PDA

View Full Version : Winning at Saratoga

BELMONT 6-6-09
08-15-2015, 07:59 AM
Do you find winning at Saratoga is far more important then any other meeting? At this point I am in the red and will be forcing myself to simply play my best game day after day as opposed to playing catch up for the purpose of beating the Saratoga meeting after day 40.

Winning at Saratoga has become a primary goal for me the past few years and this year is no exception. Let's face it whether you win at Saratoga or at Aqueduct in the dead of winter the money is still green, but for me it is the 40 day boutique meeting that is paramount. Does anyone out there have the same focus to beat this meeting, even for a few bucks? LOL

Ocala Mike
08-15-2015, 01:43 PM
Sure, especially "back in the day." Used to go up there from Long Island and stay in my friend's cabin on Lake George "on the cheap." Basically would stay up there until my gambling bankroll ran out, so of course it was extra important to win at Saratoga. The difference between fine dining and fast food each night, too!

cj
08-15-2015, 01:52 PM
Money is money, whether won at Saratoga, Belmont, or Fair Meadows.

thaskalos
08-15-2015, 05:33 PM
You beat me to it. :ThmbUp:

What good is beating Saratoga...if you blow the money at some other track?

Hoofless_Wonder
08-15-2015, 06:22 PM
It's not so much the winning that's far more important at the Spa, but without a doubt it offers some great racing and some great value. If you concentrate on just a few meets per year, then the Spa is logically one of them, along with Keeneland, and to a lessor degree Del Mar and the winter racing at Gulfstream. Since handicapping the Spa takes some extra effort, then by default it becomes a higher priority to show a profit there.

One thing I've noticed this year, besides all the inquiries, is the race day seems longer. Starting at 1:00 PM and finishing up at 7:00 PM. I kinda like that extra time for 'capping, but it sure makes the day longer. Ellis starts an hour later (or 50 mins) and finishes up over an hour earlier....

Appy
08-15-2015, 10:42 PM
I'm pretty much a "one track at a time" guy. This is the first year I've played Saratoga on an every race day basis. Very glad I made that choice and expect to do the same each year. May be my winningest meet ever in terms of getting high winner % day after day. Wish it lasted all year. :jump:

Ocala Mike
08-15-2015, 11:14 PM
Yeah, Appy, looks like you're knocking them dead this season. I've had some decent winners at the meet (today, caught Mulin and Grand Arch), but haven't had a major gimmick score. For example, didn't play the 8/9/10 P/3 today, but probably would have had the over $600 for $1 hit for a small P/3 investment.

Money management and wagering management the weak weapons in my arsenal.

raybo
08-16-2015, 02:17 AM
I'm pretty much of the same opinion as CJ and Gus, a profitable meet is a profitable meet, regardless of the track. However, my black box doesn't work as well in turf races as it does on dirt, so I have to do some "old-school" capping at Saratoga because of the larger number of turf races. Doing that did get me Grand Arch in the FourStarDave, also, my black box had him rated 2nd but after including class and distance capability ratings to my preferred method for Sar it ranked on top. Those two ratings always enter my capping in turf routes, along with my best performing method for each track. Most of the tracks I play don't run as many turf races as Sar.

So, my original opinion is still true, I just have to do some extra work at the Spa in all those playable turf races. The higher average payouts are just too good to pass up.

Robert Fischer
08-16-2015, 10:45 AM
Of course winning at Saratoga is worth a little more!

This is racing of the highest quality. You have a higher percentage of playable races. You have more contenders and deeper strategic dynamics. There's something for everyone.

Do you find winning at Saratoga is far more important then any other meeting? At this point I am in the red and will be forcing myself to simply play my best game day after day as opposed to playing catch up for the purpose of beating the Saratoga meeting after day 40.

Winning at Saratoga has become a primary goal for me the past few years and this year is no exception. Let's face it whether you win at Saratoga or at Aqueduct in the dead of winter the money is still green, but for me it is the 40 day boutique meeting that is paramount. Does anyone out there have the same focus to beat this meeting, even for a few bucks? LOL

BELMONT 6-6-09
08-16-2015, 10:51 AM
Showing a profit at the completion of the Saratoga meeting is a major accomplishment for a recreational player like myself. I work harder at this meet then any other time of the year as I have some vacation time during the meet which makes the experience that much more rewarding.

OTM Al
08-16-2015, 11:19 AM
Gave up on Saratoga because I was not winning, but now proud to say I am a winner at Canterbury!

Robert Fischer
08-16-2015, 12:33 PM
Showing a profit at the completion of the Saratoga meeting is a major accomplishment for a recreational player like myself. I work harder at this meet then any other time of the year as I have some vacation time during the meet which makes the experience that much more rewarding.

They've got some nice races today. :ThmbUp:

BELMONT 6-6-09
08-16-2015, 07:23 PM
Thanks gentlemen this posting must have brought me good luck as I hit the late Pick 4 today at the Spa ( $415) going 1x1x2x3. I am happy to announce I am now slightly in the black for the meeting on a wager that I do not play too often ( who's a figured it) !!!

Hope you all had a winning day today

ultracapper
08-17-2015, 11:32 AM

3-1 pays $8 at Fair Meadows, same as Saratoga.

cj
08-17-2015, 11:50 AM
3-1 pays $8 at Fair Meadows, same as Saratoga.

This is true. Of course you have to be smart about it, and there are certainly better opportunities at the bigger tracks because of pool size. I can easily bet $200 on a 3-1 at Saratoga...Fair Meadows I probably can't bet 20 without denting my price enough to matter.