PDA

View Full Version : WORKOUT REPORTS

v j stauffer
08-19-2015, 12:57 PM
Need advice on what you guys think is the best workout report service for NY & Florida tracks.

Thanks

v j stauffer
08-21-2015, 08:53 PM
Really? All of PA Nation can't help me with this? Am I being given the silent treatment?

lamboguy
08-21-2015, 09:54 PM
Really? All of PA Nation can't help me with this? Am I being given the silent treatment?i have seen a few of them, they are no better than the ones in Southern California, strictly a waste of time. i have a few friends that clock horses at the track and they would never publish them in a million years. once in awhile when they tell me they have something special that is going to work, i go to the track and watch them with my own 2 eyes.

v j stauffer
08-21-2015, 10:21 PM
i have seen a few of them, they are no better than the ones in Southern California, strictly a waste of time. i have a few friends that clock horses at the track and they would never publish them in a million years. once in awhile when they tell me they have something special that is going to work, i go to the track and watch them with my own 2 eyes.

I think workout reports in California are an extremely important component to a comprehensive overall opinion.

The sheet put out by Andy Harrington IMO is top notch.

If you're a player and need to streamline tickets in multiple race wagers his service is awesome for that.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the times he has hated a work and the horse ended up winning.

So, Sir Lambo, we're apart on this one.

WoxFan
08-21-2015, 10:32 PM
I use Bruno DeJulio's reports: http://brunowiththeworks.com/

thespaah
08-22-2015, 12:31 AM
Having been present to watch AM works on numerous occasions, I often find myself questioning the accuracy of the posted times and more so the validity of said published elapsed times.
It just seems like an inexact science.
I had a friend who for a couple years was a groom at Monmouth and Meadowlands. He told me flat out "the trainers lie to the clockers"....
While watching the works I tried to figure out where in the hell the timing started and finished.
Anyone who is so inclined I invite to give me the short version on how clockers are able to do their work and maintain accuracy in identifying horses as well as other data.

Stillriledup
08-22-2015, 02:20 AM
Having been present to watch AM works on numerous occasions, I often find myself questioning the accuracy of the posted times and more so the validity of said published elapsed times.
It just seems like an inexact science.
I had a friend who for a couple years was a groom at Monmouth and Meadowlands. He told me flat out "the trainers lie to the clockers"....
While watching the works I tried to figure out where in the hell the timing started and finished.
Anyone who is so inclined I invite to give me the short version on how clockers are able to do their work and maintain accuracy in identifying horses as well as other data.

What do they
Lie about?

lamboguy
08-22-2015, 02:54 AM
What do they
Lie about?
it doesn't matter if they lie or make mistakes. its like almost everything else in the horse race betting game, you pay money for information and data and still lose. its the same in financial markets, watch television for stock touts, the are almost never right.

about 30 years ago i use to watch the Dorfman report on FNN(that was the network that turned into CNBC} he came on around noon and pumped stocks. they would immediately go from $10-$11 or more in fifteen seconds flat. in 2 days the stocks were either back to $10 or less. its the same thing in horse betting.

if the clockers do happen to put out a decent sheet, then there will be to many follower's to knock down the price so you can't win.

to win at this game, DO YOUR OWN WORK.

thespaah
08-23-2015, 12:13 AM
What do they
Lie about?
I believe he was implying the deception was on the actual horse's name.
In other words, they'd tell the clockers it was "HOrse A" when it was actually a different horse.
Of course that was the early 80's...
My more important point is the accuracy and validity of the posted times..Also I'd like a brief description on how the clockers actually do their work.....

olddaddy
08-23-2015, 11:32 AM
it doesn't matter if they lie or make mistakes. its like almost everything else in the horse race betting game, you pay money for information and data and still lose. its the same in financial markets, watch television for stock touts, the are almost never right.

about 30 years ago i use to watch the Dorfman report on FNN(that was the network that turned into CNBC} he came on around noon and pumped stocks. they would immediately go from $10-$11 or more in fifteen seconds flat. in 2 days the stocks were either back to $10 or less. its the same thing in horse betting.

if the clockers do happen to put out a decent sheet, then there will be to many follower's to knock down the price so you can't win.

to win at this game, DO YOUR OWN WORK.

Thats always been my thoughts. Some here may be able to get info from clockers that others cant get and that may turn to gold. But if one is just looking for a published sheet I think its a waste of money.

GatetoWire
08-23-2015, 12:23 PM
Need advice on what you guys think is the best workout report service for NY & Florida tracks.

Thanks

Bruno DeJulio does a great job covering NY and Florida.

Florida is a bit of a challenge because Palm Meadows and Gulfstream both have huge horse populations. Bruno covers both of these but Pletcher and George Weaver are stabled at Palm Beach Downs and there was a big stink about allowing private clockers on the grounds so at this time no one has access to clock those works privately.

pandy
08-23-2015, 12:28 PM
Andy Harrington's So. Cal report is excellent but I don't know about the NY reports.

elhelmete
08-24-2015, 06:08 PM
I've only dipped my toe into a couple paid services, and maybe I should try others.

My biggest issue with them is score compression. It seemed like the vast majority of grades (for the services that use the academic A-F scale), was that most works fell in the B- to A- range. IMHO, that's not a big enough spread to represent the range of works from a morning. I just won't believe that 200 workers on a Wednesday morning were all B+ works.

WoxFan
08-24-2015, 06:34 PM
I've only dipped my toe into a couple paid services, and maybe I should try others.

My biggest issue with them is score compression. It seemed like the vast majority of grades (for the services that use the academic A-F scale), was that most works fell in the B- to A- range. IMHO, that's not a big enough spread to represent the range of works from a morning. I just won't believe that 200 workers on a Wednesday morning were all B+ works.

I worry less about score than the written comment: who did it work with? Did the horse have blinkers on and is racing without blinkers? under restraint or asked all out?

ultracapper
08-25-2015, 01:58 AM
I worry less about score than the written comment: who did it work with? Did the horse have blinkers on and is racing without blinkers? under restraint or asked all out?

Knowing who the horse worked with could be very valuable.