Sheppard does well with horses making their first start under his tutelage. In two turf tries, this gelding has won and finished third. Corey Lanerie is in the irons.

Others: :7: , :3: , :4:

Race Three:

:1: Money Changer is my pick in this 50k 7-furlongs claiming sprint n2L. I would think that the Hall-of-Fame jockey, John Velazquez, should be able to control the pace of this race. He’ll have to ration of this horse’s speed to prevail. The only game in town is a win bet or as part of a Pick 3, or an already wagered Pick 4. Todd Pletcher trains this grandson of Danzig.

Race Four:

“I don’t know,” or if you prefer, :1: Je Ne Sais Pas.. This Distorted Humor-bred was ambitiously entered in MSW company at Belmont in mid-June. In that one, after contending early, this Housebuster-bred chestnut colt faded; he finished sixth and last. Well, his connections have dropped him back in for “a tag”. This softer field may just be the right spot. Trainer Jason Servis keeps the blinkers on. Servis does well with horses that have been “on vacation”. I believe the “rail” start enhances this colt’s chances, especially if jockey Jose Lezcano can break out of the gate with him, alertly.

Others: :8: , :7: , :6:

Race Five:

:2: Elated is my pick in this MSW turf route. This Kitten’s Joy-bred filly was closing in her last; she ended up finishing third. I believe the two-plus panel stretch-out enhances this filly’s chances of getting her picture taken. One note of caution: this filly has, as the saying goes, has “burned up” scads of money as she has been the betting choice in her last three starts. Javier Castellano reprises the ride for trainer Christophe Clement.

Others: :3: , :8: , :10:

Race Six:

:5: Royal Posse is my choice in this 40k OC n2x state-bred route. This Posse-bred gelding finished second in a similar race on “The Spa’s” opening-day card. In fact, this gelding led late only to finish a half-length off the winner. Any slight improvement… The gelding’s trainer is Rudy Rodriguez; he does very well with horses making their second start off a claim. This gelding had a sharp recent work (5 panels, breezing, in 1:01). Javier Castellano reprises the ride (he’s finished second aboard this gelding in his two previous efforts).

Others: :4: , :6: , :7:

Race Seven:

:9: Startwithsilver is a first-time starter in this MSW New York state-bred turf sprint. I’m giving my lukewarm nod to this grey 2-year-old A.P. Indy-bred filly. Frankly, although there is a degree of turf pedigree, it’s not quite the kind of equine turf lineage that reassures me that she’ll take to the lawn at first-asking. Yet, having said that, if this filly does take to the grass, I believe she has a shot. In her favor is a most capable trainer, Linda Rice (although it should be stated that trainer Rice does not do well with horses making their turf debut) and a solid pilot, Jose Ortiz.
Others: :1: , :10: , :7:

Race Eight:

:1: Unbridled Juan is my pick in this n1x 85k allowance route. This Unbridled’s Song-bred grey ridgling has been a model of consistency; the ridgling finished second in this came general company in her last. Any slight improvement… Trainer Brian Lynch does an excellent job with horses that were beaten favorites in their last. This 3-year-old turned in a solid recent morning work. The razor-sharp Luis Saez is in the irons.

Others: :2: , :4: , :3:

Race Nine:

In this non-graded Union Avenue Stakes sprint for New York state-breds, my pick is :7: Willet. This 7-year-old mare won her last back in mid-January at Aqueduct, The Interborough. Any repeat of that effort… One note of caution: this grand-daughter of A.P. Indy has been on the shelf for many a moon, approx. 7 months. Yet, this daughter of Katina K has had an excellent morning work-tab. “El Dominicano,” Joel Rosario, is in the irons for trainer Jim Iselin.

Others: :6: , :4: , :5:

Race Ten:

In the finale, an MSW sprint, my choice is :9: Folk Song. Yes, I’m going out on the limb with a longshot try. This Medaglia d’Oro-bred filly gets my “mulligan” after finishing 6th in her only start back in mid May at Belmont against relatively similar. A solid recent work indicates that this filly may be ready to put in a good run. I think the outside post will help to alleviate any traffic problems. Luis Saez is in the irons for trainer Tom Albertrani

Others: :7: , :2: , :4: