PDA

View Full Version : Smarty Jones THE PHILLY HORSE

Binder
06-05-2004, 07:47 PM
Well how sad I am, and I'm sure so many others are too
Its just one of the things that make it so hard Its also more reason to look forward that
SOMEDAY it could happen. These loses make it so much to look forward to for next time.
NBC did a tremendous job they handeled a very a sad moment very well
Everyone was just so nice and showed such great Class
Congratulations to Team Birdstone and Mr Zito
I salute you.
For as Mr Prado said we were "just doing our job"

Go on now Smarty . You will forever be remembered as
Philly's champion and Hero and thanks for 6 weeks of a great ride

Binder

OTM Al
06-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Felt a real emptiness for a bit after the race too. And this is from a New Yorker who had no desire to back Funny Cide last year.

So he finished 2nd in the Belmont, but it was a pretty strong second all the same when you only lose by a length and the next horse isn't even in the picture. 3-1-0 in your first 4 graded stakes races is nothing to sneeze at to be sure. No one else in any of the fields he faced this year can say near as much. Had Birdstone run the same sort of race as he had been much of this year, Smarty would have stumbled across the line with an 8 length win and no one would have said he couldn't get the distance or mistakes were made.

I don't think we've seen the best of this fellow yet at all. I was hoping he'd be back for the Haskell, but it looks like he's off until the PA Derby. Think I'll have to make my reservations soon to go watch him flog the field in the Donn next year. As for older competiton, Medaglia D'Oro is now gone and who knows how many others will give it up before all is said and done. There's a lot of big wins in his future I think.

Personally, I can't wait to see it all unfold.