PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Commercial Handicapping Program

JimG
08-19-2015, 03:41 PM
Been awhile since I posted a poll on what commercial handicapping software you are using to handicap the races. Not looking for homegrown or just speed and pace figs or past performances.

So, if you are using a "full featured" handicapping program to assist your play, which one is it?

Pensacola Pete
08-19-2015, 04:26 PM
I use Pete's Pony Picker (my own software). The good commercial software gets bet to death. I've never had much success with any of them.

raybo
08-19-2015, 08:44 PM
AllData RS Black Box. It's cheap but yes, it's "commercial".

JimG
08-19-2015, 08:59 PM
AllData RS Black Box. It's cheap but yes, it's "commercial".

Sorry I forgot you Raybo. No disrespect intended.

raybo
08-19-2015, 09:05 PM
Sorry I forgot you Raybo. No disrespect intended.

No problem, I'm not what you would consider mainstream. :lol:

crestridge
08-19-2015, 09:05 PM
JCapper plus one other commercial "tool", plus home "grown" Excel, plus some evaluation/handicapping of outputs of these "tools". Also use Dave's
HML money management "tool".

lsosa54
08-19-2015, 10:40 PM
AOdds Super Gold 98

NorCalGreg
08-20-2015, 12:46 AM
Still using Pops & Tips. The TIPS part is on software, which I run every day. POPS- to my knowledge never made it to software, nor was it ever needed. It's an odds-based concept than can be quickly learned.
-NCG

DLigett
08-20-2015, 08:10 AM
I'm fond of WagerMate ;)

Tom
08-20-2015, 10:09 AM
Snap Capper Pro??????

bugboy
08-20-2015, 10:10 AM
ok....... I use FCR Full Card Report

TBred17Roan
08-20-2015, 02:09 PM
Joe Zambuto Handicapping Software

lsosa54
08-20-2015, 08:36 PM
Snap Capper Pro??????

Isn't that a Tom Console software program, Tom. I was always wary of his stuff given it was on RPM. You find it useful?

peteman
08-20-2015, 09:05 PM
Synergism 4

Tom is pulling our leg, LOL

Snap capper link
http://quickplayhorseracingsoftware.com/snapcappro.html

rog9170
08-20-2015, 09:55 PM
It's awesome

raybo
08-20-2015, 11:26 PM
Synergism 4

Tom is pulling our leg, LOL

Snap capper link
http://quickplayhorseracingsoftware.com/snapcappro.html

Hmmm, I'm not charging enough for mine it appears. :bang:

fight
08-23-2015, 09:45 AM
hbd horse betting direct :ThmbUp:

Pensacola Pete
08-23-2015, 02:14 PM
Snap Capper Pro??????

That was seven versions ago. Since then it's been Snap Capper Deluxe, Snap Capper Supreme, Snap Capper Apogee, Snap Capper Ultimate, Snap Capper Excelsior, Snap Capper Zenith, and now Snap Capper Pinnacle.

FocusWiz
08-23-2015, 03:24 PM
hbd horse betting direct :ThmbUp:Are you indicating that they are offering a full-featured handicapping program based on their selection methods? If so, could you post a link?

Thanks.

fight
08-23-2015, 03:35 PM
no you purchase a track 7$ per track per day.
horsebettingdirect.com

FocusWiz
08-23-2015, 03:49 PM
horsebettingdirect.comThank you.

KPMats10
08-25-2015, 01:03 PM
Ending my All in One subscription this month.

Switching to JCapper. Currently also use MPH DOS version for pace handicapping.

Pick 'em Charlie
08-26-2015, 07:38 AM
Homemade software.

Partsnut
08-27-2015, 09:02 PM
I tried many of the commercial softwares but had my greatest success with "PaceAppraiser".
IMHO it was and still is the best pace handicapping software that ever hit the market.
It went hand and hand with a methodology that was developed by Randy Giles.

I know the site still exists but I don't believe they are taking new subscribers.
It seems that Randy & Jason Giles are no longer active with it and are nowheres to be found.
I believe they left the site up for their lifetime users.

I myself have not been active with horse racing but will add my input and opinions on rare occasions.

green80
08-29-2015, 05:36 PM
I tried many of the commercial softwares but had my greatest success with "PaceAppraiser".
IMHO it was and still is the best pace handicapping software that ever hit the market.
It went hand and hand with a methodology that was developed by Randy Giles.

I know the site still exists but I don't believe they are taking new subscribers.
It seems that Randy & Jason Giles are no longer active with it and are nowheres to be found.
I believe they left the site up for their lifetime users.

I myself have not been active with horse racing but will add my input and opinions on rare occasions.

Thats the kind of answer I was looking for.

QuickHorse
09-03-2015, 04:06 PM
For those who've created their own software and use pay data DRF/XRD files from Brisnet, you might want to free trial QuickHorse as it includes free data and has an export to DRF/XRD feature. No, it won't include all brisnet drf/xrd data because some of it is proprietary, but fractions, payouts, jockey, etc., some of the normally available data from a race chart is in there.

Mike

kingfin66
09-03-2015, 11:45 PM
horsebettingdirect.com

$7 per track per day? I thought the DRF was expensive!

LottaKash
09-06-2015, 08:54 AM
$7 per track per day? I thought the DRF was expensive!

Truly the "Sport of Kings".... :jump:

Hammerhead
09-12-2015, 09:26 AM
I have been using quickhorse for a few months with a profitable result. It took a few weeks to get use to it but know positive. I use it to backup Twinspire picks and have shown a profit 5 out of 6 days at least. Common sense is my plays as I have defined rules as to what I play. Not that many plays a day but well worth the time. If I have a losing day, it is because a horse has come in 3rd and paid $2.10 and others did not pay enough to cover. This can happen when I may only have 2 plays for the day. I don't check every track or race just play as I see the race come up if I am in front of the puter. This program is well worth the price and Mike answers e-mails quickly.

tucker
09-12-2015, 11:39 AM
NO times involved--Who beat Who--by what degree--at what weight :) :) :)

Jingle
10-01-2015, 08:43 AM
I was just wondering if there are any Massa's MPH or Bris's Multicap Software users in the "other" category above. Both these products have been around for a while as you know. "Other" has just over 20% of users.

completebill
10-12-2015, 05:55 PM
Ken Massa has moved on, and is now the creator/ purveyor of the HTR program, which is what I use (profitably) and heartily recommend. For what it's worth, it's been (and is being) used by the overwhelming # of successful Tournament Players.

The Program is free--you just have to for the HDW data. There's a free demo on the website. Your (free) purchase gives you perpetual upates and improvements, and Ken is constantly researching and coming up with some remarkable developments.

Yes, HTR does include very sophisticated pace-analysis features, but there is SO much more.

My advice--forget MPH!

Jingle
10-12-2015, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the reply Bill. As you can see by the poll above there is more than one way to skin the cat. MPH and HTR (much improved over MPH) are just a couple of them. I agree HTR is probably in a class by itself but don't short change JCapper.

Congrats on your great day Sat. at HourseTourneys. Great Cappin' Bill. Those bombs help.

completebill
10-13-2015, 07:37 PM
Thanks, Jingle---I am in no way Shorting the JCapper Software. I know it's a superior product, and that it has great customer support. It's an individual preference. After I'd tried Dozens (yes, literally), of the inferior products, I looked very closely at HSH, HTR, and JCapper. I rejected HTR because Dave, while a great guy, is just too scattered, and I also share a belief that I've seen expressed by others, that he holds back the best stuff for "private" clients, presumably paying big $$. (What ever happened to his ant hills??).
Jeff seemed like a great guy, and I liked the demo, But Ken Massa also impressed me in our initial conversation, and I liked both his demo and his website.
The final decider was the price HTR is FREE, with updates and support forever. I'm very happy with my choice. HOWEVER, had I decided to go with JCapper, I'm sure I'd be satisfied also.

UltimateBetter
10-13-2015, 07:49 PM
Great software.

PaceAdvantage
10-14-2015, 04:38 PM
I rejected HTR because Dave, while a great guy, is just too scattered, and I also share a belief that I've seen expressed by others, that he holds back the best stuff for "private" clients, presumably paying big $$. (What ever happened to his ant hills??).You've posted this multiple times, as an aside, but it's coming across as something else entirely different.

I'm sure Dave does contract work for people willing to pay him. But that doesn't mean he can include any of that work in HSH, even if it is deemed "superior."

If someone pays Dave $$$ to code a proprietary method, why in the world would you think his contract with the person paying him would allow him to put that in a publicly available piece of software (HSH)?

It's akin to buying a PC from Hewlett Packard and expecting to get the same level of coding and performance that they do for the Defense Department.... :bang: :bang:

Tom
10-20-2015, 02:29 PM
I rejected HTR....

Have you told Ken yet? :eek:;)

Pensacola Pete
10-21-2015, 03:24 AM
At one point or another I've tried HTR, HSH, JCapper, RDSS, Synergism 6, Quickhorse, and Netcapper. They all have their good points, and they all have some shortcomings. In the end, I use my own homegrown software that cranks out a few plays a week and makes a modest profit. I've never given up my day job, though. Anybody who can make a decent living betting thoroughbreds today is accomplishing something I can't do.

cbp
10-21-2015, 11:28 AM
I'm sure Dave does contract work for people willing to pay him. But that doesn't mean he can include any of that work in HSH, even if it is deemed "superior."

If someone pays Dave $$$ to code a proprietary method, why in the world would you think his contract with the person paying him would allow him to put that in a publicly available piece of software (HSH)?

Clearly, there's no debating the above. But would anything stand in the way of Dave using this code for himself? I seem to recall Dave writing that he wasn't profitable until a few years ago; and as a result of help from a (few) client(s). I then wonder if this was a result of some proprietary software enhancement. If so, and the 'public' program wasn't profitable, might there then be an issue?

thaskalos
10-21-2015, 11:37 AM
Clearly, there's no debating the above. But would anything stand in the way of Dave using this code for himself? I seem to recall Dave writing that he wasn't profitable until a few years ago; and as a result of help from a (few) client(s). I then wonder if this was a result of some proprietary software enhancement. If so, and the 'public' program wasn't profitable, might there then be an issue?
Is there such a thing as a "profitable program" being sold out there...or is it the HORSEPLAYER who ultimately decides whether the operation will be "successful" or not? Can a losing player transform himself into a "winner" by using the "right" program...or are these programs best left in the hands of those who are already winning, and are looking to further pad their bottom lines?

cbp
10-21-2015, 11:51 AM
Interesting question. I think all of these programs offer platforms for data analysis. Success would depend on the level, of the program and user, and the usability. I seem to recall that Massa is constantly updating angles/insights, thus giving a leg up to all his users. But I'm not referring to black boxes here, so anyone with racing knowledge could do the same, if not better, with Python.

DeltaLover
10-21-2015, 01:00 PM
Is there such a thing as a "profitable program" being sold out there...or is it the HORSEPLAYER who ultimately decides whether the operation will be "successful" or not? Can a losing player transform himself into a "winner" by using the "right" program...or are these programs best left in the hands of those who are already winning, and are looking to further pad their bottom lines?

I do not think that there exists such a thing like a "profitable program" if by this term you are referring to a black box spawning betting selections. Still, I am sure that the computer can definitely be used to implement several useful models that would have been impossible to evaluate by hand. These models include things like speed and pace figures, primitive handicapping factors, connection statistics etc.

I am not sure that a program can convert a looser to winner but I have no doubt that it can definitely improve his understanding of the game. Since I know you are a good poker player, you can think as an analogy the advantage a player has by using a hand range simulation when analyzing a specific hand or as another example you can think of the use of computers in the games of chess and backgammon...

raybo
10-21-2015, 01:25 PM
I've said this before, many times, software can be the best on the planet but some of it's users will still not be profitable. The old saying: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink" is appropriate. Even a black box program that has proven profitable, for some, could be a loser for others if the user doesn't follow the rules of the program, and/or it's wagering methodology, and/or perform the necessary maintenance/testing work, etc. that underlies the program.

I have little doubt that Dave either is now, or could be profitable if he devoted himself to playing, which I don't believe he does anymore. It becomes hard work and/or very boring for many, especially when the program/method requires betting multiple tracks and races every day. Many software creators get more satisfaction, and have more fun, from the creation/evolution process than from actual betting. That last sentence applies to me, for sure. I really dislike the act of gambling, and if it weren't for the profit I would not be doing it, that's for sure. I only play 2 or 3 days per week, at most, but I work in my program hours per day, every day.

thaskalos
10-21-2015, 01:34 PM
I've said this before, many times, software can be the best on the planet but some of it's users will still not be profitable. The old saying: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink" is appropriate. Even a black box program that has proven profitable, for some, could be a loser for others if the user doesn't follow the rules of the program, and/or it's wagering methodology, and/or perform the necessary maintenance/testing work, etc. that underlies the program.

I have little doubt that Dave either is now, or could be profitable if he devoted himself to playing, which I don't believe he does anymore. It becomes hard work and/or very boring for many, especially when the program/method requires betting multiple tracks and races every day. Many software creators get more satisfaction, and have more fun, from the creation/evolution process than from actual betting. That last sentence applies to me, for sure. I really dislike the act of gambling, and if it weren't for the profit I would not be doing it, that's for sure. I only play 2 or 3 days per week, at most, but I work in my program hours per day, every day.

Dave says that it takes him 45 seconds to handicap a race...and that he can handicap and bet 40 consecutive races, as they occur. Is that what you call "hard work" in handicapping races?

raybo
10-21-2015, 01:41 PM
Dave says that it takes him 45 seconds to handicap a race...and that he can handicap and bet 40 consecutive races, as they occur. Is that what you call "hard work" in handicapping races?

Betting that many races in that time period would indeed be hard work, for me anyway. And, I believe Dave said something similar not too long ago, on this forum. The betting part is what becomes hard work when you're betting that many races, back to back, trying to follow each race, look at odds, formulate bets, and place those bets, although I believe Dave's program does some of that work for him. Still, it's a tough grind sitting there race after race, for hours, every day. And, yes, it gets very boring, and very old, for me, very quickly. And my program handicaps a race in a couple of seconds, almost instantaneously when I click a race button. Still boring.

cbp
10-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Option 1: be your own boss. Work the hours you want. Do something few can.
Option 2: do like everyone else, work regular hours, constantly updating, marketing, and supporting your product.

Hard to believe anyone capable of 1 would opt for 2

thaskalos
10-21-2015, 01:55 PM
Betting that many races in that time period would indeed be hard work, for me anyway. And, I believe Dave said something similar not too long ago, on this forum. The betting part is what becomes hard work when you're betting that many races, back to back, trying to follow each race, look at odds, formulate bets, and place those bets, although I believe Dave's program does some of that work for him. Still, it's a tough grind sitting there race after race, for hours, every day. And, yes, it gets very boring, and very old, for me, very quickly. And my program handicaps a race in a couple of seconds, almost instantaneously when I click a race button. Still boring.

How many people out there can honestly say that their day's work isn't "boring"?

The vast majority of the people get up in the morning, get dressed, and drive in heavy traffic to get to a boring job...in order to work for an asshole boss. And they do it for FORTY YEARS!

And strolling into your study at your leisure, in your pajamas, and calling it a day whenever you feel like it...is considered so UNPLEASANT, all of a sudden?

Really? It's better to work for someone else...on someone ELSE's schedule? I just don't see it.

raybo
10-21-2015, 02:11 PM
How many people out there can honestly say that their day's work isn't "boring"?

The vast majority of the people get up in the morning, get dressed, and drive in heavy traffic to get to a boring job...in order to work for an asshole boss. And they do it for FORTY YEARS!

And strolling into your study at your leisure, in your pajamas, and calling it a day whenever you feel like it...is considered so UNPLEASANT, all of a sudden?

Really? It's better to work for someone else...on someone ELSE's schedule? I just don't see it.

I start my day with a cup of coffee and a cigarette, in my robe out on the porch while my computer boots up. Then I come in a start doing my thing, reading emails from clients and friends, update all my track workbooks with the previous day's race results, reanalyze the record keeping sheets for those track workbooks, and get ready to play the morning track(s), if I'm playing any morning tracks. If not I'm working in my "in work" workbooks, trying something new or making something work better or look better, etc.. Some time later, I'll get out of the house for a while, running errands, working in the yard, or vehicle maintenance, etc.. Then it's time for the evening/night races, if I'm playing any that day. If not, I'm back working in my program and doing the email thing until midnight or later. Sleep and get up and do it again.

I'm retired, so I can choose to do this, or something else, or nothing at all, it's up to me. I have a routine that works for me and keeps me going and mentally healthy. But, the gambling is still a grind, and a bore. Messing with my program allows me to let my mind go free, think out of the box, create for the fun of it. Not a bad life IMO.

But, if I was playing every track running, every day, I'd commit suicide.

thaskalos
10-21-2015, 02:12 PM
Option 1: be your own boss. Work the hours you want. Do something few can.
Option 2: do like everyone else, work regular hours, constantly updating, marketing, and supporting your product.

Hard to believe anyone capable of 1 would opt for 2

If I had seen your post sooner...I would have deleted mine. :ThmbUp:

raybo
10-21-2015, 02:18 PM
If I had seen your post sooner...I would have deleted mine. :ThmbUp:

All I can say Gus, is if you haven't been there and done that, meaning create software, do all the client support, and maintenance, and also play races, and all the other stuff that life requires, you just don't know how much of a grind it can become. It's easier and more pleasant to do things the way I do them, work when I want, play when I want, and do nothing when I want, than to bust my ass gambling at every track known to man every day. I hate that stuff!

thaskalos
10-21-2015, 02:22 PM
I start my day with a cup of coffee and a cigarette, in my robe out on the porch while my computer boots up. Then I come in a start doing my thing, reading emails from clients and friends, update all my track workbooks with the previous day's race results, reanalyze the record keeping sheets for those track workbooks, and get ready to play the morning track(s), if I'm playing any morning tracks. If not I'm working in my "in work" workbooks, trying something new or making something work better or look better, etc.. Some time later, I'll get out of the house for a while, running errands, working in the yard, or vehicle maintenance, etc.. Then it's time for the evening/night races, if I'm playing any that day. If not, I'm back working in my program and doing the email thing until midnight or later. Sleep and get up and do it again.

I'm retired, so I can choose to do this, or something else, or nothing at all, it's up to me. I have a routine that works for me and keeps me going and mentally healthy. But, the gambling is still a grind, and a bore. Messing with my program allows me to let my mind go free, think out of the box, create for the fun of it. Not a bad life IMO.

But, if I was playing every track running, every day, I'd commit suicide.

But that's just the thing; you DON'T have to play every track or every day. In fact...you don't "have" to do ANYTHING! You are your OWN boss...and no one tells you what to do.

I'm not talking about Dave, or about anyone else in particular here...but I see some "vendors" out there who suggest that they could "easily" become "professional horseplayers" if they so chose, but they don't want to go that route...not because the monetary reward wouldn't be sufficient...but because betting the horses is "just too much damn work". They could easily win big money in this game, they say...but they don't want to slave their life away in front of a computer.

As if someone was going to TIE them there...and they couldn't leave whenever they chose...or, take all the vacation time that they needed in order to "unwind". :)

thaskalos
10-21-2015, 02:30 PM
All I can say Gus, is if you haven't been there and done that, meaning create software, do all the client support, and maintenance, and also play races, and all the other stuff that life requires, you just don't know how much of a grind it can become. It's easier and more pleasant to do things the way I do them, work when I want, play when I want, and do nothing when I want, than to bust my ass gambling at every track known to man every day. I hate that stuff!

I have no bone to pick with you, Raybo...because I believe you when you say that you "hate the gambling aspect of this game". I have never heard a horseplayer other than you express it in such a way...but I have been a gambler all my life, and I have learned to deal with the uncertainty that it exudes. And I can easily see that this lifestyle isn't for everyone.

But you are one in 10,000, IMO. The other 9,999 would give their eye teeth for a truly profitable method...and they would use it to bet for the rest of their lives, or as long as the method remained profitable...whichever came first.

cj
10-21-2015, 02:59 PM
But you are one in 10,000, IMO. The other 9,999 would give their eye teeth for a truly profitable method...and they would use it to bet for the rest of their lives, or as long as the method remained profitable...whichever came first.

9,900 of them would still find a way to lose money.

raybo
10-21-2015, 06:02 PM
9,900 of them would still find a way to lose money.

Correct!

DeltaLover
10-21-2015, 06:48 PM
I have no bone to pick with you, Raybo...because I believe you when you say that you "hate the gambling aspect of this game". I have never heard a horseplayer other than you express it in such a way...but I have been a gambler all my life, and I have learned to deal with the uncertainty that it exudes. And I can easily see that this lifestyle isn't for everyone.

Thask, it is obvious that whoever makes this type of claims is either not telling the truth or he is not a (real) gambler. People who try to convince us, that they view horse betting as some type of a hobbit are simply chronic losers who struggle to hide their addiction (even from themselves!) and also try to minimize their betting because of their fears!

Some of the posters here, have gone very far with their stories, claiming that they followed the game for twenty years before they started betting, were profitable for 40 out of 42 years of betting or never became broke because of gambling!

I am wondering, does anybody believe in this crap?

If someone hates the gambling aspect of the game, he can find something else to do rather than pretend to be an expert and try to lecture people who die and resurrect multiple times per day as horses are crossing the finish line!

raybo
10-21-2015, 07:20 PM
But that's just the thing; you DON'T have to play every track or every day. In fact...you don't "have" to do ANYTHING! You are your OWN boss...and no one tells you what to do.

I'm not talking about Dave, or about anyone else in particular here...but I see some "vendors" out there who suggest that they could "easily" become "professional horseplayers" if they so chose, but they don't want to go that route...not because the monetary reward wouldn't be sufficient...but because betting the horses is "just too much damn work". They could easily win big money in this game, they say...but they don't want to slave their life away in front of a computer.

As if someone was going to TIE them there...and they couldn't leave whenever they chose...or, take all the vacation time that they needed in order to "unwind". :)

my responses were based on Dave being the topic of conversation regarding this subject, and of course my own personal experiences as a program creator/race player. I have no opinion regarding anyone else out there. But, I tend to think that, just like anything else, some tell the truth and some stretch the truth, or lie outright.

raybo
10-21-2015, 08:02 PM
Thask, it is obvious that whoever makes this type of claims is either not telling the truth or he is not a (real) gambler. People who try to convince us, that they view horse betting as some type of a hobbit are simply chronic losers who struggle to hide their addiction (even from themselves!) and also try to minimize their betting because of their fears!

Some of the posters here, have gone very far with their stories, claiming that they followed the game for twenty years before they started betting, were profitable for 40 out of 42 years of betting or never became broke because of gambling!

I am wondering, does anybody believe in this crap?

If someone hates the gambling aspect of the game, he can find something else to do rather than pretend to be an expert and try to lecture people who die and resurrect multiple times per day as horses are crossing the finish line!

Poor attempt at taking jabs at me, without mentioning my name. I personally don't give a dang what you think, but in defense of, and to clarify (if that is even needed by now) I've made in the past, whether you personally believe it or not:

I am in this game strictly because I make profit playing.

I hate "gambling", that's why I consider racing a business, in which I "invest" because that more closely reflects what I do. To me "gambling" means you are just waiting to lose, because you know the game is rigged against you. "Investing" means you have logical and proven viable reasons for expecting a positive long term return. Not just a dream, but real long term proven viability.

It is absolutely true that I studied racing for 20+ years before starting to bet seriously, while betting only twice, both times at Louisiana Downs, during that 20 year time period, allowing myself a $50 bankroll both times, win or lose. I began playing as a full time player in 2004, and except for 2005 when I did not play at all, due to stress and burnout of being forced to win in order to survive, and came back as a non-full time player, with a traditional job, and with supplemental income from race wagering being the only goal. I have been net profitable every year since.

Horse racing is not a "hobby" for me, it is a business and provides profit, otherwise I would not waste my time on it, I'd find something else to invest in.

I bet small to win large, over time, in superfecta play, and in the last 3+ years have started win betting also, using my win profits as cash flow in support of my superfecta play.

I don't particularly enjoy horse racing, but I do well despite that lack of passion for the game. That is why I worked so long and hard to automate my handicapping, to take away most of the drudgery and to prevent human error as much as possible.

I really like working in Excel, and have not used it for anything other than racing, except for a little general budgeting and record keeping. I have never taken a course or received any other professional instruction in Excel, everything I know about it was self taught and racing focused. I never used it in the 45+ years I worked in traditional jobs, or in my 8 year military service.

And, I have never referred to myself as an "expert" in anything. I just know what I'm capable of and what I'm not. I know what works for me in racing and I don't attempt to go beyond that.

There, that's it, believe it or not, but disbelieving it doesn't change any of those facts.

Secondbest
10-21-2015, 11:03 PM
I just searched for the htr website and my anti-virus(norton) has a red caution warning.It said there are 2 threats there.Not dangerous but proceed with caution.The threats were in 2 places the demo and the software.
The threats are called Trojan.Gen.SMH.2 same name for both.
Do any of the htr users here have any problems with this?

Bill the Pick
11-09-2015, 11:37 AM
mornin' guys,
Does Quickhorse allow downloading of horses' PP's?
Bill

aaron
11-10-2015, 09:54 AM
Poor attempt at taking jabs at me, without mentioning my name. I personally don't give a dang what you think, but in defense of, and to clarify (if that is even needed by now) I've made in the past, whether you personally believe it or not:

I am in this game strictly because I make profit playing.

I hate "gambling", that's why I consider racing a business, in which I "invest" because that more closely reflects what I do. To me "gambling" means you are just waiting to lose, because you know the game is rigged against you. "Investing" means you have logical and proven viable reasons for expecting a positive long term return. Not just a dream, but real long term proven viability.

It is absolutely true that I studied racing for 20+ years before starting to bet seriously, while betting only twice, both times at Louisiana Downs, during that 20 year time period, allowing myself a $50 bankroll both times, win or lose. I began playing as a full time player in 2004, and except for 2005 when I did not play at all, due to stress and burnout of being forced to win in order to survive, and came back as a non-full time player, with a traditional job, and with supplemental income from race wagering being the only goal. I have been net profitable every year since.

Horse racing is not a "hobby" for me, it is a business and provides profit, otherwise I would not waste my time on it, I'd find something else to invest in.

I bet small to win large, over time, in superfecta play, and in the last 3+ years have started win betting also, using my win profits as cash flow in support of my superfecta play.

I don't particularly enjoy horse racing, but I do well despite that lack of passion for the game. That is why I worked so long and hard to automate my handicapping, to take away most of the drudgery and to prevent human error as much as possible.

I really like working in Excel, and have not used it for anything other than racing, except for a little general budgeting and record keeping. I have never taken a course or received any other professional instruction in Excel, everything I know about it was self taught and racing focused. I never used it in the 45+ years I worked in traditional jobs, or in my 8 year military service.

And, I have never referred to myself as an "expert" in anything. I just know what I'm capable of and what I'm not. I know what works for me in racing and I don't attempt to go beyond that.

There, that's it, believe it or not, but disbelieving it doesn't change any of those facts.
This might be the best answer,I have seen on this or any other horse racing website.You are not the only person,I know who feels the way you feel. Certain people who profit from betting on horse racing,see the game as nothing more than an income generator. They don't care about who won any of the big races. In horse race betting,there is a place for many diverse opinions and methods,and I applaud anyone who makes a profit,no matter how or why,they play the game.

raybo
11-10-2015, 11:16 AM
This might be the best answer,I have seen on this or any other horse racing website.You are not the only person,I know who feels the way you feel. Certain people who profit from betting on horse racing,see the game as nothing more than an income generator. They don't care about who won any of the big races. In horse race betting,there is a place for many diverse opinions and methods,and I applaud anyone who makes a profit,no matter how or why,they play the game.

Well, I do know the names of the horses in the big races, because I have more money invested in those races. Plus, how could I discuss those races here without knowing the names? :lol:

aaron
11-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Well, I do know the names of the horses in the big races, because I have more money invested in those races. Plus, how could I discuss those races here without knowing the names? :lol:
I understand that. What I was trying to say{not successfully} is big races are not more important than everyday races in terms of looking for a profit.

raybo
11-10-2015, 11:27 AM
I understand that. What I was trying to say{not successfully} is big races are not more important than everyday races in terms of looking for a profit.

Correct! The big races offer larger pools to bet into, so the potential reward is larger, thus you can justify investing more money into those betting pools.

Flysofree
01-19-2016, 11:31 AM
I'm only familiar with a few of the programs on the list and the only one (that I am aware of ), in which the user does not have to download something else is BetMix. Are there other handicapping programs that are what I call, "self-contained", doesn't make them good better or worse.

mabred
02-27-2016, 08:56 AM
e-ponies.com

Farrier
07-16-2020, 02:10 AM
I'm returning to racing after a long hiatus, and would like to resume with Pace Appraiser.
I have the Lab and Velocity and was wondering if you have the course from the Forum that went with the ppp's (they can't currently be accessed) or could put me on to someone that might.
I'm also the owner of the original Velocity Generator but my passcode no longer opens the program. I think Giles abandoned it (I'd love to get that revived).

I thank you in advance for any consideration you may give me, and remain
Yours,
Peter Manti

Partsnut
07-16-2020, 11:43 AM
I'm returning to racing after a long hiatus, and would like to resume with Pace Appraiser.
I have the Lab and Velocity and was wondering if you have the course from the Forum that went with the ppp's (they can't currently be accessed) or could put me on to someone that might.
I'm also the owner of the original Velocity Generator but my passcode no longer opens the program. I think Giles abandoned it (I'd love to get that revived).

I thank you in advance for any consideration you may give me, and remain
Yours,
Peter Manti

Hi Pete,

PaceAppraiser no longer exists. The site software has not been updated for quite a few years and is not being offered to the general public.

I am probably one of the few that has a lifetime membership to the site that has a password, an old XP computer, a older version of Firefox with an obsolete version of Java. I am fortunate enough to have the ability access the site and convert a data file into a PaceAppraiser file. Randy and I have a long standing friendship and we converse every so often.
He can still be contacted by email on his website, www.paceappraiser.com (http://www.paceappraiser.com)

I have put in a call on your behalf and hopefully he will respond in a day or two. I have informed him of your post. I am reasonably sure that he will check this site and might even respond to you.

You can always feel free to contact me at the email listed below.

Stay safe and stay well.

Partsnut
07-16-2020, 02:44 PM
Pete,

Your interest in PaceAppraiser revived my interest and memories of
a fantastic application that I used successfully here on this board back in 2009 (P.A.I.H.L) contest and in the 2009 Meadowlands survivor contest (most wins category).

I will stick my neck out and post tonights EVD race card picks to see if PaceAppraiser is still effective for me.

Please see attached file.

Handiman
07-17-2020, 01:17 AM
Ouch.

Partsnut
07-17-2020, 11:54 AM
Ouch and then some. :lol:

It's been a while since I used that application.
I will try it in tomorrows 14 races at MTH (The Haskell Day Challenge).
Maybe I'll do better. Anyhow, you know what they say, nothing ventured, nothing lost.:popcorn:
Free contests work for me.

Stay safe, Stay well.

HPFridays
07-18-2020, 10:15 AM
Partsnut,

Thanks for your info on PaceAppraiser and it not being updated for sometime. I was kinda thinking of buying it but now that I know I'd need XP/Java etc. I think it's best I don't. I do own the Extreme Pace Handicapping manual and have always liked Mr. Giles' work.

Looking forward to your MTH post today.

Best of luck

Partsnut
07-18-2020, 11:27 AM
Partsnut,

Thanks for your info on PaceAppraiser and it not being updated for sometime. I was kinda thinking of buying it but now that I know I'd need XP/Java etc. I think it's best I don't. I do own the Extreme Pace Handicapping manual and have always liked Mr. Giles' work.

Looking forward to your MTH post today.

Best of luck

Hi,

I was speaking with Randy yesterday and he mentioned to me that
he was contemplating the possibility of making " PaceAppraiser as a stand alone software (one time purchase) as opposed to an internet based subscription application.
Hopefully, he will do just that. This way all you need would be a data file and
then "off to the races".:D
This of course is dependent on his son's available time, who is the programmer.

I know that Randy still has a following and I for one would be all in on whatever he comes up with.
Let's hope he follows through with this.