PDA

View Full Version : American Pharoah works, perfectly.

Grits
08-16-2015, 05:01 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/93723/american-pharoah-perfect-in-del-mar-work

Official split times from the clockers were :12 2/5, :24 3/5, :35 4/5, and :59 4/5 with a 1:13 3/5 gallop out. Head clocker John Malone noted the horse was well within himself for the move.

taxicab
08-16-2015, 10:35 PM
He's a Superstar.
In a league of his own.

Zaf
08-17-2015, 12:13 AM
So then the Travers is a go ?????

classhandicapper
08-17-2015, 09:11 AM
I have clubhouse seats for the Travers. It would be great to witness a win in that race after seeing the Belmont and Haskell.

All that said, this horse still has a lot of doubters. IMO, that means he only has a couple of races left to prove himself and leave no doubts. The Travers is starting to look like there won't be much quality speed against him. Another win against 3yos with a loose lead in the Travers is not going to sway anyone. He's going to have to win the Classic. Given that he's going to have to win the Classic, I have to question the wisdom of shipping east again, running 10F on a tough Saratoga track, shipping back again, and then possibly being forced to run one more time to get the spacing right for the Classic. I have very mixed feelings. Part of me wants to see him sweep the table and leave no doubts, but part of me is worried he's going to leave his best race on the track heading into the Classic and come up short. Then the critics will come out of the woodwork. He's had a long tough campaign already.

FantasticDan
08-17-2015, 10:56 AM
All that said, this horse still has a lot of doubters. Can you name me a couple, I'm genuinely curious. And I don't mean forum trolls..

classhandicapper
08-17-2015, 11:48 AM
Can you name me a couple, I'm genuinely curious. And I don't mean forum trolls..

I don't think everyone on this forum that thinks he's gotten a few easy trips or hasn't run exceptionally fast is a troll.

I've heard two respected people say that he needs to beat older horses to verify his stature (like Slew) and others that still seem to be quite anxious to bet against him. If you truly think he's a great horse, you aren't worried about Honor Code and Tonalist and if you are anxious to bet against him with horses like that, you can't possibly think he's an all time great horse.

My feeling is that he's a great horse, but I wouldn't want to go into the Classic at less than 100%. There are no easy trips in the Classic so you better be 100%.

Fager Fan
08-17-2015, 01:12 PM
Did he work 4f or 5? Weird reporting.

tucker6
08-17-2015, 02:07 PM
Did he work 4f or 5? Weird reporting.
He worked 5F and clocked out to 6F according my eyes.

Fager Fan
08-17-2015, 02:50 PM
He worked 5F and clocked out to 6F according my eyes.

The article said 4, and so does the official clocking. Looked like 5 to my eyes too and that's a 5f work time in 59 and change.

horses4courses
08-17-2015, 07:18 PM
Ears pricked. Happy horse.

BYFZ5HnU10U

Grits
08-17-2015, 08:09 PM
Baffert mentioned that the Haskell took a lot out of AP due to the heat and humidity. I can't recall the exact temperature on Haskell Day, maybe, ClassHandi. or others who were at Monmouth will recall.

It was really, really hot and humid, here, today. If AP had been running this afternoon, he would've struggled, particularly, in this humidity. I thought I was leaving this 11 hours south. Hopefully, it'll get cooler. :faint:

Grits
08-20-2015, 08:46 AM
We shall see...

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/American-Pharoah-owner-If-workout-goes-well-6453359.

Grits
08-21-2015, 08:58 AM
http://www.saratogian.com/sports/20150820/horse-racing-travers-question-still-lingers-for-american-pharoah

One gets the feeling that the public, here, at Saratoga, is not half as concerned whether American Pharoah runs ... as the folks with nothing better to do than sit on Twitter awaiting the connections decision.

Seriously, gentlemen. :lol:

horses4courses
08-21-2015, 10:46 AM
I think he works again on Sunday.
Read that somewhere on twitter yesterday....... :lol: